Did MS Moneyhat TR Because They're Scared of Uncharted?

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did MS Moneyhat TR Because They're Scared of Uncharted? (118 votes)

Yes 53%
No 28%
No, There Was Another Reason 19%

Simple question really. People have drawn comparisons between the two series for years, it feels like maybe Microsoft felt like they didn't have anything that could compete with Naughty Dog next year.

• 
ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I don't know....

Is Uncharted even Sony's best selling franchise ?

It says something about how cows perceive quality if it is.

Pretty sure Gran Turismo series are playstation number seller!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#52 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

no they are scared of their sales numbers

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 cainetao11

@Legend002 said:

110% sure they went after other 3rd parties but was rejected. SE was probably one of the only few that took the bait.

gonna need to see that 110% evidence

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@kingtito said:

What? You mean the game Uncharted modeled itself after has never been as good? Are you serious? I'd take Tomb Raider from the PS1 days over any of those average Uncharted games. The only thing Uncharted has over TR is it's graphics which looked like it just finished raining oil the entire game.

TR>>>>Uncharted

I agree that TR is better but to say that UC is not even good? You are insane. TR is better because of the overall gameplay and that's it. Story, voice acting, music, graphic and even multiplayer all goes to UC. Pretty much everything but the gameplay goes to UC.If Naughty Dog adopt some of the gameplay mechanics from TLoU to UC4 then TR2 won't have a leg to stand on comparing.

Where did I say it wasn't good? I said it was average and frankly it's game play was average. If it were a movie then I'd rate it higher for it's "voice acting, story, music and graphics" but it's a game. Gameplay>>>>>>>>graphics & acting

Except gameplay and gameplay is more important.

What's the point in saying that? TLOU's gameplay isn't all that great either. TLOU is another game that has average gameplay with exceptional "story, acting, music and graphics".

Of course, all of this is my opinion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ni6htmare01

Ah Yes... Cars are better anyway. :)

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@kingtito The Last of Us game play is good as if not better than TR so it's natural to mention it especially when the people behind it are the same from UC.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57  Edited By shadiezz2012
Member since 2012 • 2474 Posts

@kingtito: good thing that you know that this is just your opinion which not only i and millions disagree with it but scores and awards too ....and Uncharted took nothing from Old Tomb Raider games unless in your mind you think Tomb raider invented 3rd person shooters and platforming and puzzles lol and even then they look no where near close to each other in gameplay ....the only thing they share in common is going after the gold and both are made after indiana jones that's fucking it...on the other hand Tomb Raider 2013 is pretty much uncharted but with a girl as the main character

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 cainetao11

Phil Spencer ✔ @XboxP3Follow

@TallDwarfSocial Happy 2 partner w/ SE/CD to publish RotTR similiar 2 what we did on Dead Rising. See: http://bit.ly/Y8oDhs @kezamacdonald

So according to Spencer's tweet, MS is publishing Rise of the TR.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#59 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

i prefer the new Tomb Raider over Uncharted. I've not played Uncharted 2 or 3. I will be getting the next Tomb Raider when its released on the PS3 or PS4. I do hope it's good if not better than the 1st Tomb Raider, i really enjoyed it, although, i've still not completed it yet lol -.-

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By kingtito

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito: good thing that you know that this is just your opinion which not only i and millions disagree with it but scores and awards too ....and Uncharted took nothing from Old Tomb Raider games unless in your mind you think Tomb raider invented 3rd person shooters and platforming and puzzleslol and even then they look no where near close to each other in gameplay ....the only thing they share in common is going after the gold and both are made after indiana jones that's fucking it...on the other hand Tomb Raider 2013 is pretty much uncharted but with a girl as the main character

As long as YOU know that millions of opinions don't make it fact. Awards are pretty much meaningless so again nothing more than opinions from everyone.

So the whole treasure hunting, exploring ruins and the Indiana Jones/ Laura Croft like protagonist wasn't taken from TR? Ummm ok if you say so.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kingtito

@Legend002 said:

@kingtito The Last of Us game play is good as if not better than TR so it's natural to mention it especially when the people behind it are the same from UC.

I didn't think so and it was pretty much Uncharted in a zombie apocalypse setting. It was so uninspiring and dull (IMO) that I stopped playing it for weeks and only finished it because I wanted to give it back.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

And being 5 million + behind current gen 8 leader SONY and the PS4.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Expect a lot more of this from Microsoft.

Microsoft motto: "You're losing or can't beat them. You buy them."

This is tiny... Compared to what Microsoft is going to do.

You do realize this is Microsoft? Plenty of history here to go by.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By shadiezz2012

@kingtito said:

As long as YOU know that millions of opinions don't make it fact. Awards are pretty much meaningless so again nothing more than opinions from everyone.

So the whole treasure hunting, exploring ruins and the Indiana Jones/ Laura Croft like protagonist wasn't taken from TR? Ummm ok if you say so.

like i said most gamers would disagree with you and on top of that there is the awards and scores that back it up

also let me get this right ....you are saying old Tomb Raider invented Treasure hunting ?!lolXD ...also i just said that both TR and UC took inspiration from Indiana Jones and that's it .....they share nothing in commen other that

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By shadiezz2012

@kingtito said:

@Legend002 said:

I didn't think so and it was pretty much Uncharted in a zombie apocalypse setting. It was so uninspiring and dull (IMO) that I stopped playing it for weeks and only finished it because I wanted to give it back.

what a complete BS ...i didn't know uncharted have health bar,scare ammo,Mele Combat as fucking brutal or tense as TLOU combat,Weapons like Pipe/Shiv/Molotov/Machete/Smoke Bombs/Nail Bombs etc,Craft System,Brutal Gunplay,didn't know you can make enemies beg for their life in uncharted or hold them as shield ,didn't know Uncharted have enemies that flank you and attack you from behind etc ,Gameplay options to avoid enemies or stealth them or kill them, didn't know Joel can jump like Drake,Exploring,etc

Uncharted pretty much share nothing in commen with Uncharted other than being made by Naughty Dog...there is even alot of gamers who hate Uncharted but in love with TLOU which show how different they are

i see you defend Microsoft all the time so every thing make sense now reading your comment

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 kingtito

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito said:

like i said most gamers would disagree with you and on top of that there is the awards and scores that back it up

also let me get this right ....you are saying old Tomb Raider invented Treasure hunting ?! ...also i just said that both TR and UC took inspiration from Indiana Jones and that's it .....they share nothing in commen other that

And as I said awards are meaningless and others opinions doesn't make what YOU say fact, no matter how many agree.

1st off you haven't gotten anything right, 2nd where did I say TR invented anything? I said Uncharted was inspired/copied from TR as well as Indiana Jones since that was also TRs inspiration. Don't recall ever saying TR invented anything but you go on reading what you want to read.

That is all that's needed. Uncharted is all about presentation and story while it's gameplay is mediocre at best. Pretty much what I've been saying. I don't buy and play games just to see how pretty the graphics are. I watch movies for that. Graphics and story are very nice to have, don't get me wrong but if the gameplay is average then the game is just meh for me. Uncharted is pretty much all graphics and those graphics are made to look like it was bathing is wesson oil.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By shadiezz2012

@kingtito said:

And as I said awards are meaningless and others opinions doesn't make what YOU say fact, no matter how many agree.

1st off you haven't gotten anything right, 2nd where did I say TR invented anything? I said Uncharted was inspired/copied from TR as well as Indiana Jones since that was also TRs inspiration. Don't recall ever saying TR invented anything but you go on reading what you want to read.

That is all that's needed. Uncharted is all about presentation and story while it's gameplay is mediocre at best. Pretty much what I've been saying. I don't buy and play games just to see how pretty the graphics are. I watch movies for that. Graphics and story are very nice to have, don't get me wrong but if the gameplay is average then the game is just meh for me. Uncharted is pretty much all graphics and those graphics are made to look like it was bathing is wesson oil.

and again you fail to point what Uncharted share iin commen with old tomb raider games other than Treasure hunting which uncharted took from Indiana Jones not Tomb Raider

and i never said my opinion is a fact also maybe awards and scores are meaningless to you but they are still point out that gamers and critcs view uncharted games as the best as for your opinion on uncharted gameplay ...well, just like you said it's your opinion which i disagree with i think it have better gameplay than tomb raider 2013 which is a copy of uncharted games

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 kingtito

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito said:

@Legend002 said:

what a complete BS ...i didn't know uncharted have health bar,scare ammo,Mele Combat as fucking brutal or tense as TLOU combat,Weapons like Pipe/Shiv/Molotov/Machete/Smoke Bombs/Nail Bombs etc,Craft System,Brutal Gunplay,didn't know you can make enemies beg for their life in uncharted or hold them as shield ,didn't know Uncharted have enemies that flank you and attack you from behind etc ,Gameplay options to avoid enemies or stealth them or kill them, didn't know Joel can jump like Drake,Exploring,etc

Uncharted pretty much share nothing in commen with Uncharted other than being made by Naughty Dog...there is even alot of gamers who hate Uncharted but in love with TLOU which show how different they are

i see you defend Microsoft all the time so every thing make sense now reading your comment

Think what you want kid, I've played and completed both games. Seemed very similar to me and for a second I thought Joel was the older version of Nathan Drake.

