Digital Foundry vs The Last of Us: Remastered

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

"those dynamic real-time shadows can look pretty low res on PS3, and they still do here - and contrary to reports they appear to remain the same, with identical cascade transitions if you toggle the game to run at the optional 30fps."

"Update 28/7/14 14:35: Yes, improved shadow quality at 30fps is in the game but only once the day one patch has been applied. The EU release rolled out considerably behind the US version, hence the confusion. We'll have more on the update soon."

"However, more GPU-intensive effects may have impacted The Last of Us Remastered's other major enhancement: 60fps gameplay, doubled from the PS3 30fps standard (and based on our analysis videos, a target it frequently had issues sustaining). To answer the question everyone's been asking, frame-rate isn't locked to 60fps, but The Last of Us Remastered does spend the vast majority of its time at the optimal refresh. Problems can kick in during busy combat scenes, and just like the PS3 version, particles and transparent effects in particular can take their toll - the first confrontation with a fungus-spewing Bloater sees frame-rate hit a minimum of 48fps."

"In summary, is The Last of Us Remastered truly next-gen before its time? In many ways, yes. A defining technological statement for the PlayStation 3 transitions across to PS4 very well overall, but the big takeaway from our experience is that there's more to a game's next-gen credentials than the quality of its pixels alone. Gameplay truly is king and you'll struggle to find any game on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One that matches up to the sheer quality on offer here. If you're new to PlayStation and haven't played The Last of Us before, it is recommended without reservation - you'll get more value out of this game than the vast majority of full-price PS4 software. And if you've already played it on PlayStation 3? We'll have answers for you on that front tomorrow."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-the-last-of-us-remastered

so basically you're paying $50 for an up-res'd last-gen game that can't even maintain a consistent 60FPS? That's Naughty "GODs" for you.

Some screens:

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

So it does dip even when locked on 30 FPS... well played sony.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I contest TLOU having special gameplay. It was above average at best - nothing head and shoulders above anything that's already out on the PS4.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

"we're looking at 1080p resolution at 60fps in both single and multi-player, a 4x detail increase to texture maps and a 2x resolution boost to shadow maps. Texture streaming is no longer required owing to the PS4's prodigious RAM, and there's longer draw distances, better LOD and improved particle effects. In essence, Naughty Dog has scaled up the original game to full HD and boosted assets to match, while doubling frame-rate."

Thread Backfire.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

For the love of f*ck, don't buy this and support milking. Zero effort went into this... I bet they locked like 6 devs in a basement for 2 months to make this version while the rest are working on UC4.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@silversix_: i will double dip on this masterpiece!

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Thread Backfire.

Not really.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

@silversix_: i will double dip on this masterpiece!

you're in for a real treat

byhzyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 byhzyy
Member since 2014 • 48 Posts

2:12 ghost grass

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It's never locked at 60 when they say it's running at 60FPS.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

So a cash grab like we all suspected (cows excluded).

I love how he tries to DC things at the end by bringing the supposedly "stellar gameplay".

It's a fucking analysis of a remaster, graphics are the main point, stay with that, the original game was reviewed already.

This lame attempt is clearly not worth $50.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Just one more day till I get my copy! And having seen the frame rate test, I can see that its mostly at 60 FPS, so I'm happy with that.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

A lot of people called it.

Despite it's technical short-comings, this is still a great game. People should not fixate themselves on frame rates and resolutions. It's all about the experience. And TLOU's experience is pretty amazing.

The only people who should be picking this up are the one's who've never played it on the PS3.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Framerate looks good to me. I would have a hard time noticing a 48fps dip lol. People here cry too much. Sure ND could of done a better job... MGSV looks better and never drops a single frame, no matter what you do. So yeah... people need to grow up and stop crying. If this game was great sub 30 fps on PS3 why cry about double the framerate and resolution on PS4? Kids nowadays xD

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Nice cherry picking from the article, and even then a drop down to 48 fps once in a long while is fine with me.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Man it is so dissapointing that this gen is such a tiny improvement over last gen. I remember the transition from PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3, those were HUGE leaps. And now we have this shit. Running the same games and they can't even run it at 144 fps or whatever, which should be the case.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Oh wow, 99% 60fps. Very nice.

