Death Stranding HYPE! 9@Gamespot - Dumpster fire everywhere else.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#401  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@i_p_daily: You may not like it but there are plenty of experiences elevated by the charm and thought put into it by its creator. You can call it “art BS” all you want. Heck even the Mona Lisa has its critics. You’re not the first to be offended by someones creation and you won’t be the last.

Hell, your reaction is so typical it’s almost boring.

Deadly premonition is frustrating at every turn and that game is a 9/10 for me. I can also say the same about Killer 7.

You keep trying to quantify the way others enjoy things. You should quit while your behind.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#402  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

@Jag85: I think everyone was expecting more action and killing like those floating creatures that seem to drag you under if capture and take you to a different realm is what everyone was looking for. Granted, this is a slow burn game, and it seems most reviewers miss the memo. Not saying they are flawed to overlook this but this isn't MGS, an inspiration if you will.

Only 2 more days to go and see how Death Stranding will fair. (At the time of this post)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#403  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts
@pc_rocks said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pc_rocks said:

What you described and quoted sounds just like that an excuse to prop a bad game because of a person behind it especially when you see these same horde of people making excuses for the game before release as well as the same bunch of people rushing reviews, outright neglecting mechanics etc. We also have a plethora of evidence and former critics (who worth a damn and left) saying on record how publications only say things that bring them more clicks or ad revenue.

Strip away a Kojima name and no one would have bated an eye for such a sh*t after the first reveal trailer.

And if air didn't exist you wouldn't be able to breathe. Chicken and the egg situation. Yes, the project got attention because of Kojima.

No one is looking to "prop a bad game because of a person behind it." David Jaffe made GOW and Twisted Metal, and no one is afraid to dump on his other projects which have all failed since then to get any critical acclaim.

If you think auteurs are safe from criticism you are wrong. If anything people are always dying for them to have spectacular failures. So either every person is lying, which is insane, or your filled with confirmation bias, which is much more likely the case.

Because I don't deal in tin foil conspiracies.

David Jaffe didn't have a cult behind him like Kojima nor is he that famous. The better example would be if Rockstar had gotten dumped on which will also never happen.

David Jaffe has been reduced to live-streams where he gets 100 viewers. It's incredibly sad. I honestly watch out of pity. Video video game equivalent of Fred Savage.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

@davillain- said:
@scatteh316 said:

Platform: PS4. (later for PC since this isn't PS4 exclusive)

Begging for those ports still............. Sony funded it, it's using a Sony studio game engine and it's published by Sony..... it'll NEVER release on PC

Well, what do you have to say for yourself? I can't hear youuuuuu!

This sequence of posts is a work of art. @scatteh316 rekkt.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 DaVillain  Moderator

@ToScA- said:
@davillain- said:
@scatteh316 said:

Platform: PS4. (later for PC since this isn't PS4 exclusive)

Begging for those ports still............. Sony funded it, it's using a Sony studio game engine and it's published by Sony..... it'll NEVER release on PC

Well, what do you have to say for yourself? I can't hear youuuuuu!

This sequence of posts is a work of art. @scatteh316 rekkt.

He made one post and after I killed his hopes & dreams with that tweet, he hasn't been back since. I'm more shock scatteh316 didn't get the news cause that tweet was 2 weeks old. This is what happens when you been sleeping under a rock. He'll think twice before messing with us PC gamers again lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#406 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

@uninspiredcup: In the game industry, it's hard to stay relevant for long. A star developer in one generation often gets forgotten in the next gen. And then gamers jump on them while they're down, e.g. John Romero, Peter Molyneux, Tomonobu Itagaki, Cliffy B, Yu Suzuki, etc. That's gamers for you.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup: In the game industry, it's hard to stay relevant for long. A star developer in one generation often gets forgotten in the next gen. And then gamers jump on them while they're down, e.g. John Romero, Peter Molyneux, Tomonobu Itagaki, Cliffy B, Yu Suzuki, etc. That's gamers for you.

True enough, though of those listed. namely John Romero, Cliffy B and Peter Molyneux they did propel it with grating personalities.

Peter Molyneux is do still had mad respect for, from the start his appeal was his big-idea eccentric personality that resulted in out-of-the-box games that got people Sean Cooper into the industry to develop Syndicate. He practically shaped the landscape.

Unfortunately that early days 80-90's "we can do anything mentality" home-brew computer gaming doesn't work so well when it involves a social media ripples and games with far higher budgets, especially if your using your own audiences money. Put that down to more the world around him changing than anything out of character.

John Romero and Cliffy B it sort of did just come across more as arrogance imo, cut from the same cloth.

