Damn...Concurrent Steam Users count reaches 7.5M

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z said:

@CroidX said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

proof of so called bigger profit in day one purchased?

It is well known. Consolites buy day one then re-sell shortly afterwards in order to minimise expenses.

Look at BF4, PC has 600k sales according to VGCharts. Let's assume 70% bought it digitally instead. That makes 2Mil.

Now compare that to consoles, past 5Mil already.

And due to the competitive and online nature of said game, it is logical to assume single player ones do a lot worse.

Pc gamers predomintely buy at discount on Steam/watever during sales, or anyway once prices start dropping.

So, total volume sales might be comparable or even better on PC, but obviously publishers/devs get less profit from pc as a platform

The fact that you´re assuming a random number for BF4 PC invalidates that argument,in fact it seems that it´s the version with most peak players of all versions of the game,I´d bet it sold at the very least twice as much as you said it did,not to mention that just looking at past BF games,the PC version of BF BC2 was according to Dice the best selling version of the game and BF2 sold over 11M copies on the PC.

Now adding to this the fact that if you buy BF4 through origin like most people do,the profit is 100% to EA/Dice,while the console versions through retail(where they sell by far the most) only bring around 30% revenue for the dev/publisher,so even if the console versions had sold say,twice as much as the PC version the PC version would still be overall making more money to EA/Dice.

Not to mention that on top of all this,you´re quoting vgchartz.

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

@CroidX said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

So your combining the sales of four platforms to one? And what evidence do you that shows pc gamers pre dominantly buy at discount the top sellers on steam are mostly games not on sale.

Of course, the argument is consoles vs pc profits. Always been like that.

Listen I don't care if you believe it or not, do your own research, I got nothing to gain either way.

PS- In steam top 50 sellers (action) only one game is full price atm, COD. Meanwhile ps3+4 and xb360+1 users are still buying everything full price in the millions.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

Assuming random numbers for PC made your argument invalid anyways.

PS. No shit its the Christmas holiday sales when hundred of games and the ones at full price are on sale

K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

@Nanomage said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z said:

@CroidX said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

proof of so called bigger profit in day one purchased?

It is well known. Consolites buy day one then re-sell shortly afterwards in order to minimise expenses.

Look at BF4, PC has 600k sales according to VGCharts. Let's assume 70% bought it digitally instead. That makes 2Mil.

Now compare that to consoles, past 5Mil already.

And due to the competitive and online nature of said game, it is logical to assume single player ones do a lot worse.

Pc gamers predomintely buy at discount on Steam/watever during sales, or anyway once prices start dropping.

So, total volume sales might be comparable or even better on PC, but obviously publishers/devs get less profit from pc as a platform

The fact that you´re assuming a random number for BF4 PC invalidates that argument,in fact it seems that it´s the version with most peak players of all versions of the game,I´d bet it sold at the very least twice as much as you said it did,not to mention that just looking at past BF games,the PC version of BF BC2 was according to Dice the best selling version of the game and BF2 sold over 11M copies on the PC.

Now adding to this the fact that if you buy BF4 through origin like most people do,the profit is 100% to EA/Dice,while the console versions through retail(where they sell by far the most) only bring around 30% revenue for the dev/publisher,so even if the console versions had sold say,twice as much as the PC version the PC version would still be overall making more money to EA/Dice.

Not to mention that on top of all this,you´re quoting vgchartz.

Here's Bf4 player stats, from this very forum itself http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/battlefield-4-player-stats-consoles-dominate-31005623/?messageId=341976279&page=2#js-message-82

Also keep in mind BF4 is a unique case, with EA doing everything in house on pc side, dev+publish+store owner.

Steam gets a 30% cut on games for instance.

I gave ya a 70% bonus over VGcharts' stats. You want 80%? 90%? 99.9%?

Also, this might be sort of a circular argument, but why would developers treat PC like an ugly redhead diseased stepchild if profits were higher ? Mhm?

K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

@CroidX said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

Assuming random numbers for PC made your argument invalid anyways.

