Did Nintendo really screw up with the WiiU?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

What was once:

n64-kid.jpeg

What is today:

Wiiu-update.jpg

large.jpg

Isn't there something wrong on those last two pictures? :D

Discuss... :P

#2 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17052 posts) -

Named54321

Checkmate.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
#3 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -
A level 45....You should try to do better.
#4 Posted by lamprey263 (34383 posts) -
Yes and no, maybe they could have gotten away with a weaker console, a console without digital rights accounts, a console with a crap HDD, no third party support, no headset for online communication, they probably could have gotten away with all that had they had a few worthy launch titles like a Metroid and Zelda game, and this being their biggest mistake they should probably be letting people know of their incoming first party games but instead I keep hearing about what's coming to the 3DS, I'd say they're handling their worst aspect of the Wii U (the 1st party games) pretty badly.
#5 Posted by soapman72 (2714 posts) -

No we need more games thogh

#6 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Yes, just like they did with the 3DS.
#7 Posted by redluigi11 (89 posts) -

What was once:

n64-kid.jpeg

What is today:

Wiiu-update.jpg

large.jpg

nameless12345

buys ps3 game puts ps3 game in game slot now has to download a update

good thing i have fast internet 

#8 Posted by bulby_g (1854 posts) -

Immediate updates on things are pretty much standard these days. :P  Bet the same thing happens with the new Playstation and X Box too.  They did screw up on some things though yes!  Still enjoying my Wii U though and if it wasn't for Ni No Kuni it'd be the only one of my consoles getting any love right now. 

#9 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29547 posts) -

Hardware aside.

They really screwed up with that Day 1 Update and Online interface.

Hopefully they'll be fixed in the future.

#10 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
Pretty much. Nintendo has been choosing gimmicks over substance however, they're lucky because they have get out of fail free cards with Mario, Pokemon and Zelda so, none of their consoles will ever completely flop.
#11 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29547 posts) -

Pretty much. Nintendo has been choosing gimmicks over substance however, they're lucky because they have get out of fail free cards with Mario, Pokemon and Zelda so, none of their consoles will ever completely flop.FlamesOfGrey

154853_10151322645566633_1928974482_n.jp

gimmicks you say.

#12 Posted by thedork_knight (1739 posts) -
i think that it'll be fine once its big hitters are released, especially in japan. Both the 360/ps3 had slow starts and months without any decent releases. Once the 720/ps4 are annouced the games will be out and hoping a price cut
#13 Posted by KingKinect (543 posts) -

Yeah I think they should have just gone with a simple powerful system with a regular controller and minimal focus on online features. In an era where consoles are becoming more like PCs a return to a simple PS2 style console could have been a good direction to take. If I were making a console I would make it was powerful as possible for a $300 price tag and as simple as possible with a standard controller. That said, the Dreamcast in my view did everything right and still failed so maybe marketing rather than design is the most important factor. It's probably a simple case of not enough people knowing what a Wii U is.

#14 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Pretty much. Nintendo has been choosing gimmicks over substance however, they're lucky because they have get out of fail free cards with Mario, Pokemon and Zelda so, none of their consoles will ever completely flop.LegatoSkyheart

gimmicks you say.

As Move has shown Sony doesn't put much backing into whatever casual gimmick they pull. I think it's safe to say the PS4 won't have any problems with 3rd Party support like the Wii-U or as much of a problem moving units. The PS3 at launch was doing better then the Wii-U is now and the PS3 was $600. Nintendo bet on the Wii-mote which was a failure for core games and now they're betting on the tablet which judging by the Wii-U's sells is failing.
#15 Posted by SecretPolice (31599 posts) -

:lol: @ OP

No, no, everything is going according to plan. :shock: :twisted:

#16 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6427 posts) -

buys ps3 game puts ps3 game in game slot now has to download a update

good thing i have fast internet 

redluigi11

Good thing sony servers are super fast oh wait there not updates still take a long time to download on ps3 because of slow servers I get no where near the maxium download rate of my internet.

#17 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29547 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Pretty much. Nintendo has been choosing gimmicks over substance however, they're lucky because they have get out of fail free cards with Mario, Pokemon and Zelda so, none of their consoles will ever completely flop.FlamesOfGrey

gimmicks you say.