Yu Suzuki, I think again probably is a Peter Molyneux situation where it's an old hand in a modern world.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 Bread_or_Decide

Some quotes I love from the kotaku review.

---

The actual game is a fantastic mess.

But is it good, Heather? Yes, friends. I love it.

It is breathtaking in scope, consistently intelligent in design, and beautiful to behold. It is a heaping pile of pretentious nonsense. It is a game in which characters drop overwrought interpretations of Kōbō Abe quotes. Its most recurring visual motif is a not-so-subtle gesture towards Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow. It progresses not with the quiet stroke of a pen but with the pounding crash of a hammer. “I brought you a metaphor,” one of the characters says late in the game. It is stupid, and obvious, and perfect.

----

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 Bread_or_Decide
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

True enough, though of those listed. namely John Romero, Cliffy B and Peter Molyneux they did propel it with grating personalities.

Peter Molyneux is do still had mad respect for, from the start his appeal was his big-idea eccentric personality that resulted in out-of-the-box games that got people Sean Cooper into the industry to develop Syndicate. He practically shaped the landscape.

Unfortunately that early days 80-90's "we can do anything mentality" home-brew computer gaming doesn't work so well when it involves a social media ripples and games with far higher budgets, especially if your using your own audiences money. Put that down to more the world around him changing than anything out of character.

John Romero and Cliffy B it sort of did just come across more as arrogance imo, cut from the same cloth.

Yu Suzuki, I think again probably is a Peter Molyneux situation where it's an old hand in a modern world.

Don't forget Ken Levine. Fell off the earth after Bioshock Infinite.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 Bread_or_Decide

"After years of wondering what Death Stranding actually is, I can finally report that it’s a game composed entirely of fetch quests. Forty-plus hours of that may sound like torture, but shockingly, it’s actually pretty damn fun once it gets out of its own way."

Actually pretty damn fun.

LIAR.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Although I agree Kojima and his team tends to make unique games compared to the usual crowd, gamers are open to new stuff.

The most recent example BOTW was a huge shakeup for Zelda and sold gangbusters with almost universal acclaim.

Or Minecraft, Dayz, or Battle Royal. All well known and established now, but these three mentioned sprang from the gamer community, not large Publishers and press hyping them up in a symbiotic relationship, they caught on later.

Or Rainbow 6: Seige, which has basically nothing to do with previous style of games. Or further back than that, Rainbow 6: Vegas, which turned the series into an action game. Which, I hate. But none the less, was supremely popular.

We really undermine gamers, when even the hardest Kojima fan here is saying "this looks iffy", which it clearly does. You'd have to be off your tits to say that gameplay looked entertaining.

And as I (factually 100% predicted well in advance, which is great), critics are pulling the old "ze art" to nullify everything.

Some gamers, some of the time, will try new or challenging things. And occasionally, they do blow up. We do make progress.

Mostly though, going by sales and general buzz, gamers are just hungry for more of the same.

There's a reason that only someone like Kojima could get funding for a game like this, and why it was a Sony funded "prestige" game that (I'm guessing) will probably lose money.

I mean, this is just the same argument as "Why does pop music suck" or "Why does every samey Marvel movie make a billion", it's just the blandness of the mass market.

I kind of expect posters on an enthusiast site like GS to be a little more open and excited about the weird, new, challenging stuff though!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412  Edited By locopatho

@pc_rocks said:

if the game is really that good, why are we hearing excuses of 'teh art'?

Because it literally is art. And art includes a wide range of experiences, not just "fun".

Horror games aren't "fun" either, and they aren't supposed to be. They're supposed to make you feel negatively. That is their artistic goal.

Some gamers hate that and only want "fun", and that's fine. But it's absurd (not to mention mean) to demand the artistic medium of gaming only cater to that audience, and for all the other possibilities that gaming offers to be called illegitimate and reviewed poorly.

'teh emotions' are as legitimate as as 'teh mechanics'. I know that YOU don't feel that way, but millions of gamers do. Art exists to make us feel.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 locopatho

@i_p_daily said:

Again with the art BS.

Tell me this, if you played a game (not art) and found it to be a slog, boring, frustrating, and not FUN would you then turn around and give it a 9.5 or 100?

I'm betting you wouldn't, this is where all you guys seems to fall down. Nothing no matter how strange can hide the fact that these reviewers said these things then scored the game highly. I hope you enjoy it, but enough with the art analogy if well over used to mask how boring the game is.

Games ARE art. It's not BS and it's not an analogy.

You're (apparently) only interested in art that you consider to be fun and makes you happy, and that's fine.

