Did a single Playstation 5 TECH DEMO build more hype for next gen than both Microsoft Showcases combined?

• 155 results
LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did a single Playstation 5 TECH DEMO build more hype for next gen than both Microsoft Showcases combined? (64 votes)

Hell yeah! It was running in real time bro... 55%
Of course not. Microsoft's showcases are the best... 45%

Sony's show aside...I think this tech demo really reinvigorated our expectations of what next gen will look like because after Microsoft's third party showing, I was depressed. Prior to the show, I was amped because good old Dr. Phil Spencer made the Series X sound like a monster ready to break the leash. After the disappointing show, IGN had an entire article dedicated to telling people not to expect a big leap in graphics and that our expectations might be a little too high. Dr. Phil followed up saying the same thing and then BAAM!!! This AMAZING tech demo hit (running in real time) and it looked EVEN BETTER than my expectations.

After this, I'm saying to myself "Microsoft is going to show their asses when they do their first party game reveal" but instead, we got teaser trailer galore.

If Sony wouldn't have shown anything, I don't think anyone would've been upset with the Halo reveal because it was pretty much on par with Microsoft's third party showing and I'm pretty sure everyone would've accepted it BUT...because of this glorious looking tech demo showing what can be done on next gen hardware, Halo and Microsoft was clowned and here we are.

So did a PS5 tech demo outshine both of Microsoft's showcases combined? And what was your honest opinion of both shows?

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Funny, most people have moved on because of two factors. It was a demo and it can done on all three platforms. Sorry to burst your bubble.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

So we're hyping tech demos now?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

The demo looked good, but when i hear 30fps plus next gen, i laugh so hard i poop a little

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@jasonofa36: No need to. It already hyped itself

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@louixiii: Only blind fanboys get hyped by tech demos LOL

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

The demo looked good, but when i hear 30fps plus next gen, i laugh so hard i poop a little

I'm sorry but I'd rather see that running at 30 than Craig running at 120

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen

@louixiii said:
@hardwenzen said:

Same, but i rather have CP2077 visuals at 60fps.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

It's possible. I think views have some correlation to actual interest. 300m views for PS5.

That demo is likely to run better on the Series X though. It was 1440p/30 FPS on the PS5 upscaled using TAA to 4K iirc.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Weird that you should see it as a ps5 showcase vs an Xbox showcase, but hey...sw.

The UE5 engine showcase looked better than anything on both Xbox or Sony showcases, but I remain sceptical as to whether we'll see full games looking like that this gen.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

xbox serfes x can run that @ 120 fps, ps5 only 30 fps lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Did a single post from archangel make the OP have a meltdown? why yes it did lol.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Mehh makes sense that cows hype tech demos I guess... the amount of gameplay in it are about the same as their big hitters!

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Cows thought the tech demo was ps5 gameplay and the engine was exclusive

Unreal (pun intended)HaH

The reality.......GOD FALL

Bless

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

just goes to show cows are dumb

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

To be honest that's my most anticipated launch title. TLHBO

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

LMAO imagine the desperation when you hype tech demos 😂🤣

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Another squealing turd burglar. :P

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It worked last gen with that FF tech demo where the woman turns into a dragon and ...Deep Down.

But to answer the TQ: Yes.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

The tech demo that ran better on a year old laptop?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Honestly unfortunately that tech demo beat everything both of them showed... just saying.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

It was a UE5 tech demo running on a PS5, not a PS5 tech demo.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7163 Posts

@sealionact said:

Weird that you should see it as a ps5 showcase vs an Xbox showcase, but hey...sw.

The UE5 engine showcase looked better than anything on both Xbox or Sony showcases, but I remain sceptical as to whether we'll see full games looking like that this gen.

how can't it not for both systems if this demo was running on a console? when un5 comes out to these developers im sure they be able to make a game look that good. a 12 man team in 6 months made that tech demo run on a ps5. because the tools are there. now imagine a team of 200 hundred people and 3 to 4 years of work.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@gifford38 said:

how can't it not for both systems if this demo was running on a console? when un5 comes out to these developers im sure they be able to make a game look that good. a 12 man team in 6 months made that tech demo run on a ps5. because the tools are there. no imagine a team of 200 hundred people and 3 to 4 years of work.

