Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

I was extremely hyped for that game. I thought it would be the proper successor to the original Deus Ex. What we got was ultimately a competent, amazing looking, but overall shallow game.

The RPG mechanics are very surface level and allow little in terms of playstyles. The player doesn't have much agency besides a few choices that impact some quests and the ending. The AI is pretty shit, but I hear it's bugged. As far as RPG experiences go, this is closer to an action game with RPG elements. It has nowhere near the depth of a game like Divinity: Original Sin 2 or Fallout: New Vegas.

Not saying the game is bad, it isn't. It's quite good. However, CD Projekt Red has never made a game I consider deep in the gameplay department (yes, The Witcher 3 is amazing, mostly for its writing and world and quest design (which I guess is gameplay?)). Perhaps the fault lies on me for trusting them to raise the bar when their forte has never been gameplay.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Good thing I was never hyped to begin with and I never watched any sort of trailers for it.

On the surface level, it looks good, but it has deep, deep problems in its core.
Will they be ironed out? Dunno. Time will tell.

All I know is, 30++ hours in, I'm still quite enjoying what I'm playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I agree. I'm enjoying the game, but other than the settings being cool, it's just another open world game. Was thinking last night how similar it is to something like GTA.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I gotta say, I'll loving it so far. I don't disagree with the rpg depth or the dumb AI. The driving model is trash. But of those 3 only the AI is a letdown relative to my expectations. The RPG depth is definitely way deeper than TW3. Way deeper. As far as playstyles go... you can approach things many different ways and there are broad skill trees to spec out to fit your playstyle.

I guess I just don't agree very much - I can't think that I've really had a better experience with this genre in gaming, despite its warts. The Shadowrun games are not as fun or varied in possible experiences, and the nuDeus Ex series definitely is a way more limiting experience (by design, but they stumble even with their more limited scope). I'd take this any day over HR or MD, honestly. For better or worse, I think this is the definitive game for inhabiting that setting right now

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I have to agree with the above posters - I'm really enjoying this one.

It isn't a 10/10 game. Some of the potential hasn't been realised, and some of the gameplay is lacking. But the overall package is impressive - it's an open-world, Deus Ex-style cyberpunk infiltration game with great production values and engaging gameplay. It's a solid 8/10 now, and could go higher with more content and DLC.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Planeforger said:

I have to agree with the above posters - I'm really enjoying this one.

It isn't a 10/10 game. Some of the potential hasn't been realised, and some of the gameplay is lacking. But the overall package is impressive - it's an open-world, Deus Ex-style cyberpunk infiltration game with great production values and engaging gameplay. It's a solid 8/10 now, and could go higher with more content and DLC.

My thoughts. It's a solid or even good game. I rate it a 7/10, not an 8/10, but the point is, I don't think it has lived up to the hype. Many of us thought it would be groundbreaking and raise the bar for open-world RPG's and I'd say it definitely hasn't.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I haven’t played it myself but just going on what I’ve heard and seen of this game I’m just kind of surprised that this is the result of 8 years or so of work.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

It's a great and fun game, but it's no The Witcher 3.

7 was a good score for it; as I said before, 7's mean it's a great game for a lot of people, just not everyone.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JasonOfA36

@Archangel3371 said:

I haven’t played it myself but just going on what I’ve heard and seen of this game I’m just kind of surprised that this is the result of 8 years or so of work.

TBF, real development started right after the last Witcher 3 DLC, which was 2016. 4 years is not enough imo for what seems to be like an ambitious title.

EDIT: So it was Heart of Stone, which was 2014. My bad. https://www.dualshockers.com/cyberpunk-2077-development-following-witcher-3-hearts-of-stone/

naruske101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 naruske101
Member since 2007 • 1062 Posts

I jumped off a cliff recently because of how disappointed I was

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371

@jasonofa36: Really? Yeah I guess they really should have went for five years then.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JasonOfA36

@Archangel3371: I edited it. 6 years apparently. But it seems like it wasn't still enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

My brother finds it boring. It looks boring. I told him to keep the installer, so that we don't have to download it again (We have a bandwidth cap.) if I feel like playing it, but I don't know if I will bother.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Is actually worst whenever you start reading all those threads about "broken" promises made the last few years by the very own studio ... the premises were fantastic on paper, i really loved that part where they say that crime would be different in different parts of the city, like the upper class being more safe than those in the neighborhood, that police could be corrupted, that you would have bounty hunters after you, etc, etc ... all those elements would help to make a much more realistic world, but in the end ... is just another GTA but in the future, and that kind of hurts.