But it's a simple fact that not all art sets out to be fun or make you happy. A work of art that leaves you angry or scared or bored can be just as good as one that makes you feel joy.

I already gave you examples of games that are NOT "fun", that are instead "a slog, boring, frustrating", and yet are brilliant and have reviewed well. You just ignored them.

I feel like I'm explaining metal music to my mother: "But why can't he just sing nicely instead of shouting?", lol

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 locopatho

@Bread_or_Decide: Levine didn't go insane or release shit though, he's working on a new game still. Been 6 years since Infinite, not an eternity considering both of his Bioshock titles took about 6/7 years to make.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:

if the game is really that good, why are we hearing excuses of 'teh art'?

Because it literally is art. And art includes a wide range of experiences, not just "fun".

Horror games aren't "fun" either, and they aren't supposed to be. They're supposed to make you feel negatively. That is their artistic goal.

Some gamers hate that and only want "fun", and that's fine. But it's absurd (not to mention mean) to demand the artistic medium of gaming only cater to that audience, and for all the other possibilities that gaming offers to be called illegitimate and reviewed poorly.

'teh emotions' are as legitimate as as 'teh mechanics'. I know that YOU don't feel that way, but millions of gamers do. Art exists to make us feel.

Okay, then let me reiterate: Why are we only giving a free pass to Kojima games then since every thing is art and quality gameplay is a non factor? Do you guys even see the contradictions and stupidity of your own arguments?

Every shit game or product then can be propped up by saying 'teh art'. It's about fun and mechanics. feeling scared or unsettling doesn't means you're not having fun.

'teh emotions' can never be as legitimate as gameplay. Games are an interactive medium not passive. You don't judge a main dish from sidelines.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Jag85 said:
@locopatho said:

Gaming, like any art, can be enjoyable for many reasons. Often, seemingly "negative" aspects can actually be what makes the game fun!

A shooter where a single bullet kills you might be considered more frustrating than one where you can take many hits... but that might lend the first game a super intense atmosphere that the second one lacks.

A racer where adjusting your engine setup, tires, etc is necessary to progress might be considered boring compared to the simple bright fun of Mario Kart... but the sim racer might boast more complexity and challenge for those willing to put in the effort.

A survival game with food, water, sleep, etc, meters to keep topped up might be considered dull busywork... but some gamers could consider it an interestingly accurate simulation of the difficulty and stress of surviving in a harsh land.

Or, if you prefer a non-game example, there are thousands of books, films and songs that focus on evoking negative emotions (boredom, fear, horror, sadness, anxiety, jealously, hatred, regret) in the person experiencing them. That is their point. Not all art exists to make us feel joyful fun.

I haven't played Death Stranding yet but am very excited to. Whether good, bad or in between, it's a weirdly unique work that nobody else in the industry (barring perhaps some poorly funded indies) would or could make. We need more strange, divisive games, not less.

This. Best post in this thread so far.

We're talking about a medium where gamers willingly choose the hardest difficult, where having the worst time is how they have the most fun.

But Death Stranding reviewers are lying because a frustrating game is still an amazing experience.

As general rule of thumb, a work should be reviewed according to the standards of its own genre, not by the standards of other genres. On one end of the spectrum, you have action games, which should be judged mainly on their action gameplay. On the other end of the spectrum, you have visual novels, which should be judged mainly on their writing. Then you have genres like adventure games, RPGs, strategy games, sports games, simulators, action-adventures, etc. When reviewing different genres, reviewers judge them according to different sets of criteria.

In the case of Death Stranding, reviewers are presented with a game that doesn't fit neatly into any particular genre. It's not clear what the game's genre is, whether it's a delivery management simulator, survival game, adventure game, cinematic movie game, parcel delivery simulator, fetch-quest simulator, open-world game, bridge-building game, etc. Whatever it is, it seems apparent that DS is not an action-oriented game. So it wouldn't make sense to judge it according to action game standards. It doesn't make sense to criticize a game for a lack of action when it's not even trying to be an action-oriented game.

Much of the gameplay appears to be about things like delivery management, survival mechanics, building bridges, online communication, virtual social media, and yes, fetch quests. Many reviews praised the delivery management system and survival mechanics, and found them surprisingly engaging. They also praised the story, cinematics and world-building. At the same time, a number of reviewers expressed disappointment and/or frustration at the lack of action, which is what they've come to expect from a Kojima game, but many of them logically determined that it shouldn't be a deal-breaker because it's not trying to be an action-oriented game in the first place. And most ended up finding the overall experience enjoyable.

