Do achievements work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 09091988
Member since 2004 • 593 Posts

Since MS brought in achievements, i personally have started playing games for longer, and also for pointless reasons. For example i have played a number of rounds on GeOW just to get 100 revives, where i have concentrated on picking people up rather than trying to kill others, just for 10gs. Stupid i know but i am a naturally competitive person.

This though brings up a certain problem. Achievements have started to change gameplay habbits. We all know the guy who just chainsaws or picks up the same weapon every round.

I would like to know whether achievements have increased the number of hours you play games, but also whether it has annoyed you. Any opinions are welcome (and other poll answers)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 09091988
bump
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I've found that games that have lots of well thought out achievements extend the life of the game tremendously. A perfect example of this is Crackdown. I found my self doing things in the game I wouldn't have normally done just to get the achievement..Marvel Ultimate Alliance is another game that does achievements well. It's defintely a plus.

Chaos_Daro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Chaos_Daro
Member since 2006 • 1818 Posts
I don't really care much for acheivements.  I mean it's nice to get recognition for completeing a game on a certain difficulty or whatever but I don't do things specifically to earn them.  If you gained points from achievements that could be spent on unlockables like extra costumes or something then I'd be more interested.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    Why bump? You answered your own question in your original post. Since you play games for them, they have shown they work.
elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

i do play more but just for the single player achievements like finishing the game on hard after the normal setting. Online I hardly go into the ranked games cause I find its much more fun to just make a lobby and play with friends. And like you said its messed up to find people only ussing 1 weapon for the achievement.

They should drop the multiplayer achievements by a notch. some games have too many of them to get online and that screws people like me over but also the people without a gold subsription.

EDIT: it certainly doesn't get me to buy more games just for achievements but i'm ure some people do that. 

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
i've found that if i'm going for a multiplat that is essentially the same on both systems, i'd go for the 360 version for the achievements among other things.
xxmatt125xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxmatt125xx
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts
I find achievements gives game that extra replay value, before i would just set the game aside after going through it but now the games have more things to do
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 heretrix

I don't really care much for acheivements.  I mean it's nice to get recognition for completeing a game on a certain difficulty or whatever but I don't do things specifically to earn them.  If you gained points from achievements that could be spent on unlockables like extra costumes or something then I'd be more interested.Chaos_Daro

That's sort of backwards since you usually get achievements for doing just that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I do not see myself getting longer replay value out of games just because of achievements.
mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 mirlegend
Member since 2002 • 6737 Posts
if they are well thought out achievements like in crackdown (i spent ages looking for that globe) then i find it gives alot more replay time and fun to the game. one thing that i do find annoying though is when the bulk come from doing things that you would normally do anyway like complete the single player campaign or rack up a few kills in online and when devs make them very easy to get because they know they will net a few sales from the achievement whores.
Chaos_Daro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chaos_Daro

[QUOTE="Chaos_Daro"]I don't really care much for acheivements.  I mean it's nice to get recognition for completeing a game on a certain difficulty or whatever but I don't do things specifically to earn them.  If you gained points from achievements that could be spent on unlockables like extra costumes or something then I'd be more interested.heretrix

That's sort of backwards since you usually get achievements for doing just that.

Unlocking extra content and gaining achievements are different things.  What I meant was that when you gain an achievement you should be able to spend gamerpoints (or some other type of points) on extra content for games.  It would make "killing 100 people with a chainsaw" worth doing as you could spend the points you gain on extra costumes for your games or whatever.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I actually finish games now.

And I find myself replaying single player to explore more aspects of a game.  For example, PGR3 gives points for using the track editor, photo mode, Gotham TV, collecting certain cars and racing time trials in different cities.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
I like them but i do not go out of my way to get them.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heretrix

if they are well thought out achievements like in crackdown (i spent ages looking for that globe) then i find it gives alot more replay time and fun to the game. one thing that i do find annoying though is when the bulk come from doing things that you would normally do anyway like complete the single player campaign or rack up a few kills in online and when devs make them very easy to get because they know they will net a few sales from the achievement whores. mirlegend
Yeah I hate that. It sucks when you look at an achievement list and only see 12 of them, It makes me think that they didn't even try..

