Do dou Think The Sales Gap Between Xbox Scarlett and PS5 Will be like this Gen?

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

I definitely don't think so.

Do I think Xbox Scarlett will leave the PS5 in the dust like the 360 did the PS3 for most of last gen? No. However, that still remains to be seen.

Do I think the Xbox Scarlett and PS5 will be pretty close, or at least closer in sales next gen than this gen? Yes, definitely. Xbox has bought two handfuls of devs in the past year or so. Among them being Obsidian and Double Fine. Microsoft obviously isn't wanting to do a repeat of the Xbox One's exclusive lineup with the Scarlett. Plus, they already have one massive game confirmed for it, (Halo Infinite). And Fable 4 will obviously be on the Scarlett.

They're also focusing on major hardware improvements to allow for much better fps, and next to no loading times

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

Pricing will be a factor as it always is but games are huge for launch. If Sony has a horizon 2 or ghosts of Tsushima it will be difficult for ms out of the gate.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Should be closer this time. MS is learning.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

Yes

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

Just so as long as both Sony/MS learned from each other what work and what didn't. MS focus on the wrong side since Xbox One reveal and the results still hunt them to this day not being nowhere near as PS4 sale wise. As long as MS focus on delivering good games and with good marketing, I think Scarlett will be on par with PS5.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

We will never know, since MS don't share sales numbers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

It would not matter with game streaming being a thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Pedro said:

This. The margins on hardware are so thin that Sony and Microsoft will start shifting their focus to streaming when the time is right. Software sales will be where the money is made. This is why we see Microsoft pimping their games out to any outlet that will have them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

No, I don’t think the sales gap will be as large as this gen has been. I’m expecting Microsoft’s and Sony’s next gen systems to be quite close to each other in both specs and price. Also they’ve been acquiring a lot of developer talent so I’m sure they’ll have a lot of software to entice gamers.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts

lol at 360 leaving PS3 in the dust sales wise.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

The 360 lost to PS3 last gen, the xbone got absolutely pooped on by the PS4 this gen and next gen the PS5 will bury the nextbone.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2018 Posts

That all depends on the games i think. If MS have shitty games again next gen they might get burried. Do something new instead of milking Halo Gears and Forza

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

SONY DOMINATION CONTINUATION

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@blamix said:

That all depends on the games i think. If MS have shitty games again next gen they might get burried. Do something new instead of milking Halo Gears and Forza

This. They need more new and interesting games. They need to be willing to step outside of their comfort zone. They killed it with Cuphead when they finally tried to do something new.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@thatdbfan: lol the PS3 ended up beating the 360.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

It will most likely do a lot worse next gen than this gen if MS keeps their current course.

@Pedro said:

News flash, game streaming has been a thing this entire generation, just not in the world of xbox fanboys.

FYI: The market leader Sony has been game streaming this entire generation. Xbox adopting it next gen will be just as insignificant for them as it was for Sony this gen only with a smaller userbase to pull from.

Sony isn't putting AAA exclusives on a steaming service day and date like MS will do and xbox's mediocre exclusives won't entice anyone other than xbox zelots to sing up to a monthly service to play those kinds of games.

The company who provides the most attractive CONSOLE and gains the largest user base will rule in every other front just like every gen. PERIOD. All other hair brain unproven theories about success other than this have PROVEN to be nothing more than fanboy wet dreams.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

I mean, I don't know if it's going to be as mind-blowingly humiliating next gen as it has been this gen for MS, but one thing is for sure: MS is going to lose to Sony, again. This is because that is what MS does. They lose to Sony. Every time.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

No, definitely not. It'll be much closer this time.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

MS has snapped up some solid devs, so it'll be interesting to see. One would hope they would avoid the TV/Kinect (alternative) route again, but ya never know.

LordLobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LordLobo
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

MS won't pull the same crap they did this gen. So, I highly doubt there will be a repeat.

MS is killing it with backwards compatibility, and Game Pass. I think those will help them in the long run.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoxRekt
@lordlobo said:

MS won't pull the same crap they did this gen. So, I highly doubt there will be a repeat.

MS is killing it with backwards compatibility, and Game Pass. I think those will help them in the long run.

Game Pass is one reason why MS has failed this gen.

Not Game Pass itself but the desperate way with how they're using it.

Releasing "AAA" games day and date of console release on a cheap rental service anyone can cancel at any moment will guarantee 3 things.

1. MS will not provide true AAA budgets for their high profile games.

2. LESS overall profit from each "AAA" games than Sony or Nintendo who sell their high profile AAA titles for $60 while new.

