Dishonored 2's Corvo Won't be a Silent Protagonist This Time. Voice Acted by Stephen Russell (old Garrett).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

PC Gamer States:

The Dishonored 2 voice cast has been revealed over on GameSpot, and I think you'll agree that it's solid. The lineup for the sequel to Arkane's hit stealthpunk game will include Vincent D'Onofrio, Rosario Dawson, and Pedro Pascal, and the previously-silent protagonist Corvo Attano will now have a voice of his own, too, courtesy of the guy we used to call Garrett.

D'Onofrio, who was so stunningly good as the Kingpin in Netflix's Daredevil series (and, let's be honest, everything else he does), will voice Luca Abele, the Duke of Serkonos, while Dawson, who also did a turn in Daredevil and has featured in films including Sin City, Grindhouse, and Unstoppable, will portray Dreadful Wale Captain Meagan Foster. Pascal, he of the memorable head pop in Game of Thrones, will appear as the leader of the Howler Gang.

Joining them will be Sam Rockwell as Mortimer Ramsey of the Dunwall City Watch, Jamie Hector as Vice Overseer Liam Byrne, and Robin Lord Taylor, who replaces Billy Lush as the Outsider. The co-lead character of Emily Kaldwin will be portrayed by Erica Luttrell, who has provided voices in games including Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Fallout 4, and XCOM 2, while Corvo Attano, who was a silent protagonist in the first game, will be brought to life by veteran voice actor Stephen Russell.

With all due respect to everyone else in the cast, Russell's appearance is the real treat here. He's provided voices for numerous games over the years, most recently for Nick Valentine in Fallout 4, but he may be best known, at least among a certain vintage of stealth aficionados, as Garrett, the lead character in the seminal stealth series Thief. Dishonored is, in many ways, the spiritual successor to that franchise—we actually made note of the similarity in a hands-on preview—and so having Russell give voice to its male lead is a very nice touch.

Dishonored 2 is slated to come out on November 11

http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-2-voice-cast-features-vincent-donofrio-rosario-dawson-and-an-old-thief/

Holy Sh*t. I love Stephen Russell's performance in Thief games, so this is an excellent news for me. But I doubt Corvo's character will be as well written as Garrett's in original Thief trilogy. And I hope they can make the game more challenging this time around. First one was too easy and felt more like a power fantasy than a Stealth game at times.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

That's a really good voice cast, I wasn't completely surprised by D'Onofrio slumming it by voice acting for a video game, but Sam Rockwell as well? All that's fine and dandy, but voice acting wasn't the real problem with Dishonored's story and characters. The shit writing was.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-2-voice-cast-features-vincent-donofrio-rosario-dawson-and-an-old-thief/

Holy Sh*t. I love Stephen Russell's performance in Thief games, so this is an excellent news for me. But I doubt Corvo's character will be as well written as Garrett's in original Thief trilogy. And I hope they can make the game more challenging this time around. First one was too easy and felt more like a power fantasy than a Stealth game at times.

That is indeed awesome, D'Onofrio + Garett, dayum!

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Fucking awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Thank God. Silent protagonists suck. That was one of the worst things about the first game

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24996 Posts

Corvo can be develop as new garrett. i think he should be only playable character. no one want to play as princess.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

But he's Garrett. It's gonna feel weird to hear Garrett's voice on another dude. :P Love his voice work though. I seriously need to play more Thief..

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:

Corvo can be develop as new garrett. i think he should be only playable character. no one want to play as princess.

Let's just hope character development is good as well. Poor script won't help even if Voice Actor is a veteran.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@ghosts4ever: While I definitely prefer Corvo as the protagonist and he's the one I'll be picking for my main playthrough, on the other hand having Emily with her unique set of powers is going to add great replayability to the game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

My Corvo is all growing up :'(

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

this is good , but I'd still rather Corvo to be silent , .... dammit why Arkane didn't made thief's reboot

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@the_master_race said:

this is good , but I'd still rather Corvo to be silent , .... dammit why Arkane didn't made thief's reboot

Why do you think they would actually be good at it?

Not saying it wouldn't be better than Thief 4, but the things that make Thief 1 and 2 good, aren't exactly there in Dishonored. The level of freedom and all that jazz is there, but the attention to detail and the same level of gratification to the gameplay isn't really there as Dishonored is more power fantasy than anything.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Awesome !

