Dark Souls III - better than Bloodborne?

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DressYouUp
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

The game is amazing, and so much better than Bloodborne.

Anyone else agree?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

Can't be, it's not exclusive

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@howmakewood said:

lmao , nailed it !

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Have you played either of them?

They're about equal for me. Bloodborne still has my favorite combat, lore, and atmosphere out of the Souls games. Dark Souls 3 has more build variety than Bloodborne, it's my favorite Souls world to explore while being more refined gameplay wise than all of the other games in the series except Bloodborne, and it's also the most consistent, getting better as the game progresses.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@howmakewood said:

and it ain't locked @30 fps

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DressYouUp
@kratosyoloswag said:

Have you played either of them?

They're about equal for me. Bloodborne still has my favorite combat, lore, and atmosphere out of the Souls games. Dark Souls 3 has more build variety than Bloodborne, it's my favorite Souls world to explore while being more refined gameplay wise than all of the other games in the series except Bloodborne, and it's also the most consistent, getting better as the game progresses.

Yes I own both of them (DSIII on Xbox One EN version from the JP store).

DSIII is the FROM game we've been waiting for. Bloodborne is entirely overrated and very samey.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood

@the_master_race said:
@howmakewood said:

and it ain't locked @30 fps

It's not true souls experience if it's not sub 30 with shit frame pacing

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It looks better than bloodborne. I'm actually looking forward to a souls game, can't believe it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Yes it will be better. Being better than a masterpiece is special but in Miyasaki we trust.

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

The series seems to be getting better with each iteration (sans DS2), so I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Gameplay can't beat it since I prefer Bloodborne style over the standard souls combat but I'm sure it will be great as well. I love every souls game including DS2 yes. but overall replay value of DS3 Will be better. This is bloodborne's biggest flaw.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Yes i agree..........and probably DS3 is the best Dark Souls game.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DressYouUp

@a-new-guardian said:

Gameplay can't beat it since I prefer Bloodborne style over the standard souls combat but I'm sure it will be great as well. I love every souls game including DS2 yes. but overall replay value of DS3 Will be better. This is bloodborne's biggest flaw.

The lack of build and environment variety kind of kills Bloodborne for me. By the Mergo's Wet Nurse I was thinking "thank God it's almost over".

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Game is not released in EU, how could i know?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_

I'm preparing my body to receive this glorious game in me. The ritual has began.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Bloodborne was absolutely spectacular right until you beat Rom. Then it went to shit.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_

@Juub1990 said:

Bloodborne was absolutely spectacular right until you beat Rom. Then it went to shit.

I hear this a lot and i simply don't get it. What was so bad after Rom? Rom as a boss is garbage and probably the worst in the game but i cannot see anything bad after beating him. I did enjoy the city part of the game more than the later levels but saying that it went to shit? hell no.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Juub1990
@silversix_ said:

I hear this a lot and i simply don't get it. What was so bad after Rom? Rom as a boss is garbage and probably the worst in the game but i cannot see anything bad after beating him. I did enjoy the city part of the game more than the later levels but saying that it went to shit? hell no.

I think the first half of Bloodborne was brilliant. Better than DkS or Demon's Souls. The second half was worst than DkSII. Here is what I absolutely laothed:

1. Difficulty spike. Bloodborne was probably sitting somewhere along the lines of Demon's Souls in terms of difficulty for the first half. It was difficult but manageable, then all hell broke loose. A fatal flaw in its design is that pretty much every enemy respawns so when you reach Yahargul, those Bell Maidens turn the area into a boring chore. They are like the Necromancers in DkS except worse. They not only make many enemies respawn every couple of seconds but they power up hugely every type of mobs unlike the Necromancers who were specialized with skeletons. That makes the whole place downright frustrating to navigate as a small mob can quickly tear you apart and to make matters worse the mobs get substantially larger for no apparent reason. If there was a build up, a curve that allowed you to ease up into the increase in difficulty I wouldn't bitch, but they just boosted it up out of nowhere.

2. Punishing mechanics. Gaining Insight is pretty much useless except if you wanna buy things. Some enemies gain new abilities when you acquire it. It reduces your Frenzy resistance which is extremely annoying and makes Beast Blood Pellets less effective. Brain of Mensis induces Frenzy by simply being in its line of sight.

3. Variety in gear starts to set in. In the other Souls games you have more weapons and armors than you can shake a stick at. I've been running with my Yarhnam Hunter set for hours upon hours with nothing more compelling. The fact that the whole game focuses on melee means less variety in play styles and less customization for your character. It's alright at first but the lack of variety is very noticeable after 20+hrs.

