Death Stranding, Hideo Kojimas M.Shyamalan moment?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

uninspiredcup  Online

Poll Death Stranding, Hideo Kojimas M.Shyamalan moment? (36 votes)

Game will suck 64%
incredible art 36%

When M.Shyamalan made The Sixth Sense he was declared a genius. Literally -

No Caption Provided

Then, soon we realized he was M.Shyamalan.

Lady In Water was his magnum opus, a studio investing him tons of money, his ego absolutely rampant, literally putting himself in the movie as a Jesus figure.

Unrelated -

No Caption Provided

Is Death Stranding the turning point where people realize Hideo Kojima ain't all that? Is this his Lady In The Water moment?

No Caption Provided

----------------------

Split was gud though.

• 
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Yeah that “fallen legend” thing was some serious licking of one’s own anus. The jury is out on Death Stranding because we know nothing of playing it yet.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm not a fan of rampantly abstract pieces of work.

I like well constructed things that I can ponder and dissect.

I feel like death stranding is Hideo going full abstract. He doesn't have to make anything mean anything. Let the player impose meaning on it and call it a masterpiece.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I find myself thinking of this game similar to how I thought of the last guardian. Similar in the way that I imagine the game could be amazing and nailing what it intended to do based on past projects but when the game comes out it really could be just bland, hollow, and making me lose interest within a few hours.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Shyamalan has been making a comeback in recent years though. The Visit was decent. Split was really good. And Glass is one of the most anticipated movies of 2019.

As for Death Stranding, what I've seen of it so far looks a bit... worrying. The trailers just don't look that good so far. Still hoping the final turns out good though.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Shyamalan has been making a comeback in recent years though. The Visit was decent. Split was really good. And Glass is one of the most anticipated movies of 2019.

As for Death Stranding, what I've seen of it so far looks a bit... worrying. The trailers just don't look that good so far. Still hoping the final turns out good though.

But signs was such a shitty movie. It's unforgivably shitty. Thankfully Kojima does not have a mark like this in his record.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Unlike Kojima, I was never a fan of Mr. Shamallama.

From what I've seen, I'm not interested in Death Stranding.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@Jag85 said:

After watching the gameplay from E3 2018, I was not all that impress at all! I know this is too early to tell but even I'm worrying about Kojima himself. I know Kojima likes to troll his fans but he needs to show us some really good gameplay at least. Don't know if I'll get Death Stranding but I do hope it turns out okay in the end.

Also, I'm hype for Glass and M. Night Shyamalan has really making a good comeback in recent memories.

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

But signs was such a shitty movie. It's unforgivably shitty. Thankfully Kojima does not have a mark like this in his record.

To be fair, after The Last Airbender from M. Night Shyamalan, The Signs redeem itself for me however. The Last Airbender was just so bad and the only thing I can say one good thing from it is the special effects were good.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#8 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

Even if it turns out bad, truthfully you would be cherry picking him at this point considering MGS 1-5 were, I'm sorry, are the pinnacle of great gaming.

For instance valve has released tons of great games like Portal, Dota 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike but I don't cherry pick them on behalf of how bad Half-Life 2 is.

Just my thought.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Jag85 said:

I disagree. Signs is a near Hitchcock level masterpiece.

Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village, and Unbreakable put Shyamalan in my book as a top tier director/film maker.

Sure he fell out, many do, but he's back on track with terrific work like the visit and split.

I guess you haven't played the Phantom Pain or Peace Walker if you don't think Kojima's ever fallen off the wagon.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bread_or_Decide

@pyro1245 said:

How original, someone online making fun of his name...cue eye roll.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58851 Posts

Agree with people who say Unbreakable was better than The Sixth Sense. As far as "realistic take" comic book movies go, it's arguably the best.

Split managed to set up a cinematic universe better than DC lol.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:

How original, someone online making fun of his name...cue eye roll.

meh it was easier than checking.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Kojima may actually be the next Andy Kaufman and the joke's on us!

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:

Agree with people who say Unbreakable was better than The Sixth Sense. As far as "realistic take" comic book movies go, it's arguably the best.

Split managed to set up a cinematic universe better than DC lol.

His camera movement and direction in Unbreakable is damn near inspired and should be studied in film school.

