warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5223 Posts

Over the past couple of years I've seen alot of hate for E3 online. People saying it's not needed anymore and companies should just do their own digital events. I must be in the minority or something but so far from what I've seen from these digital reveals I find them weak and boring it's a slow drip I'm not a fan. It feels lazy and soulless. I understand this year is different because of Covid-19. But do you guys actually like these digital reveals? for me I miss E3 already I like watching E3 live press conferences and seeing game reveal after game reveal instead of this slow drip we get every other week or two.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9226 Posts

I don't see why anyone would hate a specific event. That wouldn't make sense. Regardless, E3 is essentially dead. The pandemic was probably the final nail in the coffin. End of an era. Kinda sad actually.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14766 Posts

What i hate about these conferences that they are full of indie games that no one cares, then some music/song segments, then some trash talking no one cares. basically if 1 hour event. only 15 minutes are worth watching. rest is filler.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30662 Posts

Don’t know. I can’t say that I’ve seen a lot of hate for E3 although I have seen some but you’ll see that for everything online. Personally I love E3. I enjoy all the pomp and circumstance around it, the big reveals, etc. These video presentations just aren’t the same for me.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 42476 Posts

Hate isn't the word for E3, just irrelevant is what's the problem with E3. Ever since the rise of social media, it just makes E3 itself not worth watching when everything gets leak before E3 starts. I don't hate E3, I just find it meh today now and E3 isn't like what it used to be back in late 90's and after 2013, gaming media just does it better.

Gamers don't hate E3, but the big companies that do and that's because E3 is really expansive as hell! Nintendo knew E3 was dying out and went digital because of it, Sony now knows they can do their own digital event and call the shots, and while MS still goes to E3, they rather set up a camp outside of E3 cause again, E3 is expensive. Last year, E3 leak a lot of personal data to all the major gaming journalist and the rest of the gaming companies putting them at risk and E3 mess up big time, who would trust E3 with your personal data now?

Food for thought, E3 is just meh at this point. Yes the digital events are weak but you gotta remember, no one didn't expect E3 to be cancelled this year, some were planing to go but never consider digital events until now.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 warmblur

@davillain- said:

Hate isn't the word for E3, just irrelevant is what's the problem with E3. Ever since the rise of social media, it just makes E3 itself not worth watching when everything gets leak before E3 starts. I don't hate E3, I just find it meh today now and E3 isn't like what it used to be back in late 90's and after 2013, gaming media just does it better.

Gamers don't hate E3, but the big companies that do and that's because E3 is really expansive as hell! Nintendo knew E3 was dying out and went digital because of it, Sony now knows they can do their own digital event and call the shots, and while MS still goes to E3, they rather set up a camp outside of E3 cause again, E3 is expensive. Last year, E3 leak a lot of personal data to all the major gaming journalist and the rest of the gaming companies putting them at risk and E3 mess up big time, who would trust E3 with your personal data now?

Food for thought, E3 is just meh at this point. Yes the digital events are weak but you gotta remember, no one didn't expect E3 to be cancelled this year, some were planing to go but never consider digital events until now.

You make good points and I understand that E3 really screwed up with the personal data stuff but even with all that crap and the leaks that come out I still prefer E3 anyday for what we have now I'm old and like my cringy live press conferences lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46897 Posts

E3 is a giant circle-jerk of an advertisement.

I dislike everything about it; the hype, the lies, the presentations, the resulting fanboyism, and so on.

Plus I just don't think it is needed. I also did not like how it was all about so-called AAA publishers. Needs more indie stuff.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14766 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Plus I just don't think it is needed. I also did not like how it was all about so-called AAA publishers. Needs more indie stuff.

its funny because E3 is more about 2D indie stuff than AAA games. 90% of games shown at E3 are indie.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 7723 Posts

Hate is too strong. But for me it didn’t live up to the hype the last few years, not even close. Watching E3 just wasn’t worth it, especially since many of the conferences were in the middle of the night lol.

I also think that companies tried to reduce the cringe and “just show the games”as gamers requested. Problem is that watching trailers for two hours gets kind of boring. It also made the live stage kind of pointless. E3 lost its identity as per gamers request.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 1022 Posts

I enjoy e3

A gamer enjoying a gaming show,(the best gaming show)who would have thought it eh

HaH

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
@warmblur said:

You make good points and I understand that E3 really screwed up with the personal data stuff but even with all that crap and the leaks that come out I still prefer E3 anyday for what we have now I'm old and like my cringy live press conferences lol.

I forgot to mention this. My biggest issue with E3 as of lately is the lack of gameplay! Gamers are getting sick of false advertising trailers that looks all pretty good and no gameplay is a turn-off now more then ever. Back then, E3 show lots of gameplay and like @mrbojangles25 said, it became the giant circle-jerk advertisement which makes E3 look like its now for investors over its gamers.

