DKCountry: Tropical Freeze reivew is up, 6/10, FLOPPAGE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's interesting that its level design is supposedly bad. This is one thing Nintendo normally excels at.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#102  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, regardless of GS's relatively lower score, Tropical freeze is stil overall very positively reviewed on Metacritic. So I am still getting the game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

So what's left for WiiU this year? 2-5 Mario and that beat'em up aimed at 14y dudes? 2014 is looking to be one of the best years in the passed decade for everyone but last gen and looks like WiiU is truly a last gen system.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@locopatho said:

Reading the review, his main complaints seem to be boring, by the numbers level design. That seems... unlikely, coming from Retro. He does mention the previous game as being good so I wonder what changed?

From his perspective the game was too similar by design, but with break-ups to the rhythm of the game, and too difficult. Once again GS seems to be an outlier, but his opinion is as legit as anyone else.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

This game flopped harder than waterworld. :D

Nintendo shouldn't be resting on their laurels because not everyone is too scared of their fanboys to bash their sacred cows.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Can't wait to get my hands on this. I think this week I'll play through DKCR, It's still my favorite Nintendo Platformer from last gen. And hey apparently it won't much different LOL

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@g0ddyX said:

How can you argue with the Nintendo sites that give it an 8/10 and 8.5/10 score? :S

Funny how the lower end spectrum are like the TOP gaming sites and magazine reviewers.

People can avoid the game and spend the time on more worthwhile games.

Only Destructoid so far has given it 10/10 like they have done to other Nintendo games, check em.

The quotes i've used are from other reviews from Nowgamer 7/10 and Gamesbeat 7/10.

DK was hyped AAA and GOTY...

I'm not arguing anything, i'm saying that as i've seen on Metacritic, the majority is the higher end of the review spectrum. Destructoid, Game Informer, Gametrailers, IGN, Nintendo Life and a number of other review sites have given the game a 10 - 9 score, plus the flood of 8.5s and 8s by other sites. The minority is @ around a 7, which = good, and the oddball is Gamespot with questionable criticism.

Out of 31 review sites on Metacritic, 11 are at 9/10 or above, 13 are at 8/8.5, 6 sites are at a 7/10 and Gamespot is at a 6. So you've got 24 positive reviewers saying the game is generally great, 6 that say it's good, and one that says it's fair.

Neither you or I know if the game is worthwhile because we haven't played it. But, what we can do is look at the feedback, and there's no doubt in my mind that given the critic response and gamer response via people that got it early (as seen on NeoGAF), it's most definitely worthwhile and not recommended to be avoided.

Yes, it was hyped on this forum and it flopped hard. But that is irrelevant on such a worthless, insignificant and unserious forum filled with about a dozen good posters and a ocean of bored children trolling for attention. Also a dying forum to boot.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 DocSanchez

@silversix_: Anyone with an iota of sense has been saying the same but some fanboys have been acting like the only thing to a gen is time frame. Which may or may not be true, but up until recently no one had to ask that question as none of the big manufacturers cheaped out and released last gen tech for very modern money. Now they're pinning their hopes of a big year on literally a handful of games, one of which is a 2D platformer the likes of which wouldn't be out of place as a download only title no matter how playable it is and that's supposed to go up against the big boys. Well, good luck with that.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

In my opinion, if the game didn't flop on MC, then it's not a flop. 82 on MC and GS 6/10 is the lowest score so far. So this game must be a 7 or an 8. Just use your own criteria.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Bigboi500

@DocSanchez said:

This game flopped harder than waterworld. :D

Nintendo shouldn't be resting on their laurels because not everyone is too scared of their fanboys to bash their sacred cows.

Gamespot's review is the absolute lowest of all the official review sites on Metacritic. I'd suspect the higher-ups have mandated the larger use of the review scale in order to stand out in these desperate times of low traffic here. I'd also suspect the true score lies somewhere in the middle of the review pack.