In other words, there is no conspiracy. Reviewers are simply doing their jobs. They praised what the game does well (e.g. delivery management, survival mechanics, story, cinematics, world-building) and mentioned what it lacks (i.e. lack of action), with most focusing on what the game is actually about (not the action) and finding the overall experience enjoyable. Some folks need to get over themselves and stop peddling conspiracy theories, over a game that hasn't even come out yet. Conspiracy theories are just getting tired and boring now.

You sure about that? Because if I remember correctly Kojima called DS an action game like Uncharted when it was first announced.

It's ridiculous the amount of excuses people make for Kojima.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 DaVillain  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide: At this point, we'll gonna have to play the game for ourselves and see what's the fuss about this whole situation. Lets see what Death Stranding has to offer this Friday.

@locopatho said:
@i_p_daily said:

Again with the art BS.

Tell me this, if you played a game (not art) and found it to be a slog, boring, frustrating, and not FUN would you then turn around and give it a 9.5 or 100?

I'm betting you wouldn't, this is where all you guys seems to fall down. Nothing no matter how strange can hide the fact that these reviewers said these things then scored the game highly. I hope you enjoy it, but enough with the art analogy if well over used to mask how boring the game is.

Games ARE art. It's not BS and it's not an analogy.

You're (apparently) only interested in art that you consider to be fun and makes you happy, and that's fine.

But it's a simple fact that not all art sets out to be fun or make you happy. A work of art that leaves you angry or scared or bored can be just as good as one that makes you feel joy.

I already gave you examples of games that are NOT "fun", that are instead "a slog, boring, frustrating", and yet are brilliant and have reviewed well. You just ignored them.

I feel like I'm explaining metal music to my mother: "But why can't he just sing nicely instead of shouting?", lol

"Fun" can be subjective and can entail many things within a game. The story can be entertaining, (fun) graphics and sound can be entertaining, gameplay etc. I can list many so called masterpieces that the gameplay is just passable, not great, not bad either (there's actually little fun to be had there) and yet, their entertainment (fun) comes from other qualities of said game. The enjoyment of you getting from watching The Avengers movies isn't the same as that of Schindler's List. Hellblade can't be judged on the same merits and criteria as Smash Bros. Reviews should come with an attached disclaimer saying "I gave it a 9/10 but stay far away if you're expecting fun for the whole family."

To sum it up, I think they are misunderstanding the meaning of the word "fun" or assigning it meaning it doesn't actually convey. More likely what they mean to say is "the game lacks mass appeal" to the general audience.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 Jag85
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

"John Romero's about to make you his bitch!" With a tagline like that, it's understandable why so many gamers hated on Romero and Daikatana. He had it coming. But nowadays, he's a humble guy, and is a great insider source on the early history of video games, from FPS studios like id Software to JRPG studios like Squaresoft.

Peter Molyneux doesn't really come across as that arrogant to me, but more over-enthusiastic. He has ambitions and gets carried away with his promises, only to end up being unable to deliver on those promises. He made grand promises about games like Black & White and Fable, only for the final products to fall way short of his promises. But personally, I still enjoyed Fable regardless.

I don't really get the hate for Cliffy B though. But the hate for Itagaki is more understandable (especially now in the #MeToo era). As for Yu Suzuki, I think most people still respect him as a legend, but just have issues with the folks handling the Shenmue III Kickstarter (though I don't have an issue with it myself, as a backer).

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 Bread_or_Decide

@pc_rocks: @pc_rocks: The teaser trailer had a naked man on a beach holding a baby.

How did you get action game from that?

Subsequent trailers showed him walking and hiking.

And we got ONE scene with a gun in the gameplay reveal trailer.

So tell me where Kojima promised an action game. Proof please.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 locopatho

@pc_rocks said:

Why are we only giving a free pass to Kojima games then since every thing is art and quality gameplay is a non factor?

I am not giving anything a "free pass", I am not only applying this logic to Kojima and I never said "quality gameplay is a non factor". Stop making shit up.

What I am saying is that art can be considered high quality for many reasons, not just "is it fun?"

@pc_rocks said:

Every shit game or product then can be propped up by saying 'teh art'.

If it's an enjoyable work of art, then it isn't shit :)

@pc_rocks said:

It's about fun and mechanics. feeling scared or unsettling doesn't means you're not having fun.

Horror is the opposite of fun, it's an intensely negative emotion. You just aren't willing to admit that you enjoy "non-fun" games ;)

@pc_rocks said:

'teh emotions' can never be as legitimate as gameplay.

