Digital Foundry: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (X1/PS4)

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis

The Xbox One game has clear disadvantages against the PlayStation 4 release that we'll explore in a moment, but they're best described as annoyances as opposed to anything genuinely game-breaking.

Beenox has at least handed in a native 1080p presentation on both Xbox One and PS4, as promised. This is backed up by what appears to be standard post-processing anti-aliasing, seemingly identical between the two games.

The most immediately noticeable difference between the two platforms is the gamma level - it seems to be excessively skewed on Xbox One, resulting in clear black crush, especially impactful in night-time scenes, where PS4 resolves detail in a much more agreeable manner. Other differences are thin on the ground - there are some examples of textures shunted across and warped where they shouldn't be on Xbox One, and we also see a heavier/blurrier depth-of-field implementation, but these things aren't very noticeable and don't impact on the enjoyment of the game

While 1080p30 is the target, the PS4 release does the best job of sustaining that performance level. There are a few dropped frames, but virtually nothing impedes the flow of the gameplay. It's a different story on Xbox One, where we see the implementation of an adaptive v-sync - the game caps frame-rate at 30fps just like the PS4 version, but unlike the Sony platform, frame render time often slips over budget. At this point, the game flips the framebuffer as soon as the next image is ready, while the console scans out to the display, causing screen-tear.

On top of the crushed colour range, it's the tearing that's the key factor of differentiation between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game. It's a little annoying, manifesting mostly as a distracting wobble on-screen, making the experience less solid than the same title running on the Sony console.

#2 Edited by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

More additonal info:

"Performance analysis of the two games reveals a 1080p30 target for both, with PS4 implementing a full v-sync with no tearing, while Xbox One often struggles to hit the target - sometimes even on relatively simple scenes. Tearing is a distraction, but on balance, probably one of the less important issues in what is a deeply mediocre release overall."

"On top of the crushed colour range, it's the tearing that's the key factor of differentiation between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game. It's a little annoying, manifesting mostly as a distracting wobble on-screen, making the experience less solid than the same title running on the Sony console.

The end result is a technically underwhelming (albeit fairly fun) release that does the absolute bare minimum on PS4, but falls a bit short of even achieving that on Xbox One, which is somewhat surprising considering the minimalist visuals."

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#3 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

a win for ps4, some may argue the magnitude of the victory, however:

if doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile - William Shakespeare

#4 Posted by kipsta77 (1119 posts) -

I've preordered it on Steam. Comes out on the 7th of May here in Australia dangit.

Web of Shadows was the last Spidey game I enjoyed.

#5 Edited by NFJSupreme (6490 posts) -

so the xbone can't keep up on crappy minimalist cash grab multiplats? for shame.

#6 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

LOL, lems can't catch a break. TLHBO.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (57710 posts) -

Another fine example of PS4 being THE place for console mulit plats this gen.

#8 Edited by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

pretty obvious the ps4 is going to dominate multiplats this gen as much as the 360 did last gen.

probably even worse.

#10 Edited by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

Serious? Sounds like shit development, topped off with a shady release.

#11 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

I hope they game turns out good.

#12 Posted by NFJSupreme (6490 posts) -

@hummer700 said:

Honestly, if you watched the side by side video, you can't tell the difference. They both look underwhelming.

its the performance not the visuals. Visually they are pretty much the same. But performance wise the PS4 runs it better as it should seeing how it's the more powerful system.

#13 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

oh I agree, the game looks pretty bad. But...system wars is system wars. :P

#14 Edited by lunar1122 (779 posts) -

well it obviously isnt a looker.. Looks terrible but maybe the gameplay might hold up. Somehow i suspect it will not.. Probably 6's or 7's

#15 Posted by xhawk27 (9998 posts) -

At least it can do a racing game at 1080@60fps. Oh burn!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 Edited by Spitfire-Six (1377 posts) -

I believe this game was rushed, it does not sound like it was polished or even tested.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#17 Edited by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

I thought the release of an X1 version was in question just a couple of weeks ago?

#18 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Sony Foundry. Yawn.

#19 Edited by Heil68 (57710 posts) -

@Riverwolf007 said:

pretty obvious the ps4 is going to dominate multiplats this gen as much as the 360 did last gen.

probably even worse.

#20 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: Dat damage control

#21 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Its cool to laugh at an outdated/overpriced $500 box these days but what i want to know is how the fuk is an ugly game like this is only using the most standard of standard anti aliasing and is 30fps? what the hell

#22 Posted by Ghost120x (5229 posts) -
Loading Video...

I'll just leave this here....

Wii u one looks better imo.

#23 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

The most immediately noticeable difference between the two platforms is the gamma level - it seems to be excessively skewed on Xbox One, resulting in clear black crush, especially impactful in night-time scenes, where PS4 resolves detail in a much more agreeable manner. Other differences are thin on the ground - there are some examples of textures shunted across and warped where they shouldn't be on Xbox One, and we also see a heavier/blurrier depth-of-field implementation, but these things aren't very noticeable and don't impact on the enjoyment of the game

That reads like my perspective on Digital Foundry's Battlefield 4 consoles comparison.

