AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

https://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2019/07/08/nintendo-has-not-fallen-behind-on-online-network-services-says-miyamoto

LMAO. There is no hope for this company when the guys in charge legit believe their online is a great service. The head honcho himself believes the online service is great.

Someone needs to show him how PSN and XBL work. Those are standard and both are equally great.

Doesn’t Nintendo understand how annoying their “service” is? Friendcodes lol, not being able to match up with friends in certain games lol and a bunch of other issues.

So which of you Sheep will defend this? Your king claims their service is great and not behind. Do you legit believe that too?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

That guy is full of shit.

It's good nintendo moved away from the old leadership over there so they can make room for progress.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I wouldn't call it bad considering the pricing within consoles. Bizarre and obtuse would be my choice of words to describe it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Miyamoto basically says "we have everything everyone else does, and have been working with it since the beginning, but we're slow to publicize it".

Yeah, ok. I get that. But the online on Switch still sucks balls, and it's very much publicized. We still can't play your games online properly.

Someone should explain to Miyamoto that "but we are working with it" does not equal "not being behind".
Or not, I'm pretty sure he knows, and is just defending his company.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

What hes saying is that their vision for the online experience does not coincide with popular trends.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

He is not going to call it shit is he, just like Mr Spencer would never concede X1 game lineup is crap.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46276 Posts

I love how people defend Switch online because it doesn't cost much... Uhm, it's barely functional, why would it be worth anything at all when you can barely play games without massive lag/latency?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

I love how people defend Switch online because it doesn't cost much... Uhm, it's barely functional, why would it be worth anything at all when you can barely play games without massive lag/latency?

If it was still free, I'd have zero complaints. Well, not 100% true. I'd still be bummed that I can't play Smash Bros online, but now they want to be paid for a service that doesn't work. That's when Nintendo's online went from bad to shit.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Shigeru Miyamoto the "head honcho" of Nintendo? This is something I never heard of before.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Nintendo for me are stuck in the past. They innovate, but seem to be afraid of pushing (researching, innovating) certain areas such as ai, physics, online. Imagine what a company like Nintendo could do with gameplay if they chose to innovate these areas.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@HalcyonScarlet:

How do you figure. Havent they stated that the hardware they choose revolves around the software idea being researched?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@onesiphorus: Really? Many Nintendo fanboys consider him the leader/king/god of Nintendo. He seems to be the main guy involved in all the actual games they make.

The president of Nintendo...whatever his name is...is more like a financial guy while miyamoto is the dude who does actual stuff.

Every Nintendo fanboy will meltdown and cry like crazy when he dies.

So in that sense, he is viewed as the leader of Nintendo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

Seems alright...

:P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@SecretPolice:

Ironic. Dated forms of communication.

Imo nintendo is ahead of the curve by 10 to 20 years.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@heirren said:

@SecretPolice:

Ironic. Dated forms of communication.

Imo nintendo is ahead of the curve by 10 to 20 years.

Using a phone app instead of an integrated chat facility sounds really ahead of the curve. Also preventing people from playing online with their friends on Mario Maker 2 is absolutely positively futuristic. Well done Nintendo for being this far ahead. Salutations.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Litchie said:

Miyamoto basically says "we have everything everyone else does, and have been working with it since the beginning, but we're slow to publicize it".

Yeah, ok. I get that. But the online on Switch still sucks balls, and it's very much publicized. We still can't play your games online properly.

Someone should explain to Miyamoto that "but we are working with it" does not equal "not being behind".

Or not, I'm pretty sure he knows, and is just defending his company.

What it really means.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@DocSanchez:

It is. The degree of communication that occurs on psn/live is downright barbaric. I want no part of that. Nintendo gives that choice.

The latter im sure will be worked out over time. I still havent picked Mario Maker 2. Didnt use the wiiu version much.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

He's right.

Their games play great online.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DocSanchez

@heirren said:

@DocSanchez:

It is. The degree of communication that occurs on psn/live is downright barbaric. I want no part of that. Nintendo gives that choice.

The latter im sure will be worked out over time. I still havent picked Mario Maker 2. Didnt use the wiiu version much.

Barbaric how? Specifically how? They offer an integrated chat system, Nintendo doesn't. How on earth can you say it is barbaric? Do you know the meaning of the word barbaric?

"The latter will be worked out" - but it HASN'T. And only Nintendo has these issues, because their online is dogshit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@DocSanchez:

Yes. People on psn and Live are A-holes, or one or many will find a way in your games. Filled with racists, bigots, and just an overall lack of respect. Yes there are decent people on these platforms but my point is there are a lot of a holes.

Let me ask you this, if you had children would you want them on a platform listening to the things that occur so openly and without restriction? Or would you be cautious and supervise?

