Did X Box start the whole console wars?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mdk12345
#1 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

I could be wrong but I don't remember console wars in the past. Did SNES and Sega fanboys battle it out with each other? Did PS1 and N64 fans battle it out? It seems to me like between Sony, Microsoft, Sega, and Nintendo, Microsoft is what started the hate. Now I could be wrong here, I don't know. But seems like ever since XBox 360 came out, it's just Sony vs Microsoft all day. Is it because people hate the Microsoft practices and stuff they try to pull on people? Or is because they think Microsoft tried to become or copy the Playstation? Alot of the 3rd party games were on PS before X Box. PS came first and that makes me think that's the reason why people stick to it. They feel like X Box is trying to steal the game. Because I don't remember other consoles getting the same hate X Box does.

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

This thing was started by gamers......

Why is it yall never want to take responsibilty for the crap fest this industry has become.... Gamer's love pointing fingers.

Avatar image for TheBoss00
#3 Edited by TheBoss00 (25 posts) -

oh you should have been here for the Sega Dreamcast/PS1 system wars. It was havoc

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33742 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

I could be wrong but I don't remember console wars in the past. Did SNES and Sega fanboys battle it out with each other? Did PS1 and N64 fans battle it out? It seems to me like between Sony, Microsoft, Sega, and Nintendo, Microsoft is what started the hate. Now I could be wrong here, I don't know. But seems like ever since XBox 360 came out, it's just Sony vs Microsoft all day. Is it because people hate the Microsoft practices and stuff they try to pull on people? Or is because they think Microsoft tried to become or copy the Playstation? Alot of the 3rd party games were on PS before X Box. PS came first and that makes me think that's the reason why people stick to it. They feel like X Box is trying to steal the game. Because I don't remember other consoles getting the same hate X Box does.

Uh... yes. :|

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#5 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35544 posts) -

Console wars have been a thing ever since the genesis was made. hell, maybe there were even arguments over stuff like Intellivison's, activision's systems, and any of the other billion "vision" systems, though I wasn't alive during that time and have never heard of such things happening so eh.

Avatar image for arredondo
#6 Posted by arredondo (685 posts) -

Young whippersnappers today, sigh....

Avatar image for aroxx_ab
#7 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

Started with Sega and Nintendo but back in the days we didnt have Internet.

Avatar image for ConanTheStoner
#9 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17303 posts) -

Console wars have been a thing as long as there have been competing consoles. SNES vs. Genesis was when it became crazy though and it hasn't slown down since.

Avatar image for AzatiS
#10 Posted by AzatiS (13995 posts) -

@mdk12345: Are you new in gaming or what ?

The console war as we know it started with Genesis vs SNES ...

Avatar image for handssss
#11 Edited by handssss (1907 posts) -

competition was even crazier.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for sailor232
#12 Posted by sailor232 (6763 posts) -

Then I also remember having the Amiga vs IBM wars.

Avatar image for mdk12345
#13 Posted by MDK12345 (2528 posts) -

Really? I only noticed console wars recently. I thought that SNES fan boys and Sega fan boys respected each other and wanted each others systems! I have both a SNES and Sega and have no issue with either.

Avatar image for D4RKL1NG
#14 Edited by D4RKL1NG (278 posts) -

Mostly by gamers. This pic was just taken today,they look like BFF's in this pic:

Avatar image for Sweenix
#15 Posted by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

@D4RKL1NG said:

Mostly by gamers. This pic was just taken today,they look like BFF's in this pic:

I'm the guy in the backgroud buying the coffee

Avatar image for _Matt_
#16 Posted by _Matt_ (10438 posts) -

As others have said, console and fanboy wars have gone on for far far longer that then XBox has been around.

Avatar image for thehig1
#18 Edited by thehig1 (6212 posts) -

Yeah there's been console wars for as as long as there's been consoles.

Internet is were most the console war is had now.

Back in the day it was the school playground you'd argue over the snes vs genesis.

Even the commercials back in the day were actually attacking the opposing consoles. ..remember Sega does what nintendont, and atari jagaur do the math commercials.

Avatar image for WilliamRLBaker
#19 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28915 posts) -

lol there have been fanboys since the nintendo/sega days.

