Digital Foundry : we've heard from multiple developers that Xbox Series S is a bit of a pain at times

• 168 results
KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#51 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12937 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Reading your post, I have a feeling Xbox Series S could be dropped too (though in something like 4 years).

They won't drop the Series S. It's a next gen console and is selling like hotcakes and most developers haven't had issues developing games for it. Not to mention, MS will support the millions of gamers that already own a Series S for the next 7 years or more. They won't be alienating next gen gamers, lol..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#53 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

@girlusocrazy: So no proof that the Series S is hindering game design.😎

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: Unlike DF, I have direct access to development hardware.🙂

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

@x_hedon said:

They won't drop the Series S. It's a next gen console and is selling like hotcakes and most developers haven't had issues developing games for it. Not to mention, MS will support the millions of gamers that already own a Series S for the next 7 years or more. They won't be alienating next gen gamers, lol..

@girlusocrazy said:

If they did that nobody would trust them to launch another SKU like that in the future, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot

But the thing is: systems get dropped all the time, it's completely normal.

Nobody would feel that upset if it were dropped in 4 years, and those still "next gen" gaming then will be a very small minority.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 KvallyX

@R4gn4r0k said:
@x_hedon said:

@girlusocrazy said:

If they did that nobody would trust them to launch another SKU like that in the future, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot

But the thing is: systems get dropped all the time, it's completely normal.

Nobody would feel that upset if it were dropped in 4 years, and those still "next gen" gaming then will be a very small minority.

They can stop making them sure. But they will still make games for it alongside the Xbox Series X. So why not still sell it since they are still putting games on it either way.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: Nothing I said about second hand information on my end. Don't get upset that you rely on second hand information from a third party source while I do not. 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Pedro

@girlusocrazy: Don't be upset that I have direct access and you don't but you have your uncle DF.🤣

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 R4gn4r0k

@x_hedon said:

They can stop making them sure. But they will still make games for it alongside the Xbox Series X. So why not still sell it since they are still putting games on it either way.

If the game isn't compromised, sure

Let's say a Ori 3 would exist, you could make that for Xbox One X and up.

But let's say GTA is being compromised from needing to run on Series S, I'd be fine with them dropping it for that game.

Ok, GTA is a bad example. As they want as big an install base as possible.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: Turning your system to a devkit is not the same as an actual devkit but you don't know because you rely on your uncle DF.😂

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#66 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@vfighter said:

@pc_rocks: Chromebook, you play on a Chromebook. 🤣 Let that sink in for a second.

Also, what game am I playing at 720, I'd love to know?

Sorry son, I'm not like you. I didn't play any game in 720p in over one and a half decade.

So which resolution and frame rate do you play CP2077 at? Oh wait, I forgot. 720p is too high a number for you. You play certain games at 0p/0FPS even though you hypes them being a part of hive mind cult. Letthat sink in.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 KvallyX

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PC_Rocks

@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:

As expected. The biggest bottleneck is the memory bandwidth. Devs can work somewhat with lower memory but memory bandwidth is something that will be a pain in the a$$. It's X1 all over again with its DDR3 memory and crap bandwidth. Just to put things in perspective Series S memory bandwidth is a little over PS4's from 2013.

Devs are dropping PS4 and Xbox One because eventhough they could still support PS 4 pro and Xbox One X, the base consoles are too old at this point.

Reading your post, I have a feeling Xbox Series S could be dropped too (though in something like 4 years).

Nah, they can't unless they want to drop Xbox completely. You can't develop for just one of the Series consoles.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Devs are dropping PS4 and Xbox One because eventhough they could still support PS 4 pro and Xbox One X, the base consoles are too old at this point.

Nah, they can't unless they want to drop Xbox completely. You can't develop for just one of the Series consoles.

Microsoft can't, but I'm talking about third party, who most definitely can.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: They can't.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Pedro

@girlusocrazy: Must be really awkward for you to talk to someone with hands on experience while you rely on uncle DF 😁.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:

In reference to one of my original replies:

systems get dropped all the time, it's completely normal.

So what makes this system special? Are you still getting software support for your original iPhone just because it says it's an "iPhone"?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Pedro said:

Sure they can. They can just skip Xbox altogether. Lets hope that never happens. But if/when it does, this place is gonna be fun!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k: They are not dropping Series S and Series S development is mandatory. Developers are strictly forbidden from having any Series X only games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Pedro

@goldenelementxl: Note context.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

They won't drop the series s anytime soon they are all in on both consoles. If they did they would look foolish for even releasing it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:

@R4gn4r0k: They are not dropping Series S and Series S development is mandatory. Developers are strictly forbidden from having any Series X only games.

Hmmm interesting, but it would be interesting to see what happens in four years as well, when devs find out they can't get around Series S shortcomings anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

Hmmm interesting, but it would be interesting to see what happens in four years as well, when devs find out they can't get around Series S shortcomings anymore.

Again, the dev could just not launch on Xbox. Or the Series S version could be streaming only...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 PC_Rocks

@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Microsoft can't, but I'm talking about third party, who most definitely can.