Even if they fix all the bugs, i doubt i'll be getting the game anytime soon.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Skimming through some LP's of the game and it looks like a basic bitch open world game with lots of dialogue and a Cyberpunk veneer. Glad I cancelled.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371

@jasonofa36: Ah, ok. Six years seems like a pretty good amount of time to me. I’d really like to know how things went on behind the scenes there.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

The game is trash. There are so many problems with it's gameplay and role playing mechanics that the only way CD Project Red could fix it is if they redo the whole game

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38793 Posts

From what i've seen, and i have been watching much cuz i don't want to spoil what i am guaranteed to be playing in a few months did look pretty good. Conversations reminded me of a the good old Mass Effect.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24907 Posts

I like its prologue and first few hours then game become another generic open world game with looter shooter mechanics. couldnot play after wards. also story is bad.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:

I like its prologue and first few hours then game become another generic open world game with looter shooter mechanics. couldnot play after wards. also story is bad.

Is the story worse than in Doom Eternal?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I enjoy the game too but I feel like I was falsely advertised a different game.

Why am I sitting down not doing anything when flipping through dialogue? It's not like my dialogue choices make any difference.

Why is the AI on rails? There is no AI in this game outside of the scripted missions.

Why do the cops teleport?

Why is are traffic lights always green whenever I approach them?

Why is there little to no strategy in how I build my character?

Why should I care about Jackie?

What's the point of the life paths?

Why can't I get a haircut?

Why can't I role-play?

This game is 7/10 at best for me.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

We were too busy trying to focus on the games handling of transphobic ads to realize that the game probably wasn’t good to begin with. And by “we” I mean games media and hardcore message board users. (Mostly ResetEra) It’s a good thing polygon and kotaku had trans journalists write the reviews and focus on pronouns and who was sticking what where, instead of all the shit that has caused PlayStation to delist the game. ResetEra didn’t allow discussion of the game for multiple days between the review embargo and release because of a transphobic ad that was actually designed by a member of the LGBTQ+ community. (Don’t bring that point up at era, you’ll catch a ban). It’s like era and gaming publications expected the game to be great, and wanted to use it’s popularity to bring awareness to the cause. But whoops, the game is shit and probably should have been labeled as such the last few months. Alana Pearce must be kicking herself for becoming a marketing arm for the game...I mean she’s been playing it all year. Good thing she isn’t a journo anymore.

Cyberpunk may be a disaster of a game, but it has exposed the games media to the rest of the world. (Again) How many 10’s did the game get? What’s the metacritic? Burn it all down. It’s time

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I wasn't hyped for the game and I agree. I don't think it would be that great even if it wasn't full of bugs and glitches.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#24 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think its quite good, despite the obvious issues. It offers 3 pretty distinct play styles - guns blazing, melee focus or stealth/hacking. that is more variety than The Witcher games ever had.

I think people just had unrealistic expectations, and the marketing really didn't help that.

But when it comes down to it, the strengths and weaknesses are very much in line with the studios previous games. It has a lot of interesting narrative elements, strong characters and intriguing questlines. I don't agree with criticims of the voice acting and writing, Its pretty damn solid, probably on par with something like The Mass Effect trilogy.

The world is gorgeous, detailed and has a cool vibe to it and honestly its about as interactive as Witcher 3's world. Instead of fighting random groups of monsters, you are fighting random groups of criminals and hunting cyber psychos.

I'm about 30 hours into it and nowhere near the end since i'm doing a ton of side quests. Been mostly playing stealth/hacking and its fun when it works, though the AI certainly needs improvement.

The gameplay is pretty average, its rough around the edges and has annoying inventory management. All this could be said of the Witcher 3.

