mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

The Last Guardian was 10 years in the making, but it was outsold at launch by Dead Rising 4.

Not only that, but the PlayStation 4 exclusive sold fewer copies in its week of release than Dead Rising 4 did just via its physical Xbox One release.

UK numbers company Chart-Track does not count digital downloads. There are no physical PC copies recorded sold of Dead Rising 4, which launched last Tuesday compared to The Last Guardian's Friday release - meaning it had another few days on sale.

Both The Last Guardian and Dead Rising 4 arrived in the chart below Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, FIFA 17, Battlefield 1 and Final Fantasy 15.

Dead Rising 4 entered the chart in fifth. Watch Dogs 2 was sixth. The Last Guardian was seventh.

Pokémon Sun, Skyrim Special Edition and Pokémon Moon filled out the rest of the top 10.

One happier note for The Last Guardian - it outsold the first week sales of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, the two earlier games from creator Fumito Ueda.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-12-dead-rising-4-outsold-the-last-guardian

Haven't played neither of them but this is not good, i mean Dead Rising 4 is just another cliche zombie game bringing nothing new to the table , on the other hand, The Last Guardian seems to be one hell of a memorable adventure ... wish it wasn't exclusive.

With that being said, this doesn't surprise me, one is the forth installment of a somewhat popular franchise, the other is a game with a goddamn troubled development and is kinda niche.

Thoughts?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

Self aware fun game triumphs over arty farty hipster game, that looks like a PS3 game, and runs like shit.

Pleasing stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@mjorh: To be honest i don't care what outsold what, but you've opened up a can of worms, and all i can say is...

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

That's great both games deserve the sales. I should get DR4 I have money on my live account.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mjorh

@uninspiredcup said:

Self aware fun game triumphs over arty farty hipster game, that looks like a PS3 game, and runs like shit.

Pleasing stuff.

The former can be easily found while the latter not :P

And in terms of performance and stuff, you're right.

@i_p_daily said:

@mjorh: To be honest i don't care what outsold what, but you've opened up a can of worms, and all i can say is...

lmao, i'm gonna grab my popcorn and enjoy peasants tearing each other apart

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#6 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Uh oh.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

*Sales in UK, for a week.

Of course, we are comparing a comparatively new-ish, troubled, niche IP vs. a more popular franchises fourth installment as well.

Well, SotC and ICO sold less in the same time frame on the #1 selling console of all time (PS2), so at least TLG has that going for it.

Kudos to any publisher willing to take chances on releasing good/excellent games that may or may not be hot sellers.

Not sure if TLG will ever find sales success, I certainly remember the previous games not setting the world on fire, but gamers that love Team ICOs games should be happy that TLG even released (most publishers would have pulled the plug).

------

@jg4xchamp said:

Sequel on two platforms versus a new ip.

An action game versus an artsy adventure game.

Zombies versus boy with giant version of catdog.

Pretty obvious what game was going to sell more. That said I'll take my chances with an Ueda game and just replay Dead Rising 1 when I'm in the mood for a Dead Rising fix. Since they took what was genuinely a great game, and then proceeded to take out everything that made it enjoyable and unique in the first place.

Great post.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts
@mjorh said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Pleasing stuff.

And in term of performance and stuff, you're right.

In typical hipster fashion the defense will no doubt be "well it's niche the mass audience is too stupid and not refined enough to get it", as a fairly pathetic attempt to validate it's failure.

These younger users running round shouting "masterpiece" was a very annoying experience. It's good to see the game put in it's place by simple, unpretentious fun.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

so a shitty game tops another shitty game. At least I top both with my mighty fifa 17

In two days I'll open up another 100$ in packs, hope I get a legend, already packed crespo in september.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

To sell to the clueless plebs, it needed a high score on IGN, the only site they follow. I do hope the game is profitable, i want more masterpieces from that dev, and if there is other games from them, it better stay exactly like TLG but with better visuals.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Looking forward to dead rising 4, but I can wait till march when it releases on steam

Not any interest in the last guardian

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mjorh

@uninspiredcup said:
@mjorh said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Pleasing stuff.

And in term of performance and stuff, you're right.

In typical hipster fashion the defense will no doubt be "well it's niche the mass audience is too stupid and not refined enough to get it", as a fairly pathetic attempt to validate it's failure.

These younger users running round shouting "masterpiece" was a very annoying experience. It's good to see the game put in it's place by simple, unpretentious fun.

