Disco Elysium - the 1st 10 out of 10 on GS this year and PC exclusive * Come to pay respect

• 61 results
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2010 Posts

I like the mechanics and actual Role Playing of the game, it’s a mixed call back to the Infinity Engine games from Black Isle, and the old Sierra adventure games.

However, I can’t get past the very in your face preachy politics the game throws at you with almost every encounter. It’s a very ideologically driven game, and that’s not the same as a game that philosophically driven or an enclosed story with philosophical meaning.

I respect the RPG mechanics going on here, and hats off to the development team for a solid ruleset. However, the hard line politics and very loose use of modern grammar turn me off to the game. I’m sure some people will very much enjoy it just for those things, and not like the things about it I do find very good.

I’d like to add, if you do like this style of gameplay, and would like something more philosophical and thought provoking, I’d highly recommend Torment: Tides of Numenera, the modern successor to the great Planescape: Torment, the game Disco Elysium draws much of its mechanics from.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2010 Posts

@pyro1245:

I disagree 100%.

Baldur’s Gate, Forgotten Realms, and the whole of the Faurun D&D setting in general need a level of writing and storytelling skill that Larian has never, ever shown.

The Divinity games are poorly written, ad hoc, lack consistency in style and verbiage, and have poor world building.

That’s completely different from a technical skill, game design perspective I’ll point out though. As far as design, technical skill, and layout, I would say they would make a decent team. I just think this is not what they need to do. Its over there heads in ways I don’t see fixable to bring justice to D&D and the series.

I would say give the game to Obsidian or InXile, give them money and tech support, and make a real Baldur’s Gate 3.

What we are gonna get is Divinity 3 with pasted on 5th Edition D&D skill names and a generic Forgotten Realms story with some character name dropping. You can quote me on that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5478 Posts

@evilross: Yeah I may not have thought very hard about it. You make some fair concerns.

I really hope we don't get a re-branded DOS3. I kind of assumed Larian would be more competent than that. We know they can make a good game, but I guess it will remain to be seen whether they can weave together a good narrative - or hire people who can.

TBH i have no idea how Larian's writing team has changed since DOS2.

I guess it's worth noting that Wizards of the Coast is working with them to approve quests and make sure the lore is consistent.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18538 Posts

Looking forward to playing it on switch.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13282 Posts

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

@lundy86_4: I find it extremely funny that you're trying to explain SW to one of the biggest trolls in reduc LMFAO.

LOL look who's talking.

Well you were trolling before I got here, and will be after as well, so look who's talking indeed.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#56 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39075 Posts

@i_p_daily: Except for one thing, I was never called the "biggest troll" Mr. Daily ;)

(In fact, I don't remember anyone calling me a troll now that I think about it)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#57 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36972 Posts

@ivangrozny: Review is really well written. Makes me want to try the game but I also must be real with myself, Im not reading all that.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#58 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36972 Posts
@phbz said:

@SolidGame_basic: You're right, when Torment released on the PS4 the forums were flooded with people attacking the game.

LMFAO

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 4641 Posts

so I just started playing and I gotta tell ya ...

this is one those games that makes you think , I have the same feeling that I had when I started watching the Legion

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13282 Posts

@davillain-:So what you're saying is that yes you do troll, i know that and i've called you that before.

Just because no one has called you the biggest troll doesn't mean you're not a troll. Note the difference.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2026 Posts

It's not a PC exclusive, though, at least using the logic of those who are saying "Death Stranding" isn't a PS4 exclusive, since it's coming to other platform(s) next year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#62 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35815 Posts

It's weird reading "congrats to PC" as if PC is a game developer.😐