Detective Pikachu is the best video game movie ever made.

• 100 results
#51 Posted by PSP107 (17443 posts) -

@mazuiface said:

@PSP107: The whole point with the MK story though is that it is not taking itself very seriously. It's intentionally cheesy

Yeah but they did a good job with MK9 story. It was a retelling of MK1-3.

#52 Posted by KungfuKitten (26430 posts) -

Now I want to go see it.

#53 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

That title definitely goes to tomb Raider... whichever one.

#54 Posted by FinalFighters (3146 posts) -

of course you would like it..

#55 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Max Payne, says hello. :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#56 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@mazuiface said:

@PSP107: The whole point with the MK story though is that it is not taking itself very seriously. It's intentionally cheesy

Yeah it's good fun, and ummm comparing it to disney/marvel is a huge compliment.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#57 Posted by storm_of_swords (2749 posts) -

No.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is the best video game movie ever.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
#58 Posted by OniLordAsmodeus (337 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I agree. The animated SF2 move may be the best...right behind the 1995 MK movie. :o)

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#59 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4360 posts) -

I actually saw it. It's not bad, but I think it needed a couple of more passes in the writing department. I'm not a Pokemon fan at all and know nothing about it but the absolute basics, so maybe I wasn't as nitpicky. This movie completely owes its life to Zootopia and Roger Rabbit though, because a lot of what's there seems super familiar in that aspect.

Maybe it is the best since it seems to be a fully realized attempt at its source concept, but video game movies still have a long way to go before being proper cinematic material.

#60 Posted by UItravioIence (1175 posts) -

Lol pokemon

#61 Posted by PSP107 (17443 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: "and ummm comparing it to disney/marvel is a huge compliment."

I personally find these movies boring. Black Panther was actually good though.

#62 Posted by Jacanuk (18283 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:

It really is. Terrific from start to finish.

Good for you that you feel that way so you didn´t waste an hour and 30 min of your life on something that you didn´t like.

#63 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Good for you that you feel that way so you didn´t waste an hour and 30 min of your life on something that you didn´t like.

I mean, it's a gamble. And hardly a waste even if I didn't like it.

#64 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: "and ummm comparing it to disney/marvel is a huge compliment."

I personally find these movies boring. Black Panther was actually good though.

That's fine, but there is a standard of quality all throughout. Granted they vary greatly, but the audience and critical acclaim are unheard of for such a long and ongoing project/experiment.

#65 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@uitravioience said:

Lol pokemon

lol comment

See how asinine that is?

#66 Posted by Jacanuk (18283 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

I mean, it's a gamble. And hardly a waste even if I didn't like it.

True, but imagine if it was so bad that you felt it was a waste of your time. :)

But will definitely watch it when it comes on some kind of streaming service.

#67 Edited by Zaryia (8287 posts) -
@SecretPolice said:

Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Max Payne, says hello. :P

Those are all horrific lol.

@raining51 said:

That title definitely goes to tomb Raider... whichever one.

Both were pretty bad.

#68 Posted by UItravioIence (1175 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: lol pokemon

#69 Posted by uninspiredcup (32832 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:

No.

Not really based on a single video game.

But yea, as far as general "video game themed" movies go, pretty fucking good. Was honestly expecting it to suck ass.

#70 Posted by Vaasman (13639 posts) -

Perhaps so, but raising a bar off of ground level isn't that impressive on it's own.

#71 Posted by lamprey263 (36052 posts) -

I just watched it, it's okay at best. Maybe I can assume people thinking otherwise might be more pumped about a faithful use of the license but still overall just a so-so film.

#72 Posted by henrythefifth (2254 posts) -

It is rather amazing they finally managed to make genuinely good Pokemon movie. I mean have you seen any of the animated movies. Urgh....

#73 Posted by Longsnout (176 posts) -

Doesn't take much does it?

#74 Posted by VFighter (4807 posts) -

@SecretPolice: Those all suck more ass then your trolling post do.

#75 Posted by PSP107 (17443 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: "That's fine, but there is a standard of quality all throughout. Granted they vary greatly, but the audience and critical acclaim are unheard of for such a long and ongoing project/experiment."

Yeah but how can Mortal Kombat go from martial arts to military warfare?

#76 Posted by Jag85 (13370 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: The movie is based on the adventure game Detective Pikachu, which released before Zootopia. In fact, the DP game released exactly 10 days before Zootopia.

As for what inspired the game Detective Pikachu, there were reviews at the time comparing it to the anime show Detective Conan and the adventure game Ace Attorney. Ironically, Detective Pikachu got beat by Detective Conan in Japan.

As for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, that was definitely an influence on the movie's design. But not sure if it influenced the game.

#77 Edited by Litchie (23721 posts) -

Cool. Doubt it's a good movie, though.

#78 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9598 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@storm_of_swords said:

No.

But yea, as far as general "video game themed" movies go, pretty fucking good. Was honestly expecting it to suck ass.

Old jumanji feauring Robin Williams was much better than new jumanji featuring Dwayne Johnson and bunch of hipsters.

#79 Posted by SecretPolice (35108 posts) -

@vfighter: @zaryia:

As usual. lol

:P

#80 Posted by Ibacai (13803 posts) -

I’ll be the odd man out here and say the unpopular thing because I have nothing better to do right now. :D

It’s not a Pokémon movie.

It’s not, it’s a Ryan Reynolds movie with a Pokémon rapping. Which is the smartest thing they could have done because the source material isn’t enough to stand alone as a movie. But that’s true for a lot of video games and isn’t meant as a slight.