Man i'm getting hyped !

Thank god they went with voiced character ....have no idea why ppl think silent protagonists are good

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Thats a good pick for the part.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Hmmm, stellar voice cast. The only celebrity I remember from DH1 was Brad Dourif.

@mjorh said:

Awesome !

Man i'm getting hyped !

Thank god they went with voiced character ....have no idea why ppl think silent protagonists are good

Fallout 4. For an "RPG" where you can play any race yet you always sound like a slightly nerdy white guy.

For DH1, yeah, where you play Corvo they should have used a voiced protagonist. Even if it was only an inner monologue. What happened to the original voice of the Outsider?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:
@the_master_race said:

Why do you think they would actually be good at it?

Not saying it wouldn't be better than Thief 4, but the things that make Thief 1 and 2 good, aren't exactly there in Dishonored. The level of freedom and all that jazz is there, but the attention to detail and the same level of gratification to the gameplay isn't really there as Dishonored is more power fantasy than anything.

They’re different games but they also share certain similarities, both in art concept and character design

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I was ready to say I don't really care, but after hearing the voice actor is the old Garrett, I'm pretty hyped. He's awesome and deserves to get more prominent work. He is what made Garrett such a great character.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cloud_imperium

@turtlethetaffer said:

I was ready to say I don't really care, but after hearing the voice actor is the old Garrett, I'm pretty hyped. He's awesome and deserves to get more prominent work. He is what made Garrett such a great character.

Seriously man. Even though Mr Russell has voice acted in other games, his performance for Garrett is by far the best one. As if he was born to play that role.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Unless they're completely overhauling the storytelling in Dishonored 2, I can't find any reasons to care about this news.

Heck, maybe the sequel will actually be decent instead of mediocre next time as well.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Sounds like a step in the right direction, a more fleshed out story and character development would be good for the sequel. I loved the first game but felt it came up short, story-wise, with how the cinematic intro trailer pumped me up for the game.

Which reminds me, the first game had this great revenge story setup, so I wonder if the story in the second game will be similar, I'm not even sure it will interest me at this point because for me I need a solid, gripping story if I am to buy Dishonored 2

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#21 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

Nice. Awesome news, maybe now, I should get it together and finally play Thief.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Am I missing something here, but doesn't Corvo talk in the intro sequence with the little girl?

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

D'Onofrio Sure did step up and got an upgrade in career after Law and Order and Dare Devil after his failure of a role in the first Men in Black movie. God I hated his character in that, but fantastic role as the King Pin.

Sam Rockwell is a great actor especially his Green Mile role as billy the kid. Some really great cast here.

I would not have minded the new guy who did garret to have voiced Corvo as I think he did really good in that game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59180 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Am I missing something here, but doesn't Corvo talk in the intro sequence with the little girl?

No. Corvo doesn't even have voice actor, how would you hear him speak ? Daud is the only playable character in Dishonored that talks.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

This is awesome, I never liked that Corvo was a silent protagonist. That is why I liked the expansions a lot more than the main game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cloud_imperium

@heguain said:

Nice. Awesome news, maybe now, I should get it together and finally play Thief.

Get GOG version. Steam version has issues on new PCs. After getting Thief: Gold, apply TFix patch on it. You can download it from here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

Luckily, Thief 2's GOG version comes with Tafferpatch. So, install it after installing the main game. These patches make the games work on modern PCs without any problem.

After that, don't forget to run these games in XP mode, disable visual themes and desktop composition by right clicking on their icons and going in properties menu. Also check disable DPI option if necessary,,, otherwise don't.

Always run games as Administrator by right clicking the icons, if you want cutscenes to work.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 turtlethetaffer

@Cloud_imperium said:
@turtlethetaffer said:

Seriously man. Even though Mr Russell has voice acted in other games, his performance for Garrett is by far the best one. As if he was born to play that role.

Exactly. He's the perfect amount of sarcasm, cynicism, and wit. The primary reason I didn't play the remake is that they got another actor. But I heard they butchered his character anyway, making him a Robin Hood type person instead of the selfish, reluctant hero he is in the original trilogy. So I guess giving him a lame voice actor was appropriate in its own way.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cloud_imperium

@turtlethetaffer said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@turtlethetaffer said:

Exactly. He's the perfect amount of sarcasm, cynicism, and wit. The primary reason I didn't play the remake is that they got another actor. But I heard they butchered his character anyway, making him a Robin Hood type person instead of the selfish, reluctant hero he is in the original trilogy. So I guess giving him a lame voice actor was appropriate in its own way.

