DID MS get to excited at the wrong time with PUBG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll DID MS get to excited at the wrong time with PUBG? (55 votes)

Yes, MS was stupid to get hyped over PUBG 49%
NO, MS was smart to invest in to PUBG 51%

As we all know that PUBG is failing and its failing hard to Fortnite. So do you think MS made a huge mistake with PUBG exclusively.

• 
JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'm not sure what they invested in it besides some development help to get it to run on an Xbox. It's probably not the game they wished it could have been... Just like most of the exclusives released recently.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

It seems like a smart investment even though it got overshadowed by Fortnite. I’m sure that it has done and continues to do relatively well still.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

I wish I had a game that had 50+ million in sales on PC and Xbox. Man what a total damn failure this game is. Already had over 3 million sales on Xbox in January. Would not be surprised if it is around 5 million now on Xbox.

No not as big as Fornite, but Fornite is F2P also. I am not sure I would ever allow you to run a business since you don't know what a success even is.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Yeah, but to be fair, Fortnite was already on everything so they couldn't buy a deal with them.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

It seems like a smart investment even though it got overshadowed by Fortnite. I’m sure that it has done and continues to do relatively well still.

Hmm, not sure how smart it was.

Battlegrounds have lost over half their players on steam, meaning fortnite is not just smashing PUBG , they are wiping the floor with it and if you look at the demographic, over 60% who plays it is from Asia, not a market that is strong for the Xbox.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

I haven’t played PUBG yet. Is it still shit on the Xbox platform?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ant_17

@pdogg93 said:

I haven’t played PUBG yet. Is it still shit on the Xbox platform?

Yep. better off playing the mobile version, since it is up to date with the PC version.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It still sold 4-5m on Xbox. It may not have been the best investment but it certainly wasn’t the worst.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

@Jacanuk: It’s done pretty well on the Xbox platform and that’s why they invested in it was for the console exclusivity. Fortnite wasn’t really much of a thing until they copied the Battle Royale formula from PUBG so I don’t think anyone really expected it to explode like it did. I still think that Microsoft investing in making PUBG a console exclusive to Xbox if even for a limited time was still a smart thing to do as it still captured some of the hotness that it had going for it at the time plus it still seems to be doing ok for the time being.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The only reason Fortnite is doing so well is because its free.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

The stupid decision involving PUBG is playing it on console. The smart decision would be to invest in a gaming PC to play it properly. :)

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Or the fact that you can build spam your way out of a shit situation you put yourself in.

You have bad positioning in pubg, you die with no way out.

oh yea and the whole 10-20 fps thing........lol.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ant_17

@BassMan said:

The stupid decision involving PUBG is playing it on console. The smart decision would be to invest in a gaming PC to play it properly. :)

The smart decision is to not play it all.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BassMan

@dxmcat said:
@MonsieurX said:

Or the fact that you can build spam your way out of a shit situation you put yourself in.

You have bad positioning in pubg, you die with no way out.

oh yea and the whole 10-20 fps thing........lol.

That building crap is the reason I have no interest in Fortnite and prefer a game like PUBG. They have similarities, but cater to different audiences. Obviously Fortnite has more mass appeal and is free, but I doubt a large portion of people who left PUBG did so because they wanted to switch to Fortnite.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BassMan

@Ant_17 said:
@BassMan said:

Perhaps, but It still a smart decision to invest in a gaming PC. hehe :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Battlegrounds have lost over half their players on steam, meaning fortnite is not just smashing PUBG , they are wiping the floor with it and if you look at the demographic, over 60% who plays it is from Asia, not a market that is strong for the Xbox.

I am not sure where you are getting this info but today PUBG clocked in 1.5 million peak players and Fortnite is not in the top 10 most played on Steam. Am I missing something?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I am not sure where you are getting this info but today PUBG clocked in 1.5 million peak players and Fortnite is not in the top 10 most played on Steam. Am I missing something?