In before hordes of lemmings try and make something of it.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

The frame rates dips to 48fps which is more acceptable for most people and there is no screen tearing from what I've read. In the original the frame rate constantly fluctuates and even dips as low as 22fps on rare occasions and it's really a shame.
This is really the first game that actually makes me want to buy a ps4 as I haven't played the original on ps3.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's probably because the game was optimized for the cell processor, and porting to to an x86 APU created some optimization problems. It's a lazy remaster. They would have to recreate the engine to have it look any better.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

and that's why they call it the soony pauperstation

should of went 900p if they cant handle 1080p

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

So a cash grab like we all suspected (cows excluded).

I love how he tries to DC things at the end by bringing the supposedly "stellar gameplay".

It's a fucking analysis of a remaster, graphics are the main point, stay with that, the original game was reviewed already.

This lame attempt is clearly not worth $50.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The PS fanboys will still stand in line to buy it either way. Add that to the people who didn't own the game on the PS3, and Sony still wins.

Why even make new games when they can just remaster PS2 / PS3, and PC games, and put them on the Milkstation Port?

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

"Gameplay truly is king and you'll struggle to find any game on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One that matches up to the sheer quality on offer here."

B-b-but TLOU doesn't have gameplay. HOW MUCH DID NAUGHTY DOG PAY YOU!? CONFESS!

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

TLOU, bringing the jelly, to a new generation.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GrenadeLauncher

@Evo_nine said:

and that's why they call it the soony pauperstation

should of went 900p if they cant handle 1080p

No one calls it that, silly. Not like the Xboned.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

So it's mostly locked at 60fps, even during action. Nice. I expected some drops, but this good. Honestly, 30fps was still good for the single player imo.

In the end, atleast it's not another Tomb Raider or Sniper Elite 3. Gives me some hope UC4 will be 60fps locked. If not, i do hope ND give a 30fps option again.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

The PS fanboys will still stand in line to buy it either way. Add that to the people who didn't own the game on the PS3, and Sony still wins.

Why even make new games when they can just remaster PS2 / PS3, and PC games, and put them on the Milkstation Port?

Yeah look at the xbox one biggest games for this holiday the one all lemmings are talking about what is it.? Halo 5,a new Gears of war at least.? No Halo 2 remake with other 3 halos on xbox 360 already drop into the same case..lol

I can buy Halo,3,4 and CE all 3 on amazon for 18 dollars used..lol

I love when fanboys go their way to flame something that is also happening on their console of choice..lol

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 parkurtommo

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Man it is so dissapointing that this gen is such a tiny improvement over last gen. I remember the transition from PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3, those were HUGE leaps. And now we have this shit. Running the same games and they can't even run it at 144 fps or whatever, which should be the case.

Thinking a gen 7 uprezzed game is all gen 8 will offer is highly misinformed.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that considering how little this "uprezzed" game offers, it would be running at much higher fps if Sony and MS actually bothered with pushing the boundaries of their hardware, but they didn't because that wouldn't get them as much money and we all know how little bro gamers care about technological advancements. I bet most gamers are so oblivious that they actually find PS4 graphics impressive... That's why Sony doesn't even have to try...

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@silversix_ said:

For the love of f*ck, don't buy this and support milking. Zero effort went into this... I bet they locked like 6 devs in a basement for 2 months to make this version while the rest are working on UC4.

If the game were sold cheaper I'd disagree with you. But market price for updated graphics and resolution isn't a trend I like. Then again, I'm all for Halo: MCC and that will be fll price as well. The only argument there is the content is just massive. But at the end of the day TLOU is a great, great game.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Looks bad for a PS4 game...
Excpected better graphics.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It seems like the answer is clear.