That's not how it works or scales.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gifford38
@hardwenzen said:
@louixiii said:
@hardwenzen said:

you do know epic said they got that tech demo running at 4k/60 on the ps5 right?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gifford38

this is the dumbest argument in system wars ever.

lemming why are you guys hating this tech demo? you guys don't like playing on unreal 4? this tech demo just because it is run on the ps5 you guys hate and make in front of unreal 5. its dumb this is for your developers to.

sony fans stop using this against xbox one of there first party will be one of the first to use it. its made for xbox as well and the switch.

this is a game engine for all systems.

to the xbox fans saying it looks like crap are lies (blind hate) and don't want xbox games made from it.

why xbox fans how can you guys say it looks like crap? no game has ever been that detailed before but yet it looks like crap. you guys don't want your games to be made on un5 but want un4 instead?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@louixiii said:
@hardwenzen said:

you do know epic said they got that tech demo running at 4k/60 on the ps5 right?

Where did you see that? Also, wasn't EPIC paid to sucky sucky Sony?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

how can't it not for both systems if this demo was running on a console? when un5 comes out to these developers im sure they be able to make a game look that good. a 12 man team in 6 months made that tech demo run on a ps5. because the tools are there. no imagine a team of 200 hundred people and 3 to 4 years of work.

that not how unreal 4 works? the tools are there for developers to use. they also can bring in high res assets from zbrush with unreal 5. i see games surpass the unreal4 tech demo years ago. so only nanite and lumin are exclusive to the tech demo? everything they showed can be done on a series x and ps5. it can done on a switch but of course it would not look as good as the next gen consoles with that many triangles but im sure the texture work will look better than using the unreal 4 engine because the unreal 5 is better at crunching those numbers with nanite. lumin as well uses very little gpu epic has already stated and switch would be able to use it as well.

i mean if that mid laptop can do it if that video was real than im sure next gen consoles will have games looking that good.

granted they better be working on compression more because with those graphics in the tech demo the game is going to be huge in the gig department lol. like 200 gigs for one game lol.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gifford38
@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

and what scaling? the ps5 and series x does not need to scale any thing. that demo was real time on a 10 teraflop machine and then latter the same demo was running a mid range laptop. nothing was scaled if that video was real.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@louixiii said:
@hardwenzen said:

He didn't see it, Epic was basically just saying they could scale the demo way down and they could get it to run at 4k/60 fps. So sure it can happen, it just would look shit compared to the demo we got.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38

@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@louixiii said:
@hardwenzen said:

omg so everything that comes out of these company's month is a lie? so series x does not have 12 teraflops because phil lies? or ps5 ssd does not have the speed of 5.5 gigs per second because all these companys sucky sucky each other and lie about every little thing.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@louixiii said:

He didn't see it, Epic was basically just saying they could scale the demo way down and they could get it to run at 4k/60 fps. So sure it can happen, it just would look shit compared to the demo we got.

um every show thats been from these game companys have been at 30 fps because of the streaming limits lately. we all thought miles was going to 1080p/30fps because the show was at 1080p/30fps but the developers said it going to be 4k/60 fps.

same as grand 7 same as many other as well. the fact is we dont know how much these developer will get from using unreal 5. but the tools are there to use. just like unreal 4 tech demo these games go way beyond it. so im sure same will be done with the unreal 5.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@louixiii said:

omg so everything that comes out of these company's month is a lie? so series x does not have 12 teraflops because phil lies? or ps5 ssd does not have the speed of 5.5 gigs per second because all these companys sucky sucky each other and lie about every little thing.

That's great n all, but i still don't see a link stating that the demo, with those visuals, is possible on a 9.2tflops system.

I don't believe it one bit.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@hardwenzen said:

um every show thats been from these game companys have been at 30 fps because of the streaming limits lately. we all thought miles was going to 1080p/30fps because the show was at 1080p/30fps but the developers said it going to be 4k/60 fps.

same as grand 7 same as many other as well. the fact is we dont know how much these developer will get from using unreal 5. but the tools are there to use. just like unreal 4 tech demo these games go way beyond it. so im sure same will be done with the unreal 5.

