Digital Foundry- "Red Dead Redemption 2 - Best on X by considerable margin"

#1 Edited by sts106mat (24899 posts) -

This should be good:-

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

TLCBA :- X1X is native 4k and wins by considerable margin.

game scales per platform, base X1 is worst.

can't wait to play this on my X1X

#2 Edited by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Mighty X1X 4K BC MonsterBox...

It's good to be MasterRace. :P

EDIT: Where they all at?

I'll put out the call...

Lolololol

#3 Posted by phbz (4668 posts) -

I hope they patch up the Pro version. There's some stuff there that looks off.

#4 Edited by Juub1990 (8719 posts) -

Eurogamer: What is puzzling is the fact that we have been unable to get an accurate pixel-count on the PC platform and the frame rate appears to be non-existent.

Lol dat jab at PC.

#5 Posted by sts106mat (24899 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

Eurogamer: What is puzzling is the fact that we have been unable to get an accurate pixel-count on the PC platform and the frame rate appears to be non-existent.

Lol dat jab at PC.

probably copy and paste fail lol

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (39192 posts) -

"But the exclusive 1 month content of clothes and skins we get >>> performance and resolution"

#8 Edited by Antwan3K (4400 posts) -

“if you're looking for the very best RDR2 experience, Xbox One X is the go-to platform for this game.”

“Rockstar's stunning technological achievement runs at native 4K on the X, and also delivers the smoothest performance”

“At the top of the stack sits Xbox One X, rendering natively on ultra HD displays and looking magnificent”

“Taking the runner-up position here is PlayStation 4 Pro, which uses a reconstruction technique - likely checkerboarding - to take a native 1920x2160 framebuffer up to 4K.”

“While it can't be completely ruled out, we found no evidence at all of dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) on any of the console versions of the game - the pixel counts are locked”

“Take a look at the screenshot comparisons on this page, and the X advantage is undeniable.”

“the resolution scaling between Xbox One and X is unprecedented: the enhanced console is designed to quadruple the base machine's pixel-pushing output but instead, Red Dead Redemption 2 is delivering a 6.2x boost to resolution, with further improvements on top of that”

“Despite its immediately apparent resolution advantage over PS4 Pro and its massive boost to pixel count over Xbox One S, the X also has a tangible performance advantage over every other version of the game”

“Microsoft's enhanced machine delivers a nigh-on locked 30fps with only very minor dips in performance in the most detailed city areas”

“PlayStation 4 Pro is the next most stable platform, delivering entirely consistent performance in the wilderness but again, dropping frames in towns and cities. However, it's clearly not as stable as the X.”

“to see this phenomenal game at its absolute best, Xbox One X is the platform of choice - and by quite a considerable margin”

-Digital Foundry

Link: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

well, there you have it..

A graphically impressive, open-world title like Red Dead Redemption 2 is running at native 4K coupled with higher grade textures/effects and a better framerate performance over the base console.. this is the very definition of the "uncompromised 4K" that was mocked by doubters about a year ago.. Add to this the fact that it's basically commonplace and expected that new current-gen games are hitting 4K resolutions, whether natively or dynamically, on the Xbox One X and it's clear that this is indeed the "4K console" that it was touted as..

Its been about a year since the launch of the Xbox One X and I predicted that around this timeframe, we'll start to see what the developers can get out of the hardware.. Clearly, with a result like this from a game as demanding as Red Dead Redemption 2, the excuses can be put to rest.. This console has delivered..

my hats off to the developers for this technical masterpiece and I can't wait to dive in on my X..

#9 Edited by KBFloYd (21899 posts) -

cows won't be happy playing the shitty version of this game. :(

:)

#10 Posted by Juub1990 (8719 posts) -

@Antwan3K: Was anybody expexting anything else?

#11 Edited by Sagemode87 (1396 posts) -

@KBFloYd: it's better than the version like 95 percent of Lems are playing. One X is 500 bucks at a time where next gen consoles are reported to come out soon. MS had to price themselves out of the market just for bragging rights. Too little too late. I'd suggest Lems change their narrative really quick though if PS5 is more powerful than Scarlett. Funny how a supposed "sheep" is so worried about "shitty" versions of games though. Hmmm.