As Move has shown Sony doesn't put much backing into whatever casual gimmick they pull. I think it's safe to say the PS4 won't have any problems with 3rd Party support like the Wii-U or as much of a problem moving units. The PS3 at launch was doing better then the Wii-U is now and the PS3 was $600. Nintendo bet on the Wii-mote which was a failure for core games and now they're betting on the tablet which judging by the Wii-U's sells is failing.

Just look at this back pedaling. So quick to go off on Nintendo's own Hardware then when it's shown on a Sony or Microsoft console you suddenly think it's going to be different. 

Watch next week you're probably going to say PS4's new controller is the best thing to hit Gaming since the Introduction of the Dual Shock.

#18 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

gimmicks you say.

LegatoSkyheart

Just look at this back pedaling. So quick to go off on Nintendo's own Hardware then when it's shown on a Sony or Microsoft console you suddenly think it's going to be different.

Watch next week you're probably going to say PS4's new controller is the best thing to hit Gaming since the Introduction of the Dual Shock.

How did I back paddle? Nintendo relied on it's gimmicks and Sony doesn't. History has shown this with Nintendo and until it does the same for Sony or Microsoft, that's that. The new PS4 controller is of zero interest to me and I would hope it's not true however, if it is like Move, then Sony won't be relying on it to sell consoles. Until Sony or Microsoft have the problems Nintendo's consoles have had since the N64 (poor 3rd party support) whatever gimmick they use is a non issue for core gamers like myself.

The reason the Wii-U is selling like *** is because is once again relying on it's new "controller" and hoping the casuals were going to jump onboard like with the Wii. I can say Sony won't be relying on that controller to sell the PS4.

#19 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
has TC ever made a thread without a question mark?
#20 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9263 posts) -
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] How did I back paddle? Nintendo relied on it's gimmicks and Sony doesn't. History has shown this with Nintendo and until it does the same for Sony or Microsoft, that's that. The new PS4 controller is of zero interest to me and I would hope it's not true however, if it is like Move, then Sony won't be relying on it to sell consoles. Until Sony or Microsoft have the problems Nintendo's consoles have had since the N64 (poor 3rd party support) whatever gimmick they use is a non issue for core gamers like myself

Blu Ray wasn't a gimmick the PS3 relied on?
#21 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] How did I back paddle? Nintendo relied on it's gimmicks and Sony doesn't. History has shown this with Nintendo and until it does the same for Sony or Microsoft, that's that. The new PS4 controller is of zero interest to me and I would hope it's not true however, if it is like Move, then Sony won't be relying on it to sell consoles. Until Sony or Microsoft have the problems Nintendo's consoles have had since the N64 (poor 3rd party support) whatever gimmick they use is a non issue for core gamers like myself

I don't consider Blu-Ray a gimmick. It was Sony pushing a new format. The Wii-Mote wass a gimmick, Kinect isa gimmick, PS Vita's back touch pad is a gimmick and if that is indeed Sony's new PS4 controller, that will be a gimmick. That is my opinion on it.
#22 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5685 posts) -

first of all many people were highly disappointed with wii (1) incl. me , nintendo lost many customers there , however even after the failure wii was i was willing to give wiiU a chance to convince me getting it , but already the name "wii" U was discouraging me to buy it based on my experience with the previous console, now wiiU launched and it has no games i want where wii had already a zelda , okami and RE4 (all gamecube/ps2 ports though).

Seriously who needs a wiiU right now? almost nobody until it get games imo , if you want to spend money on gaming ps3 and xbox360 are much better investments with their huge libraries and even better networks, and comparable graphics

Also the news about not being able to browse M-rated games in europe (most of the time) , made completely discard a purchase possibility , there are so many good games on other consoles i can live without playing zelda , i already skipped with skyward sword because i wasnt willing ti invest anymore money for motion plus into that console

in the past i never needed another console than nintendo along with my pc , but with the wii nintendo successfully lost me as a customer to the point i stopped caring about the only positve aspect of it - nintendo IPs.

for me its game over for nintendo until they ditch the whole WII brand and gimmicks and start to focus on improvents in games again, quality and quantity

#23 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19600 posts) -

Big time. If casuals still think the Wii U is a peripheral or handheld, and it's selling worse than my beloved Saturn, there is no question about it.