Just too many 4-6s handed out of late--a behavior that is unmatched from the site's past history, to be credible.

The review text offers some good insight on the game, though, and I probably will wait for a price drop after reading about the frustrating checkpoint system.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 DocSanchez

@Bigboi500: I've bashed GSs reviews to high heaven recently as they are either politically motivated or driven for clicks over credibility but I've often said Nintendo needs to stop relying on it's conventions and I have to say this really does look like the same old same old.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

Dumb Score, this game is a 9/10 easy. GS looking for hits as usual. I'm more of a PlayStation guy but I'm buying a Wii U just for this game. DKC has always been an amazing series I've grew up with.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By DocSanchez

@Sagemode87: Your first post betrays you as someone who sees this as a franchise too big to fail, which no franchise is.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Is Metacritic relevant again?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

I have major disagreements with two things.

1: The notion that other sites thought one thing, invalidates another reviewer for being different. Any forum about any medium will show that you can have wildly different opinions on a piece of entertainment. Why gaming is looked at as something that needs to conform to this hive mind mentality is beyond me. I get it when it comes to Nintendo Apologists. They swallow Nintendo cum. But I you're better than this Lucianu

2: I'm not disagreeing that he might suck, but without playing the game it's conjecture. Maybe the checkpoints during boss battles feels like BS because they are drawn out. Because you can drawn out boss sequences. Maybe the level design actually is dull and by the numbers. And frankly I like the idea that a videogame gets punished for doing more of the same. In that regard I'm with FF. Crying about a games "perceived quality 'without actually playing it is sheep territory. And not SW lingo Sheep. I mean "herpa derp Metacritic tells me otherwise, clearly Metacritic is this objective piece of information on a games quality"

With those gripes aside the real issue with the review is that he never takes the time to articulate his thought. The review just says things and never explains his view point. It's like taking the "less is more" approach to reviewing way too far. His examples don't really stick out as common issues as much as they could be one-offs(especially in a platformer). As it stands it's a poor critique of a game due to lack of details. As a source of Nintendo apologist tiers, it's highly entertaining. And during Tax season, I love that shit.

Yes i know better, i don't agree with such a notion at all either because no game will ever have universal appeal, not now, not ever. And i absolutely stand by the painfully obvious that these numbers, these scores are basically numbers pulled out of the ass by a person like you, or me, to try and gauge the quality of a game. Which is fucking ridiculous wen people treat these numbers as some sort of absolute numerical value, or something as definitive as a test score or something like that.

It's completely impossible to attribute a correct score to such a personal experience, because how you weigh the pros and the cons of a game is completely subjective, plus other influences like leniency, maybe bias, i don't know. I'm not saying that giving a score to a game is wrong.These scores each of us give are fact to us, but not a different person. Using one score, or an amalgam of scores as absolute numerical data is bullshit.

I guess i just can't post coherently enough what's fully on my mind anymore wen writing because i just lack the patience and motivation, my new job is shit and saps my energy.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Bigboi500

@DocSanchez said:

@Bigboi500: I've bashed GSs reviews to high heaven recently as they are either politically motivated or driven for clicks over credibility but I've often said Nintendo needs to stop relying on it's conventions and I have to say this really does look like the same old same old.

That's Retro's doing mostly. I'd have preferred they work on something else instead of playing it so safe, honestly.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#117 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I have major disagreements with two things.

1: The notion that other sites thought one thing, invalidates another reviewer for being different. Any forum about any medium will show that you can have wildly different opinions on a piece of entertainment. Why gaming is looked at as something that needs to conform to this hive mind mentality is beyond me. I get it when it comes to Nintendo Apologists. They swallow Nintendo cum. But I you're better than this Lucianu

2: I'm not disagreeing that he might suck, but without playing the game it's conjecture. Maybe the checkpoints during boss battles feels like BS because they are drawn out. Because you can drawn out boss sequences. Maybe the level design actually is dull and by the numbers. And frankly I like the idea that a videogame gets punished for doing more of the same. In that regard I'm with FF. Crying about a games "perceived quality 'without actually playing it is sheep territory. And not SW lingo Sheep. I mean "herpa derp Metacritic tells me otherwise, clearly Metacritic is this objective piece of information on a games quality"