You seem to be drinking the TLOU Uncharted kool-aid awfully hard kid. I can see how biased you are. I see no point in further discussions about either game. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I defend MS yet I've owned all PS consoles and play most of their games. Yeah perhaps you should see what I'm actually posting about. I don't care about MS nor do I care about Sony. What I respond to are the trolling cows with biased agendas. Those irrational fanboys that can justify anything their company of choice does. You seem to be borderline with your comments about TLOU and Uncharted.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 kingtito

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito said:

and again you fail to point what Uncharted share iin commen with old tomb raider games other than Treasure hunting which uncharted took from Indiana Jones not Tomb Raider

and i never said my opinion is a fact also maybe awards and scores are meaningless to you but they are still point out that gamers and critcs view uncharted games as the best as for your opinion on uncharted gameplay ...well, just like you said it's your opinion which i disagree with i think it have better gameplay than tomb raider 2013 which is a copy of uncharted games

Treasure hunting and exploring ruins is what Uncharted is all about. The devs took that from TR and TR took that from Indian Jones. You seriously are trying to say Uncharted has nothing in common with TR.

Scores and awards don't say anything other than that review or panel happened to like the game. That doesn't mean their opinion means more than anyone else's. Stop acting like you speak for ALL gamers. You have no idea what all gamers think about Uncharted. BTW scores can be bought so you really should stop trying to use that to bolster your argument.

Uncharted IMO == ok. Not great, not spectacular and most definitely NOT better than the old TR games. You want to say they're better, go right ahead so let's just agree to disagree.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito: so that's you get ....kid ?!

i don't need to drink any thing while you seem to drink alot of Microsoft's green cum...i posted how much different TLOU from Uncharted and since you can't counter them you go with ...""ohhh i can't prove him wrong so i will just insult him"" ....also you are still a lem having all PS consoles doesn't matter at all ...there is cows here who own both consoles but still cows .

lol, someone's mad

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By shadiezz2012

@kingtito said:

1.Treasure hunting and exploring ruins is what Uncharted is all about. The devs took that from TR and TR took that from Indian Jones. You seriously are trying to say Uncharted has nothing in common with TR.

2.Scores and awards don't say anything other than that review or panel happened to like the game. That doesn't mean their opinion means more than anyone else's. Stop acting like you speak for ALL gamers. You have no idea what all gamers think about Uncharted. BTW scores can be bought so you really should stop trying to use that to bolster your argument.

3.Uncharted IMO == ok. Not great, not spectacular and most definitely NOT better than the old TR games. You want to say they're better, go right ahead so let's just agree to disagree.

1. again Uncharted took nothing from old Tomb Raider and only took Treasure hunting and exploring ruins from Indian Jones and that's it

2.i don't need to speak for ALL gamers ...they vote with their reviews and money also Prove that Sony bought the scores for uncharted games...i will wait

3.yeah let's agree to disagree then

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 shadiezz2012

@lostrib: why ?!....why don't you post something useful for once other than "oh he's mad"

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

No. well not exactly.

Crystal Dynamics and SE ALLOWED MS to money hat them because THEY are afraid to compete directly with Uncharted.

MS just money hatted Tomb Raider (probably any 3rd party they could convince) because they don't have any exclusives worth buying their system for.

The only reason why this happened is because Crystal Dynamics and SE had a mutual interest in not directly competing with Uncharted so the deal fell through.

MS would probably have taken anyone who would agree, but most don't see the benefit in such an agreement as you can understand 10mil > 5 mil plus pay off

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

No. well not exactly.

Crystal Dynamics and SE ALLOWED MS to money hat them because THEY are afraid to compete directly with Uncharted.

MS just money hatted Tomb Raider (probably any 3rd party they could convince) because they don't have any exclusives worth buying their system for.

The only reason why this happened is because Crystal Dynamics and SE had a mutual interest in not directly competing with Uncharted so the deal fall through.

MS would probably have taken anyone who would agree, but most don't see the benefit in such an agreement as you can understand 10mil > 5 mil plus pay off

You know if they were afraid of Uncharted they would have just moved their game release. smh

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By kingtito

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito said:

1.Treasure hunting and exploring ruins is what Uncharted is all about. The devs took that from TR and TR took that from Indian Jones. You seriously are trying to say Uncharted has nothing in common with TR.

2.Scores and awards don't say anything other than that review or panel happened to like the game. That doesn't mean their opinion means more than anyone else's. Stop acting like you speak for ALL gamers. You have no idea what all gamers think about Uncharted. BTW scores can be bought so you really should stop trying to use that to bolster your argument.

3.Uncharted IMO == ok. Not great, not spectacular and most definitely NOT better than the old TR games. You want to say they're better, go right ahead so let's just agree to disagree.

