Dark Souls PC 1024x768 (Comparison Shots)

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -

I posted this on the Steam forums for Dark Souls awhile ago, figured I should share this here as well.

1024x768 internal resolution is bad, that much is clear. This thread aims to provide some comparison shots so you can decide whether the resolution is acceptable or not.The game in the screenshots is ARMA2:Operation Arrowhead. I used this game as an example since it allows the user to change both the 3D resolution and the screen resolution in its options.

Aside from the resolution and 3D resolution options, I used the following settings for all the screenshots:
Texture - Low(to imitate the texture quality in Dark Souls)
Everything else - Very High(Dark Souls isn't lacking in terms of effects)
I havemaxed out AA and AF, which can be maxed out in Dark Souls either through built-in options or driver-forced AA/AF.

For every popular resolution, the screenshot is taken at its native 3D resolution and at an upscaled 3D resolution of 1280x720 (which practically speaking will be what Dark Souls' 1024x768 looks like). This is a much more elegant comparison than re-sizing images.

Set 1:
2560x1440 (Native)(Upscaled)
1920x1080 (Native)(Upscaled)
1600x900 (Native)(Upscaled)
1280x720 (Native)

Set 2:
2560x1440 (Native)(Upscaled)
1920x1080 (Native)(Upscaled)
1600x900 (Native)(Upscaled)
1280x720 (Native)

I hope these comparisons will help you to decide whether you shall stay by the campfire or leave. Finally it should be fairly easy to get HD texture packs awhile after launch, and it may even be possible to hack the internal resolution.

#2 Posted by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

These are not Dark Souls pics

#3 Posted by kaealy (2129 posts) -
Thank you, finally someone that can show the big difference between native and upscaled resolution. But won't stop people from defending this catastrophe of a port to the end.
#4 Posted by WiiMan21 (8191 posts) -

loosingENDS
Read the OP.
#5 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

What a mess...

I already made up my mind about Dark Souls,staying away from it,unless modders fix this resolution issue (though I'm not getting my hopes up)...

#6 Posted by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

Wow, the difference is quite noticeable isn't it...

#7 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -
Upon a bit of inspection, I'm starting to notice that some shadow effects do not appear in the screenshots with lower 3D resolution. This means that the actual difference in terms of 3D resolution should be very slightly smaller than the perceived difference from those shots.
#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

ummm it says dark souls... but it's not

my head hurts

na but your right. upscaling can cause issues

#9 Posted by theSADmafioso (482 posts) -

As long as it doesn't crash to desktop and keeps a steadier FPS I'm happy. I don't understand why people are expecting this game to look pretty on PC when it looked shoddy on consoles. This is a game you buy because it has the best gameplay this gen for christ sake and now it's on awesome PC with extra content.

#10 Posted by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

As long as it doesn't crash to desktop and keeps a steadier FPS I'm happy. I don't understand why people are expecting this game to look pretty on PC when it looked shoddy on consoles. This is a game you buy because it has the best gameplay this gen for christ sake and now it's on awesome PC with extra content.

theSADmafioso
Agreed... Although for those that already have it on console like myself, better graphics would warrant a second purchase, at least for me. Now I think I'll probably just get the DLC for the ps3 version...
#11 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

theSADmafioso
Dark Souls was a great looking game on consoles. It could have looked even better if the devs put any effort whatsoever into the port.
#12 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

And you guys expecting mods to fix a broken port are insane. A lot of you are already putting all your marbles in for the possibility of mods. However, we don't know how moddable a game like Dark Souls is going to be.

#13 Posted by Sushiglutton (6819 posts) -
Very noticeable difference, that's for sure (like the trees in the baclground of the second set). Especially sad since DS has some of the best art ever. Hopefully it can get fixed by the comunity.
#14 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

And you guys expecting mods to fix a broken port are insane. A lot of you are already putting all your marbles in for the possibility of mods. However, we don't know how moddable a game like Dark Souls is going to be.

