Dark Souls Switch - Downgraded Xbox 360 port w/small bump in res and charged for $40

• 127 results
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

This is the reason why Nintendo gamers have a hard time trusting 3rd party developers when it comes to development for Nintendo consoles. Bandai/Namco trying to sucker Switch owners $60 with a port of Dark Souls that isn't even a remastered version.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

My Switch is a dust collector. Even more-so since they decided to charge for trash online. Not paying Nintendo $20 just to play Mario Kart online.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

People will buy this due to portable.....

Dark souls collection (which is much more bang for your buck) is available on other system by the way.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I have the Dark Souls remaster on PS4, and its just as poor looking on that platform.

Its just the way FromSoft operates. Their so called remasters are basically identical with the original game. DS2 versions on 360 and PS4 looked identical, for example... sigh.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Switch is wii-u all over again. feels like that batman game which that reggie clown advertised as a complete new game.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:

It's $40 in the U.S.

You're right, updating now

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Yeah, I've heard it's about the same as 360/PS3 version, except it's better at keeping 30 fps. You buy this version for the portability. If that's worth 40 bucks is up to you.

Damn cool game to have portable, but I'm pretty fed up with the game myself, so I'll pass. Not sure how it's "downgraded from the 360 version", but I frankly don't give a shit. Steady 30 fps Switch version is better than not steady 30 fps 360 version anyway. Switch version works like it should, even in Blighttown. 360/PS3 version of Dark Souls is broken and people were fine with that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58946 Posts

Yea, Switch prices can be an absolute piss take. Saw Syberia 1/2 (old, old ass games) sitting for E24.99. Forcomparison, £9.99 on PC. Likewise, Skyrim, straight up £49.99. Some prices are alright, need to dig around.

Even on the PC end, with 50% off if you owned the original Prepare To Die Edition, it's still not a great deal. The port itself was utterly abysmal patched within days by the community just to get it in a fit state. And for price tag, you aren't really getting anything new.

So either way, no-no.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts
@FireEmblem_Man said:

This is the reason why Nintendo gamers have a hard time trusting 3rd party developers when it comes to development for Nintendo consoles. Bandai/Namco trying to sucker Switch owners $60 with a port of Dark Souls that isn't even a remastered version.

Loading Video...

Don't blame developers, blame Nintendo. They are the ones who released the console underpowered. They are the ones that fostered this culture where their own fans don't respect the third party, so their games sell like crap.

I had this game, yonks ago. Why is this full price? Why is this a last gen port when we are arguably coming to the end of this gen? Because Nintendo.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

Did anyone expect much from this remastered version at all? I wasn't expecting much for a last-gen Dark Souls game on a Switch anyways and the fact that this is a last-gen port, anyone who really wanted to play that game would've already done so on Xbox 360/PS3/PC anyways. This is just filler for the Switch.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Bait &.... eh, you know. :P

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Runs great in handheld mode.... excellent port.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22672 Posts

It's the only version of the game I've wanted to purchase and sink time into.... I don't care what it looks like. I want it on the go.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with it.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

Its a handheld console...

Who cares? is it fully portable, the full game, at a decent image quality? yes.

I would play that again instead of Spider-Shallow-Man at psuedo 4k anyday.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44160 Posts

I don’t know why people keep expecting so much from a $300 system that’s smaller then an iPad Mini. It sounds like the game turned out pretty well to me all things considered. Also I think $40 is a fair price for it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Why is 1080p a small bump in res over sub-720p?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@kali-b1rd: I agree. I wasn’t expecting anything earth shattering visually. Nintendo have made their stance clear: they will not be a part of the power chase. They will increase incrementally and affordably.

Spider-Man was fun dude lol but yeah I’m not interested in continuing to play it.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its not the developers fault the Switch's hardware is just barely better than a 360.

Even Nintendo them selves sold you a Zelda with framerate issues.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Its not the developers fault the Switch's hardware is just barely better than a 360.

And in the memory bandwidth department 360 is actually faster, which is why transparency effects have been cut out or massively reduced on this Switch version.

But Switch is a port station.......where's all it's new and unique IP's?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

And in the memory bandwidth department 360 is actually faster, which is why transparency effects have been cut out or massively reduced on this Switch version.

But Switch is a port station.......where's all it's new and unique IP's?

I bought the Switch for Exclusives only, I don't want old game ports or new games like Doom at 30FPS.

