Destiny review copies going out on the day before release

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#1 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/forums/destiny/2014/9/2/6097679/a-note-from-the-reviews-editor-no-release-day-destiny-review

Bungie the terrific beyond reproach studio that they are, that have totally never under-delivered in any capacity, will not have review copies out for timely reviews.

Why make this a thread? Well in general high profile games usually offset doubt with you know, a relatively late embargo, but with Destiny it's straight up trying to avoid day one reviews. Could be because the game is mmo-lite and stuff, but that's a bunch of hokum after a certain point, if the game is supposed to be legit, why have little faith in it?

Carry on my friends.

Avatar image for Kjranu
#2 Posted by Kjranu (1748 posts) -

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

selling on hype (not merit) seems like the way to go these days.

Avatar image for RR360DD
#4 Posted by RR360DD (13697 posts) -

Not a good sign is it

Avatar image for treedoor
#5 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Console gamers don't buy games based off reviews anyways.

It's all about whether or not the game is advertised on tv.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#6 Posted by getyeryayasout (11477 posts) -

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#7 Posted by Shewgenja (19122 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

They got the open beta instead..

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

Stop making sense and get mad at Bungie. Get mad, damn you.

Avatar image for Crypt_mx
#9 Posted by Crypt_mx (4739 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

Destiny has always had been a wait and see game rather than day one. Too bad a bunch of preorderers didn't get the memo.

The pre-order let people play the Beta, if you didn't like it you could cancel the pre-order and be done with it. But lots of people still love it, myself included. My experience in the beta gave me only more faith in the final release. Destiny is one of the biggest game launches ever, its receiving just as much un-warranted hate as it is un-warranted praise.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#10 Edited by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

Avatar image for kingtito
#11 Posted by kingtito (9028 posts) -

A beta is not a review copy. You don't give full reviews based on a beta. A game of such magnitude should have early review copies sent out unless Bungie doesn't want you to know what reviewers think.

Avatar image for RoboCopISJesus
#12 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Well it's not a MMO. It's more like diablo3, path of exile, borderlands, hellgate, GW1, etc. Coop RPG.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#13 Edited by getyeryayasout (11477 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

They could have it ready to a degree, but there's no way to replicate what the game will be like when the servers are under a full load. I agree that it seems sketchy that reviewers aren't getting copies until the day before, I'm just saying that maybe there's a method to their madness.

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#14 Edited by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

That is not a good sign. Bungie however is a top tier studio so i'm not worried in the least.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#15 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Well it's not a MMO. It's more like diablo3, path of exile, borderlands, hellgate, GW1, etc. Coop RPG.

Diablo 3 (2 weeks earlier in the case of the most recent Diablo 3 expansion), Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 1 had review codes sent out earlier than the day before. Point is being tethered to online play isn't really something that doesn't have a work around in 2014. Could it be server or last minute changes they want to do? sure, I can buy that, but because it's an online experience? they could easily set that up given how many sites, magazines, and youtube channels they can send that game to.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#16 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12379 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: This might be the reason: Bungie Weekly Update

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp: This might be the reason: Bungie Weekly Update

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

Which then begs the question, why not have those servers up before hand?

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

Avatar image for silversix_
#18 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Im excited for the game but if its an epic failure ill laugh and move on. I want it to be good tho because other than Wasteland 2 there's nothing until Dragon Age

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#19 Posted by darkspineslayer (22396 posts) -

Oooh....that's never a good sign.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#20 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12379 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp: This might be the reason: Bungie Weekly Update

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

Which then begs the question, why not have those servers up before hand?

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

The only thing that comes to mind is because the launch is Sep 9, not 8 or 7 or 6.

But I don't know.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#21 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp: This might be the reason: Bungie Weekly Update

ninjadragonkllr What time will the servers be open for the public in North America and worldwide?

When it is September 9th somewhere in the world, and you have access to your very own version of Destiny, it will be time for you to create a character that will keep you company for a good, long time. Retailers will stick to time-zones. Our servers won’t know the difference. Retailers will break street date. Our servers won’t.

Which then begs the question, why not have those servers up before hand?

It's not like they wouldn't get a respectable amount of traffic that could work out the game.

The only thing that comes to mind is because the launch is Sep 9, not 8 or 7 or 6.

But I don't know.

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#22 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12379 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

"most" and "usually"

Bungie isn't turning their servers on till "it is September 9th somewhere in the world" that is the reason review copies aren't going out early to me.

Avatar image for Heil68
#23 Edited by Heil68 (57859 posts) -

I didn't like demo so I'm not getting it at all until much later on.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#24 Edited by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Review codes for most big games go out before the release date, even when they have an online component. In fact the online servers are usually up for the sake of review codes, so this doesn't exactly fly as justification.

"most" and "usually"

Bungie isn't turning their servers on till "it is September 9th somewhere in the world" that is the reason review copies aren't going out early to me.

Which again in 2014 has an easy work around, you just turn them on and send out review copies.

Avatar image for Blabadon
#25 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

They had an Alpha and Beta, I'm sure there's nothing crazy going on.

That being said, the amount of coverage certain sites like IGN are doing for it already show me which reviews not to trust.

Avatar image for Zero5000X
#26 Posted by Zero5000X (8314 posts) -

StarCraft II didn't have review copies sent out at all (reviews bought their own copies), and that game was awesome. Destiny is a game meant to be played with other people, so having reviewers play alone or with very few other people wouldn't make much sense.

