DESTINY beta is live, thoughts and impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@Wanderer5 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

I just played up until Riksis and damn, this game is good. FInishing him solo on hard was a pain.

what class were you?

I'm playing Warlock. Gonna level the other classes after this one. I really like the class.

Does the hunter have stealth?

Think they can do stealth kills with their hunter knife.

So No?

#302 Posted by funkmaster1233 (706 posts) -

Definitely enjoyed the beta more than the alpha but I honestly don't find it nearly as good as the first 3 Halo games. I hope my thoughts change at release

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#303 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22196 posts) -

playing this on Vita is actually pretty fun and the controls work well too

#305 Posted by AdobeArtist (24649 posts) -
@finalstar2007 said:

@Snugenz said:

After alot more time with the Beta it's definitely growing on me, did the 3 man instance which was decent but it was with a pug so i'd imagine it'd be much better with a group of buddies.

Pros:

• Nice looking game (but in typical Bungie fashion nothing jaw dropping)
  • Amazing UI
  • Solid gunplay
  • Decent customization
  • The Sparrow (amazingly fun little thing)
  • It feels like a cross between BL2, Halo and ME.

Cons:

• Clunky fireteam invite system
  • A.I can be, meh
  • Peter Dinklage, as much as i like the guy as an actor, i can help but think they could've done better for Ghost
  • It feels like a cross between BL2, Halo and ME, but it's not as funny as BL2, doesn't have the multiplayer of Halo and doesnt have the story of ME

Im surprised you didnt list the long loading times or the stupid 1 to 2 minutes cutscene that starts before every single competitive multiplayer match as cons ( hopefully its because this is a beta and wont be in the full game ).

i'll list mine:

Pros:

• Amazing visuals
  • Great sound track
  • The very first weapon given by the game is the most addictive weapon to use ( seriously i cant seem to be able to use any other weapon but the very firts one lol )
  • The Tower area lobby has a football to play with friends and do some hilarious stuff ( seriously i think i've spent over 40 minutes with one of my friends trying to jump to the roof of one of the buildings in that area lmao )
  • The Emotes feature is pretty neat ( givens an MMO feeling to the game )
  • You can find random people in story mode and have them help you or you helping them while your doing the story mode
  • Competitive mode is crazy addictive
  • Game has major Mass Effect vibe coming from it ( good thing in my books )
  • Pretty clear and clean UI
  • Customization is fun and addictive, pretty much everything is upgradable in the game
  • The invite system is pretty sweet and fast, all i do is click accept invite and BAM in into my friends lobby
  • Great voice work
  • Small maps make finding enemies very easy ( competitive multiplayer )

Cons:

• The game while having this MMO feeling to it, it has pretty much missed the first and only thing that makes MMO's ( like FF14 ) so fun and that is? TEXT CHAT! i think its pretty idiotic that they dont have text chat included in the game i mean what if i want to text chat to those who are near by in the Tower lobby? or hey about those who i find randomly in the co-op matches? what if i want to say thanks? if FF14 does it then so can Destiny!
  • Long loading times between one place to another is VERY annoying
  • 1 to 2 minutes cutscene before every single match in competitive multiplayer, i mean yes i get it we are going to a new planet woho! 1 time should be enough for a start cutscene.
  • Enemies in co-op matches respawn way too quickly its annoying.

Conclusion: Its a day one purchase

My thoughts beyond just the Halo/ME/BL comparison;

Visuals are gorgeous with huuuuuge levels. There's so much to explore in the Russian territory. I enjoy searching for loot chest, and when you're in free roam mode picking up Vanguard missions (searching for those mission modules) I love how a random event can just drop in, which is like an easter egg to play :)

Even when you reach the max level of 8, you can still upgrade class powers and weapons. The looting adds an addictive element to the game, as does the boundless possibility of armor collecting and customizing. It's also such a tease to pick up a gun requiring level 9 or higher, that you can never equip in the Beta, lol :P I really want to see how extensive the customization becomes when you can reach the higher levels to gain access to the higher tier armor and weapons.

The competitive MP has some stunning map designs. Though it can get frustrating where weapon looting creates balancing issues. How do you defend against someone who just got a luckier rifle drop than you? uggghhh. I hope Bungie irons out a more refined matchmaking structure on final release. Also I know it's a Beta but seriously, I wish I could play another mode besides just Control.