PS. No shit its the Christmas holiday sales when hundred of games and the ones at full price are on sale

I linked a thread about concurrent online users, if that's good enough for ya.

If you jack***** care so much about precise numbers go on Origin and check the stats. Yeah I know it's harder than spouting random memes on a forum, but ya can do it.

You're the one who brought up Steam as proof, what period were you talking about? Do you have any proof you so eagerly request from others about what you claimed then?

But hey congrats you "win" the argument!

Ok guys pc is the most profitable Platform ever, all devs are rushing to develop on it, no way in hell it only gets indies and badly ported multiplats, no no no sir.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

Those stats are pointless when they changed constantly

https://www.facebook.com/BF4Stats?hc_location=timeline

on November 1 it showed the pc peaking 140k

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/steam-top-ten-sellers-chart-october-20-26/0123268

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/steam-top-ten-sellers-chart-september-8-14/0121075

there are more from this site lol

And are you linking to that thread lol

Yea you mean the better version of nearly all multiplats hmmmm

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@CroidX said:

@wis3boi:

GW2 not cutting it?

I havent played in months due to zero content updates, never played GW1, so I went back to lotro

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@silversix_ said:

@wis3boi: oh but i knew that, i played GW1 like two weeks ago and that's over 8y old.

a good chunk of my gw2 guild went back to gw1

wouldn't be surprised, if you don't like or tired of WvW there's absolutely nothing to do

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@xboxdone74 said:

wow. that's quite a low number when compared to consoles. thought steam was out of the niche scene by now.

lol sure is,that´s why the record for either console never even passed 3M,both together isn´t enough to even get close to steam,and that´s steam alone lol.

Don´t be salty. ;)

Xbox live hit 3.3 million during MW 3's launch window. Most of those people were playing games. Most of those 7.5 million are surfing the web or maybe not even home.

Let´s see the stats then,where can you prove that most were playing games when that specific peak was achieved? Link? Or just the usual blabber?

I say only 500k were playing games,can you prove me wrong?

Activision confirmed 1.4 million simultaneous MW 3 players.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@wis3boi said:

@silversix_ said:

@wis3boi: oh but i knew that, i played GW1 like two weeks ago and that's over 8y old.

wouldn't be surprised, if you don't like or tired of WvW there's absolutely nothing to do

What a huge letdown 2 was. I mean they fucked up so bad.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Nanomage

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@xboxdone74 said:

wow. that's quite a low number when compared to consoles. thought steam was out of the niche scene by now.

lol sure is,that´s why the record for either console never even passed 3M,both together isn´t enough to even get close to steam,and that´s steam alone lol.

Don´t be salty. ;)

Xbox live hit 3.3 million during MW 3's launch window. Most of those people were playing games. Most of those 7.5 million are surfing the web or maybe not even home.

Let´s see the stats then,where can you prove that most were playing games when that specific peak was achieved? Link? Or just the usual blabber?

But that´s not most now is it? That´s less than half.

And let´s see a link as well just to make sure.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 silversix_

@millerlight89 said:

@silversix_ said:

@wis3boi said:

@silversix_ said:

What a huge letdown 2 was. I mean they fucked up so bad.

fuckedup isn't enough to describe how fucked the 2 is. the best part is that in 16 months instead of getting better it got worst, waaaaaaay worst. the team in charge of this game are as braindead as it gets

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Cranler

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z said:

This is very true, however I have to agree with the consolites about bigger profits being on the console side of things, due to day-one purchases and less piracy.

Plus very generous "gifts" from MS and Sony.

Then again digital sales are more than twice as profitable for publishers.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Cranler

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Don´t be salty. ;)

You said 500k and I proved you wrong.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Nanomage

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Don´t be salty. ;)

You typed words but didn´t show any proff,show me a link.

Here´s a link for you of League of Legends and it´s 5 MILLION concurent record,so League alone has more concurrent players than the entirity of xbox live,in fact if we add psn I bet it doesn´t beat those 5M still,just to remind you that when you or anyone talks of steam against one of the console services,remember that steam is only one of many places that people play PC games,if all PC games out there were all on steam and steam was required to play all of them like the consoles do with their games,then the count would be a massacre.

