Divinity: Original Sin 2, The true GOTY of 2017.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@kozzy1234: thanks for taking the time to reply:) and glad to hear the armor thing isn't a big deal!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Easily much better than any game from the CRPG revival.

The problem with other new CRPGs are that they are either backwards thinking and cannot capture what made their influences great (Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, and Torment) or botch the execution (like Tyranny and even admittedly the first Divinity when it comes to the cRPG side of things). DOS 2 on the other hand is forward thinking, bringing new elements into the revival of the cRPG.

True that. Pillars adheres arguably too much to the side of old school.

Still a great game though, rather play it than 90% of the rpgs floating about.

The thing that makes DOS 2 really good is that it fixes the RPG problems of the first DOS. The first game was not a good cRPG. This one is.

I loved the original DOS, enough to make it my favorite game of that year. But At the same time, I also felt it would have been better as a pure SRPG or just wargame.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#103 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@kozzy1234 said:
@djoffer said:

@kozzy1234: glad to hear, definitely looking forward to playing it soon!

Out of curiosity, I heard a few people complaining about that all enemies having both magic defense and physical defense, that you have to destroy in order to do actual damage to them. Meaning that one enemy might be a zero physical defense and 2/100 hp but still be at full magic defense so if your mage throw a fireball at him he won't die since it will only do damage to the magic defense? Therefore rendering mixed( melee and magic) parties pointless.....

There is magic armor yes. I don't have the nitty gritty of all that kind of stuff but, I do notice two kinds of armor on enemies, one magic and one normal armor as I see it. I just go crazy with my attacks from everyone and first there armors go down then the health, I havn't had anything as severe as you mention though as far as rendering your melee party useless. I have a mix of of a party, one offensive wizard, one healing wizard (has some other magic to attack to), A ranger and a melee guy up front. It is not a huge deal overall, just go out and explore a ton, talk to everyone and just open yourself up to enjoy some great adventures! Maybe someone else can speak on the exact way the armors work but thats my take on it, I hit em with everything I got and the two armors go down then goes the health (the armors seem to not take to long for me to take down so far). Sorry for the long post, it is late and I wasn't to sure how to answer this question to be honest as I am not 100% sure, I just know it hasn't been a big issue with me, my party goes to work on enemies no matter how much or what type of armor they have.

magic armour protects against stuff like fire and poison, while physical armor protects from being knocked down and crippled etc.

once you finish off either their physical or magic armor, you can start doing damage to their health if you keep using the same damage type. so, there is a benefit to figuring out if an enemy has more magic or physical armor, and then focusing your damage on whatever is weaker (though my group is mostly melee/physical damage based so I usually go that route).

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#104 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

BOTW is still on-lock for GOTY. But DOS2 is a strong contender for the runner-up spot.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@knight-k said:
@sovkhan said:

" The true GOTY of 2017. "

Stop kiddin' yerself!!!! Not even close.

Sitting at a 94 metacritic, it's looking more real every day.

Everyone knows by now that Zelda BOTW is vastly overrated. Divinity OS II is the king this year.

So stop crying and embrace one of the best games you will experience in your life, Divinity OS II.

Don't need it to be 94 on meta to play it...Got all ( almost!!! ) rpgs the last 30 years on any given platform!!!

It may turn out that it's really that good, and i'll be the first to admit it ^^

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@sovkhan said:
@knight-k said:
@sovkhan said:

Everyone knows by now that Zelda BOTW is vastly overrated. Divinity OS II is the king this year.

So stop crying and embrace one of the best games you will experience in your life, Divinity OS II.

Don't need it to be 94 on meta to play it...Got all ( almost!!! ) rpgs the last 30 years on any given platform!!!

It may turn out that it's really that good, and i'll be the first to admit it ^^

Okay :)

Look at the reviews, they're all very positive. You will not be dissapointed. (unless you don't like hard games, it's a bit hard to get into...after that..oh lawd)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@sovkhan said:
@knight-k said:
@sovkhan said:

It's really good and doesn't have the console shill sites and nostalgia freaks buffing the review scores.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Regarding Breath of hte Wild, here and Divinity.

I like them both a lot, and quite frankly, I like them for the same reasons too. That is, it is nice to see games actually attempt the whole player expression thing.

Trying to compare them is like comparing oranges and apples. But what I can say is that... holy crap, it is so damn nice to see games give the player a sandbox of creative solutions than being overly obsessed with balance, to the point where it becomes a detriment.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#109  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Bump.

I'd just like to say...

Holy freaking crap, it's a 10! Game of the Year race is back on!

I'll be honest; I really, really thought Breath of the Wild had it all sewn up. But two 10s in a year? Wow. As I said, game back on.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Impressive, crpg getting 10 on a console website

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

And to think this got a 10 without the nintendo rose-tinted glasses.... very impressive.