His character in reboot is completely out of place. Original Garrett was non idealistic, who tried to stay away from the trouble and stole because he HAD to and didn't risk his neck for nothing. He was also under-powered compared to Constantine, Karras and Gamall, which created for tension throughout the story (Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker). His character and the game was targeted for mature audience.

Eidos Montreal said that they wanted to make Garrett more "mainstream" and for "younger audiences" (their words) in the new game and it shows. The new (fake) Garrett is a generic Action movie hero, who likes to steal and do teh cool stuff because he can. I'm glad Stephen Russell wasn't involved in the project.

Loading Video...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 turtlethetaffer

@Cloud_imperium: That video was perfect.

And yeah, that's a gross butchering of the character. It would be like if you took Samus and turned her into an obedient errand woman like they did in Other M.

I think the problem is that gaming is so big they can't not have a generic hero. A "safe" hero. From that video, he's basically just Robin Hood, a familiar character type that an audience can root for. To me, the original was so interesting because he only does something because it will help him in some way. Like, the only reason he stops Constantine is so he doesn't die. That may not be a sympathetic character, but it's memorable and interesting simply because you don't see a whole bunch of characters like that in gaming anymore- ones who are openly selfish and work for their own best interest.

A protagonist doesn't need to be sympathetic, they just need to be intriguing and that's why the original so such a great character. This holds true for other mediums- just look at Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. He is an absolute monster, but is interesting because of those qualities.

I wonder if the one true Garrett will ever return? My money is on no and that's depressing as hell.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cloud_imperium

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Cloud_imperium: That video was perfect.

And yeah, that's a gross butchering of the character. It would be like if you took Samus and turned her into an obedient errand woman like they did in Other M.

I think the problem is that gaming is so big they can't not have a generic hero. A "safe" hero. From that video, he's basically just Robin Hood, a familiar character type that an audience can root for. To me, the original was so interesting because he only does something because it will help him in some way. Like, the only reason he stops Constantine is so he doesn't die. That may not be a sympathetic character, but it's memorable and interesting simply because you don't see a whole bunch of characters like that in gaming anymore- ones who are openly selfish and work for their own best interest.

A protagonist doesn't need to be sympathetic, they just need to be intriguing and that's why the original so such a great character. This holds true for other mediums- just look at Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. He is an absolute monster, but is interesting because of those qualities.

I wonder if the one true Garrett will ever return? My money is on no and that's depressing as hell.

Agreed. His character is pretty different from other video game characters, which was breath of fresh air.

Also don't forget the way his character develops throughout the trilogy. I mean in first game he is pretty ignorant IMO during early moments of the game, until Constantine finally reveals his true identity. Then he finally starts to believe Hammerrites and then becomes a revenge/survival story.

In Thief 2, after saving the world, he's lives the life of an ordinary citizen, who steals stuff to pay his bills and tries his best to stay away from the police or other troubles. He doesn't believe in prophecies until the end when he finally realizes that everything was already written in Keeper books.

In Thief 3, he works with the Keepers because he now fully realizes that what was written in Keeper books is actually real and he might be the key to solve the mystery. And then in the end of Thief 3, a guy you was known for being a "cursed" Thief becomes one true Keeper. That's fantastic IMO.

I highly doubt real Garrett will return sadly.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 turtlethetaffer

@Cloud_imperium: In a lot of ways, him and Prince of Persia (from the Sands trilogy) are really similar. Both are selfish and deeply flawed individuals who eventually understand the larger repercussions of their actions.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Vincent D'Onofrio is bloody awesome! Wow, really good cast.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

Kind of expected this after Fallout 4. Couldn't be more happy about this choice. Nostalgia boner. And I'm pretty sure Stephen Russell also voiced Mercer Frey, the Thieves guild leader in Skyrim. Someone over at Bethesda really likes this guy. Words can't express how excited I am for Stephen Russell to be voicing Corvo. It's like a happy Looking Glass Studios reunion.