Dean Takahashi, certified genius, amends negative Mass Effect review.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

He's a journalist for the San Jose Mercury News who at one point wrote a very negative review of Mass Effect (he titled the review "Mass Defect", as a start). Recently, he amended that review after a second playthrough. The reason? He... forgot to assign talent points the first time around. I don't think I would've even believed that if it didn't come from the man himself:

When so many readers wrote in to tell me that I messed up my review of Mass Effect, I had to take a second look. It turns out, you were right. I was wrong. I owe an apology to you for writing a bad review. I also apologize to BioWare, which made a better game than I thought, and gulp, to Microsoft. The game play is not as flawed as I thought.Dean Takahashi

The dumb thing about the way I played the game, as many pointed out, is that I didn't make use of my Talent Points. I started the game doing so, but while on Feros, I didn't pay attention to all the Talent Points I was accumulating after every encounter. Those points just sat there. They were waiting for me to assign them to specific character trait improvements...A lot of positive effects flowed from this expanded repertoire in game play.Dean Takahashi

That last line is hilarious, such an understatement. Did this guy think he was playing GRAW In Space? Kinda makes you wonder how many other reviews of Mass Effect, and other games in general, are skewed because of the inability of the reviewer to properly play the game. It's because of stuff like this that you can't really blame Bioshock for the quest arrow and item shimmering. I mean this guy's supposed to be a professional critic.

And everything is explained in detail in the ME manual, anyway. Not every game needs to include a built-in, extended tutorial. Some in-depth menu tutorial would've hurt Mass Effect's atmosphere and taken you out of the game. RPGs don't need menu tutorials. Remember Barrett teaching you about materia in FF7? I know you could skip it, but good lord that was tedious.

Props to Takahashi for having the balls and integrity to admit his mistake, though. You don't see that often.

Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
Maybe this kinda hints that this guy rarely plays RPG's. To review a game then you have to have actual experience with the genre.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Reviews are all based on personal opinion, so it stands to reason that reviews are based on how the person plays the game and of course their ability to play the game.
ss_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ss_49
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts

Wow...just wow.

This is why he's just some tool writing for a local newspaper...

Game reviewing should be left to the professionals.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37792 Posts
I knew he was playing the game wrong. there were too many errors in his review.You could tell he wrote it in frustration. That was his first mistake.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Props to Takahashi for having the balls and integrity to admit his mistake, though. You don't see that often.

Zeliard9

Agreed, but....

LOL.

Not assigning talent points in an RPG? He thought it was a shooter didn't he?

Avatar image for SpigleyMcCheese
SpigleyMcCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpigleyMcCheese
Member since 2007 • 3242 Posts
To be fair, Mass Effect wasn't exactly brilliant at explaining its own gameplay. It was several hours into the game before I discovered weapon customisation, for instance.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

I knew he was playing the game wrong.heretrix

yes you did.. thanx for pointing that out to me.

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
Whoa, he beat the game without leveling? Hardcore.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zeliard9

To be fair, Mass Effect wasn't exactly brilliant at explaining its own gameplay. It was several hours into the game before I discovered weapon customisation, for instance.SpigleyMcCheese

That's more understandable than forgetting about talent points. I mean experience points are the basis for pretty much every RPG ever, and in ME, XP is mainly there to give you talent points every level. How you can "forget" about XP while playing an RPG is mystifying to me. It's almost like playing an FPS and forgetting that you can shoot.

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WuTangG
Member since 2007 • 2189 Posts

Did you read some of his comments, hes such a n00b, in fact hes the biggest attention seeker in the gaming industry

OMG OMG OMG, hes so valiant for giving back MSs gifts AFTER reviewing Halo 3. One thing i know is that its put this loser on the map and now we are laughing at him:lol:

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

This bothers me immensely. Not for the negative review, but the fact that a professional game reviewer admits to playing a 20+ hour RPG incorrectly for only 8 hours before writing his review.

Makes me wonder what other reviewers only skim through games before writing a review, and really makes me wish reviewers would post GamerTags with their 360 reviews to show that they actually invested some time into a game before writing a review.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpruceCaboose

OMG OMG OMG, hes so valiant for giving back MSs gifts AFTER reviewing Halo 3. One thing i know is that its put this loser on the map and now we are laughing at him:lol:WuTangG

Just for giggles, why don't we entertain the notion that BioWare sent him $800 in swag, and that is the reason his review of it got better? :P

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WuTangG

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]OMG OMG OMG, hes so valiant for giving back MSs gifts AFTER reviewing Halo 3. One thing i know is that its put this loser on the map and now we are laughing at him:lol:SpruceCaboose

Just for giggles, why don't we entertain the notion that BioWare sent him $800 in swag, and that is the reason his review of it got better? :P

You my friend are a genius:lol:
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

Whoa, he beat the game without leveling? Hardcore.Guiltfeeder566

indeed...

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]OMG OMG OMG, hes so valiant for giving back MSs gifts AFTER reviewing Halo 3. One thing i know is that its put this loser on the map and now we are laughing at him:lol:WuTangG

I honestly couldn't believe I don't here that more from the cynics.

He was a saint and an honest every-man for giving the evil MS their free gifts back (even though it is an industry practice that many companies do, albeit probably not at the level MS was for their baby Halo 3), yet now, when he admits he completely screwed up doing his job at best, we should give him a break because he admitted he was wrong?

Sorry, no. When your job is to accurately review something, and you play less than half of it, and forget about using a major game mechanic, and then proceed to rail the game for your mistakes, that is completely unacceptable, and very unprofessional.