PC exclusive got a 10 on Gamespot! (may not stay exclusive however)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#112 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

God damn. That's amazingly impressive

@MBirdy88 said:

And to think this got a 10 without the nintendo rose-tinted glasses.... very impressive.

*rolls eyes*

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By madrocketeer
@charizard1605 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

*rolls eyes*

Second that. Can't we just appreciate another amazing game to come out in 2017 which suddenly reopens the GOTY conversation just as when it looked like a formality?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#114  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

So, when everyone thought Zelda BotW would win for sure this year, this game comes out of nowhere. It'll be interesting to see wich one will win (Probably Zelda still because GS sure loves Zelda), but still...

Personally, I'm sure Divinity 2 is a great game and I've a friend that is a huge fan of the 1st game, but there's something about the top down perspective that puts me off... so its a pass for me

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By madrocketeer
@Vatusus said:

So, when everyone thought Zelda BotW would win for sure this year, this game comes out of nowhere. It'll be interesting to see wich one will win (Probably Zelda still because GS sure loves Zelda), but still...

Personally, I'm sure Divinity 2 is a great game and I've a friend that is a huge fan of the 1st game, but there's something about the top down perspective that puts me off... so its a pass for me

I understand, mate. Some people just prefer to get close to the action instead being far above it. Me? I play strategy games like StarCraft II, Total War and XCOM, and hack & slash RPGs like Diablo II and Titan Quest regularly, so I'm quite used to it. It can be an acquired taste, I admit.

Anyway, as I said, this is a bad time to release a game if they want me to buy it, so I'm holding this off for a sale.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Well deserved, it's a fantastic game.

I doubt many people expected a real challenger to Zelda this year.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Well deserved. Having so much fun with this game, even as I hurl expletives at it.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Another Dime! What a year...

...and to think we may get 1 more before year's end?!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#119 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

That sweet, sweet validation.

1 more than a 9.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

God damn. That's amazingly impressive

@MBirdy88 said:

*rolls eyes*

You know there is a tint of truth in that.

But then again, maybe I'm one of the rare breed that thought hunting seeds and shrines got old.. and given that was 90% of the content.... that and climbing, HUZAH!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Quite impressive review for the game. I look forward to an Xbox One version of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#122 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@MBirdy88: There is not. The simple fact of the matter is that others - most others - enjoyed it more than you did.

That does not make their opinions invalid any more than it makes yours. You found it to be an average (or above average? below average?) game, which is fair. Others did not. That is all there is to it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#123 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Love the game but the 10 is undeserving.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Holly hell I just checked the sky for flying pigs as Gamespot gave a PC exclusive (temporal I know ) a 10.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By uninspiredcup

@GarGx1 said:

It's clearly exceeded it, the freedom here is far beyond anything in Zelda. Far more ambitious without the obvious (ignored) kinks. But it won't get credit due to the establishment. 10 sure, but we know Zelda's won GOTY well in advance. Because, because.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#126 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@GarGx1 said:

It's clearly exceeded it, the freedom here is far beyond anything in Zelda. Far more ambitious without the obvious (ignored) kinks. But it won't get credit due to the establishment. 10 sure, but we know Zelda's won GOTY well in advance. Because, because.

That sweet Gamespot math

If i remember correctly, Divinity original sin lost to shadow of mordor for GOTY

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Never thought I'd see a 10 for a PC game on GS ... Holy cow. If TWW2 wasn't coming out in a couple of days I'd buy this now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I just downloaded the game today! I poured myself a cup of tea to start my adventure.

Let's roll!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By uninspiredcup

@drlostrib said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@GarGx1 said:

That sweet Gamespot math

If i remember correctly, Divinity original sin lost to shadow of mordor for GOTY

Obligmatory.

Loading Video...

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm not normally into top-down perspective games and this type of combat system but I have to admit that as an RPG fan, I'm seriously considering adding this to my wishlist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Why do people give a shit about GOTY.

It's just someone else opinion on what game they think was the best on that day.

I do enjoy Giant bombs GOTY deliberations but still just take it for what it is. Arbitrary!

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Heil68

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 madrocketeer
@boycie said:

It's just someone else opinion on what game they think was the best on that day.

I do enjoy Giant bombs GOTY deliberations but still just take it for what it is. Arbitrary!

Look at this buzzkill. Contests and speculations about said contests are fun, that's all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@madrocketeer said:
@boycie said:

Look at this buzzkill. Contests and speculations about said contests are fun, that's all.