Avatar image for sukraj
#20 Posted by sukraj (27302 posts) -

@D4RKL1NG said:

Mostly by gamers. This pic was just taken today,they look like BFF's in this pic:

ha ha nice pic.

Avatar image for D4RKL1NG
#21 Posted by D4RKL1NG (278 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@D4RKL1NG said:

Mostly by gamers. This pic was just taken today,they look like BFF's in this pic:

ha ha nice pic.

Ol' Phil would make a fantastic Nathan Drake methinks

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#22 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (22645 posts) -

The Sega and Nintendo rivalry was quite huge for a long time. No MS or Sony yet.

Then there was another separate plane which was computer gaming. Back then, the early favorite was the Commodore Amiga. The Commodore Amiga zealots loved to kick dirt at everyone (Apple, IBM, Atari) else. When the Motorola trio weren't at each other's throat, they were ragging on the IBM compatibles.

The Internet as we know it wasn't visible yet. But, there were plenty of BBS sites if you have one of the services: Genie and Compuserve. Hell. There was already modem to modem play between players across town.

Air Warrior was the first online (for pay) gaming service I know of and it first popped up back in 1988:

Avatar image for lamprey263
#23 Edited by lamprey263 (34508 posts) -

I remember as a kid us arguing over which was better between Nintendo and Sega

hell, even a while back someone posted a nice letter to a gaming magazine from the late 80s of Sega fanboys ripping on the GameBoy saying that the GameGear was going to be better

if you don't think warring fanboys have been around long that's only telling of you being young

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#24 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

This thing was started by gamers......

Why is it yall never want to take responsibilty for the crap fest this industry has become.... Gamer's love pointing fingers.

Major Nelson tweet about the PS4 reveal: "A reveal with no hardware to show...that's one way to do it." He is such a smug bastard when Xbox looks to be on top. Now he wants to be friends now that Sony is kicking their asses. Same with the rest of the Xbox execs except for Phil Spencer and he probably only respects Sony because the used work for PlayStation.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#25 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (22645 posts) -
@mdk12345 said:

Really? I only noticed console wars recently. I thought that SNES fan boys and Sega fan boys respected each other and wanted each others systems! I have both a SNES and Sega and have no issue with either.

Of course they respected each other. A lot of the early rivalries were face to face in person unlike the sniveling cowards nowadays who hide behind Internet anonymity.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#26 Edited by freedomfreak (49894 posts) -
@D4RKL1NG said:

Mostly by gamers. This pic was just taken today,they look like BFF's in this pic:

It's like they're silently trash talking each other.

Phil: Jumped ship before Sony went down, uh, Jackie?

Jack: **** you, and your hair, Phil.

Avatar image for D4RKL1NG
#27 Posted by D4RKL1NG (278 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@D4RKL1NG said:

Mostly by gamers. This pic was just taken today,they look like BFF's in this pic:

It's like they're silently trash talking each other.

Phil: Jumped ship before Sony went down, uh, Jackie?

Jack: **** you, and your hair, Phil.

Ahaha! Made me chuckle thanks

Avatar image for Lulu_Lulu
#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.....

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#29 Posted by MirkoS77 (12678 posts) -

Mode 7 vs. Blast Processing.

Yea, this thread makes me feel old.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#30 Edited by LJS9502_basic (162189 posts) -

Man this has been happening since consoles were invented. Where have you been? Damn you guys want to credit MS with everything. smh

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#31 Edited by SecretPolice (31980 posts) -

What is you, some kinda nub? :P

Anyway, this stuff goes all the way back to Intelivision > Atari..... Colecovision > Intelivision etc.

Avatar image for wolverine4262
#32 Posted by wolverine4262 (20831 posts) -

@mdk12345:

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
#33 Edited by littlestreakier (2950 posts) -

@aroxx_ab: this, it's just easier to flame people now.

Hm, looks like you can't quote from a phone... The reply was to OP and I agree with you

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#34 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

i guess u must have missed this

Loading Video...

Avatar image for tormentos
#35 Posted by tormentos (26637 posts) -

Loading Video...

No kid you just weren't there.. Is very old it has existed pretty much after the atari competition arrived in the 70's.