#24 Edited by XboxStache (1530 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:
Loading Video...

It certainly does. I just never imagined it would look a lot better as seen in the video.

With that said, this game is oooooooooooogguhhhhhhhh-Lee...

#25 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

xbox one will just continue to lose the entire generation. get used to it lems.

#26 Edited by scatteh316 (7016 posts) -

That literally looks like a PS2 game in 1080p

#27 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Boy is this game really ugly.

#29 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Is the actual game any good though? I haven't bought a Spider Man game since one of the best games I've ever played - Spider Man 2. Also there's a massive drought and I haven't touched my next-gen systems so I'm itching for an excuse to buy a game and play.

I'd love for this to be somewhat similar to the Spider Man 2 game which I loved so much and finished at least 50 times when I was younger. I think I'll buy it anyway, hate on me ;)

#31 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

The PS4 version has better lighting.

#32 Edited by getyeryayasout (11452 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

Mostly agree, except d!ck measuring contest...or v@g for that matter.

#33 Posted by tdkmillsy (2556 posts) -

Would have been better at 900p on Xbox One frame rate/tearing would have been equal if not better than PS4.

I'm not interested in matching resolution at the expense of overall experience.

It is good they getting closer though.

#34 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@misterpmedia said:

That reads like my perspective on Digital Foundry's Battlefield 4 consoles comparison.

lol I remember the massive defence force against the crushed blacks back in 2013, they apparently "didn't exist!". Combine that with the horrid over sharpening scaler and ick. Quite amusing. "The dark blacks make the colours pop more" was one of the favourite rebuttals.

#35 Edited by R4gn4r0k (26941 posts) -

Hahaha, but really, where are the Xbone and PS4 versions ?

GTA 3 looks better than this game.

#36 Edited by R4gn4r0k (26941 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

Is it really a win if a game is that ugly ?

"Look at this game, it's slightly less ugly on PS4... just slightly"

#37 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (7923 posts) -

Problem with developer. That's why the X1 version was delayed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#38 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

Finally a game to pick up and put in the ps4 so I can see what xbox one exclusives look like.

#39 Edited by tormentos (26634 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Yeah and the only way the xbox one can do it,is by having last gen faked effects and card board box people...hahahaha

forza-crowds

What they promise vs what they deliver...hahahaha

#40 Posted by tormentos (26634 posts) -
@tdkmillsy said:

Would have been better at 900p on Xbox One frame rate/tearing would have been equal if not better than PS4.

You think that because of this game been 1080p the xbox one is getting closer.?

The game is garbage,hell i use better NFS as an example and claim the xbox one was close all alone since launch,both are 30 FPS and both are 1080p..

#41 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

Claiming ownage with a movie game?

Yikes.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#42 Edited by ShepardCommandr (4824 posts) -

In other news water is wet and x1 is weaker than ps4.

#43 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

When I seen the gameplay, I thought it was in alpha or beta stage... This game has got to be the worst looking game on next gen systems right now

#44 Edited by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

source

#45 Edited by tdkmillsy (2556 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

The game is garbage,hell i use better NFS as an example and claim the xbox one was close all alone since launch,both are 30 FPS and both are 1080p..

This and many other games coming up that don't have the 720p/1080p gap. The gap is getting closer and will be close enough (900p/1080p) for it to be same as last gen. Fanboys arguing single digit fps or resolution difference that you cant really tell on a TV.

#46 Edited by jonesy1911 (3483 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:
Loading Video...

Hopefully you're not serious, PS4 has better lighting is not a blurry mess like the Wii U (look at the city when spidey is on the gargoyle) PS4 buildings are much better looking (windows actually reflect the world around rather than a generic "light"). I could go on but I'm pretty sure my point is made.

#47 Posted by MonsieurX (36752 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Claiming ownage with a movie game?

Yikes.

Cows would claim ownage over anything

#48 Posted by Heil68 (57710 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

Does seem to be the case. Glad I have both consoles, so I have the option to play the best version.

#49 Edited by tormentos (26634 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

This and many other games coming up that don't have the 720p/1080p gap. The gap is getting closer and will be close enough (900p/1080p) for it to be same as last gen. Fanboys arguing single digit fps or resolution difference that you cant really tell on a TV.

But Need for speed never that that gap either..

It was 1080p 30FPS across both platforms..

You think 900p to 1080p is the same gap as last gen.?

Yes you can tell them on your TV unless you play your xbox one from 100 feet away..

#50 Edited by tdkmillsy (2556 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@xhawk27 said:

Yeah and the only way the xbox one can do it,is by having last gen faked effects and card board box people...hahahaha

What they promise vs what they deliver...hahahaha

Sony promised Driveclub last year and yet its still not here. They all lie

You take out the cardboard people and Forza is a damn fine looking game running at 60fps.

Its a big jump from 30fps to 60fps something has to give.