Devil May Cry fans destroy brand out of spite

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

The monkeys at Capcom are blaming the fans for killing the franchise and that we brought this by ourself. And not only that... They say the fans revolted only because they dared to change Dante's hair color.   :lol:

BTW, the game hasn't even sold a third of what DMC4 sold by the same time-frame and with a much lower fanbase. :lol:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/02/05/are-fans-to-blame-for-lower-than-expected-dmc-sales/

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

The monkeys at Capcom are blaming the fans

Gue1

MCV is, not Capcom.

Anyway, I don't really care. Make a I game I want(DMC 5), and I'll buy it. I am not obligated to buy every game on the market, nor to blame when it fails. That's the Pub/Devs problem.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.ShadowDeathX
:cry: waaaaaaaaaah but..but...teh white hair!!!!!! :cry:
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.mems_1224

The fact that the guy in charge of Ninja Theory changed Dante to look like himself is much more stupid than the white hair thing. That would be something more worthwhile to complain about.

just to give my thoughts as someone yet to delve into the series.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts
The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.ShadowDeathX
DMC fans are a bunch of oversensitive ***** . bu bu bu the old dante was so much cooler. :cry: At the end of the day, they're the ones that are going to suffer just like the Megaman "fans"... no more dmc for you bro. :)
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

It was an employee for MCV who said that.

TBH, i'm loving the hell out of the game!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.DJ-Lafleur

The fact that the guy in charge of Ninja Theory changed Dante to look like himself is much more stupid than the white hair thing. That would be something more worthwhile to complain about.

so what? the dude that designed adam jensen in the last deus ex game designed adam to look like himself. didnt make the game any less awesome.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

The sad thing is that the sales have NOTHING to do with the quality of the game, but instead one pathetic fanbase's unwillingness to accept change.

If you're willing to accept the existence of Devil May Cry 2, and accept the laziness behind DMC4, then this new game shouldn't be an issue.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

They're right. DMC turned out to be a great game but the fans still hate it.

tumblr_lyhk8goi2j1r32vmt.png

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Oh, so all they changed was teh hair color? They didn't change a stellar deep combat system to button mashing? change the story? change everything but character names?

Lmao, Glad it flopped :) Better of dead than desicrated.

The only people who "love" the game are n00bs and PC gamers who are happy to get console leftovers.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Honestly the game is good fun. Not the best game ever made but it's a fun game to play 

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.DJ-Lafleur

It was Capcom who changed it. Ninja Theory wanted to make a Devil May Cry sequel and keep Dante's original style. Capcom said no, created a new Dante, and created a new Universe for that Dante.
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Douevenlift_bro

See this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23c_HDPo7Y

THAT is Devil May Cry. Bring that back or rot in obscurity.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShadowDeathX

Oh, so all they changed was teh hair color? They didn't change a stellar deep combat system to button mashing? change the story? change everything but character names?

Douevenlift_bro
Different universe though. You can call it a spin-off if it makes you feel any better.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I am happy to see that fans rejected that garbage.

Unfortunately they didnt reject RE6.  Oh well, it was a good start.  

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]

ShadowDeathX

Different universe though. You can call it a spin-off if it makes you feel any better.

Let's call it that and then change the character names and name of the game. That'll be greeaaattt

Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
DontGetBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DontGetBigIdeas
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts
I think it's funny that fans didn't like what was being offered, so they didn't buy it and are being called the bad guys in this. Like the developer is entitled to sales because it's a brand name? If you don't like something, don't buy it. Fans did just that and Capcom should take notice of it.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4

I am happy to see that fans rejected that garbage.

Unfortunately they didnt reject RE6.  Oh well, it was a good start.  

Fizzman

Garbage? It's definitely a change from the others, but it's hardly garbage. The story is far more coherent, though there have been some changes:

[spoiler] addition of Nephilim, and making Dante's mother an Angel, etc. [/spoiler] It's also much more appealing.

The gameplay is quite similar to DMC4, and higher difficulty levels call for much more variety in your weapons and abilities. I do find that it's far slower, and Devil Trigger only adds to this, by slowing time drastically.

All in all, it's a great reboot to the series, and I hope Ninja Theory really work on excelling in the combat for the next game (assuming there is one).

