deepest game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MasterChief1013
MasterChief1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MasterChief1013
Member since 2004 • 7019 Posts
by deep, i mean in terms of gameplay, customization, etc... so i'll start off with Morrowind. it get's to the point that you feel like you have no hope in that game.
Shadow_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Shadow_op
Member since 2006 • 4566 Posts
Pong. Set up the ball right and you have perpetual motion.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts
diablo for its time... and maybe even now
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Maybe FF Tactics, or Morrowind. Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter are very deep in their own way.
Avatar image for NicktehImperial
NicktehImperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 NicktehImperial
Member since 2007 • 4243 Posts
Oblivion, and any Elderscrolls game.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
Radiant Silvergun: deepest SHMUP ever. Best weapon system by far, 7 different weapons with just 3 buttons, and each and everyone one of them serves a good purpose, and are not just a waste.

Also the combo link system was great, and Treasure rehashed it again in Ikaruga.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
by deep, i mean in terms of gameplay, customization, etc... so i'll start off with Morrowind. it get's to the point that you feel like you have no hope in that game.MasterChief1013
Agreed. Morrowind defnitely.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Falcon 4.0. I mean..it has 600+ pages long manual :)
sdelaney86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 sdelaney86
Member since 2005 • 4190 Posts
Falcon 4.0. I mean..it has 600+ pages long manual :)AdrianWerner
Yeah, I believe that you should be certified or something if you get good at Falcon 4.0
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What about deep in terms of story, characters and setting?

Shadow of the Colossus would easily win that.

Deep in terms of customizability... hmm... I may have to get back to you on that one.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdrianWerner
What about deep in terms of story, characters and setting?

Shadow of the Colossus would easily win that.foxhound_fox
SoTC? not even close. very shallow setting, story and characters. Incredible style, but lacks substance
HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
Deus Ex told us the way and Crytek listened... let us hope people listen to Crytek. Deus Ex for Storyline, replay, inventory, etc etc... Dude I could be a walking tank or turn invisble!

System shock 2 was very deep too and Bioshock better impress. :P. Deus Ex and System shock 2 are some of the deepest games I've played other than Myst/Uru
JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts
by deep, i mean in terms of gameplay, customization, etc... so i'll start off with Morrowind. it get's to the point that you feel like you have no hope in that game.MasterChief1013
San Andreas. /thread
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foxhound_fox
SoTC? not even close. very shallow setting, story and characters. Incredible style, but lacks substanceAdrianWerner

Go ahead and tell me that again.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Spartan070
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]SoTC? not even close. very shallow setting, story and characters. Incredible style, but lacks substancefoxhound_fox

It's great and all but Final Fantasy IX blows it out of the water with story and character depth.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
This is easy. Madden.
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#18 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts
In terms of all around, Oblivion. In terms of just gameplay, Riddick, 3 different gameplay systems (stealth, hand to hand, shooting) all of which you can switch to playing seemlessly, along with some RPG elements.
_deadrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 _deadrat
Member since 2006 • 224 Posts
Id have to go with Galactic Civilizations II. Its a bit overwhelming at first.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spartan070
This is easy. Madden.Blackbond
Actually Madden is very deep, especially if you design your own playlist.
Avatar image for NicktehImperial
NicktehImperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NicktehImperial
Member since 2007 • 4243 Posts
Unreal tournament was very deep.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]SoTC? not even close. very shallow setting, story and characters. Incredible style, but lacks substancefoxhound_fox

still preety primitive compared to best other videogames offer. no real character depth, the setting is very basic in the game itself(fans can expand on it, but really...they can expand on anything..best example : Half-life2) and very basic and plain story.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]This is easy. Madden.Spartan070
Actually Madden is very deep, especially if you design your own playlist.

The game is immensly deep on just way you can play the game. Then you have to go into stats, customization, stadium building options, franchise modes, create a player modes, all the manager options, player fatigue, injuries, taking care of the team, how weather affects your game. There are practically limitless variables to what can affect the game in the slightest way.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
KOTOR II You can do really anything with your party, with NPCs, the story has multiple endings that depend on your actions, your actions effect your party, wether people live or die, whi is in your party depends on your sex. There is a lot more.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]KOTOR II You can do really anything with your party, with NPCs, the story has multiple endings that depend on your actions, your actions effect your party, wether people live or die, whi is in your party depends on your sex. There is a lot more.