Dead Rising, Crackdown, and Marvel: UA have some of the most impressive achievements to obtain...I also hate the multiplayer achievements for the most part.. Most of them are beyond stupid, and not everybody is into multiplayer...

Come on 10,000 kills in GEOW? I think that while a tough achievement here or there is great, The best achievements are setup to steer you into playing the game in different types of ways..Like Doing a body juggle for 10 seconds or climbing the Agency Tower, then base jumping into the little pond below (two of my favorite achievements ever) in Crackdown. Having next to impossible achievements just makes me say "the hell with it" and not do it. after all it's optional.

KrAzY_cHrIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 KrAzY_cHrIs
Member since 2007 • 1132 Posts
I only got my 360 2 or 3 weeks ago but I'm surprised how addictive they are especially crackdown and I just don't have a scooby dooby doo where that globe is but I would'nt buy games just for achivment points
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
I started to play the games more and I bought more. I already have seven 360 games and I just got it at Christmas. I only have one Wii game, unless you count Wii Sports.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yeah I hate that. It sucks when you look at an achievement list and only see 12 of them, It makes me think that they didn't even try..

Dead Rising, Crackdown, and Marvel: UA have some of the most impressive achievements to obtain...I also hate the multiplayer achievements for the most part.. Most of them are beyond stupid, and not everybody is into multiplayer...

Come on 10,000 kills in GEOW? I think that while a tough achievement here or there is great, The best achievements are setup to steer you into playing the game in different types of ways..Like Doing a body juggle for 10 seconds or climbing the Agency Tower, then base jumping into the little pond below (two of my favorite achievements ever) in Crackdown. Having next to impossible achievements just makes me say "the hell with it" and not do it. after all it's optional.

heretrix

The major problem with those multiplayer achievements being, many people decide that getting those achievements is more important than just playing the game and having some fun.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Chaos_Daro"]I don't really care much for acheivements.  I mean it's nice to get recognition for completeing a game on a certain difficulty or whatever but I don't do things specifically to earn them.  If you gained points from achievements that could be spent on unlockables like extra costumes or something then I'd be more interested.Chaos_Daro

Unlocking extra content and gaining achievements are different things.  What I meant was that when you gain an achievement you should be able to spend gamerpoints (or some other type of points) on extra content for games.  It would make "killing 100 people with a chainsaw" worth doing as you could spend the points you gain on extra costumes for your games or whatever.

I never said they were the same thing. I said you get achievements for unlocking characters and costumes. For example, in Marvel:UA you get an achievement for unlocking the Black Panther among others..Unlocking a character or costume is an achievement in itself. Why waste MS points on stuff that's supposed to be in the game anyway? It's this very thing that's pissing people off about microtransactions already.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"]Yeah I hate that. It sucks when you look at an achievement list and only see 12 of them, It makes me think that they didn't even try..

Come on 10,000 kills in GEOW? I think that while a tough achievement here or there is great, The best achievements are setup to steer you into playing the game in different types of ways..Like Doing a body juggle for 10 seconds or climbing the Agency Tower, then base jumping into the little pond below (two of my favorite achievements ever) in Crackdown. Having next to impossible achievements just makes me say "the hell with it" and not do it. after all it's optional.

foxhound_fox

The major problem with those multiplayer achievements being, many people decide that getting those achievements is more important than just playing the game and having some fun.

I think this has always been an issue in multiplayer games. Instead of achievements there were leaderboards..Online multiplayer has always been ridiculously competitive. Which is why some people are completely put off by it.
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

Since MS brought in achievements, i personally have started playing games for longer, and also for pointless reasons. For example i have played a number of rounds on GeOW just to get 100 revives, where i have concentrated on picking people up rather than trying to kill others, just for 10gs. Stupid i know but i am a naturally competitive person.

This though brings up a certain problem. Achievements have started to change gameplay habbits. We all know the guy who just chainsaws or picks up the same weapon every round.

I would like to know whether achievements have increased the number of hours you play games, but also whether it has annoyed you. Any opinions are welcome (and other poll answers)

I don't have a 360 (yet) but from what I've heard from friends who do have one, they love the concept of acheivements but also hate them.  

As you mentioned, they said that it does make a game more fun at times and does extend gameplay. 