3. Less profit from "AAA" games will GUARANTEE less investment from MS into new "AAA" development which will equal less incentive to buy MS systems for those games.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy, it's confusing how xbox fans don't see the flaw in MS's strategy. MS has done nothing but devalue their games with Game pass this generation.

If people can play a AAA game for $1 and then cancel after a month who how many are going to actually still spend that $60 to own it? The answer...just look at MS's "AAA" sales after Game Pass was made a same day release this gen. Look at the quality of "AAA" games from MS not called Halo/Forza/Gears this gen.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@boxrekt said:

News flash, game streaming has been a thing this entire generation, just not in the world of xbox fanboys.

FYI: The market leader Sony has been game streaming this entire generation. Xbox adopting it next gen will be just as insignificant for them as it was for Sony this gen only with a smaller userbase to pull from.

Sony isn't putting AAA exclusives on a steaming service day and date like MS will do and xbox's mediocre exclusives won't entice anyone other than xbox zelots to sing up to a monthly service to play those kinds of games.

The company who provides the most attractive CONSOLE and gains the largest user base will rule in every other front just like every gen. PERIOD. All other hair brain unproven theories about success other than this have PROVEN to be nothing more than fanboy wet dreams.

No, it hasn't. Don't pretend as if PS Now is somehow relevant. Google has rocked the boat with its introduction of Stadia. Game streaming is going to be a thing in the coming years and its not because of PS Now but because bigger companies like Google. To state that is was thing generation is simply false.

Sony didn't put their AAA exclusives on their game streaming because it was not "a thing" as you falsely stated. Sony also realize that they are not up to handle the upcoming competition thus they are seeking outside avenues to expand and adapt to the changes in the market.

The largest gaming market is not consoles and would continue not to be consoles in the future. The future of gaming is going to be hardware agnostic. Fanboys like yourself are going to continue to be irrelevant. :)

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ThatDBFan

@Zero_epyon said:

It did for most of the gen at least. Even at the end, Sony never confirmed the PS3 outsold the 360.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoxRekt

@Pedro: Sorry Streaming was here all this generation and Sony provided it. Deal with it.

Just because you're a desperate fanboy your silly argument it doesn't change facts. Streaming doesn't matter only when you want to.

FACT: Streaming was available all this generation! Cry, scream and ignore reality all you like but nothing will change this reality.

Streaming is not in demand from the majority of gamers and you'll have to face this reality when next generation starts and the highest selling consoles still dominate the market and streaming remains a novelty.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThatDBFan

@subspecies said:

I mean, I don't know if it's going to be as mind-blowingly humiliating next gen as it has been this gen for MS, but one thing is for sure: MS is going to lose to Sony, again. This is because that is what MS does. They lose to Sony. Every time.

Xbox 360 wants to know your location.

But yeah, I don't think they'll beat Sony, but they'll be close I'm pretty sure. But as I said, that remains to be seen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:

But yeah, I don't think they'll beat Sony, but they'll be close I'm pretty sure. But as I said, that remains to be seen.

X360? You mean that thing that lost ultimately to the PS3?

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ThatDBFan

@pdogg93 said:

The 360 lost to PS3 last gen, the xbone got absolutely pooped on by the PS4 this gen and next gen the PS5 will bury the nextbone.

In truth we don't really know if the PS3 beat the 360 as neither company to the best of my knowledge confirmed the final sales numbers. But from what I know, the 360 was still in the lead from the last official report. The other numbers were just popping up out of knowwhere. Some places saying the sales were 88 mill vs 85 mil, 86 vs 85 etc.

Plus, the PS3 spent most of the gen chasing the 360's coat tails. So what I said still stands.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThatDBFan

@subspecies said:
@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:

Was never confirmed by MS or Sony. The last official report we have from them (to the best of my knowledge), was a couple of years before they were discontinued, which put the 360 at a 1 mil lead.

Side note, I will give Sony props for being able to catch up to such a big gap in sales.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Pedro: Lol, its cute that you think Stadia has "rocked the boat".

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ThatDBFan

And it seems some cows got triggered over me mentioning the 360 and PS3 sales.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@boxrekt said:

@Pedro: Sorry Streaming was here all this generation and Sony provided it. Deal with it.

Just because you're a desperate fanboy your silly argument it doesn't change facts. Streaming doesn't matter only when you want to.

FACT: Streaming was available all this generation! Cry, scream and ignore reality all you like but nothing will change this reality.

Streaming is not in demand from the majority of gamers and you'll have to face this reality when next generation starts and the highest selling consoles still dominate the market and streaming remains a novelty.

