DF: Starfield Reveal Analysis and next-gen spectacle? Hmm?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

Key-points:

• Lacking any Anti-Aliasing.
  • Long distancing shadows are there.
  • Lacking reflection such as raytracing light is missing from the original teaser (minor gameplay) trailer.
  • Gunplay vastly improves from Bethesda's Fallout style.
  • Space combat looking good but as far as taking off/landing planets remains to be seen.
  • Gameplay trailer was shot at 4K/30-fps but that can be forgiving since the game is still an early build.
  • The creation model is a hit or miss.

Conclusion: I can say for a fact that John Linneman is impressed by what he seen so far even though this is an early build from the final build. The Creation Engine is indeed showing its age but at the same time, you can tell Bethesda is squeezing every ounce making it relevant to today's standard. I agree with John pointing out regarding being on your ship in space-traveling is one of the most important things I wanna see get addressed later on. With all that said, I'm looking forward to playing Starfield but still keeping my expectations low.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38122 Posts

They got so much shit with F76 because of their engine alone, and they're still using it in their 2023 titles. I just don't get it, but then i remember god damn Fromsoft and their relic engine. Its time for y'all to upgrade to the UE5. ITS TIME.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

The rendering and ray tracing on Todd Howard was impressive. He still looked too robotic though

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

If digital foundry are impressed then the game is impressive.

I did notice one thing about this game and I have no doubt it wlli be the same with ES6 and Fallout 5

None of them are on PlayStation 🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

This game looks like it would be fine.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts
@davillain said:
Loading Video...

Key-points:

• Lacking any Anti-Aliasing.
  • Long distancing shadows are there.
  • Lacking reflection such as raytracing light is missing from the original teaser (minor gameplay) trailer.
  • Gunplay vastly improves from Bethesda's Fallout style.
  • Space combat looking good but as far as taking off/landing planets remains to be seen.
  • Gameplay trailer was shot at 1080p/30-fps but that can be forgiving since the game is still an early build.
  • The creation model is a hit or miss.

Conclusion: I can say for a fact that John Linneman is impressed by what he seen so far even though this is an early build from the final build. The Creation Engine is indeed showing its age but at the same time, you can tell Bethesda is squeezing every ounce making it relevant to today's standard. I agree with John pointing out regarding being on your ship in space-traveling is one of the most important things I wanna see get addressed later on. With all that said, I'm looking forward to playing Starfield but still keeping my expectations low.

cheezus, ive heard this comment again and again, what the heck is with low expectations BS.

Plus John Linneman is one of the biggest cows out there. I take what he says with a grain of salt.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Game design looks good but performance seems the more concerning aspect, hopefully that will see improvement with time.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I thought it looked good enough for me to enjoy it.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6846 Posts

Bethesda hasn't had a technical showpiece since Skyrim. Every game since then has been below average from a technical standpoint. Why is this surprising people?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts

@davillain: Small correction. The gameplay was 4K/30 but the part with Todd was in 1080p.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

@Zero_epyon: Thanks. Corrected that in the OP. As for Todd, it wasn't 16x the details.

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

cheezus, ive heard this comment again and again, what the heck is with low expectations BS.

Plus John Linneman is one of the biggest cows out there. I take what he says with a grain of salt.

What's the problem keeping low expectations? There are games I'm super duper hype in which case I've been following and games such as this are gonna take low expectations but either well, I'll play it day one.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1633 Posts

The game lacking reflections isn't ray tracing. It's screen space reflections (SSR) that seem to be missing. Fallout 76 has SSR, so I'm assuming this will have this in the final build.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7146 Posts

Cant wait for the modding community to get a hold of this one. So much fun to be had.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

Honestly, the game is a long way off still, so I think it's way too early to be so critical. It definitely looked like it was running at <30 fps, though, so hopefully that improves (though, again...video might have been compressed or downgraded or whatever I don't know).

With that said...historically their games have always been a bit of a letdown visually. What really bugs me is you got little ol' studios that make games like ArmA or Escape from Tarkov and they make these amazing maps with huge environments and view distance and still manage to be detailed....

...then you have big massive Bethesda using whatever they use.

It's not so much that it's bad, it should just be so much better. I guess blame console hardware for slowing us down?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

@mrbojangles25: The thing is that Bethesda games are more than just big maps but their systems and branches. I believe it is the core reason for them sticking with what "works" and that the popularity of their games are the sum of their parts.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

While the gunplay looks improved it still looked bad in comparison to other new games. They need to clean that up. Good news is they have plenty of time.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Only the hardcore bots have high expectations. The rest of the world is like meh. Why would you hype something average?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

It didn’t look too impressive, but next to Fallout 4 it’s mindblowing lol! But I feel this game is not that graphics dependent. Key is if there are fun things to do and especially if exploring feels rewarding rather than repetetive. Hard to say without playing…

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

@Sushiglutton: I agree with you. It’s the exploring that is going to make or break this game for me. If the demo was running on an xbx then i am not worried about the performance but if that was on a PC i would be nervous.

I currently get steady 40s in SC (yes occasionally big drops when server is full)

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@Mozelleple112: If this was a timed exclusive like Sony wanted you Sony fanboys would be hyped about Starfield. 😂

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@blaznwiipspman1: Only the hardcore bots have high expectations. The rest of the world is like meh. Why would you hype something average?

Exactly

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

@xhawk27: Not true at all. If it was a timed exclusive they’d still crap all over it until the day it launched on PS5. Then they’d hype it up and claim “the better version.”

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

@Ibacai said:

While the gunplay looks improved it still looked bad in comparison to other new games. They need to clean that up. Good news is they have plenty of time.

Yup, it's the no 1 issue they need to adress imho. They need to change how enemies react to being hit.

Or does being in space negate feeling pain from bullets?

In space nobody can hear you scream...

Because bullets don't hurt you for some reason.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

@davillain: ref the transition between space and ground this is supposedly a cutscene of some description, there was a post reveal interview where this was stated, there were some threads on the starfield reddit ref this, biggest question that raised was a lack of atmospheric flight implied by such an omission and therefore how is planetary exploration impacted.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

@xhawk27: Yeah, no. We don't hype garbage lol.