Digital Foundry hands on with actual PS4 - Some games sub 30fps

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#551 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

robotapple is hilarious!XD

lostrib

proof of that http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29416082/are-gamespot-mods-aware-of-something-called-quotthe-fanboy-curvequotĀ 

:lol:I haven't seen that thread until now.

NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#552 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
Not impressed. 60 fps at 1080p should be standard for most games at this point. Can multiplatform titles hit 60 fps at 1080p on PS4? If so, then there's no reason why exclusives can't either. If games like CoD and Forza could hit it this gen, what's the excuse that PS4 games can't?:?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#553 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123

proof of that http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29416082/are-gamespot-mods-aware-of-something-called-quotthe-fanboy-curvequotĀ 

:lol:I haven't seen that thread until now.

sometimes I enjoy perusing the moderation clarification board, just for a quick laugh

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#554 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]Conclusion We leave Sony's E3 booth undoubtedly impressed, awwww yeahhhhhh

LMFAO!!! *Negative statement* *Negative statement* *Negative statement* "We leave Sony's E3 booth undoubtedly impressed." "It beats the Xbone! They were impressed!"
CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Not impressed. 60 fps at 1080p should be standard for most games at this point. Can multiplatform titles hit 60 fps at 1080p on PS4? If so, then there's no reason why exclusives can't either. If games like CoD and Forza could hit it this gen, what's the excuse that PS4 games can't?:?NYrockinlegend

Ā 

They would have to lower graphics and features if they do like in COD and Froza

Ā Ā Google SearchĀ Ā Google TranslateĀ Ā WikipediaĀ Ā Search YouTubeĀ Ā Search AmazonĀ Ā ShareĀ Share:Google+FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditEmailĀ Ā 
HiraiKazuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556 HiraiKazuo
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

lostrib

:lol: what a wimp!
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#557 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts

[QUOTE="NYrockinlegend"]Not impressed. 60 fps at 1080p should be standard for most games at this point. Can multiplatform titles hit 60 fps at 1080p on PS4? If so, then there's no reason why exclusives can't either. If games like CoD and Forza could hit it this gen, what's the excuse that PS4 games can't?:?CroidX

Ā 

They would have to lower graphics and features if they do like in COD and Froza

Ā Ā Google SearchĀ Ā Google TranslateĀ Ā WikipediaĀ Ā Search YouTubeĀ Ā Search AmazonĀ Ā ShareĀ Share:Google+FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditEmailĀ Ā 

I do understand that Forza 5 and Killer Instinct may not exactly be selling on graphics, but why's it too much to expect a console game to pull off good performance and good graphics? Why can't manufacturers try to optimize both? They hardly feel next gen to me if it's just a slight boost in graphics or performance...
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]No matter what, just make it 60FPS please. Ben-Buja

Many devs will still target 30 fps, it's a trend already. If you really care that much about fps you should play on PC where you can play everything in 60+ fps.

And I already do. What's wrong with wanting some 60FPS console games?
Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

lostrib

Good laugh haha. bitter manko.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]No matter what, just make it 60FPS please. rjdofu

Many devs will still target 30 fps, it's a trend already. If you really care that much about fps you should play on PC where you can play everything in 60+ fps.

And I already do. What's wrong with wanting some 60FPS console games?

He never said anything about 60FPS being wrong on consoles. And it's true that you'll still see the majority of console games being targeted at 30FPS. Every single generation, the resolution increases, the frame rates don't.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="NYrockinlegend"]Not impressed. 60 fps at 1080p should be standard for most games at this point. Can multiplatform titles hit 60 fps at 1080p on PS4? If so, then there's no reason why exclusives can't either. If games like CoD and Forza could hit it this gen, what's the excuse that PS4 games can't?:?

Sony ports CELL's Spurs middleware or PS3 legacy codebase to foreign AMD GCN.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="greensand24"]

[QUOTE="Esfan13"]I am a software developer. After reading the PS4 specs, I kind of expected this. Sony screwed up last gen with the cell processor and they screwed up this gen by going with a GDDR5 only system. I knew they would have latency problems with the CPU by using this type of memory.I've been laughing seeing all the GDDR5 hype on here. The XBox One is a more balanced, better designed system that will deliver consistent performance. The supposed PS4 performance advantage is paper only.The PS4 developers are going to have to deal with lots of weird timing issues.Higher bandwidth is great for a GPU, but worthless when the higher latency of the GDDR5 makes the CPU constantly have to wait for the memory to return the data it needs and then taking longer to update that memory. Games are not only graphics. You have to have the CPU running the game code to decide what graphics need to be shown. If the CPU is memory starved because of the higher latency, you will get framerate problems.ManatuBeard

I know I'm asking a lot but can we get a Level-headed poster comment on this. Ever since the set up was announced inside the ps4 this has actually been a concern for me as well.

If this post holds any weight then its definitely a silent but potentially big weakness in the ps4 internal architecture.

*sigh* this again...

GDDR5 chips have the same latency has DDR3 chips. The latency of the memory controllers are different (in a PC environment).

PS4 uses custom memory controllers to solve this issue.

People get confused because they always assume PCs scenarios for comparisons, but a console being a closed circuit made of semi-custom/custom components has certain advantages.

Developers will have more trouble optimizing between DDR3 and eSRAM on the X1 than using a single unified memory bank in the PS4.

If latency was a real issue for memory PCs would still be using DDR2...

Intel CPUs can hide memory latencies better than AMD CPUs i.e. better prefetch and cache structures.

Do you have evidence that shows PS4 has custom memory controller?

AMD GCN has L2 cache linked to memory controllers.

Latencies usually leads to the loss of effective memory bandwidth

AMD Radeon HD 5870 has theoretical 153 GB/s with a 108 GB/s practical i.e. 70.5 percent efficient.

gpu-zero-all.png

If we apply 70.5 percent efficiency on 176 GB/s, it would yield 124 GB/s.

GDDR5 could waste more clock cycles on latencies but it's high effective clock speed overcomes these issues i.e. GDDR5 is still faster than DDR3. The time taken to start the transaction is more important than clock cycles.