It's genuinely hilarious you think you can decree this, like Moses with his stone tablets of ultimate, divine truth :P

Suffice it to say, you don't get to tell other people if, how or why they enjoy works of art, lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 Jag85

@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

As general rule of thumb, a work should be reviewed according to the standards of its own genre, not by the standards of other genres. On one end of the spectrum, you have action games, which should be judged mainly on their action gameplay. On the other end of the spectrum, you have visual novels, which should be judged mainly on their writing. Then you have genres like adventure games, RPGs, strategy games, sports games, simulators, action-adventures, etc. When reviewing different genres, reviewers judge them according to different sets of criteria.

In the case of Death Stranding, reviewers are presented with a game that doesn't fit neatly into any particular genre. It's not clear what the game's genre is, whether it's a delivery management simulator, survival game, adventure game, cinematic movie game, parcel delivery simulator, fetch-quest simulator, open-world game, bridge-building game, etc. Whatever it is, it seems apparent that DS is not an action-oriented game. So it wouldn't make sense to judge it according to action game standards. It doesn't make sense to criticize a game for a lack of action when it's not even trying to be an action-oriented game.

Much of the gameplay appears to be about things like delivery management, survival mechanics, building bridges, online communication, virtual social media, and yes, fetch quests. Many reviews praised the delivery management system and survival mechanics, and found them surprisingly engaging. They also praised the story, cinematics and world-building. At the same time, a number of reviewers expressed disappointment and/or frustration at the lack of action, which is what they've come to expect from a Kojima game, but many of them logically determined that it shouldn't be a deal-breaker because it's not trying to be an action-oriented game in the first place. And most ended up finding the overall experience enjoyable.

In other words, there is no conspiracy. Reviewers are simply doing their jobs. They praised what the game does well (e.g. delivery management, survival mechanics, story, cinematics, world-building) and mentioned what it lacks (i.e. lack of action), with most focusing on what the game is actually about (not the action) and finding the overall experience enjoyable. Some folks need to get over themselves and stop peddling conspiracy theories, over a game that hasn't even come out yet. Conspiracy theories are just getting tired and boring now.

You sure about that? Because if I remember correctly Kojima called DS an action game like Uncharted when it was first announced.

...I was waiting for someone to mention that. Yes, Kojima did call it an "action game". And that's where the problem lies. Judging from the reviews, there's barely much action in the game. He marketed the game as something that it clearly isn't. Which isn't unusual for Kojima, who's pulled similar tricks before, e.g. hiding Raiden's existence from MGS2 promos, or initially hiding his own role as the director of MGS4 ("Alan Smithee") and MGSV ("Joakim Mogren").

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#422 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Anyone gotten the game early?

Would love to hear some user reviews before deciding to get this game

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 Bread_or_Decide

@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

...I was waiting for someone to mention that. Yes, Kojima did call it an "action game". And that's where the problem lies. Judging from the reviews, there's barely much action in the game. He marketed the game as something that it clearly isn't. Which isn't unusual for Kojima, who's pulled similar tricks before, e.g. hiding Raiden's existence from MGS2 promos, or initially hiding his own role as the director of MGS4 ("Alan Smithee") and MGSV ("Joakim Mogren").

Can we get a legit quote for when Kojima called it an action game?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 Bread_or_Decide

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 Bread_or_Decide

@Netret0120 said:

Anyone gotten the game early?

Would love to hear some user reviews before deciding to get this game

Will have mine tomorrow at 9pm. I will be MIA to avoid spoilers but will return when I'm done with the game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By Jag85
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Can we get a legit quote for when Kojima called it an action game?

Kojima quotes:

E3 2016: More Cryptic Death Stranding Details From Kojima

Metal Gear was an action game, but it was an action game where you happened to be hiding. There was no genre for that back then, and now it’s classified as a stealth game. In that regard, Death Stranding will also be an action game, but I want to make something new, something different.

Kojima's Death Stranding will be an action game, sort of

The player will be controlling Norman Reedus' character and it will be an action game if you really want to put a genre on it. For example, when I made Metal Gear, it was an action game but it was different because the main thing was about hiding. People eventually ended up calling that 'stealth action'. In this game the player will be controlling Norman but by playing it they will find something different, something that won't fit in established terms.

In other words, Kojima didn't mean it was literally an action game, but something that appears to be an action game. Much like how the original Metal Gear appeared to be an action game, but turned out to be something else, which we now call a stealth game. Kojima couldn't think of a name for whatever genre Death Stranding falls under, so he just called it an "action game" as a temporary placeholder until a name is coined for its genre, much like how Metal Gear was called an "action game" until the "stealth game" label was eventually coined.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#427 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide:

Thanks a lot. It would really be appreciated.