Well, i haven't played the game so i can't really weigh in on its quality, but i do like it when a game tries sth new to be successful commercially.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjorh

@SolidTy said:

Of course, we are comparing a niche, comparatively new-ish, troubled, niche IP vs. a more popular franchises fourth installment as well.

Well, SotC and ICO sold less in the same time frame on the #1 selling console of all time (PS2), so at least TLG has that going for it.

Kudos to any publisher willing to take chances on releasing good/excellent games that may or may not be hot sellers.

Not sure if TLG will ever find sales success, I certainly remember the previous games not setting the world on fire, but gamers that love Team ICOs games should be happy that TLG even released.

Indeed, we need more devs to take chances and try sth new, i hope this game gets to garner more sales down the line.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mjorh

@silversix_ said:

To sell to the clueless plebs, it needed a high score on IGN, the only site they follow. I do hope the game is profitable, i want more masterpieces from that dev, and if there is other games from them, it better stay exactly like TLG but with better visuals.

lmao, "pleb" is such a hilarious word

Same here

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjorh

@thehig1 said:

Looking forward to dead rising 4, but I can wait till march when it releases on steam

Not any interest in the last guardian

That's the way to go, Store is like the worst platform ever!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@mjorh said:
@SolidTy said:

Of course, we are comparing a comparatively new-ish, troubled, niche IP vs. a more popular franchises fourth installment as well.

Not sure if TLG will ever find sales success, I certainly remember the previous games not setting the world on fire, but gamers that love Team ICOs games should be happy that TLG even released (most publishers would have pulled the plug).

Indeed, we need more devs to take chances and try sth new, i hope this game gets to garner more sales down the line.

I agree. I would like to see more innovative or revolutionary titles from big devs taking chances in the AAA market. I understand why we don't, but there is no harm in hoping.

We do see conceptual and fresh games often in the indie scene, but it's nice when something fresh comes out for the AAA market (aka another game that doesn't rely on guns a'blazin at the very least).

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

This was expected. A skilless button masher for the brainless masses outselling an game for sensible artistic senses. The same reason why 50 Cents outsells Mozart but we all know which is superior and will outlive the other.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Who would have guessed people prefer to play a fun Zombies killing game over a game where you stand around 5 minutes hoping the stupid catdogbird does what you tell him to do

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Look at all the glorious DC

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts
@dakur said:

This was expected. A skilless button masher for the brainless masses outselling an game for sensible artistic senses. The same reason why 50 Cents outsells Mozart but we all know which is superior and will outlive the other.

You're comparing someone who made music in the 21st century to one who made it in the 18th.

I want you to think about what you said, and how dumb it was.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

I think they both look good for different reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

How Sony fanboys feel after reading this.

BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

So...they both sold well?

Not sure if I see the problem here. Perhaps I need special glasses?

The Last Guardian is probably the farthest thing from a mainstream blockbuster as you can get and it's still selling well in one of the busiest months of the year as far a sales go, so I'm not sure how people are trying to spin TLG's placing as a bad thing it's not even a full month lol.

The fact that DR4 also sold well in the holiday months is good, it's a well known franchise on it's 4th installment with a pre-existing fanbase which seems to have served the game well for this outing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@casharmy said:

The Last Guardian is probably the farthest thing from a mainstream blockbuster as you can get and it's still selling well in one of the busiest months of the year as far a sales go, so I'm not sure how people are trying to spin TLG's placing as a bad thing it's not even a full month lol.

The fact that DR4 also sold well in the holiday months is good, it's a well known franchise on it's 4th installment with a pre-existing fanbase which seems to have served the game well for this outing.

The issue isn't that they both sold well, it's the fact that fanboys don't care if the other sells well, they want their precious console only game to be higher than the other, you know that LOL. Stop acting unbias now LOL.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mjorh

@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@casharmy said:

The issue isn't that they both sold well, it's the fact that fanboys don't care if the other sells well, they want their precious console only game to be higher than the other, you know that LOL. Stop acting unbias now LOL.

Lmao

Casharmy tries to be not a fanboy is indeed hilarious :D

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

last guardian should have been 15$ indie game. and should not be full priced game as it looks and run like PS2 game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

last guardian should have been 15$ indie game. and should not be full priced game as it looks and run like PS2 game.

No doubt. I watched a few hours of guy playing on Twitch and happened I got to see the ending as well. My goodness all he did was bitch about the crap control and camera. Made me super frustrated just watching this crap. lol

I'm not even kidding, this game wouldn't score above a 5 on GS if it were an X1 game and sold for the price of Recore, $39.99 but TLG full price and a 9.0. GS = lol. :P

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

UK has horrid taste, nothing new here.