I personally just dont associate with people like that so i take zero issue with nintendos online direction. I prefer it. If i need to communicate its either local or then i have the option to use the phone. Whats the problem?

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

He is not going to call it shit is he, just like Mr Spencer would never concede X1 game lineup is crap.

Actually, he recently admitted the Xbox One's game lineup is pretty bad, and was talking about why-

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-on-microsoft-s-struggles-with-game-quality-an-1835740535

Spencer: I think quality of first party is very important, so I’m totally with you there. We did reach a time in our first party where the number of games and studios that we actually had and were investing in put a lot of pressure on everything that we were doing. And it became more difficult to manage a portfolio when you kind of needed everything at any point to hit the date that it had picked three years ahead of time at the very high level of quality.

The support that we’re getting now and we’ve had over the last couple of years has allowed us to invest in our first party, adding eight new studios and really create room for us to focus on quality. I feel good about what Rod [Fergusson]’s done [at Gears studio The Coalition], what Bonnie [Ross] has done [at Halo studio 343 Industries], what Alan [Hartman] has done with Turn 10, and what Helen [Chiang]’s been doing with Minecraft.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@onesiphorus: He’s among the most influential and powerful guys in the company so I don’t know what you sound surprised.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DocSanchez

@heirren said:

@DocSanchez:

Yes. People on psn and Live are A-holes, or one or many will find a way in your games. Filled with racists, bigots, and just an overall lack of respect. Yes there are decent people on these platforms but my point is there are a lot of a holes.

Let me ask you this, if you had children would you want them on a platform listening to the things that occur so openly and without restriction? Or would you be cautious and supervise?

I personally just dont associate with people like that so i take zero issue with nintendos online direction. I prefer it. If i need to communicate its either local or then i have the option to use the phone. Whats the problem?

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with the capabilities of the online system. At all. Totally irrelevant, and ridiculous.

Let's be clear: You can do everything Nintendo offers on PSN and Xbox Live, and far more. You can personally choose to use outside chat facilities, or use the ones provided. And people aren't all children, so giving people a choice is better than giving them no choice. You also get a choice to private chat, mute single players or the whole damn lobby. Basically, you're full of shit.

YOU may not like how people converse online, but that is a laughable reason to exclude the possibility of online chat outright or to ignore the lacklustre Nintendo online, because you don't even get the option with them.

Also, whilst I don't go online that often, your characterisation of people chatting online as barbaric is wrong, ridiculous, and stupid. It's so stupid, it's the sort of tosh a games journalist would write. I've never seen the sort of toxicity you are describing in all my years. I've met the odd obnoxious prick I've had to mute, but that's about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@DocSanchez:

I stand by what i had said. Its not being full of shit at all and quite frankly even if you disagree im surprised you cannot see where im coming from.

The default on nintendo is family friendly. Their products are family friendly. Do you understand that once you initiate a default open communication aspect like psn amd live, the games can no longer be labelled as "E" or they have to include a clause somewhere, but wtf reads the fine print. They do it to protect their image as well.

As for psn/live. From my experience usong these services its people swearing or using racial slurs, and all the way down to just playing their own stereo over their mic. Annoying af.

Is the cell phone way the best alteenative? No i dont think so either but the option is still there. And, i believe nintendo has stated in the past(think it was aroind the time they started using the 'quality of life' thing) that they dont want games to take over the home or they seak a more social aspect when games entee the picture.

I mentioned elsewhere i think in another thread in response to another poster, what do the japanese think of nintendo switch online. Do you think they take the same issues as other areas?

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

They aren't committed to onine in the first place.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

The services are fine. The execution of said services is what's wrong. We have online play, but it's P2P only. We have voice chat, but it's in a phone app. We have friends lists, but also friend codes (though that's not a big deal anymore). The major features that are completely missing are party chats, messaging, and I guess achievements if you care about that. It's just that it's all half-assed or trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Whomever decided friend codes was the way to go should have been fired upon proposing such poppycock. Such implementation is THE greatest flaw of the service.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@Solaryellow: No it's not lol. There are far worse problems. Switch friend codes are exactly the same as a username, except you can't pick or change it. It's just a minor annoyance, and it's nothing like it was on Wii.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Nintendo for me are stuck in the past. They innovate, but seem to be afraid of pushing (researching, innovating) certain areas such as ai, physics, online. Imagine what a company like Nintendo could do with gameplay if they chose to innovate these areas.

wtf?

Breath of the Wild has more of those elements than any of Sony's open world offerings.... There are pleanty of videos comparing games like Horizon, God of War and the likes to how interactive BOTW is in comparison.

I don't get Sony fans... its like another reality.... Pretty-static games use the safest game dev methods on planet... criticising Nintendo.. LOL

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@phbz said:

I wouldn't call it bad considering the pricing within consoles. Bizarre and obtuse would be my choice of words to describe it.