With those gripes aside the real issue with the review is that he never takes the time to articulate his thought. The review just says things and never explains his view point. It's like taking the "less is more" approach to reviewing way too far. His examples don't really stick out as common issues as much as they could be one-offs(especially in a platformer). As it stands it's a poor critique of a game due to lack of details. As a source of Nintendo apologist tiers, it's highly entertaining. And during Tax season, I love that shit.

Yes i know better, i don't agree with such a notion at all either because no game will ever have universal appeal, not now, not ever. And i absolutely stand by the painfully obvious that these numbers, these scores are basically numbers pulled out of the ass by a person like you, or me, to try and gauge the quality of a game. Which is fucking ridiculous wen people treat these numbers as some sort of absolute numerical value, or something as definitive as a test score or something like that.

It's completely impossible to attribute a correct score to such a personal experience, because how you weigh the pros and the cons of a game is completely subjective, plus other influences like leniency, maybe bias, i don't know. I'm not saying that giving a score to a game is wrong.These scores each of us give are fact to us, but not a different person. Using one score, or an amalgam of scores as absolute numerical data is bullshit.

I guess i just can't post coherently enough what's fully on my mind anymore wen writing because i just lack the patience and motivation, my new job is shit and saps my energy.

Lol understand that feel. Half the time I feel like that when trying to play a game. Too tired from work.

But yeah review scales have always been weird. Just putting a simple label on a game, and then rolling with it feels too simplified. It's more complex than that. Staying power, and how you're going to feel about that game months later should have some effect as well. The entire legacy of a game can change a year away from the day you played it. Would love to see more sites do a no scale thing, but can't get review copies without being on metacritic. Can't do consistent game coverage without review copies. Readers don't respond to non-scores as they do to actual scores. Tis the nature of the beast.

At this point the only option is getting critics that are

A: Actually critics
B: Can write well

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Now this is some funny shit to drink my coffee to: So the first of the supposed Wii U game changers strikes out, and it looks like Donkey Kong's mediocrity has rubbed off on Retro.

You guys care way too much about scores both on here and metacritic, and it's kind of sad to see how dependent you're on them to justify whether a game is worth playing or not.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Only GS says that the level design is dull. I don't believe this. Everyone else say it's amazing. I can even tell from the vids that it is.

That review won't change my mind. Still can't wait to play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

@yokofox33: I do not see why you were looking for something great, when they have just been rehashing the same formula for Donkey Kong and refusing to go back to an open world game like Donkey Kong 64 was; I feel they could have at least tried to do something different, even though Rare is no longer with them. If they had a Donkey Kong game that had the graphics of Super Mario 3D World and had game play that was highly improved compared to Donkey Kong 64, then yes, that be something to consider great and to look forward to.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#121 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

This game had hype? ...okay, lol

It's so funny how GS's review contradicts many other reviews.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 DocSanchez

@bbkkristian: It certainly did and to deny it would be blind. It had a lot of hype.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#123 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@GamingGod999 said:

Is Metacritic relevant again?

As relevant as GS.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 m_machine024

@Pikminmaniac said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

This is the same guy that gave pupeteer a 9,0 btw.

So I can't trust his opinion in the slightest... Puppeteer had great presentation, but the gameplay and level design was pretty darn bad. You know, the aspects of a platformer that matter most and the very aspects that Retro 100% nailed with their last Donkey Kong in addition to the presentation.

Platformers are my favourite genre and in the end I'll get this game because it's the sequel to one of the best games I've ever played full stop. I'll form my opinion from there.

P.S. I love how all the reviewers are commenting on how hard this game is. That's one of the major things that made the first so satisfying. It was tough, but fair and when you accomplished something it meant a lot. I will never forget 200%ing DKCR. That memory will stick with me for a long time.