It’s pretty good. Solid 7/10

#81 Posted by N64DD (11687 posts) -

Goldeneye was the best. It even spawned a movie...talk about life imitating art!

#82 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36087 posts) -

Took my family last night. We loved it. When the BR releases, I'm marathoning it with my other favorite VG movies.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#83 Posted by uninspiredcup (32832 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@storm_of_swords said:

No.

Old jumanji feauring Robin Williams was much better than new jumanji featuring Dwayne Johnson and bunch of hipsters.

Na, The Riock one was slightly better. Although I better the darker ton of the original.

The hunter man is very fucking scary.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#84 Posted by storm_of_swords (2749 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@storm_of_swords said:

No.

Have you actually rewatched the original Jumanji recently? It has not aged well. It's loved only for childhood nostalgia and Robin Williams, but the movie itself doesn't hold up. Welcome to the Jungle is far better.

#85 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@Ibacai said:

I’ll be the odd man out here and say the unpopular thing because I have nothing better to do right now. :D

It’s not a Pokémon movie.

It’s not, it’s a Ryan Reynolds movie with a Pokémon rapping. Which is the smartest thing they could have done because the source material isn’t enough to stand alone as a movie. But that’s true for a lot of video games and isn’t meant as a slight.

It’s pretty good. Solid 7/10

Even as a game it felt like a very smart premise. I really enjoy that it takes place in the world of pokemon, rather than being about gym badges and training, which could be super lame in a film.

#86 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Doubting thomas.

Must you see the scars on my hands to believe me?

#87 Posted by MonsieurX (39001 posts) -

Postal is still the best.

#88 Posted by uninspiredcup (32832 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@storm_of_swords said:

No.

Have you actually rewatched the original Jumanji recently? It has not aged well. It's loved only for childhood nostalgia and Robin Williams, but the movie itself doesn't hold up. Welcome to the Jungle is far better.

Ye.

Only thing better in OG was better implementation of CGI.

#89 Posted by Jag85 (13370 posts) -

@Ibacai: The source material is the adventure game Detective Pikachu, which has mostly the same story, characters and setting as the movie. So the source material is clearly strong enough to base a good movie on. But it helps that Ryan Reynolds added his own brand of humour to the mix, as well as the cyberpunk-esque visual style.

#90 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@Ibacai: The source material is the adventure game Detective Pikachu, which has mostly the same story, characters and setting as the movie. So the source material is clearly strong enough to base a good movie on. But it helps that Ryan Reynolds added his own brand of humour to the mix, as well as the cyberpunk-esque visual style.

I was upset that they didn't go with Danny Devito, BUT Reynolds did make it funnier and more relate-able, he did a great job.

#91 Posted by Jag85 (13370 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: Danny Devito apparently wasn't interested in the role, so they went with Ryan Reynolds instead.

#92 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36087 posts) -
@Jag85 said:

Definitely like how Ryme City looked like a cross between London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.

#93 Posted by SaltSlasher (1008 posts) -

Is it better or worst than Power Rangers?

Cause I figured it was that kind of story, where it isn't anything special, but likely wacky and dumb.

#94 Edited by Litchie (23721 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Litchie said:

Doubting thomas.

lulz

Make me believe a movie called "Detective Pikachu" starring Ryan Reynolds is a "good movie" will be a pretty hard task. Weird? Enjoyable? Funny? Not terrible? Sure. "A good movie"? Nah.

#95 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Litchie said:

Doubting thomas.

lulz

Make me believe a movie called "Detective Pikachu" starring Ryan Reynolds is a "good movie" will be a pretty hard task. Weird? Enjoyable? Funny? Not terrible? Sure. "A good movie"? Nah.

But how is enjoyable and not terrible also not a good movie?

#96 Posted by Litchie (23721 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: We're coming into hard to explain territory for me, since English isn't my first language. Kinda like the whole movie is a joke. Like, I appreciate that it exists, since it's funny, but it's a bad movie at the same time. Could be seen as "good" for some people, but doubt I would call it that. I don't want to be hasty, since I haven't seen it, but I have a feeling that I'd feel like it's largely a pretty bad movie that gets me to chuckle sometimes. Kinda like Dead Pool, I guess. Not sure if that's a good explanation or not..

Then there's the "so bad it's good". I laugh hard to the Mortal Kombat movies, since they're so bad. That, in a way, makes them good. But they are terrible movies. Ever seen Kung Pow? Another example of a movie I enjoy immensely, but can't really call "good". Budget is so low, it's basically just stolen scenes from another movie that are repeated several times with added sounds. But since everything bad in that movie is intentional (and funny), that makes it good in a way since it does what it tries to do.

Eh, I'm not even sure what I'm on about myself.. I will stop saying things about this movie until I've seen it. :P

#97 Posted by thehig1 (7246 posts) -
@storm_of_swords said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@storm_of_swords said:

No.

It was better, but how is that relevant to this thread.

#98 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Honestly they should definitely stop making as manyv ideo games movies as theya re now...

Consider... onced video game movies were like WHOA but the likes of Assassin's creed kinda things and so on have really degraded the meaning in amny ways....

#99 Posted by KungfuKitten (26430 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: :o someone else who appreciates Prince of Persia.

#100 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36087 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

@nintendoboy16: :o someone else who appreciates Prince of Persia.

Yep, even took my sister to go see it with me when it released in theaters. Loved it! Even the horrid acting of Ben Kingsley in it. lol