Do PC gamers miss going to the store to buy games?

  • 141 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#1 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (26101 posts) -

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

Avatar image for PonchoTaco
#3 Posted by PonchoTaco (3185 posts) -

No, I prefer to sit and browse cheap sales on Steam, GoG, GMG, Gamersgate, etc.

Avatar image for JigglyWiggly_
#4 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24616 posts) -

No. If I want a physical copy I'll buy it from amazon.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#5 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

ew yea I hate virgins, like @lostrib who stalks my every move trying to be my friend. But having the actually physical copy, its nice to actually have it, the box art is cool, the disc is good to have so you can resell it or trade if you want.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
#6 Posted by deactivated-583e460ca986b (7240 posts) -

I like having the physical copy but sometimes I don't feel like putting pants on. So being a console AND PC gamer is the best of both worlds.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#7 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

I like having the physical copy but sometimes I don't feel like putting pants on. So being a console AND PC gamer is the best of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure its legal to go out in just your underwear

Avatar image for amazonangry
#8 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

PC gamers miss having games, period.

Avatar image for faizan_faizan
#9 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

No.

Avatar image for NFJSupreme
#10 Posted by NFJSupreme (6545 posts) -

Nope. It's 2014 I do at least half of my shopping if not more online.

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#11 Edited by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@amazonangry You aren't trying hard enough.

Back to the topic,depends on the game mostly. I got a physical copy of BF4 because that was a 50 gb+ game. I prefer digital though... the amount of sales and benefits of digital due tend to outweigh physical.

Avatar image for Sword-Demon
#12 Posted by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

I don't go to the store for any games, pc or console.

Steam and Amazon are an unconquerable combination.

hmm.. could I have a grammar nazi look at that above statement? should it be is or are? Feels wrong either way...

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (96997 posts) -

*opens Steam store page*

*sees game he's been wanting for a couple weeks is on sale for 75% off*

*buys and downloads without getting off the couch*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

Avatar image for m3dude1
#14 Posted by m3dude1 (2272 posts) -

the only time i ever buy a game online for any platform is if a physical copy isnt available at all. im not into renting my games.

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#15 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

*sees game he's been wanting for a couple weeks is on sale for 75% off*

*buys and downloads without getting off the couch*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

Here's a thread of people showing distaste towards digital distribution.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/yusuf-mehdi-on-the-original-xbox-one-policies-31351149/#101

Avatar image for melonfarmerz
#16 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

PC gamers miss having games, period.

There's like 10 games for PS4 right now...

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#17 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14406 posts) -

I do but after remembering those scratches on CDs ... Yeah , I prefer digital download now . However , there should be option for box product as well because sometimes it is cool to have DVD of your most anticipated game . But the problem is games' size which is becoming bigger and bigger .

Avatar image for melonfarmerz
#18 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

I would. Some boxes were amazing and some still are (SC2) but steam sales make the lack of physical copies worth it. Plus there's no need to change discs, I can play on any computer, my saves are protected in the cloud, and I don't need a massive shelf for my games. Plus without Steam, there's no way I would have 90% of the games in my library.

Avatar image for lawlessx
#19 Posted by lawlessx (48753 posts) -
@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

so you make a thread asking a question,but then to us how we should feel?

I don't miss it one bit...enjoy waiting in lines

Avatar image for topgunmv
#20 Posted by topgunmv (10753 posts) -

I don't even buy my console games in a store anymore, all my physical copies are ordered online.

Also you can get most pc releases in a physical copy if you want. I'll still buy a physical copy of games I'm hyped for.

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#21 Edited by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@lawlessx said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

so you make a thread asking a question,but then to us how we should feel?

I don't miss it one bit...enjoy waiting in lines

This, great point. With pre-loads becoming readily available for most digital games. One wouldn't have to wait in line at a midnight release to obtain the game go back home begin to install it yadda yadda. The digital game will just be ready when the game is released. Aka at midnight or sometimes even sooner.