I say he gets what he deserves, and that is ridicule from the gaming masses. He was inept at best, and that is cause for lulz.

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WuTangG
[QUOTE="WuTangG"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

[QUOTE="WuTangG"]OMG OMG OMG, hes so valiant for giving back MSs gifts AFTER reviewing Halo 3. One thing i know is that its put this loser on the map and now we are laughing at him:lol:SpruceCaboose

I honestly couldn't believe I don't here that more from the cynics.

He was a saint and an honest every-man for giving the evil MS their free gifts back (even though it is an industry practice that many companies do, albeit probably not at the level MS was for their baby Halo 3), yet now, when he admits he completely screwed up doing his job at best, we should give him a break because he admitted he was wrong?

Sorry, no. When your job is to accurately review something, and you play less than half of it, and forget about using a major game mechanic, and then proceed to rail the game for your mistakes, that is completely unacceptable, and very unprofessional.

I say he gets what he deserves, and that is ridicule from the gaming masses. He was inept at best, and that is cause for lulz.

Yep thats right, the Cows were all over him but now hes a joke, he made his own downfall now lets go back to laughing at him:lol:
Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts

There is also an auto-leveling for each characters...But i doubt he used it

Also Mass Effect gets some really good gameplay wise after leveling up

WuTangG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WuTangG

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Whoa, he beat the game without leveling? Hardcore.ProductNumber49

There is also an auto-leveling for each characters...But i doubt he used it

Also Mass Effect gets some really good gameplay wise after leveling up

Auto-levelling in BioWare games are a joke, you are a qualified n00b if you use them, and this guy think hes cool because he apparantly 'didnt level':lol:
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Wow. Epic failure is epic.

Props to Takahashi for having the balls and integrity to admit his mistake, though. You don't see that often.Zeliard9

True. But how the hell did he even manage to overlook something like that? Jesus..that's a feat in itself. Every time he pressed start he should've seen the freaking huge "SQUAD" button flashing, notifying him of undistributed skill points.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zeliard9

[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]Props to Takahashi for having the balls and integrity to admit his mistake, though. You don't see that often.Velocitas8

True. But how the hell did he even manage to overlook something like that? Jesus..that's a feat in itself. Every time he pressed start he should've seen the freaking huge "SQUAD" button flashing, notifying him of undistributed skill points.

Haha yeah, I didn't even think about that. That's true. It almost makes you wonder if he even played the game or just read up on it. He takes obliviousness to a whole new level.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

Wow...just wow.

This is why he's just some tool writing for a local newspaper...

Game reviewing should be left to the professionals.

ss_49

There's such thing as a professional game reviewer? :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 61809 Posts
how the fudge did he finish the game without upgrading his character.

The enemies at the end get stronger also. They are at the same level you are and are expected to have your character built up for it.

The couldnt have been that easy if he played as a soldier or something, cause they are so weak agains biotics

And biotics are so bad at taking damage since they cant get bigger armor

I think he just couldnt handle the hate mail. Because i honestly doubt he finished the game without upgrading.
pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts
what the #### did this guy even read the manually.:D
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zeliard9

how the fudge did he finish the game without upgrading his character.

The enemies at the end get stronger also. They are at the same level you are and are expected to have your character built up for it.

The couldnt have been that easy if he played as a soldier or something, cause they are so weak agains biotics

And biotics are so bad at taking damage since they cant get bigger armor

I think he just couldnt handle the hate mail. Because i honestly doubt he finished the game without upgrading.jg4xchamp

I'm wondering that too, how he could have gotten too far without leveling up. Possibly the funniest thing about all this is that he admits he used talent points at first. So he obviously knew about their existence. But then he's on Feros (one of the very first quest planets in the game) and somehow completely forgets about them? That's actually quite an accomplishment. He's got the memory of Guy Pearce in Memento.

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts

That deserves an achievement >_>;;.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58250 Posts
Good to see him amend his review..Thats classy SanDiego
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

To be fair, Mass Effect wasn't exactly brilliant at explaining its own gameplay. It was several hours into the game before I discovered weapon customisation, for instance.SpigleyMcCheese

i found out about weapon mods while on eden prime....but there certainly are a lot of things the game just doesnt explain how to do, or just doesnt explain well enough

its still an amazing game though and im loving it. im currently 18 hours into it

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Whoa, he beat the game without leveling? Hardcore.aznfool07

That deserves an achievement >_>;;.

seriously....

hardcore is right

silentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silentobi
Member since 2006 • 1495 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]Props to Takahashi for having the balls and integrity to admit his mistake, though. You don't see that often.Velocitas8

Man that thing flashed after every fight. Infact it flashed so many times that Iactuallygota little annoyed. What's his gametag I can't believe he finishedMass effect without upgradinghis skillpoints. That's likewinning a nascar race without driving.
dk_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dk_2007
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts

Infact this is the proof that he reviewed the game without even finishing it. I think he might not have played even 20% of the game.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zeliard9

[QUOTE="Guiltfeeder566"]Whoa, he beat the game without leveling? Hardcore.dk_2007

Infact this is the proof that he reviewed the game without even finishing it. I think he might not have played even 20% of the game.

It really makes you wonder just how much of the game he DID play. It's just amusing, because it's like, was he just playing it as a shooter? He must have literally forgotten not just about the talent points, but that he was playing an RPG, because almost every RPG involves strengthening your character by winning battles. And he somehow ignored that.