4. Game encourages you to rush through areas. Ties in with point number 1. Since even the most difficult and annoying enemies respawn, at some point you just get fed up and you just sprint from point A to point B.

These are my main complaints. The first half was so masterfully crafted and well paced. The second half is just...awful. The first half feels like everything that FROM learned from their previous three games was carefully applied. The second half is pretty much all of the flaws they kept repeating in each games rolled in a few hours(countless ambushes, large mobs, bad difficulty spikes, frustrating navigation).

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_

@Juub1990: Agree about the #3. The rest didn't bother me at all. I also hated Yahargul but not because of constant enemies spam (which is dumb, yes) but the level design itself felt bad compared to the rest. Personally, i felt like Demon's Souls was significantly harder than the first part of BB. From 1/3rd of the game to the end, i played with 99 insight and the difficulty felt right. Then i decided to spend it all on bolt paper for pvp and i remember thinking my game is bugged, it go so easy that i do not want to see this kind of difficulty in my Souls games. I enjoyed pretty much all the levels after Rom but Yahargul,,, fugly ass level.

Pretty much the only disappointments i will never forget is the poor weapon/armor variety and crappy matchmaking. Loved everything else except being forced to do boring dungeons for level 19 gems. Thanks **** the gem system isn't back in dark souls 3, that was such a pain if you're building multiple pvp characters.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DressYouUp

Don't forget about the awful Chalice Dungeons.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Is Dark Souls III out already?

Anyhow, will pick up Dark Souls III for sure. I'm playing Dark Souls II: Scholar of First Sin edition at the moment. I plan on finishing it before I get Dark Souls III though, partially to see if I'm still in the mood, but right now feeling very positive about it.

I've still yet to finish Bloodborne, I rarely fire up my PS4, I need to more often. I don't even have PS+ though which kind of takes some key features out of that but it should still be playable. Only benefit Dark Souls III will have with me particularly is I can play it on the Xbox One, which I'm always on, and I have an active XBLG membership.

Looking forward too to getting Dark Souls via BC along with Dark Souls III as well. I never finished the first game, it was my introduction Souls game and one I never quite got the hang of the leveling/stats mechanics of the game really, that and I ruined the game for myself by killing an essential friendly NPC. It wasn't until I played Lords of the Fallen, largely regarded as a light Souls type game with less difficulty, less features, it wasn't until I played that I got more familiar with how these games played. It was a great game, and a great introduction to this style of game. Since then I've been more willing to go back and play more of the origin Dark Souls games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
@silversix_ said:

@Juub1990: Agree about the #3. The rest didn't bother me at all. I also hated Yahargul but not because of constant enemies spam (which is dumb, yes) but the level design itself felt bad compared to the rest. Personally, i felt like Demon's Souls was significantly harder than the first part of BB. From 1/3rd of the game to the end, i played with 99 insight and the difficulty felt right. Then i decided to spend it all on bolt paper for pvp and i remember thinking my game is bugged, it go so easy that i do not want to see this kind of difficulty in my Souls games. I enjoyed pretty much all the levels after Rom but Yahargul,,, fugly ass level.

Pretty much the only disappointments i will never forget is the poor weapon/armor variety and crappy matchmaking. Loved everything else except being forced to do boring dungeons for level 19 gems. Thanks **** the gem system isn't back in dark souls 3, that was such a pain if you're building multiple pvp characters.

I got something like 40 Madman's Knowledge in my inventory. I didn't even know bolt was so effective.

I guess the point I'm really trying to make is the game design kinda turned upside down after Rom. If it was like that from the start it wouldn't be too much of an issue but when random hunters(mobs, not NPC's) start to hit you for 80% of your health with a single bullet then something is royally f'd up. Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that other enemy hunters aren't bound to the same rules as you are. They seem much harder to stagger, their weapons just go through furniture and they have 5x your amount of health.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DressYouUp

@lamprey263 said:

Is Dark Souls III out already?

You can get the English version on Xbox One using the Japanese store.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The only thing I didn't like about post-Rom BB was the lack of endgame build variety and those fucking frenzy inducing brains. My wife is buying me DS3 for my b-day which is coming up.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Juub1990
@Boddicker said:

The only thing I didn't like about post-Rom BB was the lack of endgame build variety and those fucking frenzy inducing brains. My wife is buying me DS3 for my b-day which is coming up.

