GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-how-nvidia-aims-to-address-pcs-hdr-problem

At the forefront of gaming technology pretty much since the year dot, the PC format has fallen behind in one key area: support for high dynamic range - the future of display technology. HDR screens for PC users are thin on the ground and often poorly specced, while the list of supported games stands at less than 50 per cent of the number found on consoles

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Oh this will go well. How many pages do you want to go on about it?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Makes me wonder what kind of HDR standards these developers use. What exact screen hardware are they using specifically (zones, wcg%, nits, ambient brightness, chroma, etc.) so that we can see the colors as how they exactly envisioned otherwise we could probably just mess with our own settings to our preference.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17763 Posts

HDR support on PC will catch up over time. It is not a must have feature where people feel like they are seriously missing out. Also, not worth sacrificing the other benefits that PC provides to play with HDR on console.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Idk... just looks like an ordinary filter me. Works for some games, others not so much.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Ok

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

And native 4K, 60fps support sucks on consoles. Why didn’t you make that thread?

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

I wake up every morning thinking "Damn I wish I had better contrast and colour accuracy than already decent IPS displays, I'm missing out on so much :( :( :(" /s.

"Buh buh VA and teh OLED have blacker blacks" ... yea because I have a magnifying glass up to my screen wishing my already black blacks were more black....

I'l stick to 120 FPS, GSync and Ultrawide as a priority thanks.

Half the games that consoles have in HDR?

That's ok... consoles have 1% of the PC games that can be played in 4k 60FPS or 1440p 120 FPS or 1080p 200 FPS.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

I still don't get HDR.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I still don't get HDR.

More natural picture, with less crushed blacks, brighter highlights (with more detail to be seen in both light and dark) and a wider color gamut. Not that hard to get.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

When HDR started it was less than 25% than consoles. Now it’s in the 50% range. Nowadays almost every game releases with HDR support. It’s simply that older games don’t get a patch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

@Epak_ said:
@freedomfreak said:

I still don't get HDR.

More natural picture, with less crushed blacks, brighter highlights (with more detail to be seen in both light and dark) and a wider color gamut. Not that hard to get.

Meh, I'll stick to 1440p/144hz since it's still looks fine to me. I really don't care for HDR anyways.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@GioVela2010: Nobody cares, nobody.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm curious, what percentage of console games truly support HDR? It can't be many at all...

Or for the sake of SW >medium graphical settings or >30fps?

Edit - assuming this list from Wikipedia is complete, here's the XBox Master Race list of 72 HDR compatible games

Aero
Agents of Mayhem
Anthem
AO Tennis
Ark: Survival Evolved
Ashen
Ashes Cricket
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Astroneer
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: WWII
Chess Ultra
Crackdown 3
Dead Rising 4
Deep Rock Galactic
Destiny 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Disneyland Adventures
F1 2017
Far Cry 5
FIFA 18
Final Fantasy XV
Fortnite
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Motorsport 7
Gears of War 4
GRIDD: Retroenhanced
Halo Wars 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hitman
Homefront: The Revolution
Injustice 2
L.A. Noire
Madden NFL 18
Mafia III
Mantis Burn Racing
Mass Effect: Andromeda
METAL GEAR SURVIVE
Metro Exodus
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Minecraft
Mirror's Edge
Monster Hunter: World
Morphite
NBA 2K17
NBA 2K18
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
Project Cars 2
Raiders of the Broken Planet
Railway Empire
ReCore: Definitive Edition
Resident Evil 7: biohazard
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rocket League
Rush: A Disney / Pixar Adventure
Sea of Thieves
Slime Rancher
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3
Star Wars: Battlefront II
State of Decay 2
STEEP
Strange Brigade
The Darwin Project
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Evil Within 2
The Last Night
The Surge
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Unruly Heroes
World of Tanks
Zoo Tycoon
Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 Hawkeye44
Member since 2017 • 237 Posts

Lmao, HDR is a monster game changer, there is nothing that beats Horizon/GOW on a 50 in+ OLED display. It looks breathtaking.

PC elitist are so salty and butthurt; look at the damage control here on how HDR isn't insinificant but then they claim some shit like higher resolution, AA matters.