----

Have you played it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Douevenlift_bro

All I ever see is super good players complaining about the new combos or combat. Honestly when I played Devil May Cry in the past I always stuck to the basic combos because it was daunting to get really good at it. 

It's just me but the new system, while very dumbed down, fits an audience like myself who don't have the time or desire to be really really good at it. I just want to sit down and play and not have to think much. 

I understand the hate for the combat but it's not that bad. You want good combat then play DMC 3 or 4. They're still there

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4

I think it's funny that fans didn't like what was being offered, so they didn't buy it and are being called the bad guys in this. Like the developer is entitled to sales because it's a brand name? If you don't like something, don't buy it. Fans did just that and Capcom should take notice of it.DontGetBigIdeas

The criticism of the fans was from an MCV employee, who wrote the article that this one references.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Douevenlift_bro

seanmcloughlin

All I ever see is super good players complaining about the new combos or combat. Honestly when I played Devil May Cry in the past I always stuck to the basic combos because it was daunting to get really good at it. 

It's just me but the new system, while very dumbed down, fits an audience like myself who don't have the time or desire to be really really good at it. I just want to sit down and play and not have to think much. 

I understand the hate for the combat but it's not that bad. You want good combat then play DMC 3 or 4. They're still there

Well then so you're not surprised real DMC fans hated the game..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I think it's funny that fans didn't like what was being offered, so they didn't buy it and are being called the bad guys in this. Like the developer is entitled to sales because it's a brand name? If you don't like something, don't buy it. Fans did just that and Capcom should take notice of it.DontGetBigIdeas

They are being a bit dumb about it, it's like they expected it to sell really well cos it was DMC and then got mad cos it didn't. It's a bit childish. 

What is more dumb though is fans on metacritic voting the game down without even playing it just because it's different

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
I'm still going to get it someday when it goes on sale.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Well they should just stop making Devil May Cry then.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GD1551

Douevenlift_bro

How many of you chumps can even do anything close to that?

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
The new DMC was amazing. Thank god for it. Stuck up fans need to get over themselves. Apart from DMC1 and 3, DMC has been complete trash. This new DMC got the combat right, made likeable characters, and had a story that wasnt nonsensical. Fanboys are just mad he aint got white hair and isnt an emo douchetard anymore. DMC needs new fans IMO.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Well, it least it went out on a high note. Can't wait to see what ninja theory do next.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Never played DMC games, general lack of interest in its genre on my part so can't comment much, but I like this way of thinking:

Its almost almost! as if some people think game publishers are entitled to sales regardless of whether or not customers particularly care for the product.

While it's possible there are many whiners included in this whole story (we gamers have plenty of whiners among our ranks), dev's attitude of blaming "spiteful fans" isn't exactly a smart one, and can only serve to further alienate the fanbase.

EDIT: Just noticed I misread the article, the part about "spiteful fans" doesn't come from the devs, but still, I strongly disagree with the gaming journalists operating within this corporate apologist mindset.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Douevenlift_bro

GD1551

Can't but that's like saying why do people play Ninja Gaiden to get punished? It's the thrill of trying to get better. We all saw what happened to NGIII aswell lol

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

seanmcloughlin

So wait, because you are an average DMC player and don't want to invest the time needed to learn and perform all the beastly deep combos the series is known for, old fans should just accept this new dumbed down reboot and be happy with it or be stuck playing the old games they've already played?

Old fans of the series shouldn't be mad not be graced with a new entry that expands upon the great deep gameplay they've come to expect? That's some attitude. You say you understand the hate and then brush off why people are mad by saying they should just go back and play old games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Ugh...

If I am to be honest, it's actually a pretty fun game.  And the content would be pretty cringe worthy, if it wasn't so over the top.  They intentionally made the characters like that, so much so that I think they did it to intentionally piss people off.  For example, you can see that when the **** white wig comes out of nowhere.

So the gameplay is fun, no more no less, but everything else is just... stupid.  If I don't want a challenging action game, i'll play god of War, which has amazing content.  Not this pile of crap.  The whole game feels like it was just a slap in the face to the fans of the Capcom of old.

People, really just need to stop feeding this POS company and make them do something drastic.  They don't have the power of activision or EA, so it's possible.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sucks for all the whiners who neglect to play a great hack and slash game over a cosmetic change. I have played and loved every DMC game (except the non existant DMC2) including this one.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FlamesOfGrey

Sucks for all the whiners who neglect to play a great hack and slash game over a cosmetic change. I have played and loved every DMC game (except the non existant DMC2) including this one.

BPoole96
Except most of the recent complaints aren't about Dante's new **** look. Gamers are mad at the dumbed down combo system, lower FPS and other gameplay elements that are inferior to the previous entries in the series.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Douevenlift_bro

Can't but that's like saying why do people play Ninja Gaiden to get punished? It's the thrill of trying to get better. We all saw what happened to NGIII aswell lol

NG3 wasn't a reboot, and the combat was literally automatic (I beat the demo with my eyes closed mashing square), on the other hand DMC is a reboot, but going beyond that I know many people who are complaining the loudest cannot even do 10% of the sh!t in those videos, Now I am not saying to throw out the old mechanics, because I think NT and Capcom had room to make it more accessible and retain most of the depth, but I just can't stand when people whine about the core mechanics when they can't even use them to their fullest. I mean how many of you really sit down and practice DMC combos like those guys? Let's be honest here.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#37 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Whatever, The character Dante is even more bland now than he was before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

FlamesOfGrey

So wait, because you are an average DMC player and don't want to invest the time needed to learn and perform all the beastly deep combos the series is known for, old fans should just accept this new dumbed down reboot and be happy with it or be stuck playing the old games they've already played?

Old fans of the series shouldn't be mad not be graced with a new entry that expands upon the great deep gameplay they've come to expect? That's some attitude. You say you understand the hate and then brush off why people are mad by saying they should just go back and play old games.

I didn't say that, or even mean it. I'm saying that there is a market for this type of DMC out there and it met that market, but it's just not big enough it seems and it's not the worst game ever. bad games come along in a series from time to time. When you reboot a series you automatically start getting eyeballed and it's always gonna be hit or miss. 

I admire them for at least trying to reinvent the games, another one of the exact same Dante in the exact same story (it's always the exact same story every single time too) would have been just as boring. 

And let's not forget this isn't the first bad DMC game, DMC 2 was fvcking awful (actually it's worse than the new one as a whole) and look what we got after it, the best DMC in existence. This might not have been the best, but it's not the worst either. People need to get over it

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

NG3 wasn't a reboot, and the combat was literally automatic (I beat the demo with my eyes closed mashing square), on the other hand DMC is a reboot, but going beyond that I know many people who are complaining the loudest cannot even do 10% of the sh!t in those videos, Now I am not saying to throw out the old mechanics, because I think NT and Capcom had room to make it more accessible and retain most of the depth, but I just can't stand when people whine about the core mechanics when they can't even use them to their fullest. I mean how many of you really sit down and practice DMC combos like those guys? Let's be honest here.

I did for DMC 1 & 3. :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Ugh...

If I am to be honest, it's actually a pretty fun game.  And the content would be pretty cringe worthy, if it wasn't so over the top.  They intentionally made the characters like that, so much so that I think they did it to intentionally piss people off.  For example, you can see that when the **** white wig comes out of nowhere.

So the gameplay is fun, no more no less, but everything else is just... stupid.  If I don't want a challenging action game, i'll play god of War, which has amazing content.  Not this pile of crap.  The whole game feels like it was just a slap in the face to the fans of the Capcom of old.

People, really just need to stop feeding this POS company and make them do something drastic.  They don't have the power of activision or EA, so it's possible.

Chozofication

IMO they needed to keep the characters way over the top more. Having Dante act and say stupid sh!t would have worked if they didn't have him doing heart to hearts with Vergil after. It brough a balance, but it wasn't needed. If everything was just dumb fun then it would have worked a lot more. 

That's why shadows of the damned works so well, because it doesn't take itself too seriously and has a lot of fun with how dumb it is sometimes

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

You still don't make sense.. So because not every player is an expert then you butcher the combat system for a much simpler less rewarding one? Most DMC players are good enough to know the difference between a good combat system and trash in comparison.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The game was very good. Poor thing that gamers nowadays don't like good games.Pete-B
DMC fans are a bunch of oversensitive ***** . bu bu bu the old dante was so much cooler. :cry: At the end of the day, they're the ones that are going to suffer just like the Megaman "fans"... no more dmc for you bro. :)

What's with the quotations over Megaman "fans"?

Just curious.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4

Whatever, The character Dante is even more bland now than he was before.

LegatoSkyheart

I actually found his character progression to be far better in DmC comparative to DMC1 through 4. The originals put far more importance on the gameplay, and as such, the story suffered. This game tries to at least get both to be passable. The gameplay will be drastically worse for the top 5% of DMC gamers.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] :cry: waaaaaaaaaah but..but...teh white hair!!!!!! :cry:mems_1224

so what? the dude that designed adam jensen in the last deus ex game designed adam to look like himself. didnt make the game any less awesome.

I'm not saying DmC is bad, I haven't played it. And yes Deus Ex: HR is great. I am mostly talking about Dante here.

And Adam Jensen was a new character I believe, while Dante was an iconic character before DmC, so in DmC Dante's case it is a bit more silly.

Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Douevenlift_bro

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Douevenlift_bro"]Can't but that's like saying why do people play Ninja Gaiden to get punished? It's the thrill of trying to get better. We all saw what happened to NGIII aswell lol

FlamesOfGrey

I did for DMC 1 & 3. :D

So did I lol

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

People here need to realize most of the complains about the game weren't about the hair. If you still honestly believe that, you're stupid and you're ignoring all the legitmate complaints. I've played the game and I find it to just be okay. Not amazing but not as bad as other think it is. That said, I can understand the complaints and even agree with most of them. So stop choosing to be stupid, look into the real complaints and stop thinking it's all about the white hair or the old Dante.

Also TC, capcom didn't say that, MCV did.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I didn't say that, or even mean it. I'm saying that there is a market for this type of DMC out there and it met that market, but it's just not big enough it seems and it's not the worst game ever. bad games come along in a series from time to time. When you reboot a series you automatically start getting eyeballed and it's always gonna be hit or miss. 

I admire them for at least trying to reinvent the games, another one of the exact same Dante in the exact same story (it's always the exact same story every single time too) would have been just as boring. 

And let's not forget this isn't the first bad DMC game, DMC 2 was fvcking awful (actually it's worse than the new one as a whole) and look what we got after it, the best DMC in existence. This might not have been the best, but it's not the worst either. People need to get over it

I haven never seen any DMC Fan say anything good about DMC 2. That game is hated with a passion and rightfully so. DMC 2 is trash and while this new DMC is better, being better then a game that is absolute **** isn't a good feat. The complaints about new Dante's look are whatever. The complaints about the new combat, lower FPS, new story etc... are all valid and the fact that people are trying to blame core DMC fans for not supporting an inferior experience is pretty laughable.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

FlamesOfGrey

Except most of the recent complaints aren't about Dante's new **** look. Gamers are mad at the dumbed down combo system, lower FPS and other gameplay elements that are inferior to the previous entries in the series.

I still don't get why people here don't realize that. :| I seriously expect better from some people here. The keyword is some of course since I should expect this kind of thing to come from low level trolls.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

GD1551

I'd guess about 1% of players from previous DMC games can even manage any of those combos in that video. People just love to b!tch about it even though they probably never went up passed Demon Hunter mode on previous DMC games.

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

The new DMC was amazing. Thank god for it. Stuck up fans need to get over themselves. Apart from DMC1 and 3, DMC has been complete trash. This new DMC got the combat right, made likeable characters, and had a story that wasnt nonsensical. Fanboys are just mad he aint got white hair and isnt an emo douchetard anymore. DMC needs new fans IMO.II_Seraphim_II

Word. 

I never particularly cared about the old DMC. Finished the first one, gave up on the 3rd and 4 looked uninteresting and lame. DMC needs new fans and I'm glad Ninja Theory finally got it right and Capcom finally made a game this gen that I enjoyed quite a bit, (maybe they will roll a 2 with Remember Me). I'm looking forward to the sequel.