TLG is still a AAA masterpiece while DR4 is crappy button masher for clueless simpletons aka. lemmings.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

This turned on Xbox fanboys from the look of post above.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By casharmy

@mjorh said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@casharmy said:

Lmao

Casharmy tries to be not a fanboy is indeed hilarious :D

You both sound stupid to me here. Me giving my opinion = trying to sound unbiased/not a fanboy to fanboys with an agenda.

No matter what you two clowns think or what you want to believe this is my opinion, sorry if it's not the reaction you expect or want. My opinion is always just my opinion, everything does not revolve around fanboyism. It's idiots who only think in fanboy terms that can not separate the two and end up making bone head comments showing that their brain only works in one gear: REKT FANBOY.

lol guess I can't even make a comment without pent up aggression emotionally damaged xbot fanboys having a meltdown. I gave DR4 props as well as TLG but you desperate clowns still found something to cry about? Cool!

Please go on...tell me how you really feel. let the pain, trauma and butthurt all fall on me! You'll feel better about yourselves and perhaps stop acting like complete narrow minded idiots every time a Sony fan posts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@casharmy:

LOL upset already. Relax homeboy I was just messing with you and the only one sounding stupid in here is you. I don't disagree with what you say but we all know if it was TLG selling more than DR then your tone would be completely different, we seen your track record in here to know better than that.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

That's the difference between Japanese devs and the rest of the world. Th e rest of the world at least sell its game with appropriate price. Every Japanese turd that looks and plays like a free web game sells for $60.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:
@ghosts4ever said:

That's the difference between Japanese devs and the rest of the world. Th e rest of the world at least sell its game with appropriate price. Every Japanese turd that looks and plays like a free web game sells for $60.

I remember when kojima released 20 minute demo for metal gear solid 5 (ground zeroes) at 30$. thats disgusting practice.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#35 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Own both, haven't finished either. Unlike others, I don't do "at this point" assessments. I play a game then decide how much it entertained me by how much it entertained me. I'm weird that way, I guess. As Borat said: "I find more, chyqui"

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By casharmy

@flyincloud1116 said:

This turned on Xbox fanboys from the look of post above.

I gave props to both TLG and DR4 for selling well and I still got a bunch of salty...

Lemmings, knowing that, even though AAAE, TLG is just one of many PS4 exclusives that is coming out while xbone is a barren wasteland of flops and time watching PS4 videos on youtube...it greatly upsets lems that news of what they think of as a victory for xbox not upset Sony fans.

lol lems be like, "How dare you not be upset about your niche Sony exclusive being slightly outsold by our 4th installment multiplat of a well established franchise with a pre-existing fanbase...grrr" lol that's the vibe I'm getting here.

Should I really be upset about DR4 placing 2 spots higher than TLG? Seriosly? I am trying to figure out lemmings thought process (probably something I should not attempt honestly) on this because the only feeling here is that I should feel bad because a MS title placed slightly higher than a PS title? I just don't see it like that.

Do lemmings know how many PS titles have played higher than MS titles this gen? It's a lot and there are going to be a lot more...lol, this may be a BIG deal to lemmings but honestly it's xbox fanboy's fragile mentality that has them thinking we should be upset, why when this shows that TLG sold well?

The tears just never run out.

There will be PS4 games placing in the top 10 in Jan, Feb, March and April next year as well...too bad there probably won't be any xbone games to compare to them then, so I will congratulate xbox fans for what they have now. :) nice job on DR4 selling well I hear its a good game.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dakur

@jagoff said:
@dakur said:

You're comparing someone who made music in the 21st century to one who made it in the 18th.

It's just to illustrate how real art survives through the centuries while shallow entertainment for the masses barely survives a few years being relevant. Which is similar to the difference between games like TLG and DR4. I'm sorry the concept escapes your intellect.

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

@dakur said:
@jagoff said:
@dakur said:

It's just to illustrate how real art survives through the centuries while shallow entertainment for the masses barely survives a few years being relevant. Which is similar to the difference between games like TLG and DR4. I'm sorry the concept escapes your intellect.

That I understood. Your illustration was still poorly worded and presented. You easily could have used contemporary examples to make the same point, but hey, I digress.