Agree with that. I mean the previous games where by no means perfect but the end game PvP was a lot of fun. In Bloodborne? Not so much.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silversix_

@Juub1990 said:
@Boddicker said:

Agree with that. I mean the previous games where by no means perfect but the end game PvP was a lot of fun. In Bloodborne? Not so much.

I still enjoyed it and spent over 200h in pvp alone. Thanks to Burial Blade, tho. My fav weapon of the whole series, had a loooooot of fun destroying people with that sexy thing. BB would've been legendary if it had ~50 weapons all with their own transformations and movesets. I'm glad Miya saw all the complaints about the lack of build variety. Dark Souls 3 sure won't disappoint in that department.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

And the shitty blood vial system, long load times, and having to warp between different areas just to respawn enemies.

Seriously, Bloodborne was pretty fucking lame. I don't understand how people hate on DSII and call BB a masterpiece. Both have flaws, but the issues in BB are far more critical.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 naughtyottsel
Member since 2016 • 1801 Posts

Highly considering getting this game, I really enjoyed Dark Souls 1 on Steam so I might get this on PS4.

Mandingo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mandingo101
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@DressYouUp said:

And the shitty blood vial system, long load times, and having to warp between different areas just to respawn enemies.

Seriously, Bloodborne was pretty fucking lame. I don't understand how people hate on DSII and call BB a masterpiece. Both have flaws, but the issues in BB are far more critical.

Im sorry, but this is just delusional . DS2 had core flaws and poor design . Bloodborne issues boil down to minor annoyances . Load times were improved soon after launch, download the patch, it's free. The biggest Bloodborne issue was lack of build variety, which is expected for the first game in a new franchise that is establishing new mechanics and atmosphere and character design. Demons most popular builds were probably strength and quality.

My question is why does DS3 still have the bad animations and hitboxes? Are they not allowed to use technology advancements from BB because it was codeveloped?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Haven't played it yet.

But i like the setting in Bloodborne more.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@JangoWuzHere said:
@DressYouUp said:

**** no, basic combat is unbearable at times in Dark Souls 2. The game skates by on its core mechanics and the "well the build variety", but everything else blows so much cock. Fucking turning the dodge into its own stat? **** you From Software.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Yes it will be better. Being better than a masterpiece is special but in Miyasaki we trust.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Bloodborne being the one highly rated exclusive on PS4 isn't exactly a good thing since it's not a new IP as Sony touted it out to be, and games like DS/DS2 and now DS3 are pretty much the same game as Bloodborne, but are coming to X1 and PC so everyone can enjoy them.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Never tried BB, currently playing DS2 SSIn edition, I like it, just like I really enjoyed DS1.....but I don't know, I'm starting to think DS1 is better than DS2. DS2 is great so far, I am at the Gutter area. But overall it feels too similar to DS1, maybe I've not gotten far enough.

I just hope DS3 feels more fresh than DS2, I'd like less platforming overall.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@howmakewood said:

I love how there's some people that say Bloodborne is not a souls game.

Don't sugar coat it. It's a souls game.

Besides I'd be pissed if Dark Souls 3 wasn't any better than Bloodborne.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

Adding to the Bloodborne discussion - Rom onwards was quite bad (level design that encouraged simply sprinting everywhere to avoid cheap deaths; weak boss fights like the guy with the cage on his head, the giant blue baby, and the wetnurse; and the lack of progression in your abilites/equipment brought it down). I also wasn't a fan of the earlier forest section - the witches felt like an irrelevant tangent, and the snakes were fun for a while, but that section went on and on.

Anyway, still a good game. I might jump into Dark Souls 3, or maybe finally play Demons Souls.

Either way, I won't be using a walkthrough or any online guides. Doing that made Dark Souls and Bloodborne a lot of fun - and if you're looking anything up, you're really not playing these games the correct way!

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts
@Planeforger said:

Adding to the Bloodborne discussion - Rom onwards was quite bad (level design that encouraged simply sprinting everywhere to avoid cheap deaths; weak boss fights like the guy with the cage on his head, the giant blue baby, and the wetnurse; and the lack of progression in your abilites/equipment brought it down). I also wasn't a fan of the earlier forest section - the witches felt like an irrelevant tangent, and the snakes were fun for a while, but that section went on and on.

Anyway, still a good game. I might jump into Dark Souls 3, or maybe finally play Demons Souls.

Either way, I won't be using a walkthrough or any online guides. Doing that made Dark Souls and Bloodborne a lot of fun - and if you're looking anything up, you're really not playing these games the correct way!

