Demon's Souls Remake looks better than most games shown during the show

• 51 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Demon's Souls Remake looks better than most games shown during the show (35 votes)

Agree 49%
Nope 51%

If this is actual gameplay, which it seems to be, the upgrade is absolutely massive. Bluepoint is so damn good at remaking games.

• 
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Its amazing but it also looks bit more like deep down that capcom showed in Sony's E3 2013.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I would've been fine with a remaster. It looks aged, but the world in Demon's Souls (og) felt really desolate. The game looked like it. This remake is modernising it, like these remakes do. Add a whole lot of lightning, foliage and stuff. I'll still buy it just to see qol changes. Perhaps world 6, but the upgraded visuals don't do anything for me.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Its amazing but it also looks bit more like deep down that capcom showed in Sony's E3 2013.

Kinda does, yea

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

It looks great. I never played the original. Dark Souls on PC was my first Souls game. So, I am looking forward to the remaster.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Demon's Soul was hella fun back in the days, but I never dream of a remake and this doesn't do it for me. I move on to better things like Bloodborne.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Prettier lipstick but still an ugly pig. lol :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen
@freedomfreak said:

I would've been fine with a remaster. It looks aged, but the world in Demon's Souls (og) felt really desolate. The game looked like it. This remake is modernising it, like these remakes do. Add a whole lot of lightning, foliage and stuff. I'll still buy it just to see qol changes. Perhaps world 6, but the upgraded visuals don't do anything for me.

I agree, but at the same time, if it was too similar, i mean, after spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours in the original, i don't think i'd be getting the remake. Since there's a very obvious change, it'll feel fresh.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I agree, but at the same time, if it was too similar, i mean, after spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours in the original, i don't think i'd be getting the remake. Since there's a very obvious change, it'll feel fresh.

Absolutely. I'm not seeing this remake as a bad thing. I'm just not impressed with the visuals. Not to mention my PC is too weak to emulate this game, anyway.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hardwenzen:

As a remake, it looks amazing. But I'm still pretty sure the ps4 can pull it off.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

The framerate would be something to die for.😎

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

of all the games xbox and sony showed so far for next gen hzd 2 is the best one

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46266 Posts

That feeling when PS3 games start to look hideous.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Why is Boletaria all overgrown and shit? I never got the impression that's what they were going for. Thought it was recently overtaken by demons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

I'm not farming pure bladestone , took me ages to find 1 in OG :P

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

I would rather have a sequel or a prequel. Pretty sure Sony Japan Studios owns the IP. Make Demon's Souls 2 happen, Sony, with or without From Software.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@magnum3000 said:

lmao i was just thinking of that when they showed the remake yesterday. I don't want to spend hours killing one black skeleton omg. I really hope they add a mechant that allows you to buy pure stones and chunks, but it most likely won't happen.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Definitely one of the games that interests me, but all I could think is I wished From was handling it instead of Bluepoint.

Don't get me wrong, they do a great job with remakes and remasters. I just feel they take too many artistic liberties and things get lost in translation.

I understand they're having to fill in the blanks in a lot of ways. Going more dense with geo, higher res with textures, and more sophisticated with materials in areas that were obviously technical limitations. No issue there. That's what people want from these things. And they do a great job at that.

But their lighting and "color grading" do not translate well at all. A lot of the atmosphere and mood is lost. This was definitely an issue with the SotC remake, so many sections of that game took on a different mood entirely. Seems those issues are further magnified here.

Demons Souls felt like a long dead and continually decaying world. A lot of these remake screens look clean, vibrant, and full of life by comparison. The flyover the mountainscape being an obvious example. The Tower Knight intro is similar. In OG there's a sense of dread. The back lighting feels heavy. The sky looks otherworldly. The atmosphere feels poisoned, as if the sun is drowned out. It's a very gritty look. Remake looks nice and clean. Blue tones pop rather than the decrepit green. The sky looks inviting rather than oppressive. The art direction of Demons Souls was very deliberate and I have no idea why Bluepoint would ignore that. That's not at all how I would interpret that Tower Knight intro in higher fidelity.

