DESTINY beta is live, thoughts and impressions

#351 Posted by jg4xchamp (61211 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

This game is weirdly addictive. As repetitive as I know it is I still can't wait to play more of it every night. Kind of weird.

Also **** the amount of waiting in this game, SO many load screens and everything is "hold square to"

Also Warlock for life!!

Were you addicted to either of the Borderlands games when you were playing them?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#352 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

So i thought i would test out the Share feature in the PS4 and upload something to YouTube to see the quality and man its not bad at all!

This was from yesterday in the last few minutes while playing Destiny Beta with TheEroica from GS

Loading Video...

anyone else find the enemies no fun to fight? there is no real satisfaction of the bullets landing on them like in halo

Avatar image for always_explicit
#353 Posted by always_explicit (3379 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

So i thought i would test out the Share feature in the PS4 and upload something to YouTube to see the quality and man its not bad at all!

This was from yesterday in the last few minutes while playing Destiny Beta with TheEroica from GS

Loading Video...

anyone else find the enemies no fun to fight? there is no real satisfaction of the bullets landing on them like in halo

This is actually my only complaint thus far. I never really feel particularly powerful and my enemies (thus far) dont feel particularly dangerous. Although these are minor tweaks and hopefully the community has been helpful in providing constructive feedback via the forums rather than just asking for "teh more lootz".

#354 Edited by BigBadBully (1425 posts) -

Is it boring playing solo like borderlands? I only say this because its hard to find a good group of people. Also, can't find out now, but huge issue with borderlands that might happen in destiny. Modded weapons that kill the frame rate and break the game. I constantly in borderlands 2 would have to go solo because other players ruining the experience with modded weapons.

#355 Posted by HadOne2Many (1485 posts) -

I got two extra XB1 codes, anyone need one?

#356 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16678 posts) -

Nice to see some positive impressions from the Microsoft console front.

I told you we weren't crazy, it's a good game.

#357 Posted by ironcreed (14180 posts) -

I'll go ahead and echo how addictive it is. I love scouting out in the distance and seeing others in a tough fight from a nice perch. Then I just whip out the old sniper rifle and start helping to thin the herd. Just good stuff. On top of that, there is bad ass gear, incredible atmosphere and the gameplay feels absolutely amazing.

#359 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

This game is weirdly addictive. As repetitive as I know it is I still can't wait to play more of it every night. Kind of weird.

Also **** the amount of waiting in this game, SO many load screens and everything is "hold square to"

Also Warlock for life!!

Were you addicted to either of the Borderlands games when you were playing them?

Nope, I dislike those games.

#360 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

Yay back up. Finally got through Devil's Lair, which seem like a decent raid (the 3 waves part was pretty instense). And least solo wise, I been enjoying destiny more than borderlands. Setting is more interesting and feels more fun, so I probably would still enjoy it more even on co-op.

#361 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Also Warlock for life!!

+1

Those games are fucking generic crap.

#362 Edited by super600 (32334 posts) -

I played the beta of this game a bit on my 360 and it's great, but I hate how you have to hold a certain button to talk to characters,trigger an event and get past some menus at times.I also hate the amount of loading screens in the beta.

#363 Edited by jg4xchamp (61211 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Hmm well that might destroy my theory of you enjoying it for compulsive loot reasons. Because like Borderlands there is no real mastery/expertise to the encounter design, it's just go forward, waves of enemies, shoot shit+loot.

The major difference is that the weapons actually give more obvious differences in feeling, the moment to moment shooting itself just feels better, and fundamentally speaking the enemies themselves feel better to fight because they aren't just "hi im gonna run at you so you can shoot me in the face" (unless they are the hive, but that works in contrast to the fallen). So might just be the core mechanics getting you over the hump.

Personally that stuff is fine (though PVP is trash), and the coop PVE is a delightful time. The actual exploring and encounter design? straight up pathetic if the full game is just more beta.

#364 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

Hmm well that might destroy my theory of you enjoying it for compulsive loot reasons. Because like Borderlands there is no real mastery/expertise to the encounter design, it's just go forward, waves of enemies, shoot shit+loot.