Seeing so many 10/10s and 4/10s. It is easily the most divisive AAA game of the gen.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

I'll go for "Action-Adventure" genre since this is an open-world adventure feel with danger and as such. but yeah, it's being label as Action....for now at least.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 PC_Rocks

@locopatho said:
@pc_rocks said:

Why are we only giving a free pass to Kojima games then since every thing is art and quality gameplay is a non factor?

I am not giving anything a "free pass", I am not only applying this logic to Kojima and I never said "quality gameplay is a non factor". Stop making shit up.

What I am saying is that art can be considered high quality for many reasons, not just "is it fun?"

@pc_rocks said:

Every shit game or product then can be propped up by saying 'teh art'.

If it's an enjoyable work of art, then it isn't shit :)

@pc_rocks said:

It's about fun and mechanics. feeling scared or unsettling doesn't means you're not having fun.

Horror is the opposite of fun, it's an intensely negative emotion. You just aren't willing to admit that you enjoy "non-fun" games ;)

@pc_rocks said:

'teh emotions' can never be as legitimate as gameplay.

It's genuinely hilarious you think you can decree this, like Moses with his stone tablets of ultimate, divine truth :P

Suffice it to say, you don't get to tell other people if, how or why they enjoy works of art, lol.

All your posts leading upto now definitely screams you're giving Kojima a free pass. Nobody said art has to be fun. We are discussing a game and it has to be. I mean in the following para you said if people enjoy art then it's good. Can you make up your mind?

Actually horror is also fun, cheap horror isn't. You get adrenaline rush for different things. Games are an interactive medium, things that make good use of it are objectively better games.

I don't have to decree this. It's a fact. Not just me but gaming legends like Warren Spector, Shigeru Miyomoto also believes this. Not a single person in this world will DC for a movie if it just shows pages of books on cinema screen for audience to read no matter how engrossing the writing in the book is. That's not what the medium is about, in the same way passive elements of the games can never and should never be given precedence over gameplay/mechanics.

Again, I'm not discussing art. We are discussing a shitty game which apparently all you apologists also knows that's why you're hiding behind 'but it's teh art'. How many other games were defended with such schtick?it' quite funny the amount of mental gymnastics people do to defend Kojima.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 PC_Rocks
@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

So, now are we defending 'false marketing'? Pretty sure if another company/studio/dev did this y'all will be giving them crap. How many times we have gone over lootboxes introduced to the game after being promised not to?

Again, Kojima's previous examples of Raiden, MGS4, PP etc. are not the same thing. You do know that, these two can't be equated.

You know it as well , none of you will be doing these mental gymnastics if DS was by some other dev.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@locopatho: Leave the art BS for the thread about that.

I'm sorry but nothing trumps fun when it comes to games, its why we play them.

I don't know about you but i have plenty of hobbies i play and don't have fun doing them, in fact they're a slog, boring and just frustrating, but hey i rate them highly like a 100/100 and recommend them to anyone.

Sounds absurd right? Well it should because it is.

And maybe you should ask someone else with better skills than yourself to explain heavy metal music to your mum :)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 PC_Rocks
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@pc_rocks: @pc_rocks: The teaser trailer had a naked man on a beach holding a baby.

Subsequent trailers showed him walking and hiking.

And we got ONE scene with a gun in the gameplay reveal trailer.

So tell me where Kojima promised an action game. Proof please.

Did I call it an action game? Ask its creator or better yet the fans that are DCing in this very thread. I always maintained the game is crap based on the trailers and whatever Kojima has shown. These people were defending it back then by saying Kojima is simply trolling and the gameplay won't be like that at all. I can name at least 3 people doing that: Jag, Dav, LiveCommander. Hell people said he's actually making fun of 'walking sims' by making those trailers.

It was also very well established way back by many of us 'haters' that reviewers will award it 10/10 by calling it art or sh*t like that in order to not appear to not understand the higher intellect of Kojima even when they don't know what they are talking about.

Oh as for the action part, this very site also did a whole video before release on why we should wait for the game to release and not just judge it based on trailers. The entire video was already an excuse for Kojima but then the review followed.

All in all, we are not hating as we never ever changed our argument. The only people that have gone back and forth and still doing are the cult of Kojima.