The greatest surprise was watching Split and hearing the unbreakable theme start to play. I almost shat myself.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

After the dissapointment that was MGSV, Kojima needs to convince me again...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

So far its only interesting PS4 game looks like. if it become good as it hype i will think of getting PS4.

@knight-k said:

After the dissapointment that was MGSV,

Agreed. MGS5 was just bland and boring. i cant believe how this get 10/10.

but then again none of MGS been good after original MGS.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

So far its only interesting PS4 game looks like. if it become good as it hype i will think of getting PS4.

@knight-k said:

It's the most overrated game of this gen easily before I was thinking Witcher 3 was but MSGV definitely is. It wasn't even finished which is crazy if Death Stranding turns out to be a walking simulator I will avoid it like the plague.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Twin Snakes was far better. It made the cutscenes the way kojima would have made them if he had 100 percent freedom when directing MGS 1 on PS1.

Twin Snakes allows you to skip codecs dialogues(Which original didn't), reduced the backtracking , added a game over if discovered difficulty , made graphics much better and lots of gameplay features from 2 that even if you don't like them(like the first person mode) you can not use them at all.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jag85

@uninspiredcup: The Unbreakable-verse is the only superhero cinematic universe I'm interested in besides the MCU (DCEU sucks).

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bread_or_Decide

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@knight-k said:

It's the most overrated game of this gen easily before I was thinking Witcher 3 was but MSGV definitely is. It wasn't even finished which is crazy if Death Stranding turns out to be a walking simulator I will avoid it like the plague.

I put 90 hours into MGSV and I can say holy cow is that not a 10/10. But of course when you're limited to 40 hours in a Konami boot camp you'll never play enough to see how much the game really grinds you down into pulp.

It's a 7/10 by metal gear standards.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Elon Musk (of driveless car fame) has become the next M.Shyamalan, not Hideo Kojima. He is also showing signs of being the next Howard Hughes.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Jag85 said:

Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village, and Unbreakable put Shyamalan in my book as a top tier director/film maker.

Sure he fell out, many do, but he's back on track with terrific work like the visit and split.

I guess you haven't played the Phantom Pain or Peace Walker if you don't think Kojima's ever fallen off the wagon.

I wouldn't go that far, but Signs was a good movie. And The Village is decent too.

But after that, he started shitting out garbage like Lady in the Water, The Happening, Last Airbender and After Earth.

But now that he's finally back to making good movies again, like The Visit and Split, all is forgiven. And now Glass is one of my most-anticipated movies of 2019.

As for Kojima, he's proven with The Phantom Pain that he can still make great gameplay. But it's his storytelling that has fallen off the wagon.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I already know Kojima is not all that, waiting for the the rest of the world to catch up lol

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I'll reserve judgement until I learn wtf this game is actually about.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I’m very confident that Death Stranding will be a fantastic game, definitely one of my most hyped for games that I know of. I haven’t been disappointed with any of the Metal Gear Solid games that he’s worked on.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

I have always not expected some masterfull story telling in Kojima. What I expect is just weird entertaining shit, good for fans to play around with. I'm more interested in how the game open world will play mechanically. I hope he doesn't think he is lets say Neil Druckman where it start to effect the gameplay design. I would laugh if there is another character design like QUITE just to f*** with Sony's recent stance. Also jut to mess with Druckman venting about Quite, about games not being true to there characters. Games not respecting characters. I want to see interesting boss fights interaction. I want the gameplay to be systemic. Interested in the online gameplay rumours that sort of thing. So far Death Stranding has shown none of that except hollywood actors and there performances. Cool cinematics but where is the classic gameplay mechanic trailer that he usually cuts. Things like that makes me worry that he has already lost himself into film making fantasy.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

I wouldn't go that far, but Signs was a good movie. And The Village is decent too.

But after that, he started shitting out garbage like Lady in the Water, The Happening, Last Airbender and After Earth.

But now that he's finally back to making good movies again, like The Visit and Split, all is forgiven. And now Glass is one of my most-anticipated movies of 2019.

As for Kojima, he's proven with The Phantom Pain that he can still make great gameplay. But it's his storytelling that has fallen off the wagon.

Signs is filled with insultingly bad depictions of extra-terrestrial life and multiple basic science blunders, so bad that its insulting to watch -- all to make a point justifying a war of extermination, which makes it even worse (guys, there were no WMDs in Iraq if you haven't realized yet, it was another lie put out buy the NYT to dupe the population into supporting an imperialist war).