Avatar image for SexyJazzCat
#22 Posted by SexyJazzCat (2784 posts) -

Not when i can buy them for 5-10 bucks.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#23 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

PC gamers miss having games, period.

ahahahahahahaha, so true.

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#24 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@amazonangry said:

PC gamers miss having games, period.

ahahahahahahaha, so true.

Avoiding all the other comments?

Damn plebs are narrow-minded.

Avatar image for lostrib
#25 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

ew yea I hate virgins, like @lostrib who stalks my every move trying to be my friend. But having the actually physical copy, its nice to actually have it, the box art is cool, the disc is good to have so you can resell it or trade if you want.

You're the one who randomly brought me up in a thread that I've had nothing to do with

Avatar image for lostrib
#26 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#27 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

no that lacks environmental conscientiousness

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#28 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

@bldgirsh said:

@lawlessx said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

so you make a thread asking a question,but then to us how we should feel?

I don't miss it one bit...enjoy waiting in lines

This, great point. With pre-loads becoming readily available for most digital games. One wouldn't have to wait in line at a midnight release to obtain the game go back home begin to install it yadda yadda. The digital game will just be ready when the game is released. Aka at midnight or sometimes even sooner.

waiting in lines? I have never in my entire life waited in line to buy a game.

Avatar image for melonfarmerz
#29 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

i just paid 40 dollars for The Witcher 3 before it even came out. The physical copy will cost 60 bucks for the next year... sooooooo

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#30 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

@bldgirsh said:

@lawlessx said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

so you make a thread asking a question,but then to us how we should feel?

I don't miss it one bit...enjoy waiting in lines

This, great point. With pre-loads becoming readily available for most digital games. One wouldn't have to wait in line at a midnight release to obtain the game go back home begin to install it yadda yadda. The digital game will just be ready when the game is released. Aka at midnight or sometimes even sooner.

waiting in lines? I have never in my entire life waited in line to buy a game.

Well, obviously not. You would have to be 17+ with a state ID for a rated M game. But, I can guarantee your parents had to wait in line to pick up your games before.

Avatar image for lostrib
#31 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

okay? I don't see your point?

Avatar image for intotheminx
#32 Posted by intotheminx (2590 posts) -

No. There is absolutely no need to go to the store and buy a game. I can download it cheaper digitally and not have to worry about a damaged disc. When I was a kid it was awesome with cartridges and such, but now it just makes more sense.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#33 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

okay? I don't see your point?

digital takes your rights away.

Avatar image for lostrib
#34 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

i just paid 40 dollars for The Witcher 3 before it even came out. The physical copy will cost 60 bucks for the next year... sooooooo

Although, if I remember correctly, the Witcher games are actually decent as retail copies since the regular versions usually include some physical bonuses

Avatar image for lostrib
#35 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

okay? I don't see your point?

digital takes your rights away.

what does that have to do with what I said?

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#36 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

okay? I don't see your point?

digital takes your rights away.

what does that have to do with what I said?

He's stuck in a corner and is just blurting out non-sense to try to flee.

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#37 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

@bldgirsh said:

@lawlessx said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

so you make a thread asking a question,but then to us how we should feel?

I don't miss it one bit...enjoy waiting in lines

This, great point. With pre-loads becoming readily available for most digital games. One wouldn't have to wait in line at a midnight release to obtain the game go back home begin to install it yadda yadda. The digital game will just be ready when the game is released. Aka at midnight or sometimes even sooner.

waiting in lines? I have never in my entire life waited in line to buy a game.

Well, obviously not. You would have to be 17+ with a state ID for a rated M game. But, I can guarantee your parents had to wait in line to pick up your games before.

im in my 20s, maybe they did a decade ago but even then nobody ever carded me for buying a game... all that stuff started within the last 5 years

Avatar image for lostrib
#38 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

digital takes your rights away.

what does that have to do with what I said?

He's stuck in a corner and is just blurting out non-sense to try to flee.

I feel he may have missed the point of what i said

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#39 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@bldgirsh said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

Isn't it nice to have the game physically.

@bldgirsh said:

@lawlessx said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

so you make a thread asking a question,but then to us how we should feel?