JangoWuzHere

I'm not getting my hopes up too much,although the possiblity is always there.Just take a look at GTA 4,released as one of the most broken ports in recent times,yet now after some modding it's one of the visually most impesssive games out there...

If DS gets modded and these issues get fixed,great,if not,meh,there are other games to play.

#15 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

theSADmafioso

Expecting a properly customizable resolution,a thing present in EVERY modern PC game is in no way expecting a game to look pretty...

Whining about lack of HD texture packs and DX11 features would be expecting the game to look pretty.

#16 Posted by theSADmafioso (482 posts) -

[QUOTE="theSADmafioso"]

Rocker6

Expecting a properly customizable resolution,a thing present in EVERY modern PC game is in no way expecting a game to look pretty...

Whining about lack of HD texture packs and DX11 features would be expecting the game to look pretty.

People signed for a port and got one. From Software is an awesome company that was honest about what they were going to give us. I don't understand the complaints, I respect that it's not good enough for you and can vote with your money by not buying this port. I'm buying day one as long as there are no buggy crashes to desktop and extrem framerate dips because that's where my standard is when it comes to pc games. On the other hand if these problems are present I'll vote with my money and not buy the game. Instead of b****ing about it on the internet when clearly I have no plans of playing the game. Durr.

#17 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Rocker6

I'm not getting my hopes up too much,although the possiblity is always there.Just take a look at GTA 4,released as one of the most broken ports in recent times,yet now after some modding it's one of the visually most impesssive games out there...

If DS gets modded and these issues get fixed,great,if not,meh,there are other games to play.

GTA 4 had a lot of mods which added some cool stuff, but that also worked as a negative against it. Online play was a disaster and anyone with mods could bring that stuff into public games just to grief other players.

Dark Soul's online is far more important then GTA 4. You are missing out on a ton of content and gameplay if you play offline in Dark Souls. I am actually scared about how easy it is to mod game files. I don't think Dark Souls is going to ship with any sort of anti cheat to keep hackers and modded files away. We also don't know how the game will control with mouse and keyboard. They did a demo on the PC version recently, and it was all with a 360 controller.A lot of people seem to think that all the PC versions issues is with the graphics and GFWL. However, I am imaging a far more disasterous outcome overall.

#18 Posted by Peredith (2289 posts) -

So much for the "definite version". It's going to look worse than the console version :lol:

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#19 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

So much for the "definite version". It's going to look worse than the console version :lol:

Peredith

:lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#20 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Peredith

Your trolling is really poor sometimes and too obvious, Try Harder !!

But it's going to look the same as the console version, which at least it doesn't look worse, and the framerate will be a solid 30 instead of the huge dips the consoles had. It'll be interesting how it plays out but I don't think it will do too well

#21 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22288 posts) -

Peredith

How? At worse, it should look just like the console version. With PC monitors typically being smaller than living room 1080p HDTVs, Dark Souls PC isn't going to look as bad.

#22 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

JangoWuzHere

Hell no at your lack of faith. Modders fixed Resident Evil 4 with time, that game is the definite version now on the PC, and that was a broken port, probably the worst port in existence.

This is just the graphics here, that sh*t will get fixed within the week (framerate and resolution), no matter how unmoddable it is.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
#23 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Lucianu

This is just the graphics here, that sh*t will get fixed within the week (framerate and resolution), no matter how unmoddable it is.

Yup. LA noire was released with a 30fps cap on PC.A mod was released to remove that within the first week of release. And LA Noire does not have any other mods,I believe.
#24 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

call_of_duty_10

Yup. LA noire was released with a 30fps cap on PC.A mod was released to remove that within the first week of release. And LA Noire does not have any other mods,I believe.

La noire was capped at 30 FPS for a reason. Releasing the FPS cap screwed up the driving mechanics and physics.