What they hated was the number of games that make up crappy or BS acheivements just for the sake of attributing all the points.  When you have to go out of your way to do something unnattural or insanely difficult to get a couple crappy acheivement points it's frustrating and...as you say...pointless.

And there is also the issue of the typical internet nerds who will cheat just so they can say they've unlocked an impossible number of acheivement points. 

So from what I've heard I think your opinion is pretty much bang on with what other people feel.  They are a great concept but can be annoying at times.

Chaos_Daro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chaos_Daro
[QUOTE="Chaos_Daro"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Chaos_Daro"]I don't really care much for acheivements.  I mean it's nice to get recognition for completeing a game on a certain difficulty or whatever but I don't do things specifically to earn them.  If you gained points from achievements that could be spent on unlockables like extra costumes or something then I'd be more interested.heretrix

I never said they were the same thing. I said you get achievements for unlocking characters and costumes. For example, in Marvel:UA you get an achievement for unlocking the Black Panther among others..Unlocking a character or costume is an achievement in itself. Why waste MS points on stuff that's supposed to be in the game anyway? It's this very thing that's pissing people off about microtransactions already.

It was just a suggestion.  As they are, achievements are pretty much pointless.  I was just thinking of how they could be made more useful.

EDIT:  BTW, I never said we should use MS points to get these things, I said Gamerpoints.  Nobody should have to pay for horse armour or anything like that lol.  What I was getting at is that, in addition to gaining an achievement, you should get some sort of "currency" (Gamerpoints for eg.) that could be spent on whatever extras you wish to unlock in a game. 

Things like extra difficulty levels and other important things should be unlocked just by completing the game but things like Artwork, "making of" videos and maybe even alt. costumes could be unlocked with the currency you get from achievements.

OpticalCanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OpticalCanine
Member since 2006 • 1938 Posts
acheivements and gamerscore is gods gift to gaming
OpticalCanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OpticalCanine
Member since 2006 • 1938 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Chaos_Daro"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Chaos_Daro"]I don't really care much for acheivements. I mean it's nice to get recognition for completeing a game on a certain difficulty or whatever but I don't do things specifically to earn them. If you gained points from achievements that could be spent on unlockables like extra costumes or something then I'd be more interested.Chaos_Daro

Unlocking extra content and gaining achievements are different things. What I meant was that when you gain an achievement you should be able to spend gamerpoints (or some other type of points) on extra content for games. It would make "killing 100 people with a chainsaw" worth doing as you could spend the points you gain on extra costumes for your games or whatever.

I never said they were the same thing. I said you get achievements for unlocking characters and costumes. For example, in Marvel:UA you get an achievement for unlocking the Black Panther among others..Unlocking a character or costume is an achievement in itself. Why waste MS points on stuff that's supposed to be in the game anyway? It's this very thing that's pissing people off about microtransactions already.

It was just a suggestion. As they are, achievements are pretty much pointless. I was just thinking of how they could be made more useful.

its PAINFULLY obvious that u dont have a 360 

-RastaDon-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -RastaDon-
Member since 2004 • 3810 Posts

I dont really care much about the gamer score and the points you get from the achievements, but I do like trying to get achievements mostly because it gives me more things to do when playing certain game and it makes the game last a bit longer.  The achievements in games like dead rising (which is a pretty short game) where really good as I dont think that I would of played it again after I completed it if it wasn't for the achievements.

Hopefully when Sony brings out the trophies for home it will work similarly to achievements.

Chaos_Daro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chaos_Daro

its PAINFULLY obvious that u dont have a 360 

OpticalCanine

lol you're kidding, right? 

Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

To be honest, if I feel the need to compare myself against others I'll hop back in WoW for a bit. 

But if you like points and want to measure you gameing skills that way I'm not going to knock anyone for it. 

mirlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mirlegend
Member since 2002 • 6737 Posts

I only got my 360 2 or 3 weeks ago but I'm surprised how addictive they are especially crackdown and I just don't have a scooby dooby doo where that globe is but I would'nt buy games just for achivment pointsKrAzY_cHrIs

its at the front of the observatory on the Russian gang island. i think theres a women boss nearby and its close to the bridge to the third island if thats any help at all.

SkyRaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SkyRaid
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't do half the stuff that some games offer if it weren't for achievements.

