Digital Foundry Apex Legends Switch "SOUP-LIKE TEXTURES" Edition. (beautiful pics heavy)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38726 Posts

SOUP-LIKE TEXTURES

This is the ugliest game i have seen in years. You look at some OG games such as Escape From Butcher Bay or Chaos Theory, and these games have higher resolution textures than this, and they came out almost 20 years ago 🤣🤦‍♂️

- Docked Mode is between 720p and 600p. You want your 720p? Look at the sky and you'll get your 720p. 🤣

- Portable Mode is between 576p and 540p. Welcome to year one of youtube video quality from 2005.

- At long ranges, the Switch visuals "turn to mush". 🤣

- They had to remove shell casings flying off of the weapon because it was too demanding for the Switch LOL.

- When Skydiving, the game runs between 20fps and 30fps. When walking around and nothing is happening, its in a locked 30fps. In combat your fps ranges from 20fps to 30fps. 24-25fps being the standard during a fight against other players🤦‍♂️This is the performance on offer in 2021.🤦‍♂️

- Because the frame rate drops to low 20's each time there's even one enemy on the screen, you can do a 360* turn to detect hidden enemies! Exclusive feature available on a Nintendo Switch only.🙃

- Disable crossplay unless you want to be the "first blood" in every match.

- The Nintendo Switch compromises everything for portability, portability you can't even experience because of shit latency you're guaranteed to have. #WorthIt

Please don't complain to me that i gave you eye herpes from the pictures below (full screen them by clicking on the picture for maximum eye damaging content)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

You better off streaming the game. 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Soup is healthy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pedro

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Soup is healthy.

It depends. Some soup has arsenic. Forensic Files Season 9 .😮

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

Looks like PSVR resolution on an OG PS4.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Looks almost as bad as Halo Infinite.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

perfect for the switch

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Man, I wouldn't care much about graphics in these types of games as long as it hits 60+ fps, but 20 fps? Sheesh.

Why would anyone torture themselves playing this, especially on portable mode?

Hell, a 750 Ti can play this at 60 FPS constantly at 1080p.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Lol, damn...my eyes!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I remember how well optimized Titanfall 1&2 were on PC. Damn... this game has come a long way.

Still beats playing Battle Royale games on a phone, am I right?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

It's fun.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic said:

It's fun.

Fun plus 20fps don't match together.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

These textures remind me of wall guy from perfect dark zero lol.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Lack of grass is actually advantageous if you play competitively lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@sakaixx said:

It is, but then you take into account everything else, and the advantage you gain is out of the window.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

So I have a few things.

1 - Competitive players on PC turn their settings down to get the best performance AND to gain visual advantages. Texture and shadow quality are good for screenshots, but mean very little when actually trying to win. This isn’t going to be DF’s forte. They can count pixels. But those dudes aren’t actually good at playing games. Their videos are proof of that.

2 - The performance is bad. I can’t deny that.

But...

3 - I’m at nearly a 50% win rate on Switch. And almost a 90% top 3 rate. That’s with crossplay enabled. On WiFi...

Let’s not exaggerate the “advantage” other players will have over Switch users. Because it’s not there. Other Switch players here will back that up. The tick rate in Apex is such that it evens the playing field.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Let’s not exaggerate the “advantage” other players will have over Switch users. Because it’s not there. Other Switch players here will back that up. The tick rate in Apex is such that it evens the playing field.

This is gonna depend on the elo you're playing at. I doubt any Switch users are gonna reach Diamond, let alone, Predator rank with crossplay enabled.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

@goldenelementxl: You do turn most settings down, but not all. You might turn off shadows for the game to look washedout and easier to find players hiding in dark corners, but there's no need to lower the likes of textures, af, aa, etc. On the Switch, not only is everything on the lowest (most likely much lower than the lowest settings on pc), but the resolution is just destroying the clarity, and if you can't see shit, its an insta failure no matter what the other settings are.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sakaiXx

@goldenelementxl said:

So I have a few things.