As for where did Kojima said it's action game:

Asked what kind of game Death Stranding is, Kojima said, "You can think of Death Stranding as an action game." The goal is for Death Stranding to be "very intuitive" so that players can jump in easily. At the same time, Death Stranding will offer a "certain new type of depth." Overall, Death Stranding aims to be "something that [players] might not have seen before," Kojima said.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-says-death-stranding-is-a-very-intuitive-op/1100-6448150/

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 Bread_or_Decide

@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

So, now are we defending 'false marketing'? Pretty sure if another company/studio/dev did this y'all will be giving them crap. How many times we have gone over lootboxes introduced to the game after being promised not to?

Again, Kojima's previous examples of Raiden, MGS4, PP etc. are not the same thing. You do know that, these two can't be equated.

You know it as well , none of you will be doing these mental gymnastics if DS was by some other dev.

You keep moving the goal post.

Good grief.

I went back and rewatched all the trailers shown over the last three years it's actually really impressive that the game's concept and gameplay is shown even in the first few trailers. Kojima never hid anything and I don't remember anyone saying that he was hiding some sort of amazing gameplay.

Heck, the biggest complaint is nobody knew what the game was or what the gameplay was going to be like. And yet, it was there all along, right in our faces. Hiking and delivery with survival elements.

The game never marketed itself as anything else.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 Bread_or_Decide

This is truly a great time. After tomorrow the game will never be a secret again. Its mysteries will be revealed to those of us who take the journey. I will enjoy this one moment where a little mystery still existed in this world.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#435  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I went back and rewatched all the trailers shown over the last three years it's actually really impressive that the game's concept and gameplay is shown even in the first few trailers. Kojima never hid anything and I don't remember anyone saying that he was hiding some sort of amazing gameplay.

Which trailers? I'm currently watching them, and the first 3 don't show much about the concept, let alone the gameplay. They imply that the BB's are an intrinsic element, but I don't see much beyond that. The fourth shows minimal gameplay elements. There's no definitive assumption so far.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 Bread_or_Decide

@lundy86_4 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Which trailers? I'm currently watching them, and the first 3 don't show much about the concept, let alone the gameplay. They imply that the BB's are an intrinsic element, but I don't see much beyond that. The fourth shows minimal gameplay elements. There's no definitive assumption so far.

The overall concept, world, and characters remained consistent since the teaser. Sam, BB, the mysterious dark figures, and the death stranding post-apocalyptic world concept. The teaser set up a few elements that still exist in the game.

The trailers that followed show Sam in his delivery gear. What's fascinating is that this idea was solid in Hideo's mind from the start. I would have expected some things to change or fall by the way side.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

Got my copy this morning. Played it for 5 hours, but i just couldn’t continue. The game got really boring fast. I still gave it a go cause i spend 65 on it, but there’s was really nothing to do, it was just a never ending journey with absolutely nothing to do.

PS, how do i post a pic? So you can see I have the game in my hands now.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

From the Giant Bomb review released today.

- Early on, this is a pain in the ass. You're constantly trying to navigate over rough terrain and through heavy patches of time rain and all you can do is hug the R2/L2 buttons to try to balance yourself.

- When you finally get vehicles, using them mostly sucks because you're constantly driving into rocks. When you finally get highways you can build, it starts to feel a little like American Truck Simulator...if you had to craft the truck and the roads yourself. And then the game just kind of gives up on that infrastructure stuff and sends you off to the mountains to criss-cross huge, snow-deluged peaks that take a very long time to get around. And then it asks you to do that a bunch more until the game is essentially over.

- I have several issues with Death Stranding, and one of them is pacing. This is a very lumpy game. The opening hours are a slog of endless, precarious walking and a near-constant deluge of new systems being presented to you. Then it just kind of settles into a rhythm of deliveries and discovering new places to deliver to, mostly putting the story on the back-burner until you finish the extremely long third chapter. After that, the A Hideo Kojima Production part of the game suddenly wakes up and you find yourself inundated with more cutscenes and character exposition than you'll ever know what to do with.

- The last hour and change of the game is basically one long run-on sentence that tries to tie up every remaining loose end where you don't really do anything at all except listen to it ramble on.

- To be absolutely clear: these parts of the game are never all that fun. They are not broken or really even difficult; they're merely an oft-tedious distraction. They're the thing you do that's most analogous to Kojima's previous works, but the fights are never very memorable. Whenever a BT section or boss fight cropped up, I often found myself annoyed that my delivery missions were being sidelined, and that is not something I expected to say about a game like this

- What is surprising is just how flat the vast majority of it all falls. In the Metal Gear series, Kojima's goofy tangents and batshit character monologues felt, to me at least, like amusing digressions set against the series' action cinema bravado. That stuff doesn't come off as well in what is essentially his version of an Andrei Tarkovsky movie. Nothing is allowed to be all that mysterious, and the game constantly tips its hand regarding things that might be considered twists or surprises. Whether it's through monologues, in-game emails and interviews, or someone just flatly stating the premise of what's going on out loud as obviously as possible, very little in Death Stranding is allowed to exist without overwhelming explanation.