#24 Posted by WiiMan21 (8191 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] How did I back paddle? Nintendo relied on it's gimmicks and Sony doesn't. History has shown this with Nintendo and until it does the same for Sony or Microsoft, that's that. The new PS4 controller is of zero interest to me and I would hope it's not true however, if it is like Move, then Sony won't be relying on it to sell consoles. Until Sony or Microsoft have the problems Nintendo's consoles have had since the N64 (poor 3rd party support) whatever gimmick they use is a non issue for core gamers like myself

Wtf? Blu Ray is the new DVD, it's not a gimmick in the least. I already have an ever expanding Blu Ray collection and since they don't scratch they will be fine no matter what is thrown at them.
#25 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

I find it amazing that people complained about the Wii's lack of online play and now that the Wii U has a stable and great online network, people find something else to whine about...

Seriously, grow up. Consoles have had automatic updates since the DC. Quit your whining about something that everyone was begging for (online on a Nintendo Console) with the Wii.

#26 Posted by WiiMan21 (8191 posts) -

I find it amazing that people complained about the Wii's lack of online play and now that the Wii U has a stable and great online network, people find something else to whine about...

Seriously, grow up. Consoles have had automatic updates since the DC. Quit your whining about something that everyone was begging for (online on a Nintendo Console) with the Wii.

Puckhog04
That's not the only thing people are complaining about it. I want to buy one, however I wont back it until I know it will get a solid enough support from 3rd party developers as well as 1st party games.
#27 Posted by clr84651 (5630 posts) -

Wii U = too underpowered, price too high for what it is, too few games = failed console. 

#28 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9263 posts) -
[QUOTE="WiiMan21"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] How did I back paddle? Nintendo relied on it's gimmicks and Sony doesn't. History has shown this with Nintendo and until it does the same for Sony or Microsoft, that's that. The new PS4 controller is of zero interest to me and I would hope it's not true however, if it is like Move, then Sony won't be relying on it to sell consoles. Until Sony or Microsoft have the problems Nintendo's consoles have had since the N64 (poor 3rd party support) whatever gimmick they use is a non issue for core gamers like myself

Wtf? Blu Ray is the new DVD, it's not a gimmick in the least. I already have an ever expanding Blu Ray collection and since they don't scratch they will be fine no matter what is thrown at them.

On a gaming console, it absolutely is a gimmick.
#29 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

WiiMan21

That's not the only thing people are complaining about it. I want to buy one, however I wont back it until I know it will get a solid enough support from 3rd party developers as well as 1st party games.

Every new console has these growing pains in the beginning when no games are available for it. 3rd parties are on board with it...but they need time to get their games out on it. Again, new Consoles take time to build a library. You would think people here would realize that and stop blowing the whistle before the game has even begun. It just makes me think everyone is very inexperienced in this industry. Keep in mind Nintendo is making a HUGE profit from the Wii U at this point. They are sitting pretty in reality...they just need to wait for their games (and other third parties games) to start rolling in and wait for the sales just like they did with the 3DS.

#30 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

Wii U = too underpowered, price too high for what it is, too few games = failed console.

clr84651

People essentially said the same thing about the 3DS when it wasn't selling very well in the beginning. Now look at it.

#31 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33386 posts) -
Maybe so, but they still have time to turn things around.
#32 Posted by guard12 (2018 posts) -

Still too early to judge. If nothing changes by holiday 2013 than its safe to say that Nintendo screwed up

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33386 posts) -

Big time. If casuals still think the Wii U is a peripheral or handheld, and it's selling worse than my beloved Saturn, there is no question about it.

Renegade_Fury
Thus far, the Wii U units outsold the North American versions of the Saturn.
#34 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

To be honest I don't see what Nintendo can do for the Wii-U in 2013 except a price drop. Only games I can see releasing this year from 1st party are Pikmin 3, & Yoshi's Epic Yarn which aren't system sellers. I'm not sure how many people would buy a Wii-U for Zelda:Wind Waker HD. Only game I can see moving alot of units is Mario Kart U which I think will be shown at E3 and might release this year. The Wii-U is also too expensive for what you get.

