Discussion: The most realistic Military themed 1st/3rd person shooter....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Monkboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Monkboon
Member since 2003 • 2342 Posts

Lately, I have been playing my FPS more than usual. I play Ghost Recon (Original- Backwhen you had to set you way points and give go codes) GR2, Conflict: Global Terror, SWAT, R63: Black Arrow, FSW and a couple more. So I ask, iyo, what is the most realistic Military type shooter out there? I'm playing these on XBOX original but your choice can be on any medium. Also, iyo, what makes your choice the "most realistic".

Right now, of the games I own, I'm partial to Full Spectrum Warrior and Ghost Recon original. I like SWAT 4 on the PC and that will be my next purchase. As for future games, COD 4 looks damn good. Anyway, thanks for your response, Monk....

format_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 format_kid
Member since 2005 • 3527 Posts
The original Ghost Recon is one of my favorite games ever, I still play it on my computer all the time.
Shift05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shift05
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts
I like pretty much all of Tom Clancy's FPS, they dont seem to disapoint.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
Armed Assault, No Discussion Needed Just Play It.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
I'd say Operation Flashpoint/ArmA (the unofficial sequel) should rank up there.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
I kind of like GRAW 2 for this. The battle situations and storyline are kind of unrealistic, but the tactics you employ require quite a bit of realism. Guiding your team and surveying areas especially. Real life guns, equipment, and sounds is pretty good too. There are probably even more sim-like 3rd persons out there, but I think this is a good mix of realism with just enough exaggeration to make it exciting.
Monkboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Monkboon

Armed Assault, No Discussion Needed Just Play It.Zenkuso

Thanks. I am watching some AA vids on youtube and I must say, it's looking pretty nice. What are your opinions on Close Combat: First to Fight, Americas Army and Battlefirld 2: Modern Combat on the XBOX Original?

Monk....

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

Lately, I have been playing my FPS more than usual. I play Ghost Recon (Original- Backwhen you had to set you way points and give go codes) GR2, Conflict: Global Terror, SWAT, R63: Black Arrow, FSW and a couple more. So I ask, iyo, what is the most realistic Military type shooter out there? I'm playing these on XBOX original but your choice can be on any medium. Also, iyo, what makes your choice the "most realistic".

Right now, of the games I own, I'm partial to Full Spectrum Warrior and Ghost Recon original. I like SWAT 4 on the PC and that will be my next purchase. As for future games, COD 4 looks damn good. Anyway, thanks for your response, Monk....

Monkboon

Americas Army obviously. No one knows what real fighting is like more then the US Army.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TOAO_Cyrus1

I kind of like GRAW 2 for this. The battle situations and storyline are kind of unrealistic, but the tactics you employ require quite a bit of realism. Guiding your team and surveying areas especially. Real life guns, equipment, and sounds is pretty good too. There are probably even more sim-like 3rd persons out there, but I think this is a good mix of realism with just enough exaggeration to make it exciting. whoisryanmack

The battles in GRAW are very unrealistic in that its usually just three of you vs hundreds of enemies. Real armies never operate like that. SF in real life either avoid confrontation and call in air support are recruit/provide support for locals (major tactic in Afganistan).

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
OperationFlashpoint/ Armed Assault easily
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whoisryanmack

[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]I kind of like GRAW 2 for this. The battle situations and storyline are kind of unrealistic, but the tactics you employ require quite a bit of realism. Guiding your team and surveying areas especially. Real life guns, equipment, and sounds is pretty good too. There are probably even more sim-like 3rd persons out there, but I think this is a good mix of realism with just enough exaggeration to make it exciting. TOAO_Cyrus1

The battles in GRAW are very unrealistic in that its usually just three of you vs hundreds of enemies. Real armies never operate like that. SF in real life either avoid confrontation and call in air support are recruit/provide support for locals (major tactic in Afganistan).

