David Cage on Kara: "My Next PS3 Games Will Look Even Better"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Well I can't wait to see what they have next for PS3. :D

David Cage on Kara: 'My next PS3 games will look even better' Tech has "evolved" since stunning GDC demo, creator reveals

Yesterday Heavy Rain creator David Cage blew GDC's socks off with astunning PlayStation 3 demoshowcasing his studio's new game engine.

But, speaking to CVG, the French design artiste claimed the final PS3 games running on the technology will look even better...

"Kara was made a year ago, so the technology has evolved a lot since then," the Quantic Dream head told CVG at GDC. "We've worked a lot on the cinematography, we've worked a lot on lens flares, on diffraction and how the light plays on the optic... We're playing with all these things, so I think that the next games - whatever they are - are going to look much better than Kara."

Although Kara is just a tech demo (Cage asked us to write down 'this isn't my next game' in big letters), the designer said he's already learnt a lot from its ability to use full body motion capture to tell a story.

"We learned the importance of working with actors, the importance of rehearsing - all the things that went through body language," he explained.

"We thought that each time a character had something to say they should say it vocally, in words and dialogue, but actually when you start playing with full performance capture, there's a lot you can say without any words.

"It's like discovering a new area that we had totally ignored. It gives you a lot of subtlety and the possibility to have nuances that were not available in games before."

The impressive Kara technology, he said, offers players an approach to emotion in games not possible in Heavy Rain.

The success of films like Avatar also play a part in the progression of this kind of story-based gaming, he added, claiming that five years ago Hollywood actors would "no way" agree to motion capture acting.

"If you spoke to Hollywood actors maybe five years ago, and told them about motion capture they would ask just what you were talking about," he said. "Since Avatar they all understand that this is respectable too. That they can do this and still be an actor.

"They understand how the world is changing, and how their work is changing. Today it's really easy to go to Hollywood and talk to talented actors (famous and not famous) and say that you're doing the same thing. Five years ago, they'd have said 'No way'. Now: 'Why not? Show me the script.'"

Click to view larger image

"[The technology] gives you more realism," he continued. "It allows you to work with the emotion. It lets you have real actors in a very different way to before. I've never thought that realism was an end or a goal in itself: it's one approach to emotion.

"Pixar showed that they can make you feel passionate and emotionally engaged in plastic toys, so I think you can have non-realistic rendering - and that's fine - but with Kara and Heavy Rain this is the direction we want to explore, as we think that we have a lot to learn with realistic rendering before we can go to non-realistic rendering."

However, not to put the importance of technology over a good story, the designer emphasizes that he sees the game engine as simply the delivery methods for the script, acting performances and characters built by the game team.

Even PlayStation 4 would only make a difference in polygons, he claims.

"Of course you always have a platform in mind. At the same time, all this is really from the mantel - whether it's on PlayStation 3, 4, 5 or 6 the process of writing a good script, working with actors, building characters etc...

"In the future we'll do it with more polys and more textures, but fundamentally what we learn right now will remain consistent."

Stay tuned for the full David Cage interview, to be published in the coming days.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/339089/features/david-cage-on-kara-my-next-ps3-games-will-look-even-better/

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

woho excited i am!

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

TL;DR

But Feel like commenting. I know it's something about Heavy Rain director I hope the game is good and i'm glad there are different type of games out there (: I actually enjoyed heavy rain one of my favorites this gen.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

Sounds cool, but I'm more of a believe it when I see it person. If the games looks as awesome as he says it will then I expect to see that when I buy it. I wont allow myself to get hyped before hand.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#5 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

Hope it's better than Heavy rain.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Slashless

Heavy Rain > Metal Gear 1-4 > Twilight > Insert Something here > Metal Gear Rising

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slashless

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

Joedgabe

Heavy Rain > Metal Gear 1-4 > Twilight > Insert Something here > Metal Gear Rising

Your math is f*cked.

It's

MGS2>MGS4>MGS3>MG Rising>MGS1>TWilight>Insert Something Here>LoosingENDS>Heavy Rain

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

lol @ slashless comment

Hopefully he'l show us at E3

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

Slashless

Your math is f*cked.