#12 Edited by Antwan3K (4400 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:

@Antwan3K: Was anybody expexting anything else?

not sure..

Did you expect Red Dead Redemption 2 to run at native 4K on Xbox One X with a basically locked 30fps?

#13 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

@Antwan3K:

Great post.

My goodness, can you feels the Salt from the usual MS/Xbox anti-fans?

It's real, baby!! Good stuff. lolol :P

#14 Posted by tdkmillsy (3135 posts) -

WOW

The best game of the year, running best on the X.

#15 Posted by DaVillain- (38062 posts) -

Good news for Xbox One X owners but bad news for regular Xbox One owners, these games aren't made to be played on the old consoles and perform noticeably worse on them.

@sts106mat said:

We all know RDR2 PC version already exist due to the leaks we saw, it's only a jab because it's not releasing along side with consoles.

#16 Edited by Antwan3K (4400 posts) -

@SecretPolice: yeah, some of these guys were trying to claim victory due to some games missing the mark around the launch window of the console and still try to cherrypick clear outliers like SCVI til this day as examples of the console not delivering.. But I knew that time will tell the full story.. and a year later, we have games like Forza Horizon 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 showing what the hardware is truly capable of.. sure, results will always vary from game to game and dev to dev.. but clearly, the hardware power is there..

#17 Posted by sts106mat (24899 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Good news for Xbox One X owners but bad news for regular Xbox One owners, these games aren't made to be played on the old consoles and perform noticeably worse on them.

@sts106mat said:

We all know RDR2 PC version already exist due to the leaks we saw, it's only a jab because it's not releasing along side with consoles.

they said that about RDR1......

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/06/red-dead-redemption-pc-remaster-rumour/

#18 Edited by watercrack445 (1832 posts) -

So, this is the best Xbox game Xbox fanboys get this whole generation? Yep, pretty sure.

And it's not even an exclusive

#19 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

Very nice to see it well optimized, they had ample time so I had little doubts

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#20 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5026 posts) -

I can tell Microsoft was banking on this one game to finally unload some X1Xs all year. That's why they were having the crazy deals. Anyway, good for them.

#21 Posted by sts106mat (24899 posts) -
@watercrack445 said:

So, this is the best Xbox game Xbox fanboys get this whole generation? Yep, pretty sure.

It will probably be called "game of the gen"

so technically its the best game anyone can play..... its just best on the X.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#22 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3432 posts) -

@Antwan3K said:

A graphically impressive, open-world title like Red Dead Redemption 2 is running at native 4K coupled with higher grade textures/effects and a better framerate performance over the base console.. this is the very definition of the "uncompromised 4K" that was mocked by doubters about a year ago.. Add to this the fact that it's basically commonplace and expected that new current-gen games are hitting 4K resolutions, whether natively or dynamically, on the Xbox One X and it's clear that this is indeed the "4K console" that it was touted as..

Its been about a year since the launch of the Xbox One X and I predicted that around this timeframe, we'll start to see what the developers can get out of the hardware.. Clearly, with a result like this from a game as demanding as Red Dead Redemption 2, the excuses can be put to rest.. This console has delivered..

my hats off to the developers for this technical masterpiece and I can't wait to dive in on my X..

A 10 month hiatus has ended ladies and gentlemen! The Lems just got one of their leaders back. I guess that's what we get when there are 2 native 4K games in a month on the Xbox One X. (well FH4 has compromises in resolution mode and DF calls the 60fps mode, "the real deal.")

But wait a minute here...

- You're moving the goal post by now including "dynamic" resolution in your post. Well over 90% of games on the X are below native 4K
- You can't call your console, "uncompromised 4K" when it only plays 1 game to date, in an "uncompromised" fashion. And the only reason we can call it "uncompromised" is because there is no PC version. We don't know what settings were dialed back, nothing runs it higher than 30fps etc.

Enjoy your buzzwords

#23 Posted by tdkmillsy (3135 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

Right this minute the same could be said about the PS4 according to the scores.