- Frustratingly, I kept waiting for Death Stranding to offer something to say, something to justify the amount of breath spent explaining its most obvious metaphors and motivations. Unfortunately, it never gets there. Its early game musings on human connectedness and the need to bring people together never evolves over the 50 hours you'll spend playing it. The things it says at the beginning are pretty much the same things it's saying at the end, and none of those things are all that deep.

- At least now we know what the hell Death Stranding is: a disappointment.

2/5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Notice how that disco game got a 10 here beating Death Stranding and yet if you look at the very top of this page you will notice a link to all things Death Stranding lol.

Gamespot was never going to score it appropriately, heck Sony probably sponsors the link as "advertising" lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@i_p_daily: You may not like it but there are plenty of experiences elevated by the charm and thought put into it by its creator. You can call it “art BS” all you want. Heck even the Mona Lisa has its critics. You’re not the first to be offended by someones creation and you won’t be the last.

Hell, your reaction is so typical it’s almost boring.

Deadly premonition is frustrating at every turn and that game is a 9/10 for me. I can also say the same about Killer 7.

You keep trying to quantify the way others enjoy things. You should quit while your behind.

Damn you spew out some BS of your own, its no wonder you fangirl Kojima.

I'm not offended by this "creation" seriously its a video game, how you made that assumption is mind boggling, i'm talking about the dishonest reviews, have done from the start, if you want to make this a Kojima hating thing then that's on you not me.

How about answer me this, do you play games that are not fun, if so why would you torture yourself? because of its creators im betting.

See you take offence to the fact that people are criticizing the reviewers of your favourite creator and his "creation" (its still a video game) but hey you should of quit a long time ago as its embarrassing, quick pull up your pants as your bias is showing :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@goldenelementxl: I think that review just dissolved bread into crumbs :(

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 PC_Rocks

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

You keep moving the goal post.

Good grief.

Heck, the biggest complaint is nobody knew what the game was or what the gameplay was going to be like. And yet, it was there all along, right in our faces. Hiking and delivery with survival elements.

The game never marketed itself as anything else.

Where did I move the goal posts? So highlighting the hypocrisy of the cult is now moving goal posts? If anythingthe cult has been moving goal posts since the reveal to the reviews:

1. It's Kojima trolling

2. Wait for reviews

3. Teh Art

4. It's a new genre

5. You're a hater

6. Wait for release

Funnily enough I explicitly mentioned the people doing that flip flop and those were just the top of my head. There are countless threads to see who flip flopped and were constantly DC'ing for Kojima. I also explicitly linked the quote from 'teh auteur' him self. Hell he at one point also said DS is an action game like UC.

F*cking hell. I'm done with this crap arguing with the cult like you. You keep projecting your flaws to me by making all sorts of ridiculous excuses.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@neogeo2k2 said:

Got my copy this morning. Played it for 5 hours, but i just couldn’t continue. The game got really boring fast. I still gave it a go cause i spend 65 on it, but there’s was really nothing to do, it was just a never ending journey with absolutely nothing to do.

PS, how do i post a pic? So you can see I have the game in my hands now.

PS4/Xbox One posting pics, you gotta send them to either Facebook or Twitter and upload them into your computer and post pics here. I never done it before on consoles since I'm always on my PC and having a PC makes it so much easier to post pics here on Gamespot. I'll be posting pics here as well for the first time doing so on a console.

Edit: I have Twitter and I'll give it a try on that social media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@locopatho:

Holy shit at the pretentiousness of your posts. A game with mediocre gameplay is a mediocre game. No amount of pretentious word salads is going to change that fact.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 uninspiredcup

Jesus Christ.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 Bread_or_Decide

@i_p_daily: You can stop calling the reviewers liars. They’re not.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 Bread_or_Decide

@i_p_daily: More conspiracy theories.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup: It’s almost like they know it’s the biggest game of the fall season, weird.

CONSPIRAZY!!!!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@uninspiredcup: It’s almost like they know it’s the biggest game of the fall season, weird.

CONSPIRAZY!!!!

Yes, desperate click-baiting where the established gets all coverage to the point of parody is nothing worth complaining about or taking note of, because its now standard practice, and therefor beyond criticism.

Sorry bros.

Love Death Stranding. Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.Love Death Stranding.

BUY THE FUCKING GAME.

etc...

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: So youve played it?