I feel a good rule of thumb is that if you squint your eyes while looking at a side by side, they should largely look similar. Obfuscate the details and you should get the same vibe.

As for a lesser issue, feel like some of the enemies they showed us are slipping into more generic design territory. Some are a great translation like Tower Knight. Others could go other way, maybe even slight improvements. I think Asylum Demon, while looking way the **** better from a technical standpoint, completely loses his otherworldly look and in a way is less ominous for it.

/meh

I'll probably still play it, just wish Bluepoint could be more faithful about translating the general art direction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@magnum3000 said:

lmao i was just thinking of that when they showed the remake yesterday. I don't want to spend hours killing one black skeleton omg. I really hope they add a mechant that allows you to buy pure stones and chunks, but it most likely won't happen.

HaHa and facing those squid jailors without anti magic.Remember those days of frustation very well even now lol.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I loved Demon's Souls on PS3. If I can get this remake on PC at 60 fps, I'll be a happy camper; the framerate was rather atrocious on the PS3. Would love to replay it at its full glory.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Agree. DeS was by far my favorite bit of news. Nothing else matters, really. If it's an exclusive I'll get a PS5 when it comes out.

...but it better run well and I'll complain if it doesn't. I did hear there is a 'performance option', which is a good thing but also means we'll have to compromise between visual and performance on PS5 for a remake of a PS3 game.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Well at least this will actually come out.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen

@pyro1245 said:

Agree. DeS was by far my favorite bit of news. Nothing else matters, really. If it's an exclusive I'll get a PS5 when it comes out.

...but it better run well and I'll complain if it doesn't. I did hear there is a 'performance option', which is a good thing but also means we'll have to compromise between visual and performance on PS5 for a remake of a PS3 game.

That would be ******** if true. No way you'd have under 60fps on a similarly speced pc. I don't really care about 4k, but if i can't get my 1440p/60fps perfectly stable and with good graphical setting, i will complain too.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Definitely agree.... not sure what I was expecting, I guess to look more like Dark Souls 3. But what they showed looked way better than that.... lets hope its not fake news and over 60fps at release.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Definitely one of the games that interests me, but all I could think is I wished From was handling it instead of Bluepoint.

Don't get me wrong, they do a great job with remakes and remasters. I just feel they take too many artistic liberties and things get lost in translation.

I understand they're having to fill in the blanks in a lot of ways. Going more dense with geo, higher res with textures, and more sophisticated with materials in areas that were obviously technical limitations. No issue there. That's what people want from these things. And they do a great job at that.

But their lighting and "color grading" do not translate well at all. A lot of the atmosphere and mood is lost. This was definitely an issue with the SotC remake, so many sections of that game took on a different mood entirely. Seems those issues are further magnified here.

Demons Souls felt like a long dead and continually decaying world. A lot of these remake screens look clean, vibrant, and full of life by comparison. The flyover the mountainscape being an obvious example. The Tower Knight intro is similar. In OG there's a sense of dread. The back lighting feels heavy. The sky looks otherworldly. The atmosphere feels poisoned, as if the sun is drowned out. It's a very gritty look. Remake looks nice and clean. Blue tones pop rather than the decrepit green. The sky looks inviting rather than oppressive. The art direction of Demons Souls was very deliberate and I have no idea why Bluepoint would ignore that. That's not at all how I would interpret that Tower Knight intro in higher fidelity.

I feel a good rule of thumb is that if you squint your eyes while looking at a side by side, they should largely look similar. Obfuscate the details and you should get the same vibe.

As for a lesser issue, feel like some of the enemies they showed us are slipping into more generic design territory. Some are a great translation like Tower Knight. Others could go other way, maybe even slight improvements. I think Asylum Demon, while looking way the **** better from a technical standpoint, completely loses his otherworldly look and in a way is less ominous for it.

/meh

I'll probably still play it, just wish Bluepoint could be more faithful about translating the general art direction.

Thank you! Finally someone gets it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner
@pc_rocks said:

Yeah, just wish it wasn't this way. Who knows, maybe some things can change between now and release. Most of the issues I'm pointing out are relatively easy fixes.

