Digital Foundry: Valve Steam Deck Spec Analysis: Can It Really Handle AAA PC Gaming?

• 61 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 10819 Posts
@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: The install size on Steam is massive. Nintendo brilliantly compresses the size of these game to match the hardware.

The Steam Deck is nice for those with talent. But for normal gamers, it’s a very poor device to game on.

Do you have any places in particular where i can buy talent? I'd like the deck to feel nice, and without talent, it simply won't.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 19372 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: The install size on Steam is massive. Nintendo brilliantly compresses the size of these game to match the hardware.

The Steam Deck is nice for those with talent. But for normal gamers, it’s a very poor device to game on.

Do you have any places in particular where i can buy talent? I'd like the deck to feel nice, and without talent, it simply won't.

Me no understand either.... Talent?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2017 Posts

@mesome713: i can put indies, smaller AAA games and emulations on the microsd which will be big. 256gb ssd will be enough for a few AAA games on the go. I can also replace the SSD with a bigger one. Lol ur criticizing steam deck but not nintendo switch? They didnt even update their hardware lol. It was already a POS in 2017 and extremely outdated by 2021 and 22. Better start praying they make a pro model or sheep are screwed. Crap hardware, Crap ports, crap graphics, crap framerates, overpriced games, and crap online. Have fun

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1427 Posts

I think the people hyping up Steam Deck will be in for a rude awakening when Christmas comes around...

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 8243 Posts

@mesome713: I agree, the deck isn't for the average gamer. It's nice you can play pc games on it. But most pc games are better played on bigger screens than 7 inches. The biggest negative is that the deck won't have nintendos heavy hitters like Mario kart, smash bros, metroid, Zelda, Mario bros, Pokémon, etc etc. You can play pc games on deck but not much else. On top of that, switch has 2 huge things going for it. Price and the proprietary cartridge. You can pick up a switch for $200 right now and it will play every nintendo game. The cheapest deck that is suitable for pc gaming is the mid range one for $500. Even though switch has 32 gb internal storage, it doesn't even matter. The physical games run off the cartridge without any installation.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 788 Posts

@luxuryheart said:

I think the people hyping up Steam Deck will be in for a rude awakening when Christmas comes around...

True. I don't mind enthusiasts wanting new ways to experience handheld play, even though I think gaming laptops are probably much better for AAA third party, but those talking about it becoming a sales powerhouse should temper their expectations severely.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16548 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Got shitty mem bandwidth apparantly.

Just saw this, funny enough - good news on that front

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#58 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6283 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@Random_Matt said:

Got shitty mem bandwidth apparantly.

Just saw this, funny enough - good news on that front

Yes, valve has updated the specs. Thought it originally never made sense.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29011 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

I don't really care if it can, it's an ultra portable PC! The 7" netbook market disappeared and turned into the Chromebook market and those are really lacking in specs, still too big, and few features. I might be able to throw this in a bag easily, and customize it how I want right out of the box.

Games is a bonus!

eh, yeah, I see what you're saying, but you really couldn't use this in a PC functionality. It would be pretty cumbersome.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13896 Posts

@clone01: For me it's better than carrying around a laptop. I have screens and keyboards and mice everywhere I go and being able to have the same device that I can also use in a portable scenario in a pinch is great.

A Librem 5 or Pinephone would also work well as a Linux machine too but this has beefier specs than that by far. I might look at the FXTec Pro1-X too, that's very compelling.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2294 Posts

It can