Dead Rising, main example.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I play more games on my 360 now but I don't really mind them because it would be good you you could spend the points you earned on Xboxlive arcade games, or downloadable content then I would go out of my way to get them.
evilbarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 evilbarbarian
Member since 2005 • 3883 Posts
Achievements extend the replay value on games for me. It can also hinder the online, though, as some people won't play to win, just for achievements. And notice 'Annex' on Gears is rarely ever played, sometimes it's impossible to get a ranked 'Annex' game going. It's 'cause of Annex' lack of letting kills count towards achievements.
CrazyIvanIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CrazyIvanIV
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts

I think achievements actually diminish the gaming experience.  Ive been playing videogames all my life, I do not need microsoft one day to step in and give me recognition for things I can already do, I do not need them to tell me I am doing a good job.

1) Achievement points diminish the online experience.  Most 360 games I have contain a large multiplayer aspect of the game and many of the achievement points are focused around that aspect.  MORE OFTEN THAN NOT when I am playing an online game, my teammates are more focused on sticking their 100th opponent with a grenade or dropping their 20th supply ammo crate than actually playing with teamwork, achievements bring a frustrating "every man for himself" aspect to games.

2) games like crackdown use achievement points as a way of making the game actually smaller.  games like god of war 2 and other games like bully and zelda all technically have achievement points.  the achievement is loading up the file and seeing your name next to a 100% complete sign,  again, I do not need microsoft acting like big brother telling me how to play my videogames.  Also the achievement points in crackdown are unique and fun, i had alot of fun with them, but they could definately exist without the achievement points, and most likely exist better,   for example  what if in the agency there was a shop, or a man to talk to who could give you these special tasks to do and you could be rewarded for doing them by various prizes in game ( guns, stuff like that)  the fact is achievement points make the game smaller, developers dont need to create that guy in crackdown and they can pump out games faster using the achievement point system, overall i think these games are less complete.  you have a game like god of war 2 which doesnt have achievements, they have the treasures in the game, beat it on god mode etc to unlock movies and chars, beat the challenges of the titans to unlock more, i did that, it was fun and i dont need achievement points to brag about it, in fact i like the treasure option more because its programmed into the game, if it was just a little "achievement unlocked blip" i think it would seem less complete.

3) TO SOME PEOPLE ONLY  achievement points HAVE THE ABILITY to act as an addictive lure for people to buy more and more games just to get the achievements in them, SOME people can feel the impulse to buy a game not for fun and just for the achievement score, i have friends who do this, this is microsoft marketing in my opinion at its best. 

4) achievements in a game have always existed, being able to kill 10,000 people has always been around ( im sure most of us would have that achievement in halo 2) but without that achievement being around in halo 2 i know that we have all used alot more teamwork and communication and the overall experience was better. 

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 heretrix

I think achievements actually diminish the gaming experience.  Ive been playing videogames all my life, I do not need microsoft one day to step in and give me recognition for things I can already do, I do not need them to tell me I am doing a good job.

1) Achievement points diminish the online experience.  Most 360 games I have contain a large multiplayer aspect of the game and many of the achievement points are focused around that aspect.  MORE OFTEN THAN NOT when I am playing an online game, my teammates are more focused on sticking their 100th opponent with a grenade or dropping their 20th supply ammo crate than actually playing with teamwork, achievements bring a frustrating "every man for himself" aspect to games.

2) games like crackdown use achievement points as a way of making the game actually smaller.  games like god of war 2 and other games like bully and zelda all technically have achievement points.  the achievement is loading up the file and seeing your name next to a 100% complete sign,  again, I do not need microsoft acting like big brother telling me how to play my videogames.  Also the achievement points in crackdown are unique and fun, i had alot of fun with them, but they could definately exist without the achievement points, and most likely exist better,   for example  what if in the agency there was a shop, or a man to talk to who could give you these special tasks to do and you could be rewarded for doing them by various prizes in game ( guns, stuff like that)  the fact is achievement points make the game smaller, developers dont need to create that guy in crackdown and they can pump out games faster using the achievement point system, overall i think these games are less complete.  you have a game like god of war 2 which doesnt have achievements, they have the treasures in the game, beat it on god mode etc to unlock movies and chars, beat the challenges of the titans to unlock more, i did that, it was fun and i dont need achievement points to brag about it, in fact i like the treasure option more because its programmed into the game, if it was just a little "achievement unlocked blip" i think it would seem less complete.