So you did or did not notice that I said "battle situations...are kind of unrealistic"? And you're exaggerating, at most it is probably 10 or 12 vs 3. The entire premise to the game is that you ARE the backup. If you had to call in reinforcements, it wouldnt be much of a "ghost recon". Beyond that, if you're in the middle of a war ridden city, you're going to have to fight whether thats "how the army works" or not....unless you can just explain to your enemies that you are not comfortable with your odds.

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i thought americas army is suppose to be the most realistic
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

[QUOTE="Zenkuso"]Armed Assault, No Discussion Needed Just Play It.Monkboon

Thanks. I am watching some AA vids on youtube and I must say, it's looking pretty nice. What are your opinions on Close Combat: First to Fight, Americas Army and Battlefirld 2: Modern Combat on the XBOX Original?

Monk....

If its only for xbox then its americas army, if its for pc armed assault is the best easily and it doesn't have steep requirements.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TOAO_Cyrus1
[QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"]

[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]I kind of like GRAW 2 for this. The battle situations and storyline are kind of unrealistic, but the tactics you employ require quite a bit of realism. Guiding your team and surveying areas especially. Real life guns, equipment, and sounds is pretty good too. There are probably even more sim-like 3rd persons out there, but I think this is a good mix of realism with just enough exaggeration to make it exciting. whoisryanmack

So you did or did not notice that I said "battle situations...are kind of unrealistic"? And you're exaggerating, at most it is probably 10 or 12 vs 3. The entire premise to the game is that you ARE the backup. If you had to call in reinforcements, it wouldnt be much of a "ghost recon". Beyond that, if you're in the middle of a war ridden city, you're going to have to fight whether thats "how the army works" or not....unless you can just explain to your enemies that you are not comfortable with your odds.

Over the whole level you end up fighting hundreds and the whole premise of Ghost Recon is that your a super elite soldier thats supposed to go up against tremendous odds, which is unrealistic.

If that situation happened in real life the army would have an entire airborn brigade in there in no time. You would just secure the president and call in massive air strikes to keep the enemy at bay untill backup arrives. Oh and you would have at least a couple of hellicopters of soldiers at youre back not just two. Hell I bet the presidents traviling security force numbers in the dozzens.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Operation Flashpoint. Seriously. In no other game have I wandered around for two hours, not finding a single foe...and then gettingplugged in the headby some sniper I never saw.

Monkboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Monkboon
Where does Socom 3 and BF2:MC (XBOX) rank up there for you guy? Thank you, Monk....
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
Americas Army is the only correct answer. There shouldnt even be a debate about this.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whoisryanmack
[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"][QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"]

[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]I kind of like GRAW 2 for this. The battle situations and storyline are kind of unrealistic, but the tactics you employ require quite a bit of realism. Guiding your team and surveying areas especially. Real life guns, equipment, and sounds is pretty good too. There are probably even more sim-like 3rd persons out there, but I think this is a good mix of realism with just enough exaggeration to make it exciting. TOAO_Cyrus1

Over the whole level you end up fighting hundreds and the whole premise of Ghost Recon is that your a super elite soldier thats supposed to go up against tremendous odds, which is unrealistic.

If that situation happened in real life the army would have an entire airborn brigade in there in no time. You would just secure the president and call in massive air strikes to keep the enemy at bay untill backup arrives. Oh and you would have at least a couple of hellicopters of soldiers at youre back not just two. Hell I bet the presidents traviling security force numbers in the dozzens.

the idea is that no one knows about you though. If they could just send in airstrikes all day and just end it, they would. Your whole purpose is to be a small group that ends things while no one knows you're even there. Still, I totally agree that it seems unrealistic, but I said that. I just think the actual fighting and equipment in the game is pretty realistically done, just not the scale of it....but thats what makes it fun.

As a side note, I wonder how unrealistic it really is. I think we would be surprised at the kinds of things the government does during a "ceasefire" or situation in which we are "not involved". If I knew, they'd have to kill me. lol.