Lol, sounds about right.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#32 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Free roms!

Must subscribe and always be online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@uninspiredcup:

With good emulation. I would like more options for filters, but the games play great and they dont have the often times game destroying bluetooth lag like on the wiiu.

Also, you can play them offline.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Well, he's not wrong. They haven't "fallen behind"... they've just always "been behind".

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why would he say anything different?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Nintendo is being courageous not to include basic functionality for their paid online service.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@heirren

That's some nintendo pr grade mental gymnastics.

Voice chat doesn't have to be enabled by default, it simply should be in the game for basic convenience.

No need to "think of the children", they've been thought of and developed solutions for that don't exclude functionality by more capable people.

Just follow the line on the ground, nintendo. It's not fucking difficult.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

lol console kids arguing which of the 3 shitty onlines is the most shitty.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

Nintendo's policy is "Why pay to get more when you can get less or worse?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

NOT pr. Oh my goodness. Just simple facts. (No quotes hmm)

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Nintendo offers a less than barebones online service that currently has 10 million subscribers. It sounds like their hustle is working according to plan.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HalcyonScarlet

@kali-b1rd: You think BOTW has advanced physics, ai or online features/innovations?

Also don't be so defensive, I don't own a Sony platform. My point still stands.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HalcyonScarlet

@heirren: Not the inner specs, they held back the the Wii U CPU to keep the form factor small.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

As a Switch fan, no I do not agree. My experience with Smash and Mario Maker definitely says their online is behind(especially SMM2, never experienced more lag in a multiplayer game before). Usually Mario Kart goes pretty well for me though.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@kali-b1rd: You think BOTW has advanced physics, ai or online features/innovations?

Well what games are we comparing it to then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@HalcyonScarlet:

I think it does. What other game incorporates these features as well as Breath of The Wild does? Were talking about interactive media, not tech demos.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@techhog89 said:

@Solaryellow: No it's not lol. There are far worse problems. Switch friend codes are exactly the same as a username, except you can't pick or change it. It's just a minor annoyance, and it's nothing like it was on Wii.

Would you prefer a better term such as babysitting?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@heirren: "Imo nintendo is ahead of the curve by 10 to 20 years."

Only if everybody else's curve is absolute crap in 10 to 20 years.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HalcyonScarlet

@kali-b1rd said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Well what games are we comparing it to then?

@heirren said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

I think it does. What other game incorporates these features as well as Breath of The Wild does? Were talking about interactive media, not tech demos.

My point was, that there is a lot of potential in advanced physics, ai and new ways of playing online or online feature, that could come as ideas from Nintendo in general. I especially don't see a push from them in ai and online.

I have no doubt that with Nintendo's innovation they could be truly impressive in these areas across the board.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

What a f*cking joke. Their online is arguably worse than the Xbox 1. And I'm not talking about the Xbox One, I'm talking about the original Xbox from the early 2000's. The features are garbage, the phone app is the biggest joke in online gaming history, friend codes are just ridiculous, YOU CAN'T EVEN MESSAGE YOUR FRIENDS(or play with them in some online games), the servers are by far the worst I've ever seen.

I don't know what possessed me into expecting Smash Ultimate or Mario Maker 2 to be playable online, but what a disappointment both were to me in that regard. Smash Ult has been out for how long now? And yet the servers are still awful. And Mario Maker 2's servers somehow can't manage to handle 4 players versus mode, yet Mario Battle Royale AKA A GAME MADE BY SOME RANDOM GUY IN HIS FREE TIME WAS ABLE TO HANDLE 75 PLAYER VERSUS WITH ALMOST 0 LAG! AND WHY CAN'T I PLAY WITH MY FRIENDS? I can play with randoms but not my friends? That is the stupidest sh*t in the world.

I just don't understand. Has anyone at Nintendo ever played an online game from another platform in their lives? How can they truly believe that what they're putting out is anything more than abysmal? Even if it was 100% free it would cost too much lmfao. PSN was free last gen, and aside from that big security breach it was miles upon miles ahead of Switch Online.

Anyone who defends it is delusional. Liking Nintendo is one thing... I love Nintendo's game franchises, characters, and even love a lot about the Switch itself(aside from the dogsh*t joycon joystick durability and garbage d-pad quality on the Pro controller) but you have to be one hell of a sheep to defend this flaming pile of garbage that is the online. Even if you like the fact that the console isn't online-focused, that doesn't mean you can spin the online being terrible as a good thing. It's a service Nintendo is putting out and trying to compete with other companies. And compared to those other companies, it's the laughing stock of the industry. There's been 0 effort from Nintendo whatsoever to give us a passable service here. It's 2019 and many MANY people other than yourself exist that care a lot about online gaming. Nintendo needs to step it the f*ck up already.