#25 Posted by Davekeeh (4019 posts) -

Poor Hermits, a terrible port and no Demon's souls one of the best games ever LOL

#26 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="theSADmafioso"]

theSADmafioso

People signed for a port and got one. From Software is an awesome company that was honest about what they were going to give us. I don't understand the complaints, I respect that it's not good enough for you and can vote with your money by not buying this port. I'm buying day one as long as there are no buggy crashes to desktop and extrem framerate dips because that's where my standard is when it comes to pc games. On the other hand if these problems are present I'll vote with my money and not buy the game. Instead of b****ing about it on the internet when clearly I have no plans of playing the game. Durr.

I too signed for a port,but got a mess instead.

While their honesty is appreciated and rarely seen in the gaming industry nowdays,it still doesn't turn a mess into a port.

Also,if these resolution issues get "patched",I have a very clear intention of playing the game.

#27 Posted by 4dr1el (2380 posts) -

Nice. hermits are getting mad. Hopefully DS fails on PC and Namco wont release its future iterations for it ever again. Lets see hermits cry again signing petitions so that they can bring the series back to PC. As much as they deny it on the internets to sound cool I'm pretty sure they prefer a bad port to no port at all

lewl

#28 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="Lucianu"]

This is just the graphics here, that sh*t will get fixed within the week (framerate and resolution), no matter how unmoddable it is.JangoWuzHere

La noire was capped at 30 FPS for a reason. Releasing the FPS cap screwed up the driving mechanics and physics.

Yeah,that 60 FPS mod breaks the game,makes it nearly unplayable.

30 FPS isn't much of an issue in LA Noire,the game remains perfectly playable,also,its focus wasn't fast paced shooting,so I had no real issues with that.

#29 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Nice. PC hermits are getting mad. Hopefully DS fails on PC and Namco wont release its future iterations for it ever again. Lets see hermits cry again signing petitions so that they can bring the series back to PC

lewl

4dr1el

0_rofl.gif@ this insecure fool. Everytime you get the chance you diss on them like your life depends on it. The only thing you're proving is that your either emotionally scarred because a group of PC gamers beat you down wen you were little, or you're a jelous fanboy.

#30 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Poor Hermits, a terrible port and no Demon's souls one of the best games ever LOL

Davekeeh

The thing is,even in this miserable state,Dark Souls on the PC willl end up superior to console versions,has earlier bonus content,and stable frame rate...

Sad stuff,huh? :(

#31 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11613 posts) -

loosingENDS

Who cares....look at that cinematic blur. :D

#32 Posted by 4dr1el (2380 posts) -

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

Nice. PC hermits are getting mad. Hopefully DS fails on PC and Namco wont release its future iterations for it ever again. Lets see hermits cry again signing petitions so that they can bring the series back to PC

lewl

Lucianu

0_rofl.gif@ this insecure fool. Everytime you get the chance you diss on them like your life depends on it. The only thing you're proving is that your either emotionally scarred because a group of PC gamers beat you down wen you were little, or you're a jelous fanboy.

#33 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

GTA 4 had a lot of mods which added some cool stuff, but that also worked as a negative against it. Online play was a disaster and anyone with mods could bring that stuff into public games just to grief other players.

Dark Soul's online is far more important then GTA 4. You are missing out on a ton of content and gameplay if you play offline in Dark Souls. I am actually scared about how easy it is to mod game files. I don't think Dark Souls is going to ship with any sort of anti cheat to keep hackers and modded files away. We also don't know how the game will control with mouse and keyboard. They did a demo on the PC version recently, and it was all with a 360 controller.A lot of people seem to think that all the PC versions issues is with the graphics and GFWL. However, I am imaging a far more disasterous outcome overall.

A valid point about on-line,although if I get the game,will be going for an off-line playthrough,despite missing some content...

Also,about m/k support,here,read this.Don't be getting your hopes up,grab a controller...

I have a PS3 one ready in case I end up getting the game later on...