To be honest I don't think anyone but the extreme fanboys expects anything more than 2-3 mario games and 2 Zelda games and so on... Ever since the GameCube essentially this has been the pattern.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

the sound thing is odd. the game is the same size as the 360 version 9according to DF) so why would the sound be compressed? i can only speculate that the 360 and PS3 had some snazzy sound hardware that the original build used and that doesnt exist in the switch so they implemented a more simple sound system.

other than that it' s as expected.

the effect thing is interesting not only in terms of the switch but in terms of mobile hardware in general. anything memory bandwidth intensive is still a problem on mobile hardware.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 enzyme36

Maybe its a matter of perspective but I am blown away by how far portable gaming has come.

Growing up with games looking like this....

I am amazed that I live in a time where I can now play a game in the palm of my hands, running silky smooth and looking like this...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Game feels like a little miracle on the switch.

Take your graphics circle jerk elsewhere.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

It's 1080/900p. 1080 is much better than 720.

Also it's $40, not full price.

Edit: But yeah they should have called it Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition :P

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Switch packing much newer and faster hardware then 360/PS3....so why's it feel like a little miracle?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Switch packing much newer and faster hardware then 360/PS3....so why's it feel like a little miracle?

I take it you've never undocked a switch and took it on the go, then brought it back home to play on the TV.

Switch did something Sony's been dying to do w the PSP and VITA. Console quality on the go without compromise.

So yeah, full fledged console games without compromise, feels pretty damn amazing in the palm of my hands.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

I take it you've never undocked a switch and took it on the go, then brought it back home to play on the TV.

Switch did something Sony's been dying to do w the PSP and VITA. Console quality on the go without compromise.

So yeah, full fledged console games without compromise, feels pretty damn amazing in the palm of my hands.

You must not be talking about the Switch as it's full of compromise..........

But you've still not explained why a last gen port on faster hardware feels like a miracle?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

But you've still not explained why a last gen port on faster hardware feels like a miracle?

If you haven't experienced it then you can't possibly understand.

And unless I'm a crazy person I'm pretty sure I played South Park TFBW on switch without any compromise.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

So as you've dodged the question I will take that as you just chatting shit...

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

When played in portable mode, 768x432 and 640x360 are common pixel counts, but it can increase from there depending on load. In general, it's comparable to the Switch version of Doom but seems to scale towards the low-end more often. There's no getting around it - this really is a very blurry game.

Dark Souls on Switch

Bandwidth is at a premium on the Tegra X1 processor, and so alpha effects resolution drops down to around 400p, notably on fire effects from the red wyvern on the bridge. It's huge drop in quality next to PS4, and even the Xbox 360 edition produces a higher quality effect. Equally, fire shaders in the Quelaag boss battle are simply changed; it's a similar effect to the Xbox 360 version, but again with a lower quality haze surrounding it.

Fortnite on Switch

The worst case? You're looking at 20-30fps performance in docked mode when any real action kicks off, and using Switch as a portable follows the same pattern. It's clear that dynamic resolution scaling only keeps the game's frame-rate in check to a point.

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

"Console quality on the go without compromise"

Seriously, take your Nintendo tinted glasses off.... the Switch is the MASTER of compromise..

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

When played in portable mode, 768x432 and 640x360 are common pixel counts, but it can increase from there depending on load. In general, it's comparable to the Switch version of Doom but seems to scale towards the low-end more often. There's no getting around it - this really is a very blurry game.

Dark Souls on Switch

Bandwidth is at a premium on the Tegra X1 processor, and so alpha effects resolution drops down to around 400p, notably on fire effects from the red wyvern on the bridge. It's huge drop in quality next to PS4, and even the Xbox 360 edition produces a higher quality effect. Equally, fire shaders in the Quelaag boss battle are simply changed; it's a similar effect to the Xbox 360 version, but again with a lower quality haze surrounding it.

Fortnite on Switch

The worst case? You're looking at 20-30fps performance in docked mode when any real action kicks off, and using Switch as a portable follows the same pattern. It's clear that dynamic resolution scaling only keeps the game's frame-rate in check to a point.

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

Seriously, take your Nintendo tinted glasses off.... the Switch is the MASTER of compromise..

Only those graphic intense games. Everything else runs fantastic unless you're too busy counting pixels. Also I didn't say PS4 console did I? I said CONSOLE quality.

Not sure why your gif is laughing. You're the one obsessed with graphics.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

Dark Souls on Switch

Fortnite on Switch

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

Only those graphic intense games. Everything else runs fantastic unless you're too busy counting pixels. Also I didn't say PS4 console did I? I said CONSOLE quality.

Obsessed with graphics but I own and play a 3DS...... you know everything about me don't ya....... and 360p hasn't been CONSOLE quality since the 90's.