LOL. Seems you are living in denial of streaming being a bigger deal because of Stadia. No one gave a shit about PS Now because it was mostly offering last gen games and a shitty solution to BC. Stadia and Xcloud would be offering current and future games, thus the reason game streaming is going to be more relevant. Even your lord and saviour Sony realized this, so they are working providing the Playstation Experience (thier words not mine) with or without a Playstation console. Stop living in denial and being a shill. The company you are shilling can see the change in the market, its only you are struggling to face reality.

I understand that the move to gaming being hardware agnostic is really causing you to be distress. :)

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoxRekt
@Pedro said:
@boxrekt said:

LOL. Seems you are living in denial of streaming being a bigger deal because of Stadia. No one gave a shit about PS Now because it was mostly offering last gen games and a shitty solution to BC. Stadia and Xcloud would be offering current and future games, thus the reason game streaming is going to be more relevant. Even your lord and saviour Sony realized this, so they are working providing the Playstation Experience (thier words not mine) with or without a Playstation console. Stop living in denial and being a shill. The company you are shilling can see the change in the market, its only you are struggling to face reality.

I understand that the move to gaming being hardware agnostic is really causing you to be distress. :)

"streaming being a bigger deal because of Stadia"

lol based on what?

What are Stadia's profits compared to consol...Oh wait.

"Stadia and Xcloud would be offering current and future games, thus the reason game streaming is going to be more relevant."

More relevant doesn't mean anything really.

Can you quantify "more relevant" in actual figures? Other than MS and Stadia "offering" streaming...how exactly is it more significant? With guessing???

"they are working providing the Playstation Experience (thier words not mine) with or without a Playstation console."

News flash again Pedro, that was already offered this gen. Sony offers it NOW! This is NOTHING new for Sony you confused little man.

Talk about shilling, you don't even realize that everything you're hyping Sony has already offered and offering now.

YOU think it matters more because MS is going to do it next gen...LMFAO!!!! THAT'S SHILLING!

Like I said fanboy wet dreams is all you have to go on. Throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.

Highest selling console provider will dominate (in streaming as well) in everything like usual and corporate fanboys who jump on PR bandwagons like mindless muppets will switch to the next DOA hype propaganda their corporate overloards dream up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Whenever cows mention 360/PS3 sales it always has to end in an *

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

#34 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 488 Posts

Price is gonna be a deciding factor. If it's over $400 then they have lost already. Offering Halo at launch is great but they need to add a 1-2 punch. There needs to be a second quality game that launches alongside it to really get the edge. Also launching earlier than the PS5 is gonna be a plus too.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@boxrekt:That's a lot of words but not much of anything. In the last 7 years of this generation when did anyone talk about game streaming to any substance until this year? You are living in deep denial if you actually believe that streaming has always been a thing. I know that facts and reality are your weakness but its easy accept if you are not blinded by other factors. Game streaming is going to more present starting this year because of Stadia.

VR had more of presence than PS Now but here you are pretending that game streaming has always been a thing. LOL.

Time for you to accept that gaming is going to be hardware agnostic. Your fanboy career is in jeopardy. LOL

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

I'm betting the sales difference in units sold will have the Xbox selling one unit per every ten or twenty the PS sells at start, and it'll only get worse from there.

Microsoft are great hardware developers, and once they make some effort they can be AAA-level game developers, but their capacity to properly build a game library is, well, abysmal. Sony will always win simply because Sony understands a proper game library is the lifeblood of a console.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BoxRekt
@Pedro said:

:... you are pretending that game streaming has always been a thing. LOL.

For this gen, It has!

It's just the fact that no one cares. That's the point you're missing.

Keep the corporate shill wet dream alive until reality punches you in the face again like all the other MS PR nonsense you lemmings have ran with then gen only to flip flop when everyone collectively told you xbots and MS to **** off.

"Generations are dead"

lol a MS narrative you've ran with and got punched in the face for already when MS backtracked.

"Single player games are dead"

Another MS PR narrative of that you blindly ran with like a true corporate shill and have been embarrased for when MS's games as a service titles all FLOPPED while Nintendo and Sony Single player exclusives still top charts months/years later.

Now

"Streaming is the future, hardware doesn't matter"

It won't be the first time you're proven wrong and made a fool of for blindly following MS PR and I'm sure it wont be the last.

keep the corporate shill wet dream alive..flip flop after flop flop.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts
@thatdbfan said:
@Zero_epyon said:

It did for most of the gen at least. Even at the end, Sony never confirmed the PS3 outsold the 360.