But truthfully, CO-OP MP is where the real magic is at :) :)

#306 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2782 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: you are an idiot!!!! Not only is this game NOT even remotely a PS4 exclusive, it us on last gen consoles and nay come to PC and WiiU as well! You cows make LOL hard at your fascination with the PS4 and it's SUPPOSED superiority. Doesn't matter what's under the hood if the devs don't use it! Destiny is a multiplat and is being made to look as best as it can on all platforms. X1 and PS4 versions are both 1080p and 30 FPS .....CONFIRMED!!!!!

#308 Edited by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2782 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: umm?? Yes, you are an idiot who also is apprently illiterate! You are the typical PS4 fan who thinks the PS4 is the greatest thing ever created.

It's a gaming console junior! Not a cure for cancer or world hunger! Maybe you should find something else to do with your life besides worshiping a corrupt, near bankrupt electronics manufacturer

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#310 Posted by SolidGame_basic (22196 posts) -

playing on Vita remote play = awesome.

#311 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@scottpsfan14: Not only is this game NOT even remotely a PS4 exclusive, it us on last gen consoles

Truth.

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@scottpsfan14:and nay come to PC and WiiU as well! You cows make LOL hard at your fascination with the PS4 and it's SUPPOSED superiority. Doesn't matter what's under the hood if the devs don't use it! Destiny is a multiplat and is being made to look as best as it can on all platforms. X1 and PS4 versions are both 1080p and 30 FPS .....CONFIRMED!!!!!

BS.

#312 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -
@AdobeArtist said:

The competitive MP has some stunning map designs. Though it can get frustrating where weapon looting creates balancing issues. How do you defend against someone who just got a luckier rifle drop than you? uggghhh. I hope Bungie irons out a more refined matchmaking structure on final release. Also I know it's a Beta but seriously, I wish I could play another mode besides just Control.

But truthfully, CO-OP MP is where the real magic is at :) :)

I actually hope they make at least 1 MP mode where they take off all normalizing, just because I think it would be fun. Now I know it wouldn't be "Skill Based" and you'd get dicks with uber epic gear who have no life owning everyone but those battles can still be fun. Especially when the no lifers lose.

#313 Posted by Sagemode87 (1284 posts) -

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: You act like Xbox fans don't feel the same way about the Xbox One. Stop acting like PS4 fans are a special case ....

#314 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Finally reached Level 8. Will definitely be playing a lot more Crucible in hopes of getting some real practice and trying out various weapons.

#315 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Sagemode87 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: You act like Xbox fans don't feel the same way about the Xbox One. Stop acting like PS4 fans are a special case ....

well they do seem "special"

#316 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@scottpsfan14: you are an idiot!!!! Not only is this game NOT even remotely a PS4 exclusive, it us on last gen consoles and nay come to PC and WiiU as well! You cows make LOL hard at your fascination with the PS4 and it's SUPPOSED superiority. Doesn't matter what's under the hood if the devs don't use it! Destiny is a multiplat and is being made to look as best as it can on all platforms. X1 and PS4 versions are both 1080p and 30 FPS .....CONFIRMED!!!!!

LOL. I iz idiot mayn roflz

You've finally lost it.

#317 Posted by lundy86_4 (48567 posts) -

I'm hoping Bungie implement some form of carry over for Beta players, even if it's just special items. I feel like they'll want everybody on a level playing field, but a li'l somethin'-somethin' would be nice.

#318 Edited by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

Beta is very fun so far. I thought the Beta would help me decide on my "class favorite" tier list but it's only made the decision all the more difficult, I love them all!

#319 Edited by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

Finally tried PvP and eh it fine, but I doubt I will do it a lot, and it didn't help that there some hit lag that annoyed me quite a few times. I think the moon level works best with the control point mode while the rest are kind of meh (not a fan of the venus and mars map, but rustlands was fine) I went into the Iron of Banner event, and finally got a won at the very end, and boy I got a great sendoff with this event.

#321 Posted by AdobeArtist (24649 posts) -

@Wanderer5 said:

Finally tried PvP and eh it fine, but I doubt I will do it a lot, and it didn't help that there some hit lag that annoyed me quite a few times. I think the moon level works best with the control point mode while the rest are kind of meh (not a fan of the venus and mars map, but rustlands was fine) I went into the Iron of Banner event, and finally got a won at the very end, and boy I got a great sendoff with this event.

You got a LEVEL 20 item as a loot/reward drop??? SERIOUSLY???? :o :o :o

Sucks that you can't equip it in the Beta :P

#322 Edited by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@Wanderer5 said:

I think pretty much all the legendary weapons and armor at least are at lv20 (is that level cap for the final game? seems like it), but yeah sucks I won't be able to use it in the beta. Was pretty shocked heh, getting one of these iron banner items is probably quite a feat. I wonder if we will at least be able to transfer items like these over to the main game.

#323 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

Got to level 8 with two characters: Titan and Hunter. Man I LOVE hunters but they are weak in Control.

#324 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

Sucks even worse that he'll probably lose it...

#325 Edited by lundy86_4 (48567 posts) -

@Wanderer5 said:

I think pretty much all the legendary weapons and armor at least are at lv20 (is that level cap for the final game? seems like it), but yeah sucks I won't be able to use it in the beta. Was pretty shocked heh, getting one of these iron banner items is probably quite a feat. I wonder if we will at least be able to transfer items like these over to the main game.

It seems like level 20 will be the level cap, but you progress further with higher quality equipment.

#326 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

It looks like there will be another round of Iron Banner event beginning at the start of the next hour before Bungie closes off the beta for a couple days.

#327 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Ok, I leveled Warlock to level 8 and enjoyed it, but damn Hunter is so much better. Mainly because I'm better at it, but still, I like the weapons and grenade more. I actually had a positive K/D ratio in Crucible with Hunter!

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#328 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

I got bored of destiny beta yesterday so I couldnt be bothered playing it today + plus I had 0 time anyway very busy day. Iron banner sounds like a cluster **** though, too unbalanced for my liking

#329 Posted by AdobeArtist (24649 posts) -
@yokofox33 said:

Ok, I leveled Warlock to level 8 and enjoyed it, but damn Hunter is so much better. Mainly because I'm better at it, but still, I like the weapons and grenade more. I actually had a positive K/D ratio in Crucible with Hunter!

What are the advantages of the Hunter?

#330 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:
@yokofox33 said:

They're light on their feet and more agile so it's easy to sneak up on most enemies. Their melee attacks are more powerful than the other two and you can throw a knife. Their default grenades have fire elements.

My character has a powerful hand cannon and a sniper rifle, so I'm covered up close and far away. Their real weakness is swarming enemies and powerful weapons because a Hunter's armor seems to be on the low end compared to the other two classes.

#331 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:
@yokofox33 said:

I find them to be more powerful and their fire grenades are more to my liking. I just felt like I was doing more damage with my weapons as a Hunter in Crucible than I was with my Warlock. I was killing people in vehicles with my array of rifles. Was definitely fun.

#332 Edited by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

Heh kind of glad the beta going to close for a couple days. As much as I love to explore some more, I probably should really take a break lol, and this will force that.

@yokofox33 said:

@AdobeArtist said:
@yokofox33 said:

I find them to be more powerful and their fire grenades are more to my liking. I just felt like I was doing more damage with my weapons as a Hunter in Crucible than I was with my Warlock. I was killing people in vehicles with my array of rifles. Was definitely fun.

Sniper might seem ideal for Hunter but I still felt pretty good sniping people with my Warlock.:P Not sure if I make a hunter or titan, but probably. It seems that warlock has the worse extra jump through.

#333 Posted by Vatusus (7873 posts) -

Played the 1st section of the Beta. I liked it. Not the revolution it was marketed as but a solid shooter

#334 Posted by Ballroompirate (25858 posts) -

Played it at a friends house (ps4 version), got a Hunter to lvl 7 and I have to say I'm impressed. Makes me want to drop my pre order of the PS3 version and get a PS4.

#335 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Some codes

P4C9-F2NB-QM4A (ps3 NA)

75g3-78nh-tkrj (ps4 NA)

4584-56n7-tp2h (ps4 NA)

Gotta say after spending 4-5h doing pvp the loading times are so annoying that i was bitchin at them. Never was i so annoying by loading times in a very long time. Long ass loading times+after/before match timer and you waiting three centuries n a half between matches. How next gen is this? F*ck those loading time. Fix yo shit, Bungie. 500mil franchise doesn't mean the loading time should be 500 sec WTF

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#336 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

Got to level 8 with my hunter today (hunters are awesome BTW and even without playing the other classes yet I see it being my fav class easily) and while I have been having fun I also am not sold on the game yet as I have some serious concerns.

Mainly, I really worry that the game might just end up being an exercise in tedium. There is very little variety from what I have played and the story hasn't been interesting at all. The RPG elements aren't that great either from the little bit I have played. I don't feel like I am skillfully building my character. Maybe it is just a beta thing, but so far it has literally been "level up, use my new skill point on the new skill that became available". There has literally been no choice in the beta when it comes to leveling.