Avatar image for GTSaiyanjin2
#27 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6018 posts) -

I dont see the problem with this, if you really want a fair review of the game then wait. We dont want another fiasco like what happened with BF4, where reviewers got to play the game in a controlled environment, and servers were different than what the game shipped with.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#28 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

It will still get high reviews unless they go full EA and the game doesn't work for half a year.

Avatar image for skipper847
#29 Posted by skipper847 (6958 posts) -

Game spot user score 8.3 not bad imo.

Avatar image for deadline-zero0
#30 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

selling on hype (not merit) seems like the way to go these days.

Just look at Watch Doge. In fact, marketing gets a bigger budget than the actual development nowadays anyway.

HYPE!!!!

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#31 Posted by freedomfreak (49906 posts) -

ALWAYS A GOOD SIGN

Still got this slut preordered. Got a very good friend to play it with. Hell, I played a lot of stuff with him. @wolverine4262 my GOAT.

Bring on Bungielands.

Avatar image for daious
#32 Edited by Daious (2315 posts) -

They aren't going to open a mmo type game a week in advance for people. That would require them to open the servers up for the game. Servers are offline until the 8th.

Co-op play would be non-existent. Competitive multiplayer would be non-existent.

I love how people are trying to claim bungie is hiding something.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#33 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

Incoming flop.

Avatar image for Bruin1986
#34 Posted by Bruin1986 (1629 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

MMO's that have been tethered to online play have had review codes come out way earlier than what Bungie's game is doing.

Plus let's be real, given how many review copies go out, early access to their play testers (bungie has always done this), and all that jazz: They could have had servers and online ready to go for reviewers way before a day before release.

It's obviously because they are evil and hate gamers.

They are essentially North Korea, but somehow in Washington State.

Avatar image for Bruin1986
#35 Posted by Bruin1986 (1629 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

selling on hype (not merit) seems like the way to go these days.

They have more than enough merit coming from nearly two decades of making high-quality, critically acclaimed titles repeatedly...

Avatar image for JangoWuzHere
#36 Edited by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

There is still a decent amount of content to experience without the need for online play.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#37 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@Bruin1986 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

selling on hype (not merit) seems like the way to go these days.

They have more than enough merit coming from nearly two decades of making high-quality, critically acclaimed titles repeatedly...

that merit is entirely independent of this game. many times before people have hyped games based on the pedigree of the developer.

i won't join you in making such an assumption.

Avatar image for Couth_
#38 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

Stop making sense and get mad at Bungie. Get mad, damn you.

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

Avatar image for funsohng
#39 Edited by funsohng (29858 posts) -

This whole late embargo and the late review copies thing is really not good for the industry's health.

Honest, professional, timely criticism is absolutely crucial for an entertainment industry. Even Hollywood doesn't touch this. Gaming industry really is corrupt from the inside. Something needs to change.

Avatar image for chernoalpha527
#40 Posted by chernoalpha527 (169 posts) -

This game will flop

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#41 Edited by getyeryayasout (11477 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

There is still a decent amount of content to experience without the need for online play.

It's a review though, Jango. It should be all encompassing, shouldn't it? I was listening to podcast Beyond! episode #357 from IGN last night and briefly Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller made mention of how different the experience of playing review copy online games and playing them after retail release can be. You'll have to either listen to it or take my word for it though, I've tried to find the time stamp for the 2 or 3 sentence discussion but can't, sorry.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#42 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

It's a game that's tethered to online play, I'm not sure I would really trust any day one reviews.

Stop making sense and get mad at Bungie. Get mad, damn you.

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

Whatever floats your boat, if money is an issue. Me and my Starhawk clan (the boys) are gonna no-life the hell out of it from day one.

Yehaw.

Avatar image for Icarian
#43 Posted by Icarian (1752 posts) -

No surprise there. It's basically an MMO and those take awhile to review and need bigger community playing it.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#44 Posted by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

@Basinboy I told you.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#45 Posted by lundy86_4 (48661 posts) -

I'm not overly surprised given the nature of the game. Still, that being said, I don't know i that is the reason why they are shipping review copies so late.

Avatar image for wolverine4262
#46 Posted by wolverine4262 (20831 posts) -

They must have been pretty confident to do an open beta, the reason I bought it.

Avatar image for GhoX
#47 Edited by GhoX (6267 posts) -

It doesn't really matter. The review copies are probably there just so that the reviewers get to set things up before launch. Like any other MMO, true reviewing can only start after official launch.

Avatar image for sailor232
#48 Posted by sailor232 (6763 posts) -

I was impressed they had an open beta, I wasn't too impressed with the game but it still tempts me greatly to pick it up. Having a character and getting gear and weapons is what is pulling me in.

Avatar image for Couth_
#49 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Couth_ said:

Why would anyone be mad at bungie? They clearly want to hide what many people realized in the beta. It lacks diverse content and is just not that fun in design.

LOL at 3 planets only.. Pre order cancelled. I will get it 1 or 2 years later when they include all the other planets that the day 1ers fronted money for through DLC in one nice package. Not mad at them for that. Activision has thought of a simple way to get WoW money out of a shooter. neat for them

Whatever floats your boat, if money is an issue. Me and my Starhawk clan (the boys) are gonna no-life the hell out of it from day one.

Yehaw.

It's more of a lack of comprehensiveness for me. I already got tired of Russia during just the alpha and I expect the other 3 planets to grow OLD quickly as well. I would rather have more content from the onset of my play through instead of waiting for the DLC

Avatar image for wolverine4262
#50 Posted by wolverine4262 (20831 posts) -

@freedomfreak: :oops: