Days Gone just proves how much Sony was crushing it last gen!

• 71 results
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Just finished Days Gone. What a ride (literally)! Great characters, exploration and smooth survival mechanics. Hordes are a standout feature, one of the biggest adenaline rushes to be had in gaming 🥳!

That Days Gone is considered a mediocre exclusive for Sony is just a testament to how much they were crushing it last gen. Seriously is there a producer out there even close to Sony?

They created five new standout IPs (Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding (which I haven’t played) Knack, Ghost of Tsushima (not played)). They made an excellent reboot of GoW and Spiderman plus competent sequels of Uncharted and TLOU. Simply amazing 🤩!

This is why a Ps5 is a MUST have for next gen!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10431 Posts

i thought it was a competent game that didn't quite live up to potential. not mediocre but a few too many detractors to make it top tier or thereabouts. like the whole was less than the sum of its parts, if that makes sense.

there were some nicely polished individual mechanics and features but they weren't utilised as effectively as they could've been. and i think the plot is somewhat responsible for that. for an open world game you need a plot that peaks and troughs frequently in terms of developments, intrigue, suspense etc. to keep your interest and maintain momentum and that's were days missed the mark the most for me. the pacing was just so plodding and uneventful the game struggled to hold my interest despite the well fleshed out mechanics.

and the hordes though very cool felt a little like a missed opportunity. genuinely an amazing "holy shit, abort abort abort!!!" moment when you encounter one but the random encounters were too few and far between. and the game unnecessarily dilutes the tension potential of several hundred zombies giving chase by preventing you from looking over your shoulder on your bike as you try and escape. the camera instantly snaps back to the front whenever you try and look behind you, so you can never really get a true sense of just how close they are. a little thing like that could've made such a difference to the experience

MaoDijong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 MaoDijong
Member since 2020 • 5 Posts

Yep! It's why I am going PS5 this gen too (when there's enough games and I have the relevant TV). The PS4 had all the big and even smaller cross platform titles plus so many top top exclusives. The XB1 had pretty much nothing.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

I’m sorry it’s ok but it’s not great has definitely improved after many patches

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Sushiglutton: you need to play Ghost of Tsushima next. Don’t delay!

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

days gone?....6-10 bang average

you live by the scores you die by them,

yea far creed samurai is a decent game but if you are like many who moaned at assassins creed and far cry games being past their sell by date,but enjoyed ghosts because it was a ps exclusive you will enjoy it....as everything looks better thru i sony goggles

HAH

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1233 Posts

It was generally competent, often tedious. Following people around (on bike and on foot) and having to listen to them blabber about their problems for what felt like hours made me quit the game ... but I guess that kind of gameplay is par for the course in a Sony exclusive though :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

TC did you play the game on PS5? I tested it on PS5 and it plays in 60fps. Didn't play it on PS4, but am looking forward to playing it on PS5 😎

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

It didn’t really look all that appealing to me to be honest but different strokes for different folks and all that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

I only played a small amount of the game and I am glad it came as part of the collection.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

Of course it plays best on ps5 60 fps, 4k hybrid ray tracing.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

Loving it so far. Better than uncharted 4.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

Loving it so far. Better than uncharted 4.

That is not saying much. 😋

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox

@Pedro: Too many cut scenes in that damn game, but gameplay is solid

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

I will continue playing after, Dragon Quest XI, Ghost of Tsushima and Valhalla.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

5 stand-out IP’s that include Days Gone, Death Stranding and Knack? Really, OP?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Game was quite good, I feel like they stripped away some game mechanics though,

For example the petrol stations had power from the beginning, its was quite clear you should have first repaired the power lines or had a portable generator to get them working. They even had a mission later in the game to do it.

Imagine the generator the moment you start it up you attract everything to you, and you have to hook it up to the fuse box.

They should have made you syphon petrol from the abandoned cars from the start.

Dunno why they didn't do that.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Chutebox said:

I will continue playing after, Dragon Quest XI, Ghost of Tsushima and Valhalla.

That's a deep backlog! I'm 60 hours into DQXI. First JRPG I've played since... er.... FFVII on PS2. But really really enjoying it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Runs nicely on the PS5, I might give it a second chance, the load times are still pretty shitty though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@Epak_ said:

Runs nicely on the PS5, I might give it a second chance, the load times are still pretty shitty though.

Shitty is very accurate. I don't know how games with such terrible load times are given the green light.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox

@gym_lion: I would have enjoyed DQXI so much more if they used a different art style. I can't stand it.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

I found the game boring and couldn’t get into it. But not as boring as death stranding. But that’s not saying much

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Epak_

@Pedro: It was one of the reasons I stopped playing it on my Pro, that and I was eagerly waiting for my copy of TLOU2. 😋

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Gameplay made up 20-30% of the entire game. 15% of that 20-30%was rock climbing.

Uncharted 4 was a complete snoozefest.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@Chutebox: Enemies in DQ XI were way too cute. Why on earth would I want to kill this dude.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@bluestars: Days Gone is the most underrated game of the generation though.

And Ghost of Tsushima flawlessly executed on their first attempt what FC and AC tried to do for a decade.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Just finished Days Gone. What a ride (literally)! Great characters, exploration and smooth survival mechanics. Hordes are a standout feature, one of the biggest adenaline rushes to be had in gaming 🥳!

That Days Gone is considered a mediocre exclusive for Sony is just a testament to how much they were crushing it last gen. Seriously is there a producer out there even close to Sony?

They created five new standout IPs (Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding (which I haven’t played) Knack, Ghost of Tsushima (not played)). They made an excellent reboot of GoW and Spiderman plus competent sequels of Uncharted and TLOU. Simply amazing 🤩!

This is why a Ps5 is a MUST have for next gen!

Lay off the drugs man, or at least don't post when you're on them as they only cause embarrassment like the above.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@Epak_ said:

@Pedro: It was one of the reasons I stopped playing it on my Pro, that and I was eagerly waiting for my copy of TLOU2. 😋

I was considering playing TLOU2 but I cannot be bother with sitting back and watching by my controller is begging for utilization.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Point of perspective. I've owned all Playstation systems and generally enjoyed most of their games, but last gen was different. Several of them were sub-par and generic, and lacked quality gameplay or simply were cookie cutter Ubisoft rip off titles.

Ghost of Tsushima is a quality title, but it suffers from the Ubi imitation factor. Horizon Zero Dawn is just generic trash with a cool gimmick. Days Gone had a cool theme but was also a Ubi copy game. God of War was legit. Bloodborne was legit. Spider-Man was your typical hero game--people either love or hate it. I hate hero games.

That puts PS4 exclusives at around less than 50% for me. Not a good gen. Makes me show great restraint when considering PS5.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I think it was exacerbated by the fact that you have to sit through loading screens to watch a sometimes 15 second cutscene. It really breaks the flow of the game and emphasizes that you're not actually playing even more than it would have otherwise.

Also, the story was terribly bland and very run of the mill.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

PS needs to bring back more of their franchises, especially multiplayer. Let's see them bring back Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Motorstorm, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, Syphon Filter.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sushiglutton

@neogeo2k2: It takes a long time to get going. And way too long until the first horde. I think that may have been a mistake.

@Juub1990: Knack is life ❤️!

@Chutebox:

I also think it plays better than Uncharted for sure. Both combat and stealth. Uncharted is tighter though.

@SolidGame_basic: No I don’t have the Ps5 yet! I thought the game looked nice on ps4, but framerate could have been better for sure! I envy your ps5!

@Zero_epyon: I really want to play GoT! I need something linear first though .

@Macutchi: The pacing was bad, not going to deny that. A lot of the campaign missions felt unnecessary. Even 20h in you were still sent on random bounty hunter missions as part of the main campaign. The game is def not perfect, but it did many thing right also.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sushiglutton

@i_p_daily: I don’t do drugs only Glögg 🥳🎅🏻

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@PSP107 said:
@Chutebox said:

Gameplay made up 20-30% of the entire game. 15% of that 20-30%was rock climbing.

Uncharted 4 was a complete snoozefest.

It really was... I couldn't finish it. I loved the Uncharted games on PS3, so when my cousin sold me his PS4, I bought U4 straight away. But it was so boring. The fact that it reviewed so highly says a lot about the games media I think.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sushiglutton

I read somwhere that Uncharted 4 was supposed to have a stamina system. The intent was to give climbing some tension. But they scratched it, making all those climbing sections feel mundane.

The game also had perhaps a bit too much fan service. I did enjoy it and played it twice. But I’m a massive Uncharted fanboy.

I can fully understand why you guys found it a bit dull.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Quite a decent game from what I played. Gonna start fresh and hopefully complete the game on PS5... Stopped playing on PS4 when my Pro was a het-engine, and couldn't be bothered once I replaced the system.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

@neogeo2k2: It takes a long time to get going. And way too long until the first horde. I think that may have been a mistake.

That's the beauty of GoT. All side missions are optional. You can play it like a linear game.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#38 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@Macutchi: those are almost my exact thoughts on the game as well. I think the reason you couldn't look back while driving your motorcycle is probably a hardware limitation from the ps4. too many enemies to render while going fast on your bike.

Also, the game was downgraded a bit from the reveal trailers, it went from a lush and vibrant world to dull mess in some cases.

Solid 7-8 game though. Worth a play

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sushiglutton

@lundy86_4 said:

Quite a decent game from what I played. Gonna start fresh and hopefully complete the game on PS5... Stopped playing on PS4 when my Pro was a het-engine, and couldn't be bothered once I replaced the system.

Yeah you can really hear the Oregon wind roaring sometimes 😂. I’m sure it will play much better and be more quiet on ps5.

@Zero_epyon said:
@Sushiglutton said:

That's the beauty of GoT. All side missions are optional. You can play it like a linear game.

That sounds amazing. Really looking forward to give it a spin!

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

I’m like you. I just beat it, but I didn't start playing it until real late in the dev cycle. I heard it’s a very different game than it was at launch.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Epak_

@Pedro: It has plenty of gameplay and the gameplay is good, both stealth and action.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

Days Gone was one of my favorite games. Then again, I would say that about most zombie games. Great story, and I actually truly cared about the characters and their development.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@Epak_: I will validate this claim sometime in the future.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sushiglutton

@pmanden said:

Days Gone was one of my favorite games. Then again, I would say that about most zombie games. Great story, and I actually truly cared about the characters and their development.

The characters really grew on me too. I was kind of surprised by that. It’s hard to say something about it without spoiling anything. But the game had several interesting characters and a great lead.

When I started the game I thought at best the action would carry it. But it was the characters that kept me going.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I really enjoyed it. The game did not get good until 20 hours in and the hoards are so fun especially the last fight at the saw mill where there is around 10,000 zombies chasing you at once. To unlock the real ending you have to get 100% completion otherwise the base ending is very bland and anticlimactic.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

I skipped Days Gone. Too many publications said the same thing.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: "But it was so boring. The fact that it reviewed so highly says a lot about the games media I think."

Games since the 360/PS3 era have been more judged on story/characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Sushiglutton: So drunk posting it is.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox

@louixiii: I'm still early in it, but definitely play it. The game is fun

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38800 Posts

Is the 60fps mode in 1440p+ or is it locked to 1080p? I'll give the game a try since its free on psn