I don't miss it one bit...enjoy waiting in lines

This, great point. With pre-loads becoming readily available for most digital games. One wouldn't have to wait in line at a midnight release to obtain the game go back home begin to install it yadda yadda. The digital game will just be ready when the game is released. Aka at midnight or sometimes even sooner.

waiting in lines? I have never in my entire life waited in line to buy a game.

Well, obviously not. You would have to be 17+ with a state ID for a rated M game. But, I can guarantee your parents had to wait in line to pick up your games before.

im in my 20s, maybe they did a decade ago but even then nobody ever carded me for buying a game... all that stuff started within the last 5 years

In your 20's? Man, you really do need to grow up then...

Avatar image for ps4hasnogames
#40 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bldgirsh said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

digital takes your rights away.

what does that have to do with what I said?

He's stuck in a corner and is just blurting out non-sense to try to flee.

I feel he may have missed the point of what i said

no you missed my point, its nice to have the physical copy of a game so you can exercise your right to sell it or trade it for newer games. or if you don't like the game you can return it and get a new one and not be stuck with it.

are you slow?

Avatar image for Basinboy
#41 Posted by Basinboy (13364 posts) -

no lol no

Avatar image for lostrib
#42 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@bldgirsh said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

digital takes your rights away.

what does that have to do with what I said?

He's stuck in a corner and is just blurting out non-sense to try to flee.

I feel he may have missed the point of what i said

no you missed my point, its nice to have the physical copy of a game so you can exercise your right to sell it or trade it for newer games. or if you don't like the game you can return it and get a new one and not be stuck with it.

are you slow?

Where did I say I wasn't buying a physical copy of the game? You asked about if PC gamers miss going to big box stores to purchase titles.

@lostrib said:

Well I order just about everything online anyways, so I wouldn't use big box stores either way

In other words, regardless if I purchased everything digitally or physically, I would not be using big box stores because in general I prefer just ordering it online.

are you slow?

Avatar image for sailor232
#43 Posted by sailor232 (6829 posts) -

I'd buy everything online if I could, food and all if New Zealand supported it more. Buying from the comfort of my own place, at my own time, without wasting an hour just to find out EB Games, The Warehouse etc only got in 2 copies of Pokemon X/Y in stock and surprise surprise they are all sold out. I can sit at home in my own comfort and not worry about games being sold out, some douche-bag trying to tell me whats cool, then worrying about getting robbed while I carry a Games bag home. Plus the amount of bums, charity people begging for money, I'd rather avoid all that.

Avatar image for lostrib
#44 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@bldgirsh said:

Well, obviously not. You would have to be 17+ with a state ID for a rated M game. But, I can guarantee your parents had to wait in line to pick up your games before.

im in my 20s, maybe they did a decade ago but even then nobody ever carded me for buying a game... all that stuff started within the last 5 years

I don't know specifically about carding, but the no M rated games to kids thing started more than 5 years ago. I clearly remember having to have a parent to purchase Diablo 2

Avatar image for wis3boi
#45 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

last thing i need is useless boxes, discs, spending time driving to the store, etc. Takes me a matter of minutes to download most games.

Avatar image for AdrianWerner
#46 Posted by AdrianWerner (28440 posts) -

Why would I? In Europe stores are filled with pc game boxes and where I live (Poland) they are often a lot cheaper than on Steam, so I mostly buy retail.

Avatar image for remiks00
#47 Posted by remiks00 (3797 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

10/10, would read again!

Avatar image for aroxx_ab
#49 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

*sees game he's been wanting for a couple weeks is on sale for 75% off*

*buys and downloads without getting off the couch*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

You cant own things that you cant touch with your hands, digital distribution feels just like a rental. I miss the old days when you had those big boxes and you actually got a big manual, map of the game world etc included and you didnt have to bind your cdkey to some online account service.

Avatar image for happyduds77
#50 Posted by happyduds77 (1688 posts) -

I don't.

I buy my games on steam unless I really like the game then I will buy the physical copy.