I didn't sprint anywhere to avoid any deaths except for the respawning enemies - but I don't think you were supposed to even fight them, the idea was clearly to kill the bell maidens - the mobs don't even give you any reward past their first death!

There are a lot of people who enjoyed the Mensis battle, it was less of a battle and more of a way of showing the state of the world you are in - was very atmospheric.

Anyways - I never played any of the Dark souls games because I didn't like the overly defensive battle system and clunky movement, Bloodborn looked much more in line with my style of play. Dark Souls 3 will be my first 'Souls' game.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

PS4 wins either way because we get both.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Howmakewood

@Pray_to_me said:

with ps4k you might even get the full version of ds3 too

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Indeed. Bloodborne won't be the last PS4 exclusive from From Software either.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Unless of course, you don't like any of the series.

then you lose as a PS4 owner, until U4 saves us.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#43 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Pretty much everything i'm hearing about DS3 sounds really promising. I kinda wish they would ditch their weapon upgrade system and use something closer to Lords of the Fallen so you don't end up sticking with just a handful of weapons for the entire game but I doubt that will ever happen.

look forward to diving in next week

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

How are you playing DS3?

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

How are you playing DS3?

It came out on March 24 in Japan. Also the press copies were delivered around that date.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@DressYouUp said:

**** no, basic combat is unbearable at times in Dark Souls 2. The game skates by on its core mechanics and the "well the build variety", but everything else blows so much cock. Fucking turning the dodge into its own stat? **** you From Software.

I always play as a heavy armor dude in the souls games, so I never experienced the broken dodging in DSII. I mainly just block and manage stamina while waiting for an opening.

The issues in Bloodborne totally waste my time. They had a perfectly fine health system for years, so it's even more insulting that they managed to totally **** it up. It goes completely against the flow and core design of these games. Forcing people to grind if they're struggling on a boss is just fucking terrible. I wasted hours of my life farming bloodvials just to have a chance of progressing. Never had to waste my time like that in DSII, **** Bloodborne.

It also doesn't help that I find the environments drab, the NPCs boring, and feeling of accomplishment to be completely lacking. I mean, if we really want to be honest here. DSII and BB are hardly great games compared to the original Dark Souls. Both are shitty sequels, but at least DSII isn't a slog to get through.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: The warping to respawn enemies has been in every souls game.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@DressYouUp said:

I always play as a heavy armor dude in the souls games, so I never experienced the broken dodging in DSII. I mainly just block and manage stamina while waiting for an opening.

The issues in Bloodborne totally waste my time. They had a perfectly fine health system for years, so it's even more insulting that they managed to totally **** it up. It goes completely against the flow and core design of these games. Forcing people to grind if they're struggling on a boss is just fucking terrible. I wasted hours of my life farming bloodvials just to have a chance of progressing. Never had to waste my time like that in DSII, **** Bloodborne.

It also doesn't help that I find the environments drab, the NPCs boring, and feeling of accomplishment to be completely lacking. I mean, if we really want to be honest here. DSII and BB are hardly great games compared to the original Dark Souls. Both are shitty sequels, but at least DSII isn't a slog to get through.

lol the environments are drab and the NPCs are boring? i thought we were talking about bloodborne, not dark souls 2

on topic, yes, dark souls 3 looks like the best from demon's souls, bloodborne, and dark souls. aka GOTY 2016. and the best part is miyazaki is intentionally keeping dark souls 2 references at a minimum--the sooner we forget about that abomination of a game the better.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DressYouUp

@princeofshapeir said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@DressYouUp said:

lol the environments are drab and the NPCs are boring? i thought we were talking about bloodborne, not dark souls 2

on topic, yes, dark souls 3 looks like the best from demon's souls, bloodborne, and dark souls. aka GOTY 2016

Regarding Bloodborne, aside from Central Yharnam, the environments are forgettable.

The NPCs even more so.

I am 8 hours into DS3 now, can confirm that it will be GOTY.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@DressYouUp said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

on topic, yes, dark souls 3 looks like the best from demon's souls, bloodborne, and dark souls. aka GOTY 2016

Regarding Bloodborne, aside from Central Yharnam, the environments are forgettable.

The NPCs even more so.

I am 8 hours into DS3 now, can confirm that it will be GOTY.

this is just baffling to me. every area in bloodborne was dripping with atmosphere and meticulous attention to detail. every area in the game is fantastic and the best ones put the best areas in demon's souls and dark souls to shame. forbidden woods, cainhurst, old yharnam, and upper cathedral ward in particular are fantastic. and of course, the DLC areas are in a league of their own