@mrbojangles25 said:

PC Game Show actually shows tones of Indie games and stuff is one of the things I always look forward to. PC Game Show is the perfect place showing Indie games, I like what E3 does for PC gamers alike.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46897 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

its funny because E3 is more about 2D indie stuff than AAA games. 90% of games shown at E3 are indie.

It never really seemed that way, but then again I never really payed attention to it outside of Gamespot's coverage of it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 8674 Posts

I just have no interest in it. I haven't cared since the 7th gen. I don't care enough to hate it. I can pick uip all the news from the next days headlines.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36907 Posts

I like it, see some new trailers, maybe some gameplay, that is all I expect and it does that.

But, gamers like to find reasons to hate just about anything.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1486 Posts

Haha, this seems like a perfect representation of the world.

"They show too many indies"..."they don't show enough indies"

"Not enough AAA"..."sick of AAA"

"Irrelevant"..."exactly what I want"

"It's just a big advertisement"..."yes, that's how you sell your products"

I have felt let down by the past few e3s, but that doesn't mean I want it to die, it means I want them to do better. Sonys nonsense with Billy the flute guy, or Microsoft's tv,tv,tv schlock are easy targets and need to go, but patching those holes rather than burning down the ship seems like a better solution to me.

E3 has been something I look forward to every year. Before smartphones (back in my day grandpa talk) I would go to work and then be treated with hours of events, interviews and game play videos when I got home. It was one of my favorite things to do all year. I learned about new games, heard directly from developers, etc. It had its moments of ups and downs, but I had a week packed with content and news to consume. Then somewhere in the past 5-7 years the murmurs of irrelevance started to creep in. And now there seems to be a vocal minority/majority? that is glad for it's demise... but what have they gained?

Personally I hate the Nintendo direct model. It's small scale, impersonal, underwhelming, etc. It's just weird to see people so passionately clamor for less.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 3924 Posts

Why would I want to listen to PR suits who try to act like human on these shows and cover up their borderline predatory practices. Having a clip of actual gameplay is more than enough and cost effective.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6338 Posts

The worst/funniest part of e3 is the middle aged presenters trying to act all hip and cool.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39999 Posts

Hating E3 is hip now. Its like EA hate but even hipper.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

I think gamers have hated E3 ever since it was soullessly commercialized (beginning of the PS3/Xbox360 era).

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By warmblur

@Pedro said:

Hating E3 is hip now. Its like EA hate but even hipper.

lol looks that way.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5688 Posts

I won't miss Todd's face.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 55976 Posts

I loved E3, but there's no denying that it's a cash-drain for companies... Tech has evolved enough to reach a similar amount of consumers via streaming avenues. Sony backed out first, and I think Covid just killed the expo in general.

Hell, I loathe going to the cinemas anymore. I'd rather sit on my couch and watch a movie, rather than drive somewhere to sit with 100+ other people. Hell, the nearest cinema that offers booze in Canada (to me) is over an hour drive.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2536 Posts

Yes, E3 is dying. I don't think they are dead yet but they are dying a slow death, the worst kind of death. Some people are actually enjoying it.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 9

#25 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2483 Posts

I personally don't hate it. I've never necessarily watched everything it has to offer. Generally just the Nintendo presentations and Sony.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23831 Posts

It's a trade show though, right? Randomers can't go and it isn't for them?

It was silly how hyped it was 10 years ago but it shouldn't be dismissed today. It's just a normal show, don't expect the world and you won't be disappointed.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13897 Posts

Not hated, but it seems less relevant or needed now.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 6869 Posts

I enjoy E3 events but the ESA is a garbage fire.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#29 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3495 Posts

I always look forward to E3, its fun a exciting to see what devs have to show. But it is slowly fading out as others have decided to hold their own style of presentation like Ninendo's Ninendo Direct or Sony's State of Play.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25332 Posts

People love the announcements and feeling of E3 time.

The ESA (which runs E3) is garbage and should die. To make matters worse, E3 itself is not needed, as Nintendo Directs and equivalents replace it just fine. It's a relic of a time when game companies needed to go through press outlets to advertise their products. With Twitch and Youtube, there is no need for that.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16783 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

What i hate about these conferences that they are full of indie games that no one cares, then some music/song segments, then some trash talking no one cares. basically if 1 hour event. only 15 minutes are worth watching. rest is filler.

There you have it folks, Doom Eternal is an indie game no one cares about as confirmed by casual4ever as this was shown at E3 2019 lol

Loading Video...

