Delusional Miyamoto Claims Nintendo has not fallen behind with online

• 65 results
#51 Posted by AJStyles (920 posts) -

I am pretty sure freaking Socom 2 on PS2 had party chat and you could easily talk to your friends. What a joke the switch is.

#52 Posted by Sgt_Crow (6091 posts) -
@ajstyles said:

I am pretty sure freaking Socom 2 on PS2 had party chat and you could easily talk to your friends. What a joke the switch is.

Are you okay? It must be tough to live with so much hate for something you don't own or have any emotional or financial connection to.

#53 Posted by Heirren (1597 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow:

I dont use the app, but isnt it technically availabe on switch?

#54 Edited by Litchie (24040 posts) -
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:

As a Switch fan, no I do not agree. My experience with Smash and Mario Maker definitely says their online is behind(especially SMM2, never experienced more lag in a multiplayer game before). Usually Mario Kart goes pretty well for me though.

Aw, man. Mario Maker 2 doesn't work online either? ****. That their shitty online can't handle a fast fighting game like Smash Bros. isn't surprising, but MM2 as well? Ugh.

Pretty sure Mario Kart 8 "works well" online since it's just harder to see when people lag in that game and it doesn't matter as much.

#55 Posted by AJStyles (920 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow: Life is awesome actually. I am a PS4 owner and I get to play all the awesome games. Pretty damn happy bro.

Just like to put Nintendo in their place and make sure everyone knows they are at the bottom when it comes to quality.

#56 Posted by Heirren (1597 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet:

True, which is something Nintendo really did with N64. But remember, they design the hardware around what the current software r&d is.

Imo current hardware isnt even being utilized to its fullest, especially the pc, and especially in the ways you mention; the ones which tend to enhance and push gameplay forward. The trend, still, are games which can be completed in a weekend or string the player along for a story. The consumer also dictates game direction.

#57 Posted by Pedro (34958 posts) -

Nintendo works of a very simple practice. Do the least amount of work with the greatest return. It can be seen in everything they do.

#58 Posted by clone01 (27489 posts) -

of course he's going to say that. He works for the company. C'mon, folks.

#59 Posted by MirkoS77 (14243 posts) -

@heirren said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

How do you figure. Havent they stated that the hardware they choose revolves around the software idea being researched?

I could understand that with the Wii (and Wii U to a lesser extent), but the Switch? Being able to plug into your TV and then slap two control sticks to each side to take on the go hardly revolves around any software idea. Nintendo stepped away from that philosophy with their latest hardware.

The only time I've seen a portable incorporate its hardware into a gameplay innovation was Boktai, release way back in 2003.

#60 Posted by Heirren (1597 posts) -

@MirkoS77:

I mean in the sense that r&d stages for Breath of The Wild were underway well before the wiiu even launched. Nintendo looks at what they plan to release, and then choose a hardware configuration that allows it to happen.

#61 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8413 posts) -

@heirren said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

True, which is something Nintendo really did with N64. But remember, they design the hardware around what the current software r&d is.

Imo current hardware isnt even being utilized to its fullest, especially the pc, and especially in the ways you mention; the ones which tend to enhance and push gameplay forward. The trend, still, are games which can be completed in a weekend or string the player along for a story. The consumer also dictates game direction.

Hardware on the PC isn't just for games, so it stands that they're never fully pushed. However physics and ai do get pushed.

Some examples of advanced physics to give you an idea:

Fight Night Champion: Physics: Angle x speed and power x location of impact. A surprising amount of physics.

Forza Motorsport 3: Physics: Calulates at something like 360 times a second.

Boom Blox Wii: Physics: Uses every other clock cycle to calculate the physics.

Various games with destructible environments.

Ai:

There has been so many games with interesting or advanced ai. I can not list them all. Off the top of my head Black and White, Creatures, Go, Facade, FEAR, one of the HALO games, I think one of the Fable games, Drivatars in some of the Forza games, Chess, AI Wars and on and on.

What I was saying was that Nintendo is known for innovating in games and finding new ways to play, but they don't really explore these areas. Imagine if a company like Nintendo did explore these areas.

#62 Edited by MirkoS77 (14243 posts) -

To the topic:

“In that time, we have objectively evaluated whether they actually allow our consumers to have an enjoyable play experience, and whether we can operate them at an appropriate cost,” he continued. “Because we don’t publicize this until we release a product, it may look like we’re falling behind.”

Because you don't publicize? When you release your product, it doesn't "look like you're falling behind", you ARE behind. You're behind before you even publicize it. The moment you release something in the online realm Nintendo, it's not getting to parity with modern times, you're simply playing catch up to something years in the past, sometimes near a decade or more.

TC is right, this is downright delusion. It's spoken from individuals that live in a bubble who make up their own reality. It's embarrassing. I don't understand how people, collectively, can be so utterly clueless in a company. Is there not one single person in the upper echelon of Nintendo that feels the need to speak up? They literally have no clue if they can come out and make such a statement. It is a testament to how strong their IPs are that this business can continue to exist when the upper management can say shit like this with a straight face.

It's just remarkable.

#63 Posted by Heirren (1597 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet:

Who knows what Nintendo is up to. Nobody, really. They may be working on stuff that at this point in time do not find financially viable.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
#64 Posted by Messiahbolical- (5642 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Sgt_Crow:

I dont use the app, but isnt it technically availabe on switch?

No it technically isn't available on Switch since you need a phone to use it. Being available on Switch would mean all I need is the Switch. And even if you take the time to download the app you'll also have to buy a special headset that utilizes the app + game audio from the Switch, since your PS4/Xbox 1/PC headsets weren't made for that shit. And if you do that I feel really bad for you because that's a massive waste of money since NOBODY USES THE APP! All you're going to hear is crickets. I tried for hours to find someone to talk to on the app and there wasn't a single soul. Shit's such a joke.

But the worst part is that Nintendo's already proven that there's no need for the app to exist to begin with. Voice chat on Fortnite on the Switch works just fine through the headset jack on the Switch, no need for the app at all. And there might be more 3rd party games out there I don't know about that have voice chat without the app. Only Nintendo's first party games force you to use the dumb app.

So I wish Nintendo would please come out with an explanation telling us what their logic was when they made this app. I really want to know that dumb excuses they try to come up with trying to convince us that we need it when in reality there's 0 reason whatsoever. It's 100% pointless. Just Nintendo being ass backwards when it comes to modern technology as usual. Those bunch of old f*cks that run the company need to retire already. They're completely out of touch with the new generations.

#65 Posted by Heirren (1597 posts) -

@Messiahbolical-:

Nah its still technically available.

I think people forget theyre a japanese company. Didnt flip phones make a comeback over there because people felt the smartphone era was inhibiting on their culture, or something to that effect?