Switch is a POS hardware wise and the machine is definition of compromise and people have their noses to far up Ninty's ass to acknowledge it.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

Dark Souls on Switch

Fortnite on Switch

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

Obsessed with graphics but I own and play a 3DS...... you know everything about me don't ya....... and 360p hasn't been CONSOLE quality since the 90's.

Switch is a POS hardware wise and the machine is definition of compromise and people have their noses to far up Ninty's ass to acknowledge it.

awww there ya go. Revealed to just be a hater.

I'll ignore you now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

Dark Souls on Switch

Fortnite on Switch

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

What about those that do acknowledge it's a compromise but enjoy it regardless. You could say the PS4 is a compromise it was made with cost in mind which by definition means compromise yet you seem to enjoy that.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 scatteh316
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

Dark Souls on Switch

Fortnite on Switch

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

What about those that do acknowledge it's a compromise but enjoy it regardless. You could say the PS4 is a compromise it was made with cost in mind which by definition means compromise yet you seem to enjoy that.

You Boycie are one of the odd few who see things for what they are and aren't blinded from the truth by fanboyism like bread is....

All gaming machines (even PC) have to make compromises so to come out with that bull shit about Switch is laughable and pure Nintendo fanbyism from bread....

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

Dark Souls on Switch

Fortnite on Switch

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

awww there ya go. Revealed to just be a hater.

I'll ignore you now.

Better to be a hater and say things how they are instead of a blind fan boy with tinted glasses on.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:

Woldenstein 2 on Switch

Dark Souls on Switch

Fortnite on Switch

I could keep going......

What was it you said?

You Boycie are one of the odd few who see things for what they are and aren't blinded from the truth by fanboyism like bread is....

All gaming machines (even PC) have to make compromises so to come out with that bull shit about Switch is laughable and pure Nintendo fanbyism from bread....

Dude, yes dude, I own all the consoles, I play all the games. I'm not blinded by anything. Honestly this trivial crap doesn't bother me. If I want horizon zero dawn, I got it. If I want resi7 I got it.

I chose to play doom and wolfII on switch over the others, because that was my choice.

Many of us aren't obsessed with this fanboy pixel counting bull spit.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

As opposed to just spouting pure bull shit like you you mean...

That comment of yours was nearly as bad as Microsofts 'un-compromised pixels' shit..... you should see if they have a job for you.

In future don't make stupid comments.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:

That comment of yours was nearly as bad as Microsofts 'un-compromised pixels' shit..... you should see if they have a job for you.

In the future I'll just ignore everything you post. Meanwhile I'm happily gaming on whatever the hell I want without turning it into a diq measuring contest.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 scatteh316
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:

In the future I'll just ignore everything you post. Meanwhile I'm happily gaming on whatever the hell I want without turning it into a diq measuring contest.

Ignore all you want, I'll still be there highlighting your stupidity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

You blame the devs instead of the weak a** harware they have to work with... typical sheep logic

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bread_or_Decide

@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@scatteh316 said:

Ignore all you want, I'll still be there highlighting your stupidity.

Right, you're the one judging something you've never even touched talking about what's stupid.

OKAY.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@DocSanchez: Well said. It's like Nintendo is a generation behind. I know that there are many satisfied Switch owners on this forum, and good for them. But to me, the Switch is just an underpowered gimmick.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@Vatusus said:

You blame the devs instead of the weak a** harware they have to work with... typical sheep logic

Seriously, I don't know why FireEmblem_Man is raging on Developers as if it's their own fault. They can only do so much on Switch's hardware. Portable or not, I rather play Dark Souls on PS4/Xbox One/PC, the last thing I wanna play on it is through a Nintendo console.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide

@pmanden said:

@DocSanchez: Well said. It's like Nintendo is a generation behind. I know that there are many satisfied Switch owners on this forum, and good for them. But to me, the Switch is just an underpowered gimmick.

Or maybe, just maybe, graphics are not everything and Nintendo doesn't play the "lets go bankrupt appealing to graphic whores" game.

Why do we need three identical objects with zero differences? I'll never understand you children and your console wars.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 enzyme36

By this thread logic... why even play this on any console at all... there is a better version.

Clearly... this logic is broken.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I remember getting this game for free with XBL Gold, and deleting it in about an hour.

Dark Souls is overrated.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bread_or_Decide

@enzyme36 said:

By this thread logic... why even play this on any console at all... there is a better version.

Clearly... this logic is broken.

Meanwhile the majority of PC owners don't play on the highest settings and don't even have the capability to do so.