I could begin to go down the list of dumb shit in signs, like an "intelligent" species "intelligent" enough to break the speed of light barrier to visit another planet only to make dumb fuckin crop circles and jump on roofs naked like jungle man, but yeah, I'll stick to that one for now.

The other stuff you said about Kojima I can agree with. He slipped with V in the storytelling and cohesive plot dept (especially given the period of history it depicts; he conveniently leaves out major historical events to tell his narrative, but whatever). It's pretty bad compared to MGS1 and 2, or even MG2, but the game was still absolutely great though. Not as insulting as Signs.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Videogames are not the right medium for the surreal or abstract.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Signs: Aliens that are fatally allergic to water, decide to conquer a planet that is filled with water. They are easily defeated.

Genius movie.

Trouble with Kojima is that he clearly has ADHD. He cannot concentrate, or keep to a certain plan. He keeps changing Death Stranding and keeps changing his opinion and plan for the game. Like on weekly basis.

His employees are going crazy, as every f-ing week Kojima comes in and says, hey, lets start from clean slate! Just abandon everything! I have decided that Death Stranding will be a love story based on planet Venus in the alternate victorian universe based on Jules Verne fan fiction. Great idea, eh, team???

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@dorog1995 said:

@ghosts4ever: Twin Snakes was far better. It made the cutscenes the way kojima would have made them if he had 100 percent freedom when directing MGS 1 on PS1.

Twin Snakes allows you to skip codecs dialogues(Which original didn't), reduced the backtracking , added a game over if discovered difficulty , made graphics much better and lots of gameplay features from 2 that even if you don't like them(like the first person mode) you can not use them at all.

Gonna be an edge-lord and disagree. The maps in Metal Gear Solid where not made for Metal Gear Solid 2's gameplay. And the cutscenes tended to be over-the-top, with that horrid Metal Gear Solid 2 style action music.

Compared to later games Metal Gear Solid is dystopian/melancholic in tone, it feels small scale compared to the try-hard nature of the later entries, espcailly 4, which is straight up a mess. Twin Snakes completely removes that aspect, it has a generic quality to it.

A good example is the car chase. Repetitive down-beat choir keyboard music, hard-shadows with dark reds in a claustrophobic environments. Thanks to the hardware, the draw-distance acts like a black fog adding to the effect, as it did with Tomb Raider.

Loading Video...

And then Twin Snakes. Generic "hero" music. A boring grey color-palette with flat graduated shadows. It's just straight up inferior.

Loading Video...

Later Metal Gear Solid games suffer from this too. Metal Gear Solid 4 is positively bland looking visually.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jag85
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Jag85 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Signs is filled with insultingly bad depictions of extra-terrestrial life and multiple basic science blunders, so bad that its insulting to watch -- all to make a point justifying a war of extermination, which makes it even worse (guys, there were no WMDs in Iraq if you haven't realized yet, it was another lie put out buy the NYT to dupe the population into supporting an imperialist war).

I could begin to go down the list of dumb shit in signs, like an "intelligent" species "intelligent" enough to break the speed of light barrier to visit another planet only to make dumb fuckin crop circles and jump on roofs naked like jungle man, but yeah, I'll stick to that one for now.

The other stuff you said about Kojima I can agree with. He slipped with V in the storytelling and cohesive plot dept (especially given the period of history it depicts; he conveniently leaves out major historical events to tell his narrative, but whatever). It's pretty bad compared to MGS1 and 2, or even MG2, but the game was still absolutely great though. Not as insulting as Signs.

I agree that Signs is a bad sci-fi movie. But it's a good drama.

It was a good movie up until the aliens showed up and ruined the movie. There just wasn't any need for aliens to show up at the end. It would've been a better movie without that.

Even if the story did fall short, MGSV is still a great game, with stellar gameplay. But many just weren't happy about the lack of story, which is something many fans had come to expect from Kojima.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Jokes on anyone who has any expectations from Kojima.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Jag85 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Why aren't aliens also allowed to make mistakes? I never understood this. We have amazing technology too and we're the dumbest species in the universe. Aliens can master interstellar travel and still make mistakes too.

Humans are incredibly nit picky.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bread_or_Decide

@Jag85 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Jag85 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

I agree that Signs is a bad sci-fi movie. But it's a good drama.

