Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

Been a long time since I done one of these but here we are:

The rundown:

• Base PS4 & Xbox One performance hits at a critical low. (Avoid of possible)
  • PS4 Pro fairs at best but still dips on framerates & Xbox One X runs alright at times but still drops on framerates.
  • The slowdowns is clearly from CPU performance with PS4 having the slowest CPU, and the XBOX One X having the fastest CPU.

Conclusion: PC version wins, nothing new their. This clearly tells us base consoles hardware have reach their limits and out of date. Time to release next-gen consoles as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

On the X I had only one fight that I noticed the frame rate dip, but every time I return from the menus to the game, for 3 seconds or so, it's a mess. Base consoles seem unplayable. I think it's the first game where I really felt this gen is at its limit. Even the potato ray tracing looks quite nice, and the level of destruction is great.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

No wonder the people at the company mass sold their stocks.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11620 Posts

So it's buggy and runs poorly. Typical Remedy.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

Terrible on console. I am not happy with the PC version either. It suffers from blur and artifacts like Quantum Blur. Remedy's Northlight Engine is shit IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

There was a resetera thread of posters sharing their experience with the game on various consoles BEFORE the Digital Foundry analysis came out. There were dozens of posters, including game developers, that claimed they didn’t see a single framerate dip even on base consoles. This really made me think about a couple of things.

1 - How many gamers really know what framerate dips look/feel like?

2 - Outside of console wars, is Digital Foundry’s analysis necessary?

Control dips into the teens, yet people didn’t notice until Digital Foundry told them. Are the “hardcore” gamers on these boards really the casuals?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@davillain- said:

Been a long time since I done one of these but here we are:

Loading Video...

The rundown:

• Base PS4 & Xbox One performance hits at a critical low. (Avoid of possible)
  • PS4 Pro fairs at best but still dips on framerates & Xbox One X runs alright at times but still drops on framerates.
  • The slowdowns is clearly from CPU performance with PS4 having the slowest CPU, and the XBOX One X having the fastest CPU.

Conclusion: PC version wins, nothing new their. This clearly tells us base consoles hardware have reach their limits and out of date. Time to release next-gen consoles as it is.

It sure is I enjoy my PS4 but damn the thing is so underpowered. I'm primary a PC gamer but still this gen has gone on way to long.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44304 Posts

I’ll be getting this on the Xbox One S and honestly I’m not really sure how much of this will bother or even if I’ll really notice some of the drops in frame rates. From past experiences with other games that had frame rate drops it typically wasn’t something that bothered me much or even noticed.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#9 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

There was a resetera thread of posters sharing their experience with the game on various consoles BEFORE the Digital Foundry analysis came out. There were dozens of posters, including game developers, that claimed they didn’t see a single framerate dip even on base consoles. This really made me think about a couple of things.

1 - How many gamers really know what framerate dips look/feel like?

2 - Outside of console wars, is Digital Foundry’s analysis necessary?

Control dips into the teens, yet people didn’t notice until Digital Foundry told them. Are the “hardcore” gamers on these boards really the casuals?

Some people are oblivious and most casuals don't really care about quality. That is why consoles are successful. People also have different tolerances for performance issues. I have a low tolerance and don't even like a steady 30fps and avoid playing games with anything less than 60fps. Console exclusives are the only games where I battle through the poor performance because I have no other way to play them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator

@BassMan said:

Terrible on console. I am not happy with the PC version either. It suffers from blur and artifacts like Quantum Blur. Remedy's Northlight Engine is shit IMO.

I was really piss that Remedy still wants to force gamers using Motion Blur and for a company that knows about PC hardware, you think they learned about this crap by now.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

The One X always outputting at max resolution is pretty damn stupid. I wish I could turn the setting to 1080p like on PS4.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Apparently the PC version isn't the best performance-wise, but this is still a wait from me due to being Epic exclusive atm.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@lundy86_4 said:

Apparently the PC version isn't the best performance-wise, but this is still a wait from me due to being Epic exclusive atm.

RTX 2070/Ryzen 2700X, I'm getting 50-60fps and running at 1440p, DLSS on, Raytracing on except for the two shadow options, (show reflections and debris stuff on) but for me, game runs and look beautiful. Only issue I notice is a tiny stutter here and there, but that’s it.

But for others, Control is a poorly optimized game with or without Ray-tracing and by the time it comes to Steam, it should be optimize to enjoy, so you aren't missing much.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@davillain-: DLSS I think helps out with frames (at least with SotTR,) but I did see videos dropping pretty hard. I'm gonna be struggling at 4K, but I may have upgraded by then :P

Good to hear that you're enjoying the game. I wasn't hyped at all for the game, but it does look cool and worthy of a buy.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

DLSS u downgrade the quality pretty badly, would avoid at all cost.

But in general PC version is also a mess tho.

Did some testing the other day.

Loading Video...

U get like 40 fps lows at 1440p on ultra settings ( no rtx ), barely holds 64 low fps at 1080p with a 1080 ti in the hours i played the game

Game looks grainy as hell no way to get rid of it, motion blur everywhere. And even the LOD is wonky as hell, a lot of things blur out at x distance, the dark enviroment is simple not enticing also.

In my opinion the game looks just straight up bad really.

Also microstutter is not addressed which clearly showcases its the same janky engine they push out before and even gsync doesn't seem to filter it.

I agree no wonder they sold there stock.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17445 Posts

I stopped using DLSS a while ago because it is crappy and blurry. Nvidia's new freestyle adaptive sharpening filter works wonders. Amazingly, nvidia rendered their own tech useless. I run 2080ti 1440p with all settings max including rtx (except the rtx indirect volume lighting) and get a steady 55-60fps and it's almost as good as 4k....and far better than DLSS.

Also, if you run rtx contact shadows, turn off the crappy ssao.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I saw people complaining about the dips before this. Also, I'm not sure if you are trying to discredit the criticism DF is laying out here, but if you are there is no way you should defend dips into the teens - that's flat out awful. I'm not a 144hz nut or something, but dips into the teens hit you in the face like a bat. A whole different ball game from the "is stable 30fps good enough" debates.