If you haven't played it and have a PS4, get This Re-release. If you have a PS3, don't bother getting this game for the PS4, just grab a PS3 copy.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

So the most powerful console on the planet ayye?

That's pretty sad....I will still gamefly this because I never finished the original but still sad.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Cows getting milked,who would have tought?

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Wow. Can't believe you guys are giving this a pass after months of "1080P 60 FPS locked". If this were an XB1 game cows would be coming out of the woodwork with "LOL XB1 can't do 1080P 60FPS".

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Naughty Dog, you're better than this http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131120001458/elderscrolls/images/f/f0/Facepalm.gif I wonder if this was rushed just so Sony have something to plop into the slow summer months.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@tormentos said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Yeah look at the xbox one biggest games for this holiday the one all lemmings are talking about what is it.? Halo 5,a new Gears of war at least.? No Halo 2 remake with other 3 halos on xbox 360 already drop into the same case..lol

I can buy Halo,3,4 and CE all 3 on amazon for 18 dollars used..lol

I love when fanboys go their way to flame something that is also happening on their console of choice..lol

First off, you forgot to add in Halo 2, and the shipping cost to get your used games. Here are the lowest currently available used prices for the Halo games on Amazon U.S.

• Halo CE (Not Anniversary...regular old Xbox version) $1.18 + 3.08 shipping. Total $4.26
  • Halo 2 (Not upgraded....regular old Xbox version with no multi-player support) $3.75 plus $3.99 shipping. Total $7.74
  • Halo 3 - $1 plus $4.67 shipping. Total $5.67
  • Halo 4 - $3.83 plus $5.95 shipping. Total $9.78

Grand Total $27.45. Also If you throw in Halo Anniversary instead of of Halo CE. That adds another $13 to the price (so $40). So even if someone wanted to buy all of the games used, and buy Halo and Halo 2 in their Xbox forms, it would still cost almost $30 to do it.

Now to make an even more fair comparison (new vs new) it would cost you $70.24 to buy all 4 games on Amazon. That's not including the upgraded version of Halo 2, and the other stuff in the Master Chief collection. So overall a pretty good deal to have all 4 games, plus the extras all in one package. Wouldn't you say? No of course not.

BTW, I wasn't flaming anything. Well except for maybe mindless fanboy drones. Why are you so defensive? Do you fit that category? Were you offended?

The PS4 is my console of choice this generation, and it's a great console. I just think Sony is milking the crap out of it by re-releasing old games and PC ports instead of new games. MS isn't doing much better in the original games department either....so....sure the MC collection is probably milkage. However there is a big difference in upgrading games that are over 10 years old, and upgrading a game that is just a year old.

Also how many re-mastered games is MS doing for the XBone (pretty sure MC collection is the only one announced)? Compare that to all the remastered crap Sony is doing for the PS4. So which company is the milkage master?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Naughty GODS.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 parkurtommo

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Thinking a gen 7 uprezzed game is all gen 8 will offer is highly misinformed.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that considering how little this "uprezzed" game offers, it would be running at much higher fps if Sony and MS actually bothered with pushing the boundaries of their hardware, but they didn't because that wouldn't get them as much money and we all know how little bro gamers care about technological advancements. I bet most gamers are so oblivious that they actually find PS4 graphics impressive... That's why Sony doesn't even have to try...

Well if you're not impressed with PS4 exclusives on the way graphically, then I don't know what to say. The Order is scary graphics when you think about it. The sheer detail is very impressive. Far far beyond last gen capabilities. Infamous SS is only really appreciated when you compare it to last gen games of it's type with the same art style i.e. Infamous 2. It's a generational leap both asthetically and technologically.

Expect Uncharted 4 to do the same over Uncharted 3. May not look exactly like the trailer, but not far off.