I love Pupperteer..... but not as a platformer but more as an adventure game.

Each level was fun to explore and pass trough but level design and controls have nothing, on say, Returns.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Bigboi500

It certainly had hype, but not GOTY hype like some morons have claimed.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By m_machine024

@Consternated said:

"+ Exciting and challenging boss battles"

"- Harsh checkpoints during boss battles"

Make your mind up - Is challenge a good thing, or not?

He's just saying that the bosses are well designed and fun but if you die after trying to beat them for like 10 min, you restart all over. It's not really a contradiction. The boss battles aren't short.

That said, I'm ok with it. It was the same in Returns.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#127 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@DocSanchez: showme the hype thread.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#128 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Whole bunch of revisionalist history going on in this thread. This game was never hyped to be AAA goty. Hell it wasn't even hyped AAA period.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 m_machine024

@locopatho said:

Reading the review, his main complaints seem to be boring, by the numbers level design. That seems... unlikely, coming from Retro. He does mention the previous game as being good so I wonder what changed?

That's my problem with the review. Dull level design and worse than Returns. Really? :/ Also, he said that the game lacks variety. That's hard to believe. It's pretty much the only review saying all that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#130 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@bbkkristian: It certainly did and to deny it would be blind. It had a lot of hype.

I hate to say it, but Doc's right that the game did have hype here, although I don't think it was AAAE hype.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#131  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

Whole bunch of revisionalist history going on in this thread. This game was never hyped to be AAA goty. Hell it wasn't even hyped AAA period.

If I recall correctly, it was hyped AA, which is about it's average right now.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Demonjoe93

@speak_low said:

Sheep are first to complain about game reviewers (they have nothing else going on lately) - how they are worthless and almost militantly "anti-Nintendo", but when a Wii U game gets a low score, they go to great absurd lengths to start pointing out the faultiness of one reviewer's score by comparing (like they're in a court trial) it to the body of scores of every major reviewer on Metacritic - the very reviewers they claim to have dismissed and never read a long time ago.

They hate reviewers and consider them a joke, but always use them to make a point when it's convenient for them. Why do we continue to accept this erratic behavior?

I also notice crap games like Sonic Lost World or mediocre games like ZombiU getting low scores and attracting lots of hatred from Sheep. They were so angry at reviewers for being unfair and called them terrible at their jobs. But when Sheep actually play the games they aren't exactly singing the highest praises of the game either. I doubt that crappy Sonic Lost World game is in anyone's Top 5 list of 2013.The game really wasn't all that special after they got to spend time with it. Wow what a thought - playing the entire game makes you understand the criticisms of it. WOW

I bet when you get the DKC: TF game and beat it quickly in a day or two, you'll start feeling similar things the critics felt. Fun time but could've been more, considering the long wait and potential of the Wii U.

Gamespot isn't my favorite for game reviews, but I'm sick of people taking one or two reviews and then saying all of gaming journalism is bad, but turn around and use them to validate points. So they not only rush to childish extremities but forget what they said and eagerly anticipate review scores anyways.

Two-Faced Harvey Sheep

Because, you know, cows never did that with Last of Us. What's with your fixation on sheep?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DocSanchez

@bbkkristian: Okay I will.

You will note that most were tipping it for the 8-9 range with a few 10s too. Not many for anything lower than that. Honestly, I knew this would happen. We've had nothing but people talking up this game for ages with it being in avatars, signatures, and people pointing to it as a must have before they've even played it and even a hype thread and now people are saying it never happened just because it's flopped.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@bbkkristian: Okay I will.

You will note that most were tipping it for the 8-9 range with a few 10s too. Not many for anything lower than that. Honestly, I knew this would happen. We've had nothing but people talking up this game for ages with it being in avatars, signatures, and people pointing to it as a must have before they've even played it and even a hype thread and now people are saying it never happened just because it's flopped.