#24 Posted by KBFloYd (21899 posts) -

@Sagemode87 said:

@KBFloYd: it's better than the version like 95 percent of Lems are playing. One X is 500 bucks at a time where next gen consoles are reported to come out soon. MS had to price themselves out of the market just for bragging rights. Too little too late. I'd suggest Lems change their narrative really quick though if PS5 is more powerful than Scarlett. Funny how a supposed "sheep" is so worried about "shitty" versions of games though. Hmmm.

a sheep that hates cows. don't forget ;-)

#25 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

XBox, the only console ever made to be "saved" by a 9. Lulz

#26 Edited by Antwan3K (4400 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:
@Antwan3K said:

A 10 month hiatus has ended ladies and gentlemen! The Lems just got one of their leaders back. I guess that's what we get when there are 2 native 4K games in a month on the Xbox One X. (well FH4 has compromises in resolution mode and DF calls the 60fps mode, "the real deal.")

But wait a minute here...

- You're moving the goal post by now including "dynamic" resolution in your post. Well over 90% of games on the X are below native 4K

- You can't call your console, "uncompromised 4K" when it only plays 1 game to date, in an "uncompromised" fashion. And the only reason we can call it "uncompromised" is because there is no PC version. We don't know what settings were dialed back, nothing runs it higher than 30fps etc.

Enjoy your buzzwords

I haven't moved any goal posts.. the design philosophy of the console as stated by Microsoft (and echo'd by Digital Foundry) is that the Xbox One X will provide a 4x resolution boost over base hardware without requiring compromises to framerates and visual effects..

The vast majority of Xbox One S games run at 900p, whether natively or dynamically.. The vast majority of Xbox One X games run at 4K, whether natively or dynamically.. that is essentially a 4x resolution boost over base hardware and this is sometimes with higher grade graphical effects and better performance.. hence, there was "no compromise" to reach 4K resolutions.. ie, "uncompromised 4K"..

Red Dead Redemption 2 is simply a shining example of what the hardware is capable of.. a graphically intensive, open-world title that's running at native 4K resolution, an essentially locked framerate, and higher visual effects over the base console.. Once again, "uncompromised 4K".. call it a buzzword all you want, but the console has been delivering on that buzzword.. and yes, i'm enjoying it..

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#27 Posted by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

It's clear the X1X is coming into it's own now we are seeing games developed with it in mind as opposed to late in there development.

#28 Posted by kuu2 (11164 posts) -

Like I said when the game was announced there will be lots of gnashing of teeth.

Multiplats like this are going to crush Cows feelings.

Best on X "By a wide margin".

LOL...………….

#29 Posted by Imperator7 (78 posts) -

Its not all bad PS4/Ps4Pro or Xbox S users as per that article :):

"Curiously though, there isn't a dramatic improvement in general quality terms - on both base and enhanced systems, the art sits well within the intended resolution 'canvas' of each system. Despite the X console's big RAM advantage over its PlayStation equivalent, art quality seems to be the same."

Suffice to say, regardless of console choice (One x / ps4 / pro / x1x) people will have a great experience with this game.

#30 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

Lol, will this finally save the sales of Xbone lemmings?

Oh my how pathetic lems have become, bragging about marginal better graphics on a multiplat.

#31 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

Reading the report, this is not just another good looking game, it might be the best looking open world game ever on console and with effects we've never seen before.

#32 Posted by kuu2 (11164 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Laugh and point at this guy people. He was one of the haters.

LOL...………………...

#33 Posted by freedomfreak (51271 posts) -

XBOX ONE X

#34 Posted by Syn_Valence (1790 posts) -

Hahaha, lems still mad Microsoft abandoned them like homecoming dumbster babies.

#35 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

LOL...………………...

Done & done. lol :P

#36 Posted by Archangel3371 (28539 posts) -

Sounds like they really tapped into the power of the Xbox One X with this game.

#37 Edited by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-red-dead-redemption-2-face-off

TLCBA :- X1X wins by considerable margin.

#38 Posted by DocSanchez (5337 posts) -

Well done. Parrots the RDR experience where it was best on 360. If I had an XBX, I'd buy it on that.

#39 Posted by rrjim1 (1751 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:
@kuu2 said:

LOL...………………...

Done & done. lol :P

LOL.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#40 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29244 posts) -

Don't worry, PS4 fans moved the goal post from power to exclusives a year ago.