HDR is the new big thing, all the tech buzz now is about HDR, from Photography to gaming. It's a game changer . I am glad Sony already integrated it in the Pro. Now they can improve and master it for the PS5.

I can't wait for HZD2, it will have avatar like visuals.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

HDR is a TV feature, not a gaming console one. You can only use it if your TV supports HDR regardless if a game has the code to take advantage of it or not.

Sub 30fps and medium settings is a greater disadvantage, than not having HDR.

Besides, /yawn get some new material.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Here we go again

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

LOL HDR, PC monitor will catch in no time

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Huh, guess the race ain't that master after all.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Epak_

@davillain- said:
@Epak_ said:
@freedomfreak said:

I still don't get HDR.

Meh, I'll stick to 1440p/144hz since it's still looks fine to me. I really don't care for HDR anyways.

Yeah it's not necessary, it's a nice feature though and soon all displays will support it as it becomes the standard.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Catch 22, devs are waiting for HDR monitors before adding the feature and monitoir makers are waiting till there are enough games/content to use the feature, it seems a bit stupid that there is a drought when you can already run this content on your PC with a more affordable TV.

It doesnt help that there are no real concrete standards in HDR yet, i think VESA need to jump on that if they haven't already

Gotta love salty console gamers here on SW desperate for any kind of win, they now have (a bit better support of) HDR to lord over you always a single solitary thing for them to latch onto, its like going back in time to the GDDR5 iz da best! days....lol so sad and desperate, why cant you just enjoy gaming on your systems without acting so insecure? lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

HDR is a TV feature, not a gaming console one. You can only use it if your TV supports HDR regardless if a game has the code to take advantage of it or not.

I haven't really look too deep into HDR, I assume it's not a big deal to PC Enthusiast much?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By naz99

@davillain- said:
@GarGx1 said:

I haven't really look too deep into HDR, I assume it's not a big deal to PC Enthusiast much?

Its for sure a great and important feature but I suspect that much like me they are not willing to give up GSYNC/Freesync or 144hz or ultrawide viewing to be able to use it as i suspect many others wouldn't, and the cost of monitors that support all these features combined are going to be an insane price, its popularity will pick up when monitor makers stop dragging their feet and more concrete standards are set.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1841 Posts

Complain about high costs of PC Gaming. Praise pairing 3000-dollar TVs with 400-dollar plastic boxes.

CONSOLE gamers you are noobs or trolling.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IvanGrozny

HRD is overrated. Overpriced TVs with a sweetFx mod built-in LOL Only noobs can fall for that. On PC i can reach the same effect with ShadderFX mods for free.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By naz99

@ivangrozny said:

HRD is overrated. Overpriced TVs with a sweetFx mod built-in LOL Only noobs can fall for that. On PC i can reach the same effect with ShadderFX mods for free.

Lol no, you can slightly approximate the effect with things like sweetFX or REshade, but to say you can get the SAME effect, just tells us that you have never seen proper HDR before and/or don't know what it does.

Cant really call others Noobs after a Noob comment like that, your'e just as bad as the delusional console fanboys here with that mentality.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IvanGrozny
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

Lol no, you can slightly approximate the effect with things like sweetFX or REshade, but to say you can get the SAME effect, just tells us that you have never seen proper HDR before and/or don't know what it does.

I will take reshade modders word over yours that say they can replicate HDR easily with Reshade 3. not slightly, but very much closely.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By naz99

@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

I will take reshade modders word over yours that say they can replicate HDR easily with Reshade 3. not slightly, but very much closely.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, /facepalm

Not even gonna waste my time, like i said, as bad as the delusional console fanboys.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IvanGrozny
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

Lol no, you can slightly approximate the effect with things like sweetFX or REshade, but to say you canMe delusi get the SAME effect, just tells us that you have never seen proper HDR before and/or don't know what it does.

Not even gonna waste my time, like a said, as bad as the delusional console fanboys.

Me delusional!? On PC, every SweetFx/ShaddeMod is made to fit every game on PC individually and comes in many flavors. And you fanboys claim HDR is the best filter in the universe lol Why should I take just one particular 3000-dollar filter over dozens free ones customly made to fit the game.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Epak_

@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

Not even gonna waste my time, like a said, as bad as the delusional console fanboys.