#34 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="Lucianu"]

This is just the graphics here, that sh*t will get fixed within the week (framerate and resolution), no matter how unmoddable it is.JangoWuzHere

The point was that removing an fps cap is not difficult.
#35 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11613 posts) -
Hey hermits, is there anyway to improve the up-scaling quality of the game? I'm sure there should be a few settings on the Nvidia or Catalyst control panel that will make it better than just having the game upscale? Yes? No?
#36 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
And I'm sure NGBI/From Software will use the poor sales from this to write of PC as a viable platform...
#37 Posted by Peredith (2289 posts) -

[QUOTE="Peredith"]

jun_aka_pekto

How? At worse, it should look just like the console version. With PC monitors typically being smaller than living room 1080p HDTVs, Dark Souls PC isn't going to look as bad.

PC upscaled:

6E2C7F8AE0255380901711C7B06BA127959752AB

Xbox 360 upscaled:

#38 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Nice. hermits are getting mad. Hopefully DS fails on PC and Namco wont release its future iterations for it ever again. Lets see hermits cry again signing petitions so that they can bring the series back to PC. As much as they deny it on the internets to sound cool I'm pretty sure they prefer a bad port to no port at all

lewl

4dr1el

Only immature idiots would want anything to fail. If it were up to system wars the whole damn industry would just fail for the sake of gloating or bragging rights here. You would want a talented team of devs to put out a version of a game and hopefully make more money for more games to fail all because you could rub it in PC players faces? That's the most childish BS that goes on around here

#39 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

4dr1el

jay2.gifAngry jelous sucka thinks i'm gonna read all that sh*t.

#40 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] Yup. LA noire was released with a 30fps cap on PC.A mod was released to remove that within the first week of release. And LA Noire does not have any other mods,I believe.call_of_duty_10

Okay? Well it didn't fix the game and that is the main point if anything.
#41 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Davekeeh

A terrible port and it's STILL better than the console version. Think before you speak

#42 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -

lewl

4dr1el

Sound jelly.

Here's a bucket for your tears.

Empty%20Bucket.png

#43 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Hey hermits, is there anyway to improve the up-scaling quality of the game? I'm sure there should be a few settings on the Nvidia or Catalyst control panel that will make it better than just having the game upscale? Yes? No?

Dunno whether it will work in your case ,but upscaled images look a lot better (on my pc)when upscaled by the monitor,and not the GPU. There's an option for that in the nvidia control panel.
#44 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

Lucianu

jay2.gifAngry jelous sucka thinks i'm gonna read all that sh*t.

I bet he didn't even read it himself, he just saw the title and saves it to spam everywhere when he has nothing else valid to say

#45 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

Okay? Well it didn't fix the game and that is the main point if anything.

We dont know whether 60 fps will f*ck up dark souls or not,yet.
#46 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11613 posts) -
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Hey hermits, is there anyway to improve the up-scaling quality of the game? I'm sure there should be a few settings on the Nvidia or Catalyst control panel that will make it better than just having the game upscale? Yes? No?

Dunno whether it will work in your case ,but upscaled images look a lot better (on my pc)when upscaled by the monitor,and not the GPU. There's an option for that in the nvidia control panel.

I'll have to try it out.
#47 Posted by Peredith (2289 posts) -

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

seanmcloughlin

A terrible port and it's STILL better than the console version. Think before you speak

We don't know that yet. If they can't even code proper resolutions, the game might be buggy as sh!t. Plus due to using GFWL, there's going to be no patches to fix it due to the cost.

#48 Posted by Davekeeh (4019 posts) -

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Rocker6

The thing is,even in this miserable state,Dark Souls on the PC willl end up superior to console versions,has earlier bonus content,and stable frame rate...

I don't care for Dark Souls LOL that game sucks. The only good thing i can say about Dark Souls is that it has slightly better graphics. Demon's Souls is where it's at

Avatar image for apocalypsehorse
#49 Posted by apocalypsehorse (417 posts) -

Peredith

No one said that.

Game looks great on consoles.:lol:

#50 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

I don't care for Dark Souls LOL that game sucks. The only good thing i can say about Dark Souls is that it has slightly better graphics. Demon's Souls is where it's at

Something tells me you'd sing a different tune if the game remained a PS3 exclusive ;)