Are we talking World Wide or US only?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:
@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:

Was never confirmed by MS or Sony. The last official report we have from them (to the best of my knowledge), was a couple of years before they were discontinued, which put the 360 at a 1 mil lead.

Side note, I will give Sony props for being able to catch up to such a big gap in sales.

Sony confirmed the PS3 sold 87.4 million as of March 2017. This is coming from Sony themselves. The last official Xbox 360 sales numbers from MS place it at around 85 mil (somewhere around there). According to the official stats, Sony won. So yeah. Feel free to speculate up the wazoo, but the numbers don't lie.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThatDBFan

@subspecies said:
@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:
@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:

Sony confirmed the PS3 sold 87.4 million as of March 2017. This is coming from Sony themselves. The last official Xbox 360 sales numbers from MS place it at around 85 mil (somewhere around there). According to the official stats, Sony won. So yeah. Feel free to speculate up the wazoo, but the numbers don't lie.

Well it seems I was wrong. But my point still somewhat stands. The 360 left it in the dust for most of the gen.

But again tho, props to Sony for being able to close the gap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:
@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:
@thatdbfan said:

Well it seems I was wrong. But my point still somewhat stands. The 360 left it in the dust for most of the gen.

But again tho, props to Sony for being able to close the gap.

It's all good. Yeah, Sony definitely won. Looks like slow and steady took the crown, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

X360 numbers are not even accurate, I had to buy three and mates bought at least two. Divide the number by 50% I reckon for a more accurate number of Xbox 360 gamers.

As for next gen, think the gap will be massive, nobody trusts Xbox anymore.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

I predict a smaller gap, but PS5 will still dominate. All else being equal, Playstation is just a stronger brand than XBox.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

I think it's way too early to know.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

X360 numbers are not even accurate, I had to buy three and mates bought at least two. Divide the number by 50% I reckon for a more accurate number of Xbox 360 gamers.

As for next gen, think the gap will be massive, nobody trusts Xbox anymore.

Most of the people that owned a 360 were smart enough to have MS fix it for free. If you owned a PS3 and it broke you bought a new one. Sony also shipped a ton of PS3s to stores at the last minute just to be able to say they sold more but they really didn't.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

@rrjim1: I had 3 360's. 2 RROD's and one e74 drive error. The 3 year warranty came in after my RROD happened on my 1st 360. I know in my circle friends one other person had a RROD before that policy came into affect as well. And I keep all of my systems in open air with AC running. I would venture to guess there are more cases like mine and my friends than you think. If I remember correctly they had to have a class action lawsuit threatened to offer that 3 year replacement warranty. You know you are playing with fire when you have to have a 3 year warranty on a device because it has a 50% failure rate. The 1st gen PS3 had that issue from having a PS2 AND PS3 chipset in it. So I can see why that failed with the YLOD. Not an excuse but I can see why that failed. That is a lot of heat on a 90NM chipset.....

Got off on a tangent there. As far as the Scarlet and PS5 go. As with all generations, who ever has the best games and price wins. I would venture to guess Sony will win in the games. But Microsoft might undercut Sony on price. So they will be much closer in sales this gen. One major thing that Microsoft has going for them this gen is no Kinect. That is what ultimately made the 360 fall behind the PS3. The exclusives fell off for Kinect garbage and the PS3 started to hit its stride with exclusives that were worth buying.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@Phreek300 said:

@rrjim1: I had 3 360's. 2 RROD's and one e74 drive error. The 3 year warranty came in after my RROD happened on my 1st 360. I know in my circle friends one other person had a RROD before that policy came into affect as well. And I keep all of my systems in open air with AC running. I would venture to guess there are more cases like mine and my friends than you think. If I remember correctly they had to have a class action lawsuit threatened to offer that 3 year replacement warranty. You know you are playing with fire when you have to have a 3 year warranty on a device because it has a 50% failure rate. The 1st gen PS3 had that issue from having a PS2 AND PS3 chipset in it. So I can see why that failed with the YLOD. Not an excuse but I can see why that failed. That is a lot of heat on a 90NM chipset.....

Got off on a tangent there. As far as the Scarlet and PS5 go. As with all generations, who ever has the best games and price wins. I would venture to guess Sony will win in the games. But Microsoft might undercut Sony on price. So they will be much closer in sales this gen. One major thing that Microsoft has going for them this gen is no Kinect. That is what ultimately made the 360 fall behind the PS3. The exclusives fell off for Kinect garbage and the PS3 started to hit its stride with exclusives that were worth buying.

Still amazes me people think those free repairs were a lifetime thing, guess what? It wasn't.