3) TO SOME PEOPLE ONLY  achievement points HAVE THE ABILITY to act as an addictive lure for people to buy more and more games just to get the achievements in them, SOME people can feel the impulse to buy a game not for fun and just for the achievement score, i have friends who do this, this is microsoft marketing in my opinion at its best. 

4) achievements in a game have always existed, being able to kill 10,000 people has always been around ( im sure most of us would have that achievement in halo 2) but without that achievement being around in halo 2 i know that we have all used alot more teamwork and communication and the overall experience was better. 

CrazyIvanIV
there are no achievements in Halo 2......:|
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
[QUOTE="CrazyIvanIV"]

but without that achievement being around in halo 2 i know that we have all used alot more teamwork and communication and the overall experience was better.

heretrix

lol woooow
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
Well, I did play my 360 a lot (for achievements), but I am done until the Halo 3 Beta is out, until then, I have my new Wii/ps3.  Playing without achievements is actually more fun, because you don't feel like you have to do something in a game. 
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

Epeen contest for little boys.  Stroke it! STROKE!

God this world makes me all depressed. 

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heretrix

Well, I did play my 360 a lot (for achievements), but I am done until the Halo 3 Beta is out, until then, I have my new Wii/ps3.  Playing without achievements is actually more fun, because you don't feel like you have to do something in a game.  Bluestorm-Kalas

Ummm. Isn't that the whole purpose of playing the game? You know, to DO SOMETHING?

Avatar image for Radeon_X1950XTX
Radeon_X1950XTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Radeon_X1950XTX
Member since 2006 • 1055 Posts

I've found that games that have lots of well thought out achievements extend the life of the game tremendously. A perfect example of this is Crackdown. I found my self doing things in the game I wouldn't have normally done just to get the achievement..Marvel Ultimate Alliance is another game that does achievements well. It's defintely a plus.

heretrix

yes games that use nice achivements are amazing, it makes me wanna play more(geow, oblivion)

but some achievements are gay (F.E.A.R, some in saints row,)

kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kentlucky
Member since 2003 • 354 Posts

I like games that give a good amount of points for finishing the campaign and then assigning the rest of the points to out-of-the-box type achievements.  I think Crackdown does a good job of this. 

I actually didn't like the Oblivion achievements because they were too easy (the only game I have 1000 points for).   You just go through all the missions and you get all your points.  They could have had achievements that encouraged exploring, or encouraged making potions, etc..  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 09091988
[QUOTE="CrazyIvanIV"]

heretrix

i understand your comments and respect them even though some of the facts are wrong, but how can achivements make a game smaller. Unless you mean that it makes you more focused on one aspect in the game. If so this is more a bad selection of achievements rather than the fault of achievements. The game shouldnt be built around achievements, eg certain items put into the game just to make an achievement.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="CrazyIvanIV"]

i understand your comments and respect them even though some of the facts are wrong, but how can achivements make a game smaller. Unless you mean that it makes you more focused on one aspect in the game. If so this is more a bad selection of achievements rather than the fault of achievements. The game shouldnt be built around achievements, eg certain items put into the game just to make an achievement.

I think you quoted the wrong dude, dude.
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts
Achievements have affected things so much that many reviewers recommend the 360 version of two identical multiplats solely due to the achievement points. It's a great addon, and I find myself doing new things that I never would have done without achievement points.
johngmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 johngmills
Member since 2005 • 4349 Posts

I know that it hasn't changed the way I play games however there are probably a lot of gamers out there with live...that want their profiles showing the 100% completions....

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts
I try things in games I normally would not if achievements were not there
iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts
Its offered tons of replayability to my games, espeacially some of the games with the fun achievments. Dead Rising, Hitman, and Crackdpown for example. Any recomendations for games with really fun acievments to try?
gtx-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gtx-1
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
Getting...what is it..10 gamerpoints for 5k combos in Hexic HD? I played that damn game to just get them. It's stupid, I wanted to enjoy the fantastic Arcade Game, but I'm now trying to get a few points. Achievements don't change my habits, but the easy ones I can nab up (some are worth alot, and easy to get), I go out on a limb to achieve. My opinion is if you get a game just for the achievements, your pathetic.