It's funny because I'm usually not a "muh mood, muh atmosphere" type of gamer. But SotC and DeS are both high up on my list when it comes to those aspects, they're very much integral to the experience. Bluepoint already missed the mark a bit on SotC, but it looks like they're going way out of bounds with some sections of DeS.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

/meh

Oh, but i get it alright, but this doesn't mean i want to replay what i have already played for close to 1k hours. The changes they've made are a welcome. I would've much preferred Demon's 2, but if i'm rebuying what i have already played to death, i want it to feel as fresh and new as possible. Going by the trailer, it looks like it'll deliver.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

That feeling when PS3 games start to look hideous.

Thiss

360, wii, and PS3 games are going to start to age now as they officially join the Retro gaming club!

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I love Demon's Souls - one of my favorites. This pretty much just looks like Demon's Souls but with better visuals. I don't really understand why everyone's losing their minds over it.

It's cool though, new generations will get to experience this game.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

To me the added foliage kinda takes away from that dead feeling the world had originally. I'm getting it either way though. It was my favorite game of last gen.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@jaydan said:

I love Demon's Souls - one of my favorites. This pretty much just looks like Demon's Souls but with better visuals. I don't really understand why everyone's losing their minds over it.

Personally it's a big deal for me because it will mean new servers with people in them! It's been so long since I've played DeS with populated online servers.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@pyro1245 said:
@jaydan said:

Personally it's a big deal for me because it will mean new servers with people in them! It's been so long since I've played DeS with populated online servers.

To this day, the original generation of Demon's Souls fans and how we interacted online remains as one of my favorite online experiences I've ever had.

Not even any future From Software titles quite captivated how awesome Demon's Souls online was.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

They added a lot to the environment in the PS5 version

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: I agree with all of that. Did you see all the pointless extra particle effects? Did you see?!?!

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@hardwenzen:

As a remake, it looks amazing. But I'm still pretty sure the ps4 can pull it off.

so funny how you guys can't see the gen jump from a 1 teraflop machine to a 10 teraflop.

but then say there is going to be a huge difference in the series x games over the ps5 mutiplat games.

between 12 and 10 teraflops.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@hardwenzen:

so funny how you guys can't see the gen jump from a 1 teraflop machine to a 10 teraflop.

but then say there is going to be a huge difference in the series x games over the ps5 mutiplat games.

between 12 and 10 teraflops.

The majority of the extra power from next gen is going to go into pushing 4K and RT. Bump the res down to 1080p and lose the RT and it will run fine on PS4.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

That definitely interested me, and the remake looks great. I only played a portion of the original, as I didn't play all that far and Dark Souls is what got me into the "series."

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sakaiXx

@wervenom said:
@sakaixx said:

too bad about what happened to deep down. there was report that the game is almost finished but got shelved for reasons. there is an hour long gameplay on youtube and it seemed decent enough.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

Just read something interesting. You know that missing mood and atmosphere we saw in the trailer? That might be because its a pure white word tendency. The pure black changes the "sunny" feel completely. This is not confirmed, but very possible.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen
Loading Video...

Also good vid from vaati. There might be more changes than we thought.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sakaiXx

@hardwenzen said:

Just read something interesting. You know that missing mood and atmosphere we saw in the trailer? That might be because its a pure white word tendency. The pure black changes the "sunny" feel completely. This is not confirmed, but very possible.

Oh ok wow that is something. The world tendency might affect the scenery seems like too ambitious but man that will make this game quite spectacular. Pure black tendency might change the world like how too many insights reveal what is hidden in Bloodborne. Damn the more I think about this the more curious I am!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ConanTheStoner

Yeah, read something similar to that in a rando Youtube comment couple hrs ago. Seems like a dope idea, would be cool if true.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I've been working my way through it again lately, and visually this is a day and night difference of course. But I agree with some of the comments above - the gritty empty feel of the original is important to its charm.

Mind you, it's clunky and fugly in many ways, so I think it could definitely benefit from a remake. I took some pics today and Jesus it looks almost like a PS2 game often enough and the framerate is a mess. But the artistic direction here isn't quite right - the original feel should be preserved

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@wervenom said:
@sakaixx said:

too bad about what happened to deep down. there was report that the game is almost finished but got shelved for reasons. there is an hour long gameplay on youtube and it seemed decent enough.