Yeah, there's no way a reshade can suddenly turn his 8 bit IPS SDR display into a HDR compatible display. HDR is not something a software can emulate, let's not even go there.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By naz99

@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

Lol no, you can slightly approximate the effect with things like sweetFX or REshade, but to say you canMe delusi get the SAME effect, just tells us that you have never seen proper HDR before and/or don't know what it does.

Me delusional!? On PC, every SweetFx/ShaddeMod is made to fit every game on PC individually and comes in many flavors. And you fanboys claim HDR is the best filter in the universe lol

Fanboy of what? i dont have HDR im a pc gamer with a 144hz Gsync monitor you tool.

You ignore reality and the things need for true HDR support that cannot be added by any amount of software to make a monitor display what it physically cant, that makes you the very definition of delusional.

You think modders trying to make a close approximation is even close to the same thing, news flash einstein your complete ignorance is not an answer.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IvanGrozny
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

Me delusional!? On PC, every SweetFx/ShaddeMod is made to fit every game on PC individually and comes in many flavors. And you fanboys claim HDR is the best filter in the universe lol

Fanboy of what? i dont have HDR im a pc gamer with a 144hz Gsync monitor you tool.

K, it's not like I can remember every online personality here lol

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Digital Foundry: It sucks that even tho we are famous on Youtube, we still cannot get laid.

What nerds...

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

How the hell does HDR even work with a 1000 series GTX. My GTX 780 could display my HDR movie beautifully on my non-HDR TV, but my 1070 makes it look really dull. Will it be colorful again if I connect it to an HDR TV? I'm also really disappointed by how choppy 4K movies (50+ MB/s) still are on the 1000 series.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By naz99

@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

You dont even need to you just need Read up a few posts in this very thread........ that's all it took, /Faepalm

Jesus, your one to ignore from now on

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IvanGrozny
@Epak_ said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

Yeah, there's no way a reshade can suddenly turn his 8 bit IPS SDR display into a HDR compatible display. HDR is not something a software can emulate, let's not even go there.

I saw shadder modders do magic. Technically wise it may not be the same. But artistically wise, they can looks so much better. And it's free lol.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By naz99

@henrythefifth said:

Digital Foundry: It sucks that even tho we are famous on Youtube, we still cannot get laid.

What nerds...

If those jokers had TRUE HDR they would have Poontang out the Wazzoo!

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts
@BassMan said:

HDR support on PC will catch up over time. It is not a must have feature where people feel like they are seriously missing out. Also, not worth sacrificing the other benefits that PC provides to play with HDR on console.

@goldenelementxl said:

And native 4K, 60fps support sucks on consoles. Why didn’t you make that thread?

@kali-b1rd said:
I'l stick to 120 FPS, GSync and Ultrawide as a priority thanks.
That's ok... consoles have 1% of the PC games that can be played in 4k 60FPS or 1440p 120 FPS or 1080p 200 FPS.
@naz99 said:

Catch 22, devs are waiting for HDR monitors before adding the feature and monitor makers are waiting till there are enough games/content to use the feature, it seems a bit stupid that there is a drought when you can already run this content on your PC with a more affordable TV.

It doesn't help that there are no real concrete standards in HDR yet, i think VESA need to jump on that if they haven't already

Gotta love salty console gamers here on SW desperate for any kind of win, they now have (a bit better support of) HDR to lord over you always a single solitary thing for them to latch onto, its like going back in time to the GDDR5 iz da best! days....lol so sad and desperate, why cant you just enjoy gaming on your systems without acting so insecure? lol.

@GarGx1 said:

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Hermits on suicide watch right now. Consoles have become the definitive experiences; DOLBY ATMOS, HDR, OLED

Meanwhile on PC they are crouched over a 14" crappy TN panel with grey blacks and washed out colours.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IvanGrozny
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

You dont even need to you just need Read up a few posts in this very thread........ that's all it took, /Faepalm

Yeah, sorry, i dont have that kind of commitment to SW to read all previous posts to get know everybody. And the fact you call me a PC fanboy tells me you don't know me either lol. I praised many console games here.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By naz99

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Hermits on suicide watch right now. Consoles have become the definitive experiences; DOLBY ATMOS, HDR, OLED

Meanwhile on PC they are crouched over a 14" crappy TN panel with grey blacks and washed out colours.