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16783 Posts

I like E3 as its a place for all devs to show off their games in the one place at one time. These streaming events held by MS/Nintendo/Sony are garbage, they are many and aren't worth the time and they drip feed shit all year.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1157 Posts

Never used to miss one, used to get excited every year. But along the way, something changed. Not sure if it was me or E3, maybe both. Kinda got sick of all the cheese, fake laughs and applause. Presenters stopping mid sentence, waiting for laughter or applause. Sorry, but I'll laugh when I want, not when they tell me to. Too fake and underwhelming for me it became. Haven't watched more than a few minutes of the last few years. Pretty sure I missed nothing of significance.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25927 Posts

Meh. E3 is filled with so much bullshit. It was cool. Now it's mostly embarrassing. It's nice to just have the game announcements in a video instead. Nintendo directs have been great. Would be cool if all companies did that.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63076 Posts

It's a trade show and it has value as a trade show, but the industry itself seems to be turning on it way before the gaming audience did. The gamer audience, being the corporate shills that they are get stupid hyped every year, and every year big shill some trailer where a game was announced but showed zero gameplay.

That type of stuff pubs realized is shit they can do through out the year and on larger platforms than E3. Kind of upsetting to think that this mediums trade show is only ever about the bullshit marketing. Like the Tech industry still has trade shows, even tho a Youtube presentation is better for promoting a lot of shit. Is what it is.

Beyond that I can't stand how gaming marketing is handled. Games being announced years before they are even ready to be shown, much less releasing. Games being shown without fucking gameplay, the defining characteristic of this medium. All wack. Not fond of the game, but how Fallout 4 was marketed is how I want games to be announced n shown.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 141

#36  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11981 Posts

I like E3, but there are too many fake demos and CG trailers. I want to see actual representations of the games.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 352 Posts

I loved E3 over the years and always looked forward to it. Years ago I used to feel excited when it was getting close to hopefully see some unknown announcement be shown to the public, even the disaster conferences were entertaining lol. It did become a bit lacklustre toward the end but it was a fun ride. The rivalry between the companies was fun for gamers and it was nice to see some devs have their moment in the spotlight. I will miss E3 and don't think these directs will never feel like the mega event that E3 was.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10138 Posts

I love E3 for the mega gaming event that it is. The silly moments in Ubisoft's presentations, the epic moments like Keanu Reeves' stage appearance for Cyberpunk and the occasional worthwhile game announcements and showcases.

This year's E3 would possibly feature an official gameplay reveal of Starfield (if it comes out this year). It's moments like these that make me look forward to E3 every year.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 warmblur

@BassMan said:

I like E3, but there are too many fake demos and CG trailers. I want to see actual representations of the games.

Unfortunately that will never go away even without E3.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#40 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5813 Posts

E3 was cool. Watching streams with fellow gamers, getting to check those surprising smaller games and AAAs, corporations completely out of touch with reality, CEOs making fools of themselves. The ground reports and interviews were cool. Omar Rabara was a legend.

But corporations now tell us that isn't cool, so that isn't cool.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

Only Phony and Nintendont fans hate'em and only because as everyone knows, MS always wins. :P

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5959 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Only Phony and Nintendont fans hate'em and only because as everyone knows, MS always wins. :P

I don't get why Xbox guys liked MS conferences so much. They're full of multiplats, small games and cancelled and unmaterialized projects. They were the worst of everything that E3 represented. Just a lot of bloat. I don't miss E3. I'm fine with information coming when it comes.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@SecretPolice said:

I don't get why Xbox guys liked MS conferences so much. They're full of multiplats, small games and cancelled and unmaterialized projects. They were the worst of everything that E3 represented. Just a lot of bloat. I don't miss E3. I'm fine with information coming when it comes.

Eh, opinions man but I was just messing around here as usual.

TBH, ever since the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) started, later changed for gaming to E3, I have always got hyped and loved to see and hear all about new upcoming games, consoles and gadgets for gaming and will miss it a whole lot.

Well, less now because these dayzz I'm much older and the hobby for me is nowhere near as exciting as it was 20-30 years ago. :P

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online

@SecretPolice said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@SecretPolice said:

Eh, opinions man but I was just messing around here as usual.

TBH, ever since the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) started, later changed for gaming to E3, I have always got hyped and loved to see and hear all about new upcoming games, consoles and gadgets for gaming and will miss it a whole lot.

Well, less now because these dayzz I'm much older and the hobby for me is nowhere near as exciting as it was 20-30 years ago. :P

I'll just say that I do like E3's MS conference only because they show more 3rd-party games then Sony does. Nintendo barely shows 3rd-party games. I'm in my 30's and I would still be hype for E3 but the problem is, social media just ruins the fun out of E3 and just about every major gaming companies are now backing out of E3 thus making E3 itself irrelevant.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 556 Posts

The problem is these developers and publishers are too scared or under some bizarre NDA and don't put out any trailers or gameplay on their own. These dolled up game trailers featuring zero gameplay do nothing for me and haven't since E3 2005. The game industry treats everything as if it is Top Secret Classified instead of remembering what gaming is supposed to he about, and that is fun. It is for this reason the current era can't touch the 90s and early 2000s. BTW I like E3.