1. again Uncharted took nothing from old Tomb Raider and only took Treasure hunting and exploring ruins from Indian Jones and that's it

2.i don't need to speak for ALL gamers ...they vote with their reviews and money also Prove that Sony bought the scores for uncharted games...i will wait

3.yeah let's agree to disagree then

1. Playing the def, dumb and blind bit I see. Ok nothing further to discuss

2. I said game score can be bought, I didn't Sony bought TLOU or Uncharted though I wouldn't put it past them to "nudge" the reviewers a certain way. Proof incoming...you continue waiting

@shadiezz2012 said:

@kingtito: so that's you get ....kid ?!

i don't need to drink any thing while you seem to drink alot of Microsoft's green cum...i posted how much different TLOU from Uncharted and since you can't counter them you go with ...""ohhh i can't prove him wrong so i will just insult him"" ....also you are still a lem having all PS consoles doesn't matter at all ...there is cows here who own both consoles but still cows .

Right the kid calling was out of line my bad.

There's nothing to prove really. I played both TLOU and Uncharted and as I've said, they seemed similar. Nothing you throw at me is going to sway my opinion so no need in further conversation regarding that.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By shadiezz2012

@kingtito: it's ok atleast you took back the name calling

oh well, you said your opinion which i disagree with completely ...let's leave it at that then

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@kinectthedots said:

No. well not exactly.

The only reason why this happened is because Crystal Dynamics and SE had a mutual interest in not directly competing with Uncharted so the deal fall through.

You know if they were afraid of Uncharted they would have just moved their game release. smh

lol think about that for a second, they did move their game release...THEY DID!

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts

No, they did it to piss off stupid internet fanboys like you TC.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@kinectthedots said:

No. well not exactly.

lol think about that for a second, they did move their game release...THEY DID!

Well I was talking about your correlation to the deal with MS. It doesn't follow necessarily. Kinect the dots man...

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

It was to take away a common game from PS that PS gamers were used to playing to try and get them to buy an X1. It wont work. It will only make PS gamers dislike Tomb Raider & never buy it in the future.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Tomb Raider is a big name. It's a good holiday exclusive to have.

Did Sony create Uncharted because they were scared of Gears?

Well Sony actually made something, not just buy it. That's far more impressive.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

@-RocBoys9489- said:

No, they did it to piss off stupid internet fanboys like you TC.

You seem angry.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

MSoft funding = Money Hating Fear

Sony funding = Brilliant Business Move to Counter Competition

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

@Blabadon said:

not to mention there's no way they only made the game in response to gears. It launched 1 year later and as talented is ND is, we all know they spend a lot more time than that working on IPs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#87  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Who wouldn't be scared? It's freaking Uncharted...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#88 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@handssss said:

@Zero_epyon said:

@Blabadon said:

not to mention there's no way they only made the game in response to gears. It launched 1 year later and as talented is ND is, we all know they spend a lot more time than that working on IPs.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1063301/naughty_dog_gritty_xbox_shooters_shaped_uncharted.html

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#89 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Who isn't scared of uncharted?

PC master race.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

yup, both MS and SE are scared of Uncharted.

Judging by the size of PS4 vs Xbone install base, Uncharted 4 is going to destroy Halo 5 sale number

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#91 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

ooooh got em!

Not really. The 1st Uncharted was already in development before the 1st Gears was even announced

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

ooooh got em!

Not really. The 1st Uncharted was already in development before the 1st Gears was even announced

Way to miss the point doofus. Why would MS be scared of Uncharted when they already have 2 franchises that are bigger?

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@handssss said:

@Zero_epyon said:

@Blabadon said:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1063301/naughty_dog_gritty_xbox_shooters_shaped_uncharted.html

yes, seen this before. Not only is gears of war only mentioned merely by way of the author's speculation, but it's as if you forget the 360 wasn't the original xbox. You seriously think they overhauled the entire gameplay based off of a game that had only been out for a year?

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Well, Thats one reason. the other is they're to lazy to create/buy their own ip's so they just throw money at 3rd party devs and bribe them for their's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@mems_1224 said:

@Vatusus said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

ooooh got em!

Way to miss the point doofus. Why would MS be scared of Uncharted when they already have 2 franchises that are bigger?

Neither of those franchises are like Uncharted though (and no, Uncharted isnt a TPS in the vein of a gears of war, its more action adventure)

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Neither of those franchises are like Uncharted though (and no, Uncharted isnt a TPS in the vein of a gears of war, its more action adventure)

Irrelevant. Why would MS fear Uncharted if they already have franchises that are bigger?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@mems_1224 said:

@Vatusus said:

Irrelevant. Why would MS fear Uncharted if they already have franchises that are bigger?

To catter at people that like these type of games? duh? Just like Sony is pushing Destiny to catter at people who liked Halo? I think its pretty obvious

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#98 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@cainetao11: Sure, here.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points