It's

MGS2>MGS4>MGS3>MG Rising>MGS1>TWilight>Insert Something Here>LoosingENDS>Heavy Rain

I think this is what you call the difference between college and highschool level math.

It was an honest mistake he made.

I'm also a fan of Heavy Rain, but come on? Cant compare to MGS.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Slashless

lol @ slashless comment

EPaul

Can't stop me I'm an MVP

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
The 'my next PS3 game' is the only thing that stuck out. Hello ego.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#12 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]The 'my next PS3 game' is the only thing that stuck out. Hello ego.

lol I didn't realize he programmed his games all by himself. What a Renaissance man.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Heavy Rain was so bad.

It's one of those games you play and you think it's really good at the time, but then when you are done you look back and say " wow that was not very fun, and made little sense." Like LA Noire but not as polished and with a story with more holes than swiss cheese.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
I hope that by "better", he means "better-looking people".
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Glad that people will start jumping the David Cage bandwagon now. Not enough people enjoyed/played Heavy Rain imo.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
What shocked me was they only used it for show....it's not even their next game So what they are saying is "kara" was just practice....damn
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="eboyishere"]What shocked me was they only used it for show....it's not even their next game So what they are saying is "kara" was just practice....damn

So was the 'hard rain audition' video. Though the character model was reused in Heavy Rain.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I don't care about looking better. I want a game with the emotional connection I got in that few minute video.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#19 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I believe it, because they're cutscenes :P

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

*waits for loosingEnds to show up*

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
awesome. heavy rain = one of the top 10 video games of this gen, kant want for Kara. the emotionnn in the game iz all about emotion now guys.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
obligatory "what games? all i see are movies"
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I guess it is that time of year again where more power from the cell is untapped.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Well I can't wait to see what they have next for PS3. :D

David Cage on Kara: 'My next PS3 games will look even better' Tech has "evolved" since stunning GDC demo, creator reveals

Yesterday Heavy Rain creator David Cage blew GDC's socks off with astunning PlayStation 3 demoshowcasing his studio's new game engine.

But, speaking to CVG, the French design artiste claimed the final PS3 games running on the technology will look even better...

"Kara was made a year ago, so the technology has evolved a lot since then," the Quantic Dream head told CVG at GDC. "We've worked a lot on the cinematography, we've worked a lot on lens flares, on diffraction and how the light plays on the optic... We're playing with all these things, so I think that the next games - whatever they are - are going to look much better than Kara."

Although Kara is just a tech demo (Cage asked us to write down 'this isn't my next game' in big letters), the designer said he's already learnt a lot from its ability to use full body motion capture to tell a story.

"We learned the importance of working with actors, the importance of rehearsing - all the things that went through body language," he explained.

"We thought that each time a character had something to say they should say it vocally, in words and dialogue, but actually when you start playing with full performance capture, there's a lot you can say without any words.

"It's like discovering a new area that we had totally ignored. It gives you a lot of subtlety and the possibility to have nuances that were not available in games before."

The impressive Kara technology, he said, offers players an approach to emotion in games not possible in Heavy Rain.

The success of films like Avatar also play a part in the progression of this kind of story-based gaming, he added, claiming that five years ago Hollywood actors would "no way" agree to motion capture acting.

"If you spoke to Hollywood actors maybe five years ago, and told them about motion capture they would ask just what you were talking about," he said. "Since Avatar they all understand that this is respectable too. That they can do this and still be an actor.

"They understand how the world is changing, and how their work is changing. Today it's really easy to go to Hollywood and talk to talented actors (famous and not famous) and say that you're doing the same thing. Five years ago, they'd have said 'No way'. Now: 'Why not? Show me the script.'"

Click to view larger image

"[The technology] gives you more realism," he continued. "It allows you to work with the emotion. It lets you have real actors in a very different way to before. I've never thought that realism was an end or a goal in itself: it's one approach to emotion.

"Pixar showed that they can make you feel passionate and emotionally engaged in plastic toys, so I think you can have non-realistic rendering - and that's fine - but with Kara and Heavy Rain this is the direction we want to explore, as we think that we have a lot to learn with realistic rendering before we can go to non-realistic rendering."

However, not to put the importance of technology over a good story, the designer emphasizes that he sees the game engine as simply the delivery methods for the script, acting performances and characters built by the game team.