1 - Competitive players on PC turn their settings down to get the best performance AND to gain visual advantages. Texture and shadow quality are good for screenshots, but mean very little when actually trying to win. This isn’t going to be DF’s forte. They can count pixels. But those dudes aren’t actually good at playing games. Their videos are proof of that.

But...

3 - I’m at nearly a 50% win rate on Switch. And almost a 90% top 3 rate. That’s with crossplay enabled. On WiFi...

sure... but pros dont play sub 30fps either.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

It has crossplay? Why? 🤣

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It has crossplay? Why? 🤣

The real question is, there's a Switch version why?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@hardwenzen: So which is better: Mortal Shell or Apex on Switch?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

@i_p_daily said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It has crossplay? Why? 🤣

The real question is, there's a Switch version why?

I've heard the game is massive in Japan, and because they play on nothing else but portable systems, it was a nobrainder. Now just imagine someone spending $20 on a skin with the weapon/character textures being set to Ultra Omega Low, all in mush-like resolution🤦‍♂️

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic

@goldenelementxl said:

So I have a few things.

But...

Agree with you. Journalists are jumping on this because there isn't anything else going on at the moment lol. If people actually played the game, they would see it's nowhere near broken as these journalists claim. Like you said, I won a game on my first day playing the game. I find it easier with the controller than with PC. At the end of the day, it's free to play. There really is no risk here lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic: The game runs in the 20fps range. I don't know how you can even say "its fine". That's like closing your eyes on all the mess in CP2077 on ps4/xbone and say that its fine.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

This is why the switch pro is needed.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

Can’t believe some are so far up Nintendo’s arse that they are claiming this is except-able in 2021!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

@SolidGame_basic: The game runs in the 20fps range. I don't know how you can even say "its fine". That's like closing your eyes on all the mess in CP2077 on ps4/xbone and say that its fine.

Why don't you just try the game for yourself? I don't need a gaming journalist to tell me whether I should play it or not. Now would I pay $60 for it? Hell no. $40? Nope. How about $20? Even that is a stretch. But free? Sure!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Why don't you just try the game for yourself? I don't need a gaming journalist to tell me whether I should play it or not. Now would I pay $60 for it? Hell no. $40? Nope. How about $20? Even that is a stretch. But free? Sure!

Dude, its performance we're talking about, not gameplay. If reviewers were pooping on its gameplay, you could tell others to try the game still, since you might like what reviewers didn't. When the game runs at 20fps, it doesn't matter who plays it, its unplayable. 30fps is bad, but my brain can adjust, especially if there's no other options (tlou2 as a good example). Games that drop to 27-28fps are a mess. Games that run at 24fps every time you see anything happening on the screen, and going down to 20fps is not a game that should've been even released. 20fps is broken. 25fps at all times while fighting other players is broken. This game shouldn't have been made.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

This clearly shows that some gamers only care about graphics and performance when it fits their agenda.😎

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

@Pedro: Indeed. If this were a Digital Foundry video comparing minuscule differences between a game on Xbox Series X and PS5 I’m sure some people would be singing about how their system of choice squeaked out over the other.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Dude, its performance we're talking about, not gameplay. If reviewers were pooping on its gameplay, you could tell others to try the game still, since you might like what reviewers didn't. When the game runs at 20fps, it doesn't matter who plays it, its unplayable. 30fps is bad, but my brain can adjust, especially if there's no other options (tlou2 as a good example). Games that drop to 27-28fps are a mess. Games that run at 24fps every time you see anything happening on the screen, and going down to 20fps is not a game that should've been even released. 20fps is broken. 25fps at all times while fighting other players is broken. This game shouldn't have been made.

Not sure what we're debating about here. I'm not saying that the performance is up to par with other versions, but I wouldn't say it's unplayable. I've played the game and its enjoyable for what it is. It's a free to play battle royale game. I was the kill leader in one game today. It's playable. Whether or not you want to try it for yourself is up to you. Again, there's no risk in trying. The difference here is I've played the game and you haven't.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Not sure what we're debating about here. I'm not saying that the performance is up to par with other versions, but I wouldn't say it's unplayable. I've played the game and its enjoyable for what it is. It's a free to play battle royale game. I was the kill leader in one game today. It's playable. Whether or not you want to try it for yourself is up to you. Again, there's no risk in trying. The difference here is I've played the game and you haven't.