No, Miles will have a performance mode that's 4k/60 and a quality mode that runs 30fps and has welfare RT. Nobody thought it was 1080p, stop lying. None of what you wrote has anything to do with what Epic said, stop your silly BS.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38

@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:

That's great n all, but i still don't see a link stating that the demo, with those visuals, is possible on a 9.2tflops system.

https://wccftech.com/unreal-engine-5-deep-dive-million-hig-poly-objects-60fps-ps5/

the “Lumen in the Land of Nanite” demo ran at approximately 1440p and 30fps, but apparently, the PS5 could easily render most of it at 60fps. As we already learned, Nanite is not particularly taxing on hardware – the entire GPU rendering cost of the demo was about 4.5ms, which is about 1/4 the timeframe budget at 30fps or 1/8 at 60fps. The demo also only used a rather paltry 768MB of RAM. Despite this, the demo is pushing massive numbers of polygons – a single one of the statues seen in the demo contains 33m polygons, with most of what looks like traditional textures being actual 3D geometry made up of tiny pixel-sized polygons. The statues alone in the scene below contain 16 billion polygons.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@sealionact said:

how can't it not for both systems if this demo was running on a console? when un5 comes out to these developers im sure they be able to make a game look that good. a 12 man team in 6 months made that tech demo run on a ps5. because the tools are there. now imagine a team of 200 hundred people and 3 to 4 years of work.

Dude, you'll have to help me out here....You're talking double negatives, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:

https://wccftech.com/unreal-engine-5-deep-dive-million-hig-poly-objects-60fps-ps5/

the “Lumen in the Land of Nanite” demo ran at approximately 1440p and 30fps, but apparently, the PS5 could easily render most of it at 60fps. As we already learned, Nanite is not particularly taxing on hardware – the entire GPU rendering cost of the demo was about 4.5ms, which is about 1/4 the timeframe budget at 30fps or 1/8 at 60fps. The demo also only used a rather paltry 768MB of RAM. Despite this, the demo is pushing massive numbers of polygons – a single one of the statues seen in the demo contains 33m polygons, with most of what looks like traditional textures being actual 3D geometry made up of tiny pixel-sized polygons. The statues alone in the scene below contain 16 billion polygons.

**********************APPARENTLY************************

With every new tech, you hear the "apparently" every time, but at the end of the day, even if this demo becomes a game, that game will be severly downgraded. So yea, they didn't confirm anything, its just assumptions and hopes.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

No it did not.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Well it certainly didn’t make me mad. I thought the tech demo looked amazing and made me very hopeful for what future games will look like on both systems. However I wouldn’t say that it made me more me hyped then the Microsoft shows though. While the shows overall could have been better there were still a number of games shown that I am very hyped for. The tech demo did an adequate job of doing what it was supposed to do, getting me hyped for the potential in games in general while the Microsoft did an adequate job of getting me hyped for specific games coming to the platform.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Sure did. It sent imaginations leaping and sparking into the ionosphere. Threads and comments bobbed excitedly in its wake for days after. It was something magical to behold.

Then they sluiced down all those expectations with a big old hosing from State of Play. You could feel the aftermath from that one for days as well.

What was it all for? Hype for hype's sake? Well hype doesn't come cheap. Better hope those puddles give you a really impressive view up Spider Man's crack for that little roller coaster to have been worth it.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@hardwenzen said:

No, Miles will have a performance mode that's 4k/60 and a quality mode that runs 30fps and has welfare RT. Nobody thought it was 1080p, stop lying. None of what you wrote has anything to do with what Epic said, stop your silly BS.

so your saying next gen will never look like that tech demo even though games today surpasses the un4 tech demo? why is is welfare rt. is the series x going to use welfare ones as well? 2 teraflops are not going to magically be using full raytracing. what if 4k/60 performance mode uses ratraycing as well. we don't know how much will be in performance mode and what isn't.

but yes every one said miles will be 4k/30 or 1080p/60 from every lemmings month. but its not.

and the tech demo will never be at 60fps so your saying unreal 5 will never have games running at 60fps? it will never be as much detail as the tech demo at 60fps? ever in the history of un5?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

so your saying next gen will never look like that tech demo even though games today surpasses the un4 tech demo?