Do you ever wonder why you tools on this forum are never taken seriously and treated like leppers?

This is exactly why, it would be even more worrying if you're an actual adult *shudder*

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Bookmarking this thread to use it in the future when PC have full HDR support, the hermits will claim it's better than on consoles, act like it's the second coming and will use it to prove "PC superiority".

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Epak_

@ivangrozny said:
@Epak_ said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

I saw shadder modders do magic. Technically wise it may not be the same. But artistically wise, they can looks so much better. And it's free lol.

Can't argue with artistic value, might look better, or not, but I can say this: Reshade or whatever you use doesn't physically change one bit of your monitor when you apply it to a game. It doesn't enhance contrast, it doesn't bring you more nits, it doesn't up your bit count to 10 or more thus it doesn't enable support for wide colour gamut. No software can emulate proper HDR because physical changes have to be made to the display for it to work.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By naz99

@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

Yeah, sorry, i dont have that kind of commitment to SW to read all previous posts to get know everybody. And the fact you call me a PC fanboy tells me you don't know me either lol. I praised many console games here.

"......................................................................................................................................"?!*

So you actually post in threads blindly without understanding the topic or the line of conversation??????

AND WHERE DID I EVEN CALL YOU A PC FANBOY?????

You just get worse and worse, now you are actually making shit up i didnt even say, **** me you're a diamond class idiot even worse than i first imagined, how is holding a simple conversation totally beyond you?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Good OLEDs are really expensive. Stop being unrealistic. My 27 inch ISP monitor is great and my games perform better than yours, but I wanna get a 65 inch TV for my movies. I guess it will also be nice to play some of my games on it, but I don't really care that much.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IvanGrozny
@Epak_ said:
@ivangrozny said:
@Epak_ said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

Can't argue with artistic value, might look better, or not, but I can say this: Reshade or whatever you use doesn't physically change one bit of your monitor when you apply it to a game. It doesn't enhance contrast, it doesn't bring you more nits, it doesn't up your bit count to 10 or more thus it doesn't enable support for wide colour gamut. No software can emulate proper HDR because physical changes have to made to the display for it to work.

I know that, but as a color blind person, I need to test multiple filters before I choose one. Our world perception is subjective. There is no one definitive filter for everyone no matter if those can display more bits. COLORS don't exist outside our eye. Our brain creates colors.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

@recloud said:

Bookmarking this thread to use it in the future when PC have full HDR support, the hermits will claim it's better than on consoles, act like it's the second coming and will use it to prove "PC superiority".

Well... yea.

Because those "Hermits" will be playing 60-120 FPS 1440p-4k HDR .... with GSYNC/ASync.

That's the beauty of PC gaming, ultimetely you can have your cake and eat it too.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IvanGrozny
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:

"......................................................................................................................................"?!*

So you actually post in threads blindly without understanding the topic or the line of conversation??????

AND WHERE DID I EVEN CALL YOU A PC FANBOY

You just get worse and worse, now you are actually making shit up i didnt even say, **** me you're a diamond class idiot even worse than i first imagined, how is holding a simple conversation totally beyond you?

You called me "as bad as the delusional console fanboys", but anyway why you are overreacting like that. I am not interested in internet fights. Bye. Take yoga classes or something else. You have anger management issues.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By naz99

@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

You called me "as bad as the delusional console fanboys", but anyway why you are overreacting like that. I am not interested in internet fights. Bye.

Becasue you lie and make shit up and as you perfectly showed here, you publicly wallow in your own ignorance and even try to excuse it.

"as bad as the delusional console fanboys" You need to learn english and word structure and what all that means, im not interested in talking to you further either, it offends me to my very core to be around such stupidity.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 IvanGrozny
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:
@ivangrozny said:
@naz99 said:

You called me "as bad as the delusional console fanboys", but anyway why you are overreacting like that. I am not interested in internet fights. Bye.

You need to learn english and word structure and what all that means, im not interested in talking to you further either, it offends me to my vcore to be around such stupidity.

Sure, you are the smartest person on SWs here.