Comparing it to the 60fps versions while running in a stable 30fps is not being up to par. 20fps is literally broken. Up to par and completely broken are two different things.

Do you want me to play the game and tell you that 20fps is broken, the same thing i've been saying before trying the version that shouldn't have been made? And even if i were to try the Switch version, you would tell me that "it looks good enough for me". There no winning here lol you've already made your mind.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Often, the most competitive gamers in these type of games will play on the lowest settings. Less grass or foliage to obstruct their view of other players, less shadows to darken them, highest frame rates possible for smoothness. Most games prefer a game that is fun than one that is pretty, and generally speaking people are going to have more fun when they are winning.

The downside to the Switch though is they lose all that stuff and are still locked at just 30fps. If I ran those settings on PC, I'd easily get over the 165fps my monitor can handle.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@eoten said:
@sakaixx said:

Often, the most competitive gamers in these type of games will play on the lowest settings. Less grass or foliage to obstruct their view of other players, less shadows to darken them, highest frame rates possible for smoothness. Most games prefer a game that is fun than one that is pretty, and generally speaking people are going to have more fun when they are winning.

The downside to the Switch though is they lose all that stuff and are still locked at just 30fps. If I ran those settings on PC, I'd easily get over the 165fps my monitor can handle.

Its worse than just being locked to 30fps. It runs from 20-25fps at all times while fighting other players. That's not something that should've been released in this condition. We're talking about CP1977 levels of broken, which is even more apparent when you're playing a competitive multiplayer game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@eoten said:

Why are competitive gamers even part of this dialogue? They are the absolute minority in the gaming space and general gamers are not adjusting their settings to the lowest when playing games.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I was afraid of that. Some games are just too much to run on the Switch. I mean, it 'works', but that doesn't mean anyone should play it that way. Definitely a version worth skipping.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sakaiXx

@hardwenzen said:
@eoten said:
@sakaixx said:

Its worse than just being locked to 30fps. It runs from 20-25fps at all times while fighting other players. That's not something that should've been released in this condition. We're talking about CP1977 levels of broken, which is even more apparent when you're playing a competitive multiplayer game.

For crossplay type of games there is some settings u just cannot change like grass. No option for these on PC to make sure all platform is on playing field... except switch pf course.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@joebones5000 said:

Stop expecting ps4 level graphics on a switch.

Did you look at those pics? This is rivaling the original Xbox graphics, not the 360 nor the ps4 🤣

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

@hardwenzen: The game has more going on than games of the 360/PS3 era could handle, of course visuals will be sacrificed to lessen load on CPU.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@Willy105 said:

@hardwenzen: The game has more going on than games of the 360/PS3 era could handle, of course visuals will be sacrificed to lessen load on CPU.

Sure, but we did have MAG on the ps3. Then you look at the likes of BF:BC2, and it might only have 24 players, but the visuals are so much ahead, had full destruction, native 720p (from what i remember) and 30fps stable. And that game is like 10 years old.

On a side note, i have never seen a single game where they've removed shell casings flying off of a weapon just to release the game on a certain platform. You know you're going too far when we've reached that point.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LuxuryHeart  Online
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts

This is why you don't buy third party games like this on the Switch if you're competitive. I like to compete, which is why I'm investing in a PC for my third party games and dumping my PS4. I'll probably play the PS5 for exclusives because my brother is likely going to get it, but my third party competitive games will be for PC and most of my 3rd party games on the Switch will be smaller indie and AA games that I enjoy on the go.

At this point the Switch is mostly for the exclusives and indies on the go. If you're buying it for other reasons, then you're an extremely casual gamer that just wants a few games on f2p 3rd party multiplats such as Fortnite and Apex. I love the Switch and Fortnite, but I'll be damned if I play Fortnite on the Switch. That's just not my nature. lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

My Switch is for exclusive usage only and anyone who buys 3rd-party games on it and it turns out shit is in for a big surprise🤣😂 Its a good thing I play all 3rd-party games on my gaming PC for the best performence👍