Nintendo doesn't rush 3D Mario or Zelda games so, a 2013 release is definitely out for Zelda with Wind Waker coming out and not likely for Super Mario U. That leaves Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and 3DS. I don't see that coming out this year either. The 3DS is already stacked with 1st Party releases and it's multiplatform with the WiU.

#35 Posted by cainetao11 (32329 posts) -

What was once:

n64-kid.jpeg

What is today:

Wiiu-update.jpg

large.jpg

nameless12345
Yes, there is. The first is an actual reaction, the second two are not really related. Downloads are standard fair now.I own a WiiU, and the download speeds are slow much like my PS3, but patience is a virtue.
#36 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33386 posts) -

To be honest I don't see what Nintendo can do for the Wii-U in 2013 except a price drop. Only games I can see releasing this year from 1st party are Pikmin 3, & Yoshi's Epic Yarn which aren't system sellers. I'm not sure how many people would buy a Wii-U for Zelda:Wind Waker HD. Only game I can see moving alot of units is Mario Kart U which I think will be shown at and might release this year.

Nintendo doesn't rush 3D Mario or Zelda games so, a 2013 release is definitely out for Zelda with Wind Waker coming out and not likely for Super Mario U. That leaves Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and 3DS. I don't see that coming out this year either. The 3DS is already stacked with 1st Party releases and it's multiplaform with the WiU.

FlamesOfGrey

Which, again, won't happen because they are already taking losses. 3DS was different because they could afford it, not so with Wii U.

#37 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8465 posts) -

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

Puckhog04

People essentially said the same thing about the 3DS when it wasn't selling very well in the beginning. Now look at it.

Cutting the price by 33%, releasing 5+ mario games and having no direct competition helps. I don't think nintendo has any wiggle room to cut the price on a console that's already selling at a loss, and the next consoles from sony and MS seems to have brought excitement back to the industry. Good luck
#38 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

To be honest I don't see what Nintendo can do for the Wii-U in 2013 except a price drop. Only games I can see releasing this year from 1st party are Pikmin 3, & Yoshi's Epic Yarn which aren't system sellers. I'm not sure how many people would buy a Wii-U for Zelda:Wind Waker HD. Only game I can see moving alot of units is Mario Kart U which I think will be shown at and might release this year.

Nintendo doesn't rush 3D Mario or Zelda games so, a 2013 release is definitely out for Zelda with Wind Waker coming out and not likely for Super Mario U. That leaves Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and 3DS. I don't see that coming out this year either. The 3DS is already stacked with 1st Party releases and it's multiplaform with the WiU.

nintendoboy16

Which, again, won't happen because they are already taking losses. 3DS was different because they could afford it, not so with Wii U.

Didn't Reggie say the Wii-U becomes profitable once someone buys a game along with the system? They may have to take a greater loss whether they want to or not. It's like Sony with the Vita. If the consumer isn't buying. You have to do wihat you have to do. Nintendo made bank on the DS & Wii. They can take losses.
#39 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33386 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

FlamesOfGrey

Didn't Reggie say the Wii-U becomes profitable once someone buys a game along with the system? They may have to take a greater loss whether they want to or not. It's like Sony with the Vita. If the consumer isn't buying. You have to do wihat you have to do. Nintendo made bank on the DS & Wii. They can take losses.

GoNintendo posted an article somewhere that what Reggie said was bulls***. (I'll have to find it)

And no, they can't afford it if they are already taking a loss, especially in this economy EVEN when you have a lot of money.

#40 Posted by DaBrainz (7903 posts) -
I like it, I hope it survives.
#41 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Which, again, won't happen because they are already taking losses. 3DS was different because they could afford it, not so with Wii U.

nintendoboy16

GoNintendo posted an article somewhere that what Reggie said was bulls***. (I'll have to find it)

And no, they can't afford it if they are already taking a loss, especially in this economy EVEN when you have a lot of money.