I just don't think you have to shit on one game to enjoy another.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 with_teeth26

@johnd13 said:

I'm not normally into top-down perspective games and this type of combat system but I have to admit that as an RPG fan, I'm seriously considering adding this to my wishlist.

you can always change your mind.

you might not think you are into something until you realise you just haven't experienced the best of what that something has to offer. just go in with a open mind.

hopefully that made sense.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By uninspiredcup

@boycie said:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@boycie said:
@madrocketeer said:
@boycie said:

What? Yes you do. Didn't you know playing video games was mutually exclusive? You're only allowed to think one game is excellent. Everything else isn't as good. :P

No but honestly, feck that. This year brought me Prey, BoTW and Specter of Torment. This year is excellent. I'm now at 36% on Divinity 2 install. Pretty sure I'm going to like this game a whole lot.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By madrocketeer
@boycie said:

And I did no such thing. I specifically mentioned "another amazing game," and rolled my eyes at @MBirdy88 for swiping at Breath of the Wild for no reason. I'm just saying I like a good competition, and GOTY is a competition.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

GOTY and one of the best rpgs of all time. I have 70 hours on the game now, still loving it to bits. Nothing this year is even close, as much as I loved Battlegrounds, Torment, Prey and Zelda.. none of them compare to the total package that is Divinity Original Sin 2. This is how you make an rpg!!!

If any game of the last while deserves 10/10 it is this game, well done Larian. I have liked Larian since Divine Divinity many years ago, I am so glad they are now doing well and getting the credit they deserve.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@uninspiredcup said:
@boycie said:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Hot Topic!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Heil68

Bought time PC got a quality exclusive on Par with consoles.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Heil68 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Heil68

No one to buy it. This is like a console game getting a 12. PC FTW.

All those Nintendo and Sony tears at their wasted dollars to buy 10's!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@Heil68 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Heil68

No one to buy it. This is like a console game getting a 12. PC FTW.

All those Nintendo and Sony tears at their wasted dollars to buy 10's!

Shame people wont buy this game, I reckon they'll pirate it like most pc gamers.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Obligmatory.

*Mordor crap combat vid snip*

Seriously though, possibly the worst goty GS has given considering how much good shit came out in 2014. It's amazing really.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

I will never understand how games like these can hold peoples interest for more than a few hours.

ZzzZZZZZzzzzZ booooooooooooooooooring.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By with_teeth26

@smashed_pinata said:

I will never understand how games like these can hold peoples interest for more than a few hours.

while I don't agree with you, I totally understand this sentiment. It takes a lot of patience to fully enjoy this game (and these types of games).

which is why at the end of the day it wont win many GOTY awards. the appeal just isn't wide enough.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 uninspiredcup

@with_teeth26 said:
@smashed_pinata said:

while I don't agree with you, I totally understand this sentiment. It takes a lot of patience to fully enjoy this game (and these types of games).

which is why at the end of the day it wont win many GOTY awards. the appeal just isn't wide enough.

It sold 500k in about 4-5 days and it one of the most played RPG's on Steam co-current, in it's history.

It pretty clearly has wide appeal. His reply is basically Zelda salt, seemed pretty obv.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

The game is amazing. I know it's amazing because I got my ass handled to me on tactician difficulty. The game is literally brutal on hard. And then I passed like 15 hours restarting the game with different builds. You know an rpg is good when you start experimenting with all sorts builds to outsmart the game. Pretty much the same shit when I got addicted to dark souls. Wild experimentation. We do really need a respect mod though. Anyway, in order to advance in the game on tactician difficulty, I finally came up with a solution. Here's my 5 cents of wisdom.

Fane, the undead as a necromancer and geomancer makes a powerful tank. You see poison cures undead. Geomancer specializes on poison spells. Necromancer heals by damage dealt. So here you go, double healing. I create a poison clouds around my character. Anybody who tries melee him suffers slow poison damage plus damage you deal cures you.

This game makes me feel so smart?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 with_teeth26

@uninspiredcup said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@smashed_pinata said:

It sold 500k in about 4-5 days and it one of the most played RPG's on Steam co-current, in it's history.

It pretty clearly has wide appeal. His reply is basically Zelda salt, seemed pretty obv.

yea but if you look at the staff of gaming sites, I wonder how many people beyond the ones assigned to review this game will play it. that is what really matters when it comes to GOTY awards. I think Brett Todd is a freelancer? kinda shows that none of the staff writers wanted to play it/review it

I know a lot of people who wouldn't have the patience for this game. and thats fine

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@smashed_pinata said:

as teeth said above, the appeal isn`t wide. Not because of sales, but more on how you get into the game. It takes HOURS to immerse yourself and get attached. Where as games likes Zelda, Mario, Halo, Sports games etc hook you within the first 10-20 mins. They have instant appeal to everyone who has ever played a game before.

My disdain for this game has nothing to do with Zelda. Come on cup, you're better than this!

Besides, we all know Zelda has GOTY in the bag. Seems like you're the salty one!