It was a good movie up until the aliens showed up and ruined the movie. There just wasn't any need for aliens to show up at the end. It would've been a better movie without that.

Even if the story did fall short, MGSV is still a great game, with stellar gameplay. But many just weren't happy about the lack of story, which is something many fans had come to expect from Kojima.

It's what one calls, soft scifi. So really, the trek nerds can take their glass nudging nit picks elsewhere. War of the worlds has the same ending and its a classic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
@uninspiredcup said:
@dorog1995 said:

Gonna be an edge-lord and disagree. The maps in Metal Gear Solid where not made for Metal Gear Solid 2's gameplay. And the cutscenes tended to be over-the-top, with that horrid Metal Gear Solid 2 style action music.

Compared to later games Metal Gear Solid is dystopian/melancholic in tone, it feels small scale compared to the try-hard nature of the later entries, espcailly 4, which is straight up a mess. Twin Snakes completely removes that aspect, it has a generic quality to it.

A good example is the car chase. Repetitive down-beat choir keyboard music, hard-shadows with dark reds in a claustrophobic environments. Thanks to the hardware, the draw-distance acts like a black fog adding to the effect, as it did with Tomb Raider.

And then Twin Snakes. Generic "hero" music. A boring grey color-palette with flat graduated shadows. It's just straight up inferior.

Later Metal Gear Solid games suffer from this too. Metal Gear Solid 4 is positively bland looking visually.

So ? do not use the gameplay features of MGS 2. Do not use the first person shooting. And it will be the same game.

And don't know why you love the fogs ? Fogs have never been considered as a plus point and even it was a huge mistake that Silent Hill 2 and 3 used fogs.(Also old TR games aren't better than new ones due to fogs but due to superior level design, platforming and puzzles)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup  Online
@dorog1995 said:

And don't know why you love the fogs ? Fogs have never been considered as a plus point and even it was a huge mistake that Silent Hill 2 and 3

Explained, and wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@uninspiredcup: Silent Hill games were designed to be adventure games where exploration is one of the main aspects. By making areas dark they made that part annoying and boring.(Since you have to search every square to see if there is any item that you haven't spotted)

It works well if you had a good control over your flashlight(And having a first person or behind the shoulder 3rd person view) but it didn't work well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@dorog1995 said:

@uninspiredcup: Silent Hill games were designed to be adventure games where exploration is one of the main aspects. By making areas dark they made that part annoying and boring.(Since you have to search every square to see if there is any item that you haven't spotted)

It works well if you had a good control over your flashlight(And having a first person or behind the shoulder 3rd person view) but it didn't work well.

The fog in Silent Hill is iconic. The fog taps into to the idea of the unknown and isolation. It's used excellently in Tomb Raider 2, with one of the most memorable moments in the game (and one of the best demos made) involving a T-Rex charging the player from the darkness. It's unexpected, makes the player panic, and then another one comes on top of that.

Loading Video...

The T-Rex is Tomb Raider: Anniversary by comparison is absolutely terrible A obvious, trite movie is used with, a clear "arena" environment with promps, slow-mo kewl kewl Matrix moves and obnoxious QTE's. It's artificial with absolutely no tension.

Loading Video...

For all it's dated graphics Tomb Raider 2's is more immersive and effective, partially because of it's limited view-field.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@uninspiredcup: Wasn't it Tomb Raider 1 that had the T Rex ? The second game from what I've been played(Since I bought the 9 first TR games) didn't have a T Rex.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide:

South Park did it best. Gets me every time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@dorog1995: Multiple game have a T-Rex. It's a secret area in the opening level. Which you wouldn't really get now as the level design is so simplified and obvious. Probably be paid DLC lol Not even joking, they'd fucking sell it as dlc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@uninspiredcup said:

@dorog1995: Multiple game have a T-Rex. It's a secret area in the opening level.

Oh I see. I didn't find that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup: I also forgot about the secret T-rex. But that's just one of numerous touches that made classic Tomb Raider games so good. While their controls have aged badly (because they were made for D-pad), their puzzle-platforming and action-adventure game design are better than most modern action-adventure games.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@Jag85: Never heard of Split before your post. Watched it on your recommendation, and it was excellent. Thanks.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jag85

@sealionact: Actually, OP mentioned Split before me in this thread... Still, glad you enjoyed it. Next up is Glass!