Well, if Nintendo can't afford to take a sizable loss to give the Wii-U some steam, the system is going to have an even rougher time when it's competing with systems in it's actual generation. I hope they have a plan in mind.
#42 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33386 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] Didn't Reggie say the Wii-U becomes profitable once someone buys a game along with the system? They may have to take a greater loss whether they want to or not. It's like Sony with the Vita. If the consumer isn't buying. You have to do wihat you have to do. Nintendo made bank on the DS & Wii. They can take losses.FlamesOfGrey

Well, if Nintendo can't afford to take a sizable loss to give the Wii-U some steam, the system is going to have an even rougher time when it's competing with systems in it's actual generation. I hope they have a plan in mind.

They probably will.

Oh yeah, here's that article (thanks GoNintendo).

In a story about Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, Fils-Aime incorrectly said that Nintendo makes a profit on the Wii U console after consumers buy one piece of software. The number is more than one, but the company declined to say the exact number.

#43 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

i didn't think that the wii u was that interesting. i didn't think they were going to capitalize with its like with the wii

#44 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -

Renegade_Fury
The Wii U sold 3.06 million units in 2 months while the Saturn sold 9.4 million in about 4 years. You would have to be a delusional fanboy to think the Wii U wouldn't outsell the Saturn easily. The Wii U will most likely sell closer to the Gamecube, which is enough to survive.
#45 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19600 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

TheWalkingGhost

The Wii U sold 3.06 million units in 2 months while the Saturn sold 9.4 million in about 4 years. You would have to be a delusional fanboy to think the Wii U wouldn't outsell the Saturn easily. The Wii U will most likely sell closer to the Gamecube, which is enough to survive.

I was refering to this nugget, before it was debunked. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

121bdyd.png

Fighting for survival after the Wii? What a joke. Right now it's selling worse than the GCN, and just the fact that the Wii U is being mentioned alongside it is nothing short of a colossal failure by Nintendo. Also unlike the GCN, there is no Rogue Leader or Super Smash in the launch window, and the console itself is selling at a loss.

#46 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (6092 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

I was refering to this nugget, before it was debunked. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

121bdyd.png

Fighting for survival after the Wii? What a joke. Right now it's selling worse than the GCN, and just the fact that the Wii U is being mentioned alongside it is nothing short of a colossal failure by Nintendo. Also unlike the GCN, there is no Rogue Leader or Super Smash in the launch window, and the console itself is selling at a loss.

Somebody is getting their panties in a bunch, and it isn't me.Calm down dude, no need to cry.
#47 Posted by mrmoeone (521 posts) -

Yes and no, maybe they could have gotten away with a weaker console, a console without digital rights accounts, a console with a crap HDD, no third party support, no headset for online communication, they probably could have gotten away with all that had they had a few worthy launch titles like a Metroid and Zelda game, and this being their biggest mistake they should probably be letting people know of their incoming first party games but instead I keep hearing about what's coming to the 3DS, I'd say they're handling their worst aspect of the Wii U (the 1st party games) pretty badly.lamprey263
This^...thats all i have been hearing 3ds this 3ds that I dont know what to think about Nintendo anymore :?

#48 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19600 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] The Wii U sold 3.06 million units in 2 months while the Saturn sold 9.4 million in about 4 years. You would have to be a delusional fanboy to think the Wii U wouldn't outsell the Saturn easily. The Wii U will most likely sell closer to the Gamecube, which is enough to survive. TheWalkingGhost

121bdyd.png

Somebody is getting their panties in a bunch, and it isn't me.Calm down dude, no need to cry.

lol, why would I be crying? I'm not partial to any of the big 3, just stating facts is all.

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
#49 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

TheWalkingGhost

But those are shipped and are sitting in stores. They were able to over ship units because retailers expected Wiimania again.

Btw, selling about as much as the GC is not enough for survival (plus it's actually selling worse).

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#50 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9113 posts) -

Nintendo dropped the ball at E3 and dragged their feet to launch with pretty much no hype or killer-app. I'd say they screwed up. Wii, on the other hand, knocked it out of the park in a way I don't think anyone saw coming. Unlike the Wii U, it had a killer-app for casuals(Wii Sports) and core gamers(Twilight Princess). Too bad they didn't learn anything from that or the 3DS launch.