I'm really not. You could see stuff this good on PC years ago. Sure new games will always look better than stuff from before, that's basic logic. But my issue is: how much better though? In this gen, so far? Not much better.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

First off, you forgot to add in Halo 2, and the shipping cost to get your used games. Here are the lowest currently available used prices for the Halo games on Amazon U.S.

• Halo CE (Not Anniversary...regular old Xbox version) $1.18 + 3.08 shipping. Total $4.26
  • Halo 2 (Not upgraded....regular old Xbox version with no multi-player support) $3.75 plus $3.99 shipping. Total $7.74
  • Halo 3 - $1 plus $4.67 shipping. Total $5.67
  • Halo 4 - $3.83 plus $5.95 shipping. Total $9.78

Grand Total $27.45. Also If you throw in Halo Anniversary instead of of Halo CE. That adds another $13 to the price (so $40). So even if someone wanted to buy all of the games used, and buy Halo and Halo 2 in their Xbox forms, it would still cost almost $30 to do it.

Now to make an even more fair comparison (new vs new) it would cost you $70.24 to buy all 4 games on Amazon. That's not including the upgraded version of Halo 2, and the other stuff in the Master Chief collection. So overall a pretty good deal to have all 4 games, plus the extras all in one package. Wouldn't you say? No of course not.

BTW, I wasn't flaming anything. Well except for maybe mindless fanboy drones. Why are you so defensive? Do you fit that category? Were you offended?

The PS4 is my console of choice this generation, and it's a great console. I just think Sony is milking the crap out of it by re-releasing old games and PC ports instead of new games. MS isn't doing much better in the original games department either....so....sure the MC collection is probably milkage. However there is a big difference in upgrading games that are over 10 years old, and upgrading a game that is just a year old.

Also how many re-mastered games is MS doing for the XBone (pretty sure MC collection is the only one announced)? Compare that to all the remastered crap Sony is doing for the PS4. So which company is the milkage master?

No i didn't read halo 2 is there.

$27 dollars period,cheaper and i don't have to buy a new console,Halo 2 is not work more than $30 dollars just like TLOU is not worth $50 or $60,i am very linear on that.

Why is unfair.? I can use used games on my damn consoles why the fu** would i want to buy Halo 3 or 4 new if i didn't own them,hell that is what MS faced a huge backlash for.

So no i use used games which is totally find,and since 3 of those 4 games are on xbox 360 i don't need to re buy them on xbox one,even less for more than would cost me.

Sure you wasn't right Milkstation port.? lol

In fact the game this thread is based on is almost 100% warranty to cost me nothing...

Because sony tend to do cross buy on this games like Flower and Flow,which mean if you have it on PS3,yeah is free on PS4,which is what MS should have done with Halo3,4 and Ce and sell you Halo 2 for $20,and sony as well with TLOU.

You start on 1 ask sony,and when talking about milkage nothing beat MS,at least those games like Flower and flow,and probably Journey are cross buy which mean i get it free on PS4,you can't say that about Halo Collection and the $60 price tag it carry.

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It seems like the answer is clear.

If you haven't played it and have a PS4, get This Re-release. If you have a PS3, don't bother getting this game for the PS4, just grab a PS3 copy.

If you have a PS3 and you own this game is also free on PS4,other wise people should skip those pesky remakes,the same apply to TLOU which i will not buy for that same reason.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#47 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@tormentos said:

If you have a PS3 and you own this game is also free on PS4,other wise people should skip those pesky remakes,the same apply to TLOU which i will not buy for that same reason.

The Logic is sound, but you know what they say. Graphics and Performance sells.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Dropping to a low of 48fps is pretty good especially when this will rarely happen. Yall complaining about nothing.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@amazonangry said:

TLOU, bringing the jelly, to a new generation.

...except for those of us who have already played it

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GrenadeLauncher

I'll pick this up when it's cheaper further down the year. Really want to get my hands on the MP again.