#41 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

WOW

@tdkmillsy said:

Normal service has resumed

900p vs 1080p is what I expected for every game with same FPS. Close enough for normal people to not give a monkeys.

If you where that bothered about resolution/fps of multiplats you would get a PC.

@knight-k said:

Oh my how pathetic lems have become, bragging about marginal better graphics on a multiplat.

Hahahaha i just destroyed several on the soul calibur thread. Hahahaa

After all the shit and downplaying of graphics differences all of the sudden resolution arguments are ok,no longer they have to get the PC version..hahahahaa

#42 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29244 posts) -

@knight-k said:

But PS4 owners spent the first four years of its life bragging about this very thing.

#43 Posted by sts106mat (24899 posts) -
@tormentos said:
@sts106mat said:

TLCBA :- X1X wins by considerable margin.

Its gonna be ace tormy.

#44 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@knight-k said:

But PS4 owners spent the first four years of its life bragging about this very thing.

When EVERY game runs better on a base PS4, it's a legit argument.

The One X is an enhanced console and most multiplats run just as good on PS4 pro or with marginal differences.

#45 Edited by tdkmillsy (3135 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

WOW

@tdkmillsy said:

Normal service has resumed

900p vs 1080p is what I expected for every game with same FPS. Close enough for normal people to not give a monkeys.

If you where that bothered about resolution/fps of multiplats you would get a PC.

@knight-k said:

Hahahaha i just destroyed several on the soul calibur thread. Hahahaa

After all the shit and downplaying of graphics differences all of the sudden resolution arguments are ok,no longer they have to get the PC version..hahahahaa

Just to keep it at your level

hahahahhahaha after all the posts by you claiming how superior the PS4 was graphically over the xbox one, all of the sudden resolution arguments are not ok/allowed/valid hahahahahhah

consider yourself destroyed because I said so

hahahahahhaha

No go look in your 100's of bookmarks you have on individuals in these forums and pluck something else out to try and make someone look bad. Its very entertaining if not a little creepy.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#46 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3432 posts) -

@Antwan3K said:

I haven't moved any goal posts.. the design philosophy of the console as stated by Microsoft (and echo'd by Digital Foundry) is that the Xbox One X will provide a 4x resolution boost over base hardware without requiring compromises to framerates and visual effects..

The vast majority of Xbox One S games run at 900p, whether natively or dynamically.. The vast majority of Xbox One X games run at 4K, whether natively or dynamically.. that is essentially a 4x resolution boost over base hardware and this is sometimes with higher grade graphical effects and better performance.. hence, there was "no compromise" to reach 4K resolutions.. ie, "uncompromised 4K"..

Red Dead Redemption 2 is simply a shining example of what the hardware is capable of.. a graphically intensive, open-world title that's running at native 4K resolution, an essentially locked framerate, and higher visual effects over the base console.. Once again, "uncompromised 4K".. call it a buzzword all you want, but the console has been delivering on that buzzword.. and yes, i'm enjoying it..

4K resolutions... Plural? Like, there are more than one?

3840x2160 is 4K. You, and Microsoft PR are trying to sell checkboard reconstruction and dynamic resolution as "True" "Uncompromised" 4K. Unfortunately, not all of you Lems are on the same page...

And you are moving the goal posts. The aim wasn't always compared to the base Xbox One. That b.s. just started when it was clear that you were using "uncompromised" incorrectly.

RDR2 is a HUGE win for the Xbox One X. Lets just celebrate the game. The more you talk the more you expose yourself...

#47 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29244 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@knight-k said:

The One X is an enhanced console and most multiplats run just as good on PS4 pro or with marginal differences.

Marginally better. It was just stupid system wars fodder.

A better argument was the price difference.

#48 Posted by tdkmillsy (3135 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@knight-k said:

But every game didn't run better on base PS4.

marginal differences - you seen the video even DF claim in this particular case the difference isn't marginal

#49 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

Its gonna be ace tormy.

Epic.lol

#50 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6494 posts) -

While that is superb... I'm just not going to go out and buy a X1X and RDR2 for £450 to play it at 30FPS.

I want the PC version so bad.