Overall the game is fun, but it is this weird combination of Halo and Borderlands but lacking the very good qualities that make each game brilliant (It is missing the great weapon variety and multiplayer of Halo and the amazing humor and RPG elements of Borderlands). Hopefully the final product proves me wrong, but I am still very skeptical of this game.

#337 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Now what they need to do for the final game is:

1- allow map chat in the tower.

2- proximity chat in free roam.

3- significantly improve loading times. Why is a 2013 console loads as slow as one released in 06? Makes no sense.

4- allow fireteams of 6 or more players (max amount that a map can handle) during exploration. Having only three while you can see at least 5 randoms running around is dumb.

5- option to mute music or lower sound. why isn't there an option for this? i hope its only because of the beta/alpha

6- stabilize this game at 60fps (at least on ps4) or at least do it in pvp. No way in hell this kind of outdated looking games can't run in 60fps on a 8750

7- balance the crappy hand cannons and pulse rifles so they have a reason to exist

8- add much more loot in chests because right now they're almost not worth even oppening

9- remove the mother******** timer after/before pvp matches. i don't want to wait 4 minutes of loading times+2 minutes of that stupid timer after each match. who thought this was a good idea? wth

10- wtf is up with this ai?

I bet not even 1/4 of it will improve because its a demo and you rarely see any kind of improvements from a demo to final game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#338 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

This game is weirdly addictive. As repetitive as I know it is I still can't wait to play more of it every night. Kind of weird.

Also **** the amount of waiting in this game, SO many load screens and everything is "hold square to"

Also Warlock for life!!

#339 Edited by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

This game is weirdly addictive. As repetitive as I know it is I still can't wait to play more of it every night. Kind of weird.

Also **** the amount of waiting in this game, SO many load screens and everything is "hold square to"

Also Warlock for life!!

Ha ha think I on the same boat.XD Oh yeah some of the "hold" seems pointlessly long heh. Hold to go to orbit, takes like 7 seconds or more.<.< And as someone that tends to not get into magic based classes in RPGs or such, I really like ones that mix in tech like Warlock or Spellslinger in Wildstar.XD

Also them butt capes, but I kind of wish their unique armor was more noticable. I know some of the later Bonds stand out more, but still compare to the cape hunter has, and whatever the titans has...

#340 Posted by MlauTheDaft (5189 posts) -

So it's safe to say that SW is coming around and the game is going to be good?

I starting to kinda wish I had a PS4.

#341 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

So it's safe to say that SW is coming around and the game is going to be good?

I starting to kinda wish I had a PS4.

the only ones who didn't like it at first are the ones who don't own a ps4 and never tried the alpha.

#342 Posted by Ballroompirate (25858 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Also Warlock for life!!

Pssh you will bow down before the superior hunter class!

#343 Edited by AdobeArtist (24649 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Also Warlock for life!!

Pssh you will bow down before the superior hunter class!

They all tremble before the Godly might of the Biotic Adept!! :P

#344 Posted by Ballroompirate (25858 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Psssh Vanguard or gtfo lol :P, except Soldier was broken in ME1.

#345 Posted by handssss (1907 posts) -

vehicles are so goddamn overpowered. Yes I know you can 1 shot them with the class power moves, but it's pretty easy to avoid them or stop someone from trying to hit you with one unless they blindside you.

Hate the moon map in pvp because of them. Venus, Earth, and Mars are all nice. too bad I only seen Mars and Earth in Iron Banner which was only on for short periods of time when I couldn't play much.

#346 Posted by finalstar2007 (27911 posts) -

So i thought i would test out the Share feature in the PS4 and upload something to YouTube to see the quality and man its not bad at all!

This was from yesterday in the last few minutes while playing Destiny Beta with TheEroica from GS

Loading Video...
#347 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

I WANT TO PLAY. Since when are maintenance days long? Wanted to make a Titan for those superman dunks and the game is offline for days? They better give us a new strike (or try a raid would be what i'd like the most), a much much harder difficulty or let explore moon after this stupid 2days maintenance.

#348 Posted by finalstar2007 (27911 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

I WANT TO PLAY. Since when are maintenance days long? Wanted to make a Titan for those superman dunks and the game is offline for days? They better give us a new strike (or try a raid would be what i'd like the most), a much much harder difficulty or let explore moon after this stupid 2days maintenance.

Did you play football in the tower lobby? its pretty hilarious i even recorded it i was playing with some random dude and its uploading as i type this :P

I believe the maintenance will be for about two days

#349 Posted by Vatusus (7873 posts) -

Ok, I just spent a whole afternoon playing the Beta. Definitely liked it

#350 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (2222 posts) -

So does MMO count as a genre now? Finally!