It really is. That trailer was so amazing but when more info came out about it such as being F2P and taking place in some kind of weird matrix style simulation I started to lose interest. I'd rather they make a new Dragons Dogma using the RE engine. I'd be happy if they tried making a game with the Deep down engine but it never happened.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen

@wervenom said:
@sakaixx said:
@wervenom said:
@sakaixx said:

It really is. That trailer was so amazing but when more info came out about it such as being F2P and taking place in some kind of weird matrix style simulation I started to lose interest. I'd rather they make a new Dragons Dogma using the RE engine. I'd be happy if they tried making a game with the Deep down engine but it never happened.

The game was developed when Capcom was complete garbage, so it ain't a negative that it was canned. I want the current Capcom to make Dragon's Dogma 2 already. Its time.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Big doubt

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hardwenzen

@jg4xchamp said:
@hardwenzen said:

Big doubt

And why is that? Doesn't take much to change filters and the color of the sky. If they have added so much detail to the environment, i see no reason why a color pallete is too much to ask for.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp
@hardwenzen said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Big doubt

And why is that? Doesn't take much to change filters and the color of the sky. If they have added so much detail to the environment, i see no reason why a color pallete is too much to ask for.

No reason to believe a substitute teacher dev would be that forward thinking, where as gaming industry and Blue Point games themselves (with Shadow of the COlossus) have a pretty habit of completely mispresenting sequences n areas, when they remake them visually.

Outside of Resident Evil 1's remake, pretty much every remake that has maintained the same gameplay n scenarios has changed the visuals, and often changing shit to a completely different tone n mood.

Your example is wishful thinking, where as the more logical scenario is that its typical game devs trying to doll up an old game, and their solution is always Brighter, more colors, more shiny. Which isn't always the best implementation of thing.

We've seen it now with

-Halo CE
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Crash
-Spryo
-Oddworld

Off the top of my head. Admirable remake works in their own right, but clearly missed the mark in terms of tone n atmosphere for a lot of sequences as well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@jg4xchamp said:
@hardwenzen said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Big doubt

No reason to believe a substitute teacher dev would be that forward thinking, where as gaming industry and Blue Point games themselves (with Shadow of the COlossus) have a pretty habit of completely mispresenting sequences n areas, when they remake them visually.

Outside of Resident Evil 1's remake, pretty much every remake that has maintained the same gameplay n scenarios has changed the visuals, and often changing shit to a completely different tone n mood.

Your example is wishful thinking, where as the more logical scenario is that its typical game devs trying to doll up an old game, and their solution is always Brighter, more colors, more shiny. Which isn't always the best implementation of thing.

We've seen it now with

-Halo CE

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Crash

-Spryo

-Oddworld

Off the top of my head. Admirable remake works in their own right, but clearly missed the mark in terms of tone n atmosphere for a lot of sequences as well.

None of the games mentioned have world tendencies. Why would a quality dev such as Bluepoint not take the world tendencies into consideration? You may tell me to look at their latest work, SotC, but again, that game had none of that, it was a simple adventure game.

I'm not saying they will change the environment when in pure black (such as adding fire all over the maps, etc), but swapping the color pallete to something more drab and moody is not too much asking at all.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jg4xchamp

@hardwenzen said:

None of the games mentioned have world tendencies. Why would a quality dev such as Bluepoint not take the world tendencies into consideration? You may tell me to look at their latest work, SotC, but again, that game had none of that, it was a simple adventure game.

I'm not saying they will change the environment when in pure black (such as adding fire all over the maps, etc), but swapping the color pallete to something more drab and moody is not too much asking at all.

What makes them a quality dev exactly? Their entire career is porting over someone else's work. I'm not buying conjecture when nothing in their dev history shows a willingness to do anything like that for gameplay without it out right being said. Would it be cool? Sure. I doubt that's the thing as opposed to them just outright shinying shit up.

Unlike the visual complaint, which has a history to fall back on that isn't exclusive to just the substitute teacher here. Other games not having world tendency, sort of still begs the question why they messed up the visual direction then now doesn't it?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I hate souls games but art style is fantastic