Even PlayStation 4 would only make a difference in polygons, he claims.

"Of course you always have a platform in mind. At the same time, all this is really from the mantel - whether it's on PlayStation 3, 4, 5 or 6 the process of writing a good script, working with actors, building characters etc...

"In the future we'll do it with more polys and more textures, but fundamentally what we learn right now will remain consistent."

Stay tuned for the full David Cage interview, to be published in the coming days.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/339089/features/david-cage-on-kara-my-next-ps3-games-will-look-even-better/

Blazerdt47

LOL no. Console games have a lot more hurdles to leap before that statement becomes true. Get back to me when you console gamers have a game with full Ray Tracing, Tesselation, SSAO, Indirect Illumination advanced partical systems ect ect.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

LOL no. Console games have a lot more hurdles to leap before that statement becomes true. Get back to me when you console gamers have a game with full Ray Tracing, Tesselation, SSAO, Indirect Illumination advanced partical systems ect ect.

vtoshkatur
And what does that really have to do with the claim that it would look better? You don't need all that to just look better.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
KARA will appear as cameo in any of Quantric Dreams upcoming games
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

KARA will appear as cameo in any of Quantric Dreams upcoming gameshippiesanta

I think it is a way of building hype for a developer that undersold on their last game. I'm thinking the same thing with The Samaratin demo.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts
Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...GrayF0X786
someone got banned
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GrayF0X786
[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...freedomfreak
someone got banned

why?
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...freedomfreak
someone got banned

:lol: anyways to keep it on track (do we even have to bother anymore?) I don't think it's about MOAR POWER as so many devs claim but a lot of new tricks they learn throughout the years. PS3 does and yes sometimes even xbox pump out games that do look better after all these years.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
No doubt it will be beyond stunning and be better than anything available on 360. Instant day 1 buy.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...GrayF0X786
someone got banned

why?

I don't know what happened but I won't be surprised if we see him around again.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...GrayF0X786
Oh look! this person speaks in facts. Good job.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GrayF0X786
[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...kuraimen

lol
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...kuraimen

I know..Friend request sent!
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GrayF0X786
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]Hi everyone, i think playstation 3 is better becuase it has better games, blu ray, free online gaming and did i mention better games...Heil68

I know..Friend request sent!

yeah
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

Joedgabe

Wat, Rising isn't out, and it's being dev'd by Platinum, the way I see it, it'll likely be the best game out of all of those (the best GAME, may be an inferior movie)
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
I hope this "Kara" thing turns into a real game. Quantic dream has to know by now that people are talking about how awesome that trailer was. They'd be stupid not to make it into a game
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I remember when Shenmue came out on the dreamcast and Yu Suzuki had a facial demo running on the dreamcast (which is available on the shenmue passport disk of shenmue 1) and being amazed at how the eyes roll and move and the mouth and just the models having general lifelike animations and movements.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#41 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I find the bit about the PS4 a little confusing. PS4 is just polygons, right? Weird..
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#42 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I enjoyed Heavy Rain alot 2 years ago. I'm looking forward to this.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Make 'Kara' a game and take my money.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Slashless

I doubt it, SOny makes cut scenes, not games

Maybe as cut scenes, will be great, like Uncharted, MGS4, Heavy Rain etc

The problem is that these are not games

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

loosingENDS

well , they get reviewed here at GAMEspot. Sooo , I'm pretty sure they are games.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Slashless

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

loosingENDS

>Talking about Sony made games

>Mentions MGS4

wutrudoing

cjuncto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cjuncto
Member since 2012 • 199 Posts

Slashless

You have very low standards if that is all you want... The developer would have to literally try to make a game worse than Heavy Rain... Calling it a game is a slap in the face to hardcore gamers everywhere, it is more of an interactive movie like MGS and a bad one at that.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Slashless

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

cjuncto

You have very low standards if that is all you want... The developer would have to literally try to make a game worse than Heavy Rain... Calling it a game is a slap in the face to hardcore gamers everywhere, it is more of an interactive movie like MGS and a bad one at that.

MGS4 isn't an interactive Movie. It's a Video game with long and many cutscenes and a fair share of gameplay that can be tackled from whichever way you want it to be.