People have said their loot system is like Borderlands but better because it's not as cluttered. You get a better weapon you dismantle the old.

#365 Posted by jg4xchamp (61211 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

People have said their loot system is like Borderlands but better because it's not as cluttered. You get a better weapon you dismantle the old.

Eh, you get less loot in general. Like in contrast you aren't getting loot as often. But the payoff is majority of the time the loot actually has felt like an upgrade. It's not like Pistol type A 40 times, and shotgun 46 on the 41st try that you might want to use.

#366 Posted by AdobeArtist (24337 posts) -

So with the Beta back online, I decided to start with a new class, the Hunter. I previously played as a Titan, and a Warlock in the Alpha (both fully leveled up to 8). And now I can really see what all the hype is about. Hunter's Golden Gun and knife throw are totally BOSS!! :D Something I wonder if others have observed. I activated the Golden Gun when using a scout rifle, a pistol materials. But does the GG last longer is activated when armed with a hand cannon? It sorta looked that way to me, but not sure.

Oh and I did find something else you all might find of interest (maybe some of you already know this); the vault stash is universal and shared with all your characters. On a hunch, before starting the new play I loaded up my Titan and stashed all my best weapons. Then when starting with my Hunter, as soon as I reached the Tower I went to the vault and sure enough they were all there waiting for me :)

Of course I have to wait to reach level 8 again so I can equip them, but they are real good arms and already fully leveled up. It even occurs to me you can share resources like that spinmetal grass this way, storing them in the vault.

#367 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

i like the single player/fireteam stuff...i just dont like the pvp. at this point i think im pretty burnt out from mp

#368 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Three lousy shots no matter what gun you have equipped.

#369 Posted by AdobeArtist (24337 posts) -

@Zen_Light said:

I see. But actually, those are 3 powerful shots. Just gotta make them count.

#370 Posted by ironcreed (14180 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Thanks for the info on the Vault being shared between characters. I plan to create a Warlock tomorrow, but I am pretty sure that I will still go with Hunter first when I get the game. I just want to be certain.

#371 Posted by Ghost120x (5138 posts) -

Anyone think the pvp is broken? The vehicles are way too over powered imo once you get in them it's easy to rack up a 10 kill steak and swarm around the bases for an easy win. It seems like which ever team controls the vehicles first wins. The only chance you can really destroy them is with your super charge.

#372 Edited by Snugenz (13388 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

So with the Beta back online, I decided to start with a new class, the Hunter. I previously played as a Titan, and a Warlock in the Alpha (both fully leveled up to 8). And now I can really see what all the hype is about. Hunter's Golden Gun and knife throw are totally BOSS!! :D Something I wonder if others have observed. I activated the Golden Gun when using a scout rifle, a pistol materials. But does the GG last longer is activated when armed with a hand cannon? It sorta looked that way to me, but not sure.

Oh and I did find something else you all might find of interest (maybe some of you already know this); the vault stash is universal and shared with all your characters. On a hunch, before starting the new play I loaded up my Titan and stashed all my best weapons. Then when starting with my Hunter, as soon as I reached the Tower I went to the vault and sure enough they were all there waiting for me :)

Of course I have to wait to reach level 8 again so I can equip them, but they are real good arms and already fully leveled up. It even occurs to me you can share resources like that spinmetal grass this way, storing them in the vault.

The shared vault is a great addition alright, i havn't tried it yet but i think you can share ships (sparrow and spaceship) between characters also so if you can that's a hefty saving right there.

My only big (non)issue with the beta atm is the level cap, i've got a vault full of level 9 and level 10 blue weps and armor, and it's driving me insane that i won't get to try em out lol.

Oh and a tip for anyone still leveling the classes, take all the (PVE) bounties at level 6 and you'll fly to level 8.

#373 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -
@AdobeArtist said:

@Zen_Light said:

don't you have to use them in like 10s

#374 Edited by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:
@AdobeArtist said:

@Zen_Light said:

don't you have to use them in like 10s

Yeah that's what sucks about the power. The animation to activate it takes several seconds, and then you have to use it fast or lose it.