There is a lot of good, and a lot of bad. Some people are focusing on the good, some people are focusing on the bad, the reality is somewhere in between and what is important to you will dictate whether you enjoy it. As a big fan of the entire Witcher trilogy, I'm really enjoying this, but yea they should have delayed it, especially on consoles.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:
@Archangel3371 said:

TBF, real development started right after the last Witcher 3 DLC, which was 2016. 4 years is not enough imo for what seems to be like an ambitious title.

EDIT: So it was Heart of Stone, which was 2014. My bad. https://www.dualshockers.com/cyberpunk-2077-development-following-witcher-3-hearts-of-stone/

Hearts of Stone was 2015 (the base game came out in 2015 as well)

so... 5 years!

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JasonOfA36

@with_teeth26: Nice to know. Thanks for correcting.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

It's an amazing immersive sim but I don't feel sorry for CDPR for getting all this hate. They earned it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghosts4ever

@ghost_of_phobos said:

It's an amazing immersive sim but I don't feel sorry for CDPR for getting all this hate. They earned it.

Its as immersive sim as Watch dogs and Far cry new dawn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@ghosts4ever: You always have the worst opinions.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@ghost_of_phobos said:

@ghosts4ever: You always have the worst opinions.

Enemies drop loot. plus enemies dont even have inventory to consider it immersive sim. enemy having health bar and number pops in is so division/destiny.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hardwenzen

@ghost_of_phobos said:

That's how i feel and i haven't even played the game. I am sure it'll be great fun on Very Hard. Bet you ghost is playing on Normal or Easy and is complaining about the game feeling generic. Of course it will feel generic when its so easy on those difficulties that you can let your mom play the game for you.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

It's a good game. If they took the money they spent on Reeves and spent it on improving the game further, it'd be a great game. Reeves shitty acting made it worse too.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34581 Posts

Are you saying people overhyped the game? Yeah, that's never happened before.

I personally didn't hype the game as the second coming of Jesus, and I'm not surprised about all the issues the game has. Several delays, rushed to get out before the holidays, and you all thought it would go as smooth as butter and that you'd be playing the best game ever. LOL

Had Cyberpunk been perfect as in no technical problems, I image the game could be an 8/10. CDPR just aren't great with gameplay. That's such a huge part of videogame fun that's missing from their games.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I gotta say, I'll loving it so far. I don't disagree with the rpg depth or the dumb AI. The driving model is trash. But of those 3 only the AI is a letdown relative to my expectations. The RPG depth is definitely way deeper than TW3. Way deeper. As far as playstyles go... you can approach things many different ways and there are broad skill trees to spec out to fit your playstyle.

I guess I just don't agree very much - I can't think that I've really had a better experience with this genre in gaming, despite its warts. The Shadowrun games are not as fun or varied in possible experiences, and the nuDeus Ex series definitely is a way more limiting experience (by design, but they stumble even with their more limited scope). I'd take this any day over HR or MD, honestly. For better or worse, I think this is the definitive game for inhabiting that setting right now

Yep, I actually think the gameplay itself is a much higher tier than most RPG games. It has even more options than Fallout/Skyrim as far as combat/stealth goes. Hacking combined with being able to stealth or turn yourself into an assault machine with a huge variety of guns/weapons is already far ahead of most single player RPG games, especially these days. Not to mention, there's a parry/blocking system with melee combat, and you can hold enemies hostage and use them as human shields. Stuff like this just isn't available in most first person RPG games.

There aren't as much choices in some quests as I thought there'd be, but there's still more than most first person massive RPG games. I feel comparing this to Divinity Original Sin 2 is a bit disingenuous, only because it's WAY easier to make quest storylines pan out in different ways in a less detailed isometric RPG where you really only have to worry about dialogue. The devs of Divinity didn't have to make new character animations, didn't have to make tons of detailed locations for possible sidequests, and didn't have to account for the same variety of combat.

The AI isn't the greatest for sure, although I started on very hard difficulty, so sometimes I get one shotted and it can be challenging still at times. Overall, I don't mind it with the damage difficulty spiked up and I find myself still playing it safe at times. It's also incredibly fun to run in with mantis blades and jump around from person to person in a shredding frenzy, although on very hard, it can be dangerous at times when there are like 5 guys shooting at you. It would, however, be quite boring on easier settings.

This game has completely met my high expectations. The only faults I'm finding is the driving and visual glitches and there are quite a few of them, unfortunately; although, It's not ruining my ability to be immersed in the game.

The driving I actually do like for the most part, but it feels like there's not enough weight to cars and they bounce around. Motorcycles are fun to drive, but the faster cars? Not nearly as much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@hardwenzen: Hey, people who like to play in baby mode deserve to enjoy their games too.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

im yet to find the outstanding side quests the witcher 3 had...or anything other than run of the mill open world filler

but ghosts of tsunami was the same content wise snd it won game of the year hah

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

We were too busy trying to focus on the games handling of transphobic ads to realize that the game probably wasn’t good to begin with. And by “we” I mean games media and hardcore message board users. (Mostly ResetEra) It’s a good thing polygon and kotaku had trans journalists write the reviews and focus on pronouns and who was sticking what where, instead of all the shit that has caused PlayStation to delist the game. ResetEra didn’t allow discussion of the game for multiple days between the review embargo and release because of a transphobic ad that was actually designed by a member of the LGBTQ+ community. (Don’t bring that point up at era, you’ll catch a ban). It’s like era and gaming publications expected the game to be great, and wanted to use it’s popularity to bring awareness to the cause. But whoops, the game is shit and probably should have been labeled as such the last few months. Alana Pearce must be kicking herself for becoming a marketing arm for the game...I mean she’s been playing it all year. Good thing she isn’t a journo anymore.

Cyberpunk may be a disaster of a game, but it has exposed the games media to the rest of the world. (Again) How many 10’s did the game get? What’s the metacritic? Burn it all down. It’s time

I feel like all the damn video game journos were exposed because of this game.

The hype journos.

The SJW journos.

The sellout Journos.

The "will say whatever is popular" journos.

None of them ever mentioned actual issues that we see now in the game, even outside of bugs.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Well, they really had us fooled. "It will be ready when it's ready", 8 years of development and THREE delays really gave us the impression that it would at least be polished.

And with the witcher 3 being as good as what it was, it was only natural for us to expect something just as good if not better.

That said, I'm not bitter about it. They just won't be getting a day 1 purchase from me; I'll just wait for a substantial discount of the complete edition.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:

Hideo Kojima brother took U turn after hyping and praising game for years.

Nice try.

The first image is referring to his PC experience. The 2nd is about consoles.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#41 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

It's launches like this where I really miss TotalBiscuit. R.I.P.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I've had almost no issues with the game aside from the occasional, very minor bug.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46216 Posts

@BassMan: Yeah man, he had a unique take on everything and always placed the PC version first.

You will be missed Mr. Biscuit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@ghosts4ever: Nice, racist and spreading misinformation. Well done.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34581 Posts

@thereal25 said:

Well, they really had us fooled. "It will be ready when it's ready", 8 years of development and THREE delays really gave us the impression that it would at least be polished.

No. They might had you fooled. Three delays and trying to quickly get it out for the holidays anyway gave us (or should have given us) the impression that it's gonna be rough.

@thereal25 said:

And with the witcher 3 being as good as what it was, it was only natural for us to expect something just as good if not better.

Sigh. No, Witcher 3 wasn't good on launch. It was good after 20+ patches. Which is yet another sign that the launch of CP2077 was gonna be rough.

@thereal25 said:

That said, I'm not bitter about it. They just won't be getting a day 1 purchase from me; I'll just wait for a substantial discount of the complete edition.

What everyone should've done, and should've known that they should've done.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

I'm loving this since it being so floppy it should hit GamePass sooner rather than later. lol :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@diefthyntis: yeah honestly that part of his argument, and Ghost piling on calling it just a GTA, is the part I find the most baffling. Could you play it like GTA if you wanted? Sure.... I guess... ignoring all the build and playstyle options is technically one way to "role play".