No, no one can! If you need to develop for Xbox you have to develop for both Series S and X. It's the same as you need to support both PS4 and Pro in Sony's case and X1 and X1X in MS's case.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 R4gn4r0k

@goldenelementxl said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

Again, the dev could just not launch on Xbox. Or the Series S version could be streaming only...

Yes, very true. But if the Series S version is streaming they could say "oh well we developed a Series S version too"

Eventhough we all know, at that point they stopped developing for Series S.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k said:

There is nothing on the Series S would be a hard roadblock to developers.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 KvallyX

Are devs going to drop the PS5 because it is holding back the Xbox Series X? Unlikely. They won't drop the Series S either.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@blaznwiipspman1: Technically all these games can already run in potato mode on low spec systems already. The problem isn't getting it to work at all, but doing the QA and spending the time on polish and consistency. Although those techniques can help slightly bring up the quality of the end result, they won't make it any less work.

and so...?? They get paid good money to do their damn job, why do you care about the amount of work they do? lol

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 blaznwiipspman1
@vfighter said:

@blaznwiipspman1: 720 in 2022, you're beyond delusional at this point 🤣

and whats your point? Its not 720p, its DRS 720p, which means dynamic resolution scaling with a low bar set to 720p. Most of the time it will hit 1080p. Its hilarious, you are playing off a ps4, not even a ps5 and trashing series S graphics. Why don't you buy that ps5 already? Thats right, not even you want to get milked for $700 for a ps5, and I applaud you. Your a cow but not a fool.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 blaznwiipspman1
@lavamelon said:

Xbox Series S is good because it forces devs to optimise their games for low-end hardware. This optimisation can carry over to low end PC gaming. Not every PC gamer has high-end hardware

yep, great post. These whining devs are just annoying.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 blaznwiipspman1
@goldenelementxl said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@girlusocrazy: Theres no need for series S to get 1080p all the time. People will be happy with 720p.

On these 55”+ 4K TVs?!?! Nah…

I feel like if you said this in 2013, you’d get laughed out of system wars. Yet, here we are, in 2022. Saying 1080p isn’t necessary, and that most people would be happy with 720p…

yes, the nintendo switch proved this, selling potato hardware for $350. Let that sink in, its not even on the level of a ps4, but actually a ps3 but selling 107 million units, and expecting to beat the ps4, and possibly even surpass the ps2 by the time its done. Let that sink in again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

So why are developers bitching? And most are still making cross gen games. Let’s see what happens when last gen support is dropped

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

@goldenelementxl: Developers always complain. Every machine has its weaknesses. Developers will always hit a wall (especially in the AAA sector).

last gen the CPUs in the systems were universally crapped on and they weren't thrilled with the storage setup either.

The PS3 and 360 gen: ram again. also for the PS3 specifically....er....all of it. they hated that thing :P. funnily enough Michael Ancel of Ubisoft did describe the Wii as "perfect" though so.....devs eh?

I could go on.

the gap in performance between the Series S and Series X is nowhere near to the degree that devs would need to drop support for the S. Most Series X games will be targeting 1600P internal rendering with a final output of 4K. Dropping that to 900P with an output target of 1080P closes most of the gap. Drop texture details a bit (further compression), bring in the draw distance a bit and that closes even more of the gap. Functionally anything the Series X can do the series S can also do at the end of the day.

Anyone who bought a Series S to play on a 4K 55" OLED TV made a poor purchasing decision. Its not made for it. I don't think MS even advertise that it does it (though correct me if i'm wrong). its a solid current gen 1080P console.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

I thought it was targeted at as a 1080p machine with 1440p support mainly for indie games which can hit 4k in some. I knew exactly what I was getting.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

So why are developers bitching? And most are still making cross gen games. Let’s see what happens when last gen support is dropped

Because they have to do more work. Every configuration added is added work. It is really that simple.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 R4gn4r0k

@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I wouldn't mind them still supporting the Pro and the One X but the base consoles need to be dropped. It's been 9 years since base PS4 and Xbox One released.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@osan0: The memory bandwidth on the Series S will require more than dropping resolution, draw distance and and other quality settings. We’ve seen multiple games just axe 60fps for the Series S. Others are missing features altogether. And these are still cross-gen games for the most part. The RAM is so slow, and the bandwidth is so tight, that we will see more and more issues as the generation goes on.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

@osan0: The memory bandwidth on the Series S will require more than dropping resolution, draw distance and and other quality settings. We’ve seen multiple games just axe 60fps for the Series S. Others are missing features altogether. And these are still cross-gen games for the most part. The RAM is so slow, and the bandwidth is so tight, that we will see more and more issues as the generation goes on.

What gameplay features have been cut from Series S games?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Same reasons developers have praised it.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

What gameplay features have been cut from Series S games?

Graphical features. Performance options

Some games don’t offer performance and fidelity options.
Some games have axed raytracing
Some games only run at 30fps

There was a Digital Foundry article detailing how the Series S was being outclassed graphically by the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

As for gameplay features. Some might argue the missing FPS options have an impact on gameplay. But beyond that, there are none. And I don’t suspect there will be. Xbox would move a game to streaming only before altering gameplay on the Series S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@x_hedon said:
@goldenelementxl said:

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 KvallyX

@goldenelementxl said:
@x_hedon said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Agreed ;)