But indicating that TLG is an example of real art that will survive through the generations? Now that's a kneeslapper right there. Video games remain such a highly disposible medium to where that will not likely be the case.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By casharmy

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

@casharmy:

LOL upset already. Relax homeboy I was just messing with you and the only one sounding stupid in here is you. I don't disagree with what you say but we all know if it was TLG selling more than DR then your tone would be completely different, we seen your track record in here to know better than that.

Track record smak records lol you just believe what you want as someone who only thinks in fanboy.

There is no reason for me to bash DR4 as It's not a game I'm interested in nor a game I particularly feel any hate toward. DR is not a top tier franchise and was never treated as an AAA blockbuster by MS so there would no reason for me to bust it's chops if TLG outsold it, maybe others would but not me.

The problem with you is you don't know how I think, you only think how you or other fanboys think thus you project your preconceived fanboyism onto me, that's not my problem it's yours. If DR was a high profile title and niche TLG out sold it then hell yea I'd xbox fans chops but it's not so I wouldn't. It's not as cut and dry as that with me as it might be with you.

Sry you don't like my response and feel you know how I think and will post in any situation but the thought process you have is not sufficient to predict what what I might think or post in any given situation. You won't know what I will post on any given thread until I post it but fanboys say amazing things and apparently have amazing Ms Cleo powers at their disposal as well. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Right now, yes, hold Dead Rising to glory for selling. We will see which game will withstand the test of time. In retrospect I think people will appreciate The Last Guardian. Ico and Shadow of Colossus were unique games looking back. My attention span is awful for games like that but I can tell it's special.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#41 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

So let me get this straight, sales don't matter this week? Where was the memo?

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dakur

@jagoff said:
@dakur said:
@jagoff said:
@dakur said:

That I understood. Your illustration was still poorly worded and presented. You easily could have used contemporary examples to make the same point, but hey, I digress.

But indicating that TLG is an example of real art that will survive through the generations? Now that's a kneeslapper right there. Video games remain such a highly disposible medium to where that will not likely be the case.

I think games, like any other art form, will be judged in history as any other art form. Trip to the Moon is considered a film classic even though it is by today's standards quite cheap looking and ridiculous but it marked an era. Other films were forgotten. Games that push boundaries and try to do different stuff will subsist as classics while other games will be forgotten. Games like Ico and SOTC are already classics while the Dead Rising series hardly.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@kvally said:

That's what i was thinking! So going by cow logic PS4 is outselling the XBO due to it being better, does that mean that DR4 is better then TLG?

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 casharmy

@thedork_knight said:
@kvally said:

That's what i was thinking! So going by cow logic PS4 is outselling the XBO due to it being better, does that mean that DR4 is better then TLG?

lol, searching for that post?

hmmm where is that post.....

Nope not seeing it, lol lems and their special eyes.

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Dead Rising games are pure unadulterated fun, and if you don't think so you probably need to go to a doctor, it's a telltale sign that there's a gigantic stick up your ass. I want to like The Last Guardian so I'm gonna wait for a price cut so I don't feel burned by value if it falls below my expectations, that and/or wait just to see if they patch the game so that the games frustrating Trico AI moments I've heard about are ironed out with patches. Plus, with Dead Rising 4 being a Christmas themed game, just makes sense to me to get it now while the season is right.

I take issue though with Dead Rising being treated as generic. Not in defense of Dead Rising necessarily but on the whole idea of the zombie genre in gaming, people roll their eyes at great zombie games all the time because they just see zombies as such a base genre, and they do nothing to stand out from the others. I mean just looking at everything from Resident Evil, Zombie Army Trilogy, State of Decay, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Dead Island (and its Dying Light re-branding), Evil Within, Telltale Walking Dead, Doom, The Last of Us, Zombi... I mean sure, all zombie games, but what I feel defines them more is their gameplay styles. Each is so much different than the rest and I really don't think "oh jeez you've played one zombie game you've played them all".

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@dakur said:

Cool. I'll use this argument for the console WW sales then.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@kvally said:

Who said that liar?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@FastRobby:

Well played..... lol

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dakur

@FastRobby said:
@dakur said:

Cool. I'll use this argument for the console WW sales then.

That's a fallacy, same arguments don't apply to hardware since they're not an art medium an actual a technological one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

While I do own Dead Rising 4 and I'm enjoying the game for what it is, just cause it's selling better than The Last Guardian doesn't make it the "better" game. Both have faults and both cater differently. I've said this before in regards to the Playstation 4 selling more than the Xbox One...