I love the d20 system:D
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
Civilization 4 or SimCity 4.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]KOTOR II You can do really anything with your party, with NPCs, the story has multiple endings that depend on your actions, your actions effect your party, wether people live or die, whi is in your party depends on your sex. There is a lot more.

d20?
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
Shenmue of course
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]KOTOR II You can do really anything with your party, with NPCs, the story has multiple endings that depend on your actions, your actions effect your party, wether people live or die, whi is in your party depends on your sex. There is a lot more.

d20?

Dice system. basically D&D rules
Avatar image for MasterChief1013
MasterChief1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 MasterChief1013
Member since 2004 • 7019 Posts
[QUOTE="Ollivander"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]KOTOR II You can do really anything with your party, with NPCs, the story has multiple endings that depend on your actions, your actions effect your party, wether people live or die, whi is in your party depends on your sex. There is a lot more.

d20?

Dice system. basically D&D rules

i believe KOTOR's engine is called the ''aurora engine'', i'm familiar with the Dice System but is that the combat engine as a whole?
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
Civilization 4 or SimCity 4.

The_Ish

I agree. The hardest difficulty on Civilization IV is INSANE. I don't know how people manage to beat a computer on that setting, it already takes me a long time to beat the middle levels.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Disgaea is pretty insane. The level cap is incredibly high, there are a ton of different classes, which you can switch your party members between at will (if you're willing to drop them back to level 1), and they all have different skills. You can create new party members whenever you want. There's a 'Dark Assembly' that you can manipulate, and every single item in the entire game has an 'item world', which you can fight in to make the item stronger. You can even find more items in the item world. The scope of that game completely intimidated me.

I'm pretty sure its successors from Nippon Ichi are even more insane. Phantom Brave looked downright ludicrous.

Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts

If by "deepest" you mean complex--War in the Pacific. Takes days to learn the basics.

If you mean "requires multilayered thought"  I'd vote either Chess or Poker against some good opponents.

Avatar image for xxxxThe_GoaTxxx
xxxxThe_GoaTxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xxxxThe_GoaTxxx
Member since 2004 • 1841 Posts
Armored Core series. so much customization it's rediculous.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Disgaea is pretty insane. The level cap is incredibly high, there are a ton of different classes, which you can switch your party members between at will (if you're willing to drop them back to level 1), and they all have different skills. You can create new party members whenever you want. There's a 'Dark Assembly' that you can manipulate, and every single item in the entire game has an 'item world', which you can fight in to make the item stronger. You can even find more items in the item world. The scope of that game completely intimidated me.

I'm pretty sure its successors from Nippon Ichi are even more insane. Phantom Brave looked downright ludicrous.

sonicmj1
I loved Disgaea when it released. But I have to say my fave game of the Makai Wars series is Makai Kingdom. Though obviously the game didn't had the same scope as Disgaea, or the production values. the gameplay was much more varied and improved. There was alot of ingenious improvements here and there.

I was sorta dissapointed that NIS desiced to stay as orthodox as possible with the original Disgaea scheme on Disgaea 2, and forefeited all the improvements that Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom brought to the table.

Of course Disgaea 2 was a great game cause it's system is truly great, and it refined it even further.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox
i believe KOTOR's engine is called the ''aurora engine'', i'm familiar with the Dice System but is that the combat engine as a whole?MasterChief1013

The statistics and damage/check rolls are based off of the D&D d20 system. I believe it is "based" off of the D&D d20 system.
Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts
Deus Ex told us the way and Crytek listened... let us hope people listen to Crytek. Deus Ex for Storyline, replay, inventory, etc etc... Dude I could be a walking tank or turn invisble!

System shock 2 was very deep too and Bioshock better impress. :P. Deus Ex and System shock 2 are some of the deepest games I've played other than Myst/Uru
HostileEffect
I agree. Morpheus (an AI in Deus Ex) is alone more deeper than almost any game character ever.
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
While I'm sure there are MUCH deeper games out there, the most complex I've probably played is probably Oblivion.  There is just SO much to do, and so many different ways to do it.  I'm actually surprised I stuck with it because I usually lose interest with RPGs, but Oblivion kept me going 40 hours before I stopped playing (don't know why I stopped, just did).  I then picked it up today after downloading Knights of the Nine and played 10 hours almost non-stop.  I love it.

Also, Chromehounds...I'm all for customization, but I don't think I was ready for something THAT deep.  I am pretty sure I'm going to sell it just because it is definitely not for me.
Â