It could, It won't be 4k/60 fps... Did you even read what you responded to?

why is is welfare rt. is the series x going to use welfare ones as well? 2 teraflops are not going to magically be using full raytracing.

Both consoles will have shit RT, XSX will have less shitty but still shitty.

what if 4k/60 performance mode uses ratraycing as well.

Fucking lol.

and the tech demo will never be at 60fps

Sure could be, the demo won't look anywhere near as good at 4k/60. Learn to read.

so your saying unreal 5 will never have games running at 60fps? it will never be as much detail as the tech demo at 60fps? ever in the history of un5?

If that's what you got from what was said just stop talking about tech.

When you respond, try not to go all word salad. Stop trying to ask 20 dumb questions in your responses and make your points clear.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gifford38
@sealionact said:
@gifford38 said:
@sealionact said:

Dude, you'll have to help me out here....You're talking double negatives, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.

im saying if a team of 12 guys that took 6 months to create that demo with un5 and then with out compression and optimizing it it ran on a ps5 dev kit.

now imagine if a team of 200 or more with un5 with a series x or ps5 dev kit with a 4 year project. image what will they come up with using this new engine. thats what this engine is just like un4 a engine to create games.

you saying that only this 12 man team are the only ones that can use zbrush to bring in assets with this game engine? no they all will be able to use it.

same with lumin all games will use it in the future for there games.

all next gen games created on this game engine will be able to do what that tech demo was able to do.

because its tools that just work.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@hardwenzen said:

so your saying next gen will never look like that tech demo even though games today surpasses the un4 tech demo? why is is welfare rt. is the series x going to use welfare ones as well? 2 teraflops are not going to magically be using full raytracing. what if 4k/60 performance mode uses ratraycing as well. we don't know how much will be in performance mode and what isn't.

but yes every one said miles will be 4k/30 or 1080p/60 from every lemmings month. but its not.

and the tech demo will never be at 60fps so your saying unreal 5 will never have games running at 60fps? it will never be as much detail as the tech demo at 60fps? ever in the history of un5?

What i am saying is that THIS DEMO is not running at 60fps.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gifford38
@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

No it did not.

torm you know what i don't get. if that demo was running on that laptop in real time how come he was not walking in real time? how come when that video was still on the internet how come every movement was the same exact time frame as the ps5 demo? if he was running it in real time he be able to walk backwards or even take his time. walk around the statues in the statue room.

the movement and time was identical the tech demo.

because it was a video. how come now one noticed that? and just said haha this is real.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gifford38

@hardwenzen said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:

What i am saying is that THIS DEMO is not running at 60fps.

why not? they even re coded there unreal 5 engine to work with the ssd speeds in the ps5.

that demo they stated it was done on a pc then without optimized or compressed data they was able to run it on the ps5 dev kit. it was not compress at all. now compress it with krakken. now optimize it for the ps5 im sure that would help get it to 60fps.

so the demo they showed was not made for the ps5 nor optimizing for it and uncompressed data and it worked on the ps5 dev kit.

this is not me praising the ps5 it also for the series x and pc.

this is me praising epic and there work with the new engine. so please don't fanboy it. this is not again me praising the ps5.

epic did great with un4 and it looks like they are making a even better scaled engine for all the game machines out there with unreal5.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PC_Rocks

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

No it did not.

Yes, it did until proven otherwise.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Playstation generated more hyoe with the ps5 logo and the ps5 box.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PC_Rocks

@gifford38 said:
@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

No it did not.

torm you know what i don't get. if that demo was running on that laptop in real time how come he was not walking in real time? how come when that video was still on the internet how come every movement was the same exact time frame as the ps5 demo? if he was running it in real time he be able to walk backwards or even take his time. walk around the statues in the statue room.

the movement and time was identical the tech demo.

because it was a video. how come now one noticed that? and just said haha this is real.

Because the engineer NEVER SHOWED the demo running on his laptop. He stated that his laptop runs it at higher performance while DISCUSSING UE5 and the PS5 demo. Different things.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Did an unplayable tech demo create more hype than 30 odd game reveals?

HaH

There was more hype for avowed....and Hellblade 2 at the game awards where a real game that will look stunning was shown

3rd place causing cows mad disease