Dude, people do that for every noteworthy game. It's not exclusive to just this game.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

I definitely hyped it as a personal 10/10 GOTY level game and thought it would get 9/10 here :P

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: Gamespot reviews haven't mattered for a long time.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#138 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Why can't good level design be considered innovation? I've certainly have never seen levels like in the ones I have seen in DCK Tropical Freeze.

Oh well. I can't truly comment on the things he has said until I play the game.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 DocSanchez

@Shottayouth13-: I never said it was. People were saying this game had no hype. Well it did. It's not me you are arguing with.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#140  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Nintendowned

Joel must have been in the game somewhere.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@Heil68: See. When people start making decisions like that based on one review there's a problem. It works for the Gamespot "flop" game but not to confirm a purchase. It's been getting positive reviews all around.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts
@Bigboi500 said:

It certainly had hype, but not GOTY hype like some morons have claimed.

Very rarely does anything coming out in the first quarter of the year -- regardless of the console -- qualify as game of the year material. It's just not a big time for releasing the most high profile games, the occasional Bioshock Infinite aside.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@DocSanchez: it sure as hell isn't some titan fall levels of hype you seem to be making it out to be. AA is pretty tame

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@Heil68: See. When people start making decisions like that based on one review there's a problem. It works for the Gamespot "flop" game but not to confirm a purchase. It's been getting positive reviews all around.

I wasn't going to buy it anyways, even if it scored AAA.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@glitter said:

@yokofox33: I do not see why you were looking for something great, when they have just been rehashing the same formula for Donkey Kong and refusing to go back to an open world game like Donkey Kong 64 was; I feel they could have at least tried to do something different, even though Rare is no longer with them. If they had a Donkey Kong game that had the graphics of Super Mario 3D World and had game play that was highly improved compared to Donkey Kong 64, then yes, that be something to consider great and to look forward to.

DK 64 was completely and utterly inferior to every Donkey Kong Country game ever developed especially Retro's Donkey Kong Country Returns. It was decent, but doesn't hold a candle to the creative and precise level designs Retro created in their Wii masterpiece of 2010. At least that's my opinion of the matter. Very few games if any hold a candle to what Retro created over 3 years ago and that's why I'm so unbelievably excited for this sequel. I hope it can live up to my monumental hype.

It's the biggest GOTY candidate for me because its the sequel to a game that has no equals in its genre.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@W1NGMAN- said:

I read the review, watched the review video, and I can tell 95% of the people complaining about the review literally took a look at the negatives and score and decided to comment. smh

It's not like watching the video review or reading the written review takes hours of your time. They are both very short.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

Once again, GameSpot is the lowest score giver for a game. I'm getting tired of this going against the grain stuff. Good thing I go by the GameRankings/MetaCritic average. I am sure I will love this game like I did Donkey Kong Country Returns.

You do ?

I play games and then decide for myself whether I like them or not.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Damn a lot of damage control in here. Then several people who said mc irrelevant are now saying it's relevant. Hypocrisy is a funny thing to watch

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Demonjoe93

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

Once again, GameSpot is the lowest score giver for a game. I'm getting tired of this going against the grain stuff. Good thing I go by the GameRankings/MetaCritic average. I am sure I will love this game like I did Donkey Kong Country Returns.

You do ?

I play games and then decide for myself whether I like them or not.

I mean I use them to help me decide how much money I want to spend money on it. I have played games that got mediocre reviews and liked them (Shadow the Hedgehog; no, I am not joking), and have played games that have gotten awesome reviews and didn't like it all (Dark Souls). If it's a game that I'm quite sure I am going to like, then I only care about the reviews if they're unexpectedly low. If they are low, then I start looking into the game and may decide it's not worth forking over $60 or $40 for it, and then wait for it to get cheaper. If it's a game that I'm really on the fence about, I wait and see how much everyone else liked it before I decide to spend money on it, and even then I prefer to play a demo first.

Unfortunately, demos aren't used as much as they used to be.