Avatar image for b4x
#36 Edited by B4X (5660 posts) -

No Sony troll fanboys did.

Avatar image for naz99
#37 Edited by naz99 (2808 posts) -

In the UK in the 80's it was the Commodore 64 vs the Spectrum

Then though it was not on the internet it was face to face at school,Good times :P

Commodore FTW!

Avatar image for Telekill
#38 Posted by Telekill (7391 posts) -

System wars has been around since at least the Genesis/SNES days. it's escalated quickly over the generations though thanks in large part to the internet and giving people a voice coupled with anonymity that probably shouldn't have one. Yes, I said it. I think most of you shouldn't have internet access for forums.

Avatar image for b4x
#39 Edited by B4X (5660 posts) -

@Telekill: Censorship FTW. /amiright?

Avatar image for amazonangry
#40 Edited by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

I remember console wars during the Atari 2600 years. Internet has just made it more volatile.

Avatar image for santoron
#41 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

The first time I became aware of a console war was Genesis vs SNES. I'm sure there were some people fighting earlier, but it went big time there.

Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Avatar image for always_explicit
#42 Posted by always_explicit (3379 posts) -

Its always existed. Its always been pretty stupid also.

Avatar image for aroxx_ab
#43 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i guess u must have missed this

Loading Video...

LOL, yes i never seen that one before:P

Avatar image for TigerSuperman
#44 Posted by TigerSuperman (4331 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@mdk12345 said:

I could be wrong but I don't remember console wars in the past. Did SNES and Sega fanboys battle it out with each other? Did PS1 and N64 fans battle it out? It seems to me like between Sony, Microsoft, Sega, and Nintendo, Microsoft is what started the hate. Now I could be wrong here, I don't know. But seems like ever since XBox 360 came out, it's just Sony vs Microsoft all day. Is it because people hate the Microsoft practices and stuff they try to pull on people? Or is because they think Microsoft tried to become or copy the Playstation? Alot of the 3rd party games were on PS before X Box. PS came first and that makes me think that's the reason why people stick to it. They feel like X Box is trying to steal the game. Because I don't remember other consoles getting the same hate X Box does.

Uh... yes. :|

Not in the way Sony and MS have since the first Xbox. Xbox and Sony fight more like Atari and Coleco. All we need are people attacking eachother in the news.

Avatar image for cainetao11
#45 Posted by cainetao11 (32736 posts) -

@mdk12345:

When were you born?

Avatar image for cainetao11
#46 Posted by cainetao11 (32736 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Started with Sega and Nintendo but back in the days we didnt have Internet.

Atari, Colecovision and Intellivision were at war before Sega and Nintendo came in.

Avatar image for TigerSuperman
#47 Posted by TigerSuperman (4331 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Started with Sega and Nintendo but back in the days we didnt have Internet.

Atari, Colecovision and Intellivision were at war before Sega and Nintendo came in.

Mostly Atari and Coleco though. Also not a good comparison because Nintendo and Sega fanboys were not on the news beating the crap out of people, and cities/states/distericts were not straight out banning video games for indefinite times in droves.

Avatar image for cainetao11
#48 Posted by cainetao11 (32736 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

This thing was started by gamers......

Why is it yall never want to take responsibilty for the crap fest this industry has become.... Gamer's love pointing fingers.

Major Nelson tweet about the PS4 reveal: "A reveal with no hardware to show...that's one way to do it." He is such a smug bastard when Xbox looks to be on top. Now he wants to be friends now that Sony is kicking their asses. Same with the rest of the Xbox execs except for Phil Spencer and he probably only respects Sony because the used work for PlayStation.

I know right? Sony has never been smug. Like that time they said the 360 was Xbox 1.5, because you know we would get 2 jobs to buy the PS3

Avatar image for b4x
#49 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

@AdobeArtist you lock our good thread and keep this 175 post guys garbage thread open. :(

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#50 Posted by AdobeArtist (24714 posts) -

@b4x said:

@AdobeArtist you lock our good thread and keep this 175 post guys garbage thread open. :(

Duuuuuude, cut me some slack. I don't see all threads all at once :rolls eyes:

And yeah, to address TC; users must have a min 500 posts before they can create new threads in System Wars.