Destiny 2 going free-to-play, will have cross-platform save, launching on Steam.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10582 Posts

Source: Kotaku.

Here’s the news:

• On September 17 we’ll see the next Destiny 2 expansion, Shadowkeep, which is set on the Moon and features the return of the fan-favorite (lol) space wizard Eris Morn.
  • This one is “completely standalone”—no need to buy Forsaken or any other parts of the game to access it. Same thing with future seasons.
  • The game will get some big changes alongside that release—it’ll get cross-save across PC, Xbox, and Google Stadia (as we reported yesterday), and the PC version will move from Battle.net to Steam. It’s also coming to PS4! (This was a very last-minute decision.)
  • No more exclusive content! No longer will Sony be able to pay to deprive non-PS4 Destiny players of maps, weapons, and strikes.
  • The base version of Destiny 2 along with all year-one content (Curse of Osiris, Warmind) will be going free-to-play with a new title: Destiny 2: New Light.

I kind of expected this after Bungie used NetEase money to buy themselves out of Activision; I always thought that one time they gave the base game away was something of an experiment in going free-to-play. Now that they're free from Activision's orbit, this was a logical step to give the game a fresh new start.

Still playing my own free version from time to time. Just unlocked all three Hunter subclasses yesterday. Decently fun. Wonder what transferring my Battle.net saves to Steam will involve.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

LOL OMFG! Tricking people into thinking a game is free, when they're really just giving you the Demo of the game. By the way, Bungie clarified that cross-save will be supported on all platforms and yes, I played Destiny 2 on PC through Battle.Net and if I were to get it on Steam, my save data carries over to that Client.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Technically Its already free-to-play for me and everyone that bought it and most of us still don't want to play it... Destiny to me is Borderlands without the interesting characters and environments and boring guns that you have to grind for.

I can't wait for Borderlands 3.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11791 Posts

meh

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

@davillain- said:

LOL OMFG! Tricking people into thinking a game is free, when they're really just giving you the Demo of the game. By the way, Bungie clarified that cross-save will be supported on all platforms and yes, I played Destiny 2 on PC through Battle.Net and if I were to get it on Steam, my save data carries over to that Client.

What do you mean its a Demo of the free game?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By madrocketeer
@davillain- said:

Well, it's full base Destiny game plus the first two DLCs. But yeah, had they thrown in Forsaken as well, then we'd be talking.

Good to know.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Technically Its already free-to-play for me and everyone that bought it and most of us still don't want to play it... Destiny to me is Borderlands without the interesting characters and environments and boring guns that you have to grind for.

Pretty much. As I said, Destiny feels like Borderlands without the personality. One reason I play it so rarely. Personally, every looter-shooter I'm playing - or in Anthem's case, watching - right now is just to hold me over until Borderlands 3 arrives on Steam.

And yes, that includes Warframe.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 madrocketeer

For anyone who cares, the Steam store page is up.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

So how do we get it off battle net and unto steam?

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

They were already giving out free on PS+ and Blizzard launcher for a long time now. I didn't bother downloading it then and I won’t bother now. I think the franchise is trash and is a big part of what I think is wrong with modern gaming.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11791 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Pretty much. As I said, Destiny feels like Borderlands without the personality. One reason I play it so rarely. Personally, every looter-shooter I'm playing - or in Anthem's case, watching - right now is just to hold me over until Borderlands 3 arrives on Steam.

And yes, that includes Warframe.

I find it hard to get back into Borderlands after playing Warframe for a while. Borderlands just feels really slow and clunky now after playing a fast paced game like Warframe. I prefer the guns in Warframe and like that I have control over customization. The humor in Borderlands never really appealed to me either and I barely know what is going on in Borderlands 2 story and lore wise. Playing with friends is really the only thing that kept me going with Borderlands.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

That's not true F2P.

GW2 has a similar system where old content goes free, but you can't really do anything relevant without the latest expansion. D2 seems to have even less.

I'm more peeved it is going to Steam, I like using my WoW gold to by everything on the Battle.net launcher for free. I wouldn't wanna actually spend cash on this shitty game.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By madrocketeer
@NoodleFighter said:

I find it hard to get back into Borderlands after playing Warframe for a while. Borderlands just feels really slow and clunky now after playing a fast paced game like Warframe. I prefer the guns in Warframe and like that I have control over customization. The humor in Borderlands never really appealed to me either and I barely know what is going on in Borderlands 2 story and lore wise. Playing with friends is really the only thing that kept me going with Borderlands.

To each his own. Personally, I rather like Borderlands' style of humour, and Borderlands 2's story was its strong point. On the other hand, Warframe is bloody great for a free-to-play game, but... ...let's just say this game sometimes feels more like a mad science experiment than a polished product, which has its charms and annoyances.

That said, yeah, the first time I went back to Doom 2016 after playing so much Warframe, I tried to bullet jump. Let's just say it took me a while to re-adjust...

A lot of Warframe's guns are generic MR fodders, but certainly there are some gems. My favourite Primary is the Corinth, which is basically what results when you give a pump-action shotgun lion blood and testosterone. There's also a gun that fires shurikens and turns into a circular saw, a 50's sci-fi style ray gun that gives enemies a Big Head Mode, and a bow that fires arrows that freeze enemies in place before blowing them to smithereens. All of that said, it's kinda hard to beat Borderlands' gun that fires exploding swords, or a launcher that fires a corrosive angry bee's nest, or a gun that berates you for shooting people. Borderlands 3 looks to be even wilder.

Still, those pictures gave me a chuckle. Cheers.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

you cannot play online on Xbone without paying for Gold. So, NOT free to play on that console.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Pretty sure the game was already free on origins a while ago. I played it and never paid for it. So yea.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

you cannot play online on Xbone without paying for Gold. So, NOT free to play on that console.

At least it's not Anti-Consumer like Sony making exclusive content for years.