Fortnite is not available on steam. You have to play it through the Epic Games Launcher. But yeah... PUBG is still doing very well when you look at the overall picture.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@Ant_17 said:
@BassMan said:

^ ^ This

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Pedro said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Having 2 extremely high played BattleRoyal shooters > only having 1.

They are reaching hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

*Too

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Didn't it sell over 5 million on Xbox? I would hardly call that a bad investment.

And PUBG is better than Fortnite. Fortnite just has a bigger audience because it is Free to Play, but PUBG is more fun.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

There was nothing they could have done about Fortnite. PUBG was not only a good move for xbox it was the only move for that year. I think everyone was screaming for MS to lock the game down. Sometimes you gotta feed your fanboys popular shit no matter what state there in.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

PUBG is much better than Fortnite in my book

Not hating on Fornite, just don't care about it at all. Realm Royale is also not as good as PUBG

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

When I play PUBG (PC) my hands sweat, my heart races, and I actually have to stop after a couple of rounds due to anxiety it causes me. To me, the game is so good at building tension that it affects me physically and mentally.

I just don't see Fortnite giving me the same reaction. I don't know if its the cartoony look or just the overall lack of realism, but I think PUBG has that part locked down.

PUBG has been a great game on PC for a while. It is far from perfect, but it has made some great strides from the early game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

The PUBG and Fortnite comparisons are misguided. PUBG is premium, whereas Fortnite is F2P. Recent history has shown F2P almost always beats premium in revenue and player numbers. It's not a fair comparison.

As for PUBG, it's sold 50 million and grossed $1.5 billion, more than almost every AAA game on the market. Fortnite is currently at $1.2 billion.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

this whole 'PUBG is dying/failing' narrative is nonsense.

it appeals to a different audience than Fortnite. it makes sense that when Fortnite first came out, it took a chunk of the PUBG audience who were only playing that game because of its novel premise, and Fortnite's more casual style probably appealed to them more.

the rest are people like me who prefer a more 'realistic,' tactical game. I know loads of people who never stopped playing PUBG and aren't going to switch to Fortnite. Its still the most played game on steam, and the top selling game on steam. its doing fine.

the only thing that might cause pubg to actually die is if another, more realistic BR game came out that does it better than PUBG (which is entirely possible but hasn't happened yet).

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

In the end, I wonder which game will have made more money. Two very different models.

To answer the question- I think it was the wrong move. The dev's clearly don't want to put the time and effort into optimizing the game to run well on Xbox. Or to add more content to the game. Just come across as really lazy people- I wouldn't want to invest in a company like that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Besides the fact that Fortnite is not on steam, And also it´s 1.2, not 1.5 peak.

Well, I did not say no one played Pubg anymore, I said they have lost half of their original player base, Right now there is around 600k playing before Fortnite it was around 1.5-2.5 million

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts
@drummerdave9099 said:

In the end, I wonder which game will have made more money. Two very different models.

For now, PUBG has made $1.5 billion, and Fortnite has made $1.2 billion, though it's likely that Fortnite will surpass PUBG within the next few months.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

No, the game for at least a short while garnered a good deal of positive attention, and surely some people still care about it. I'd consider playing it, once performance improves, and/or it's free on Game Pass.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

There was talk of MS buying Bluehole the Dev of PUBG. Glad they didn't. Battle royal will be everywhere soon.

I hate the building crap in Fortnite personally.(Also in Fallout to be honest) PUBG, bugs and all is just more fun and sometimes hilarious.

MS made more than they invested and would be happy to have that result with any of my own investments.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

No, the game for at least a short while garnered a good deal of positive attention, and surely some people still care about it. I'd consider playing it, once performance improves, and/or it's free on Game Pass.

Clearly the devs don't care or are too lazy to optimize the game to run at 30fps on Xbox One. Not the kind of devs I would want to be praising if I were Microsoft.