Also,those peaks on xbox live happen during the course of a day or two max and then they go down exponentially,while steam maintains these high numbers about every single day throughout the whole year,and again,that´s steam alone and not the entirity of the PC online market against the full console market,now that´s some impressive shit right there.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46230 Posts

@mr-powers said:

Hahaha that game list is sad. Only like 1 or 2 new games, football manager and alpha version of an old mod. PC gamers, always stuck in the past with their windows xp master rigs. Hahahaha

Sad ? I think it's great that PC gamers don't move on to the next big thing every time it comes out and actually have a community for games. On consoles a game's multiplayer dies when the next game in the franchise comes out, now that is sad.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Cranler

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@Cranler said:

@Nanomage said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Don´t be salty. ;)

You typed words but didn´t show any proff,show me a link.

Here´s a link for you of League of Legends and it´s 5 MILLION concurent record,so League alone has more concurrent players than the entirity of xbox live,in fact if we add psn I bet it doesn´t beat those 5M still,just to remind you that when you or anyone talks of steam against one of the console services,remember that steam is only one of many places that people play PC games,if all PC games out there were all on steam and steam was required to play all of them like the consoles do with their games,then the count would be a massacre.

Also,those peaks on xbox live happen during the course of a day or two max and then they go down exponentially,while steam maintains these high numbers about every single day throughout the whole year,and again,that´s steam alone and not the entirity of the PC online market against the full console market,now that´s some impressive shit right there.

Google it.

A free game has more users than a paid service for paid games? No, can't be!

One game has more players than a free service that sells 3 decades worth of games? No way! Wasn't being sarcastic this time.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Ahh system wars...

PC gamers providing links and facts and console fanboys providing randomn made up numbers and unproven opinions.......Say it aint so.

This usually never happens.............................

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@naz99:

Fact:PC panhandlers don't like their games, so resort to begging for console ports.Keep on beggin'. :)

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-release-gta-v-on-pc

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@naz99:

Fact:PC panhandlers don't like their games, so resort to begging for console ports.Keep on beggin'. :)

I don't see the point in that petition, it will come to PC regardless, and will be by far the best version.

funny though. there are more people playing DoTA 2 than have signed that petition right this second. let along WoW or LoL or WoT or any other games like it. that 600k is a tiny fraction of pc gaming. console peasants like yourself won't know because all you play is shooters and sports.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

7.5m people in a entire world of 7 billion isn't a lot. And how many of those people were online just to play free games like DOTA2? Or how many of those people were playing it just because of 1 or 2 games they had?

Not to mention a lot of gamers leave their PC's on. So just having steam running and not even being home or playing a game counts you among one of those people.

World of warcraft had over 11 million people playing at once at one point and it was just one single game.

Im not impressed because it doesn't really mean much when you look at the nuts and bolts of it.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MBirdy88: all I play is shooters? PS3 released the most diverse number of exclusives this year alone, than any other system. All PC panhandlers play are mmos and rts...until they petition for say....Dark Souls for example. Keep on beggin. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@xboxdone74 said:

@MBirdy88: all I play is shooters? PS3 released the most diverse number of exclusives this year alone, than any other system. All PC panhandlers play are mmos and rts...until they petition for say....Dark Souls for example. Keep on beggin. :)

10 hour movie games... fantastic variety.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Cranler

@xboxdone74 said:

@naz99:

PC gamers dont like having to dust off their consoles to play a game at low res and 30 fps.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@naz99:

And your proof that a PC gamers created that useless petition instead of some moronic consolite fanboy is where?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#77 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mr-powers said:

Hahaha that game list is sad. Only like 1 or 2 new games, football manager and alpha version of an old mod. PC gamers, always stuck in the past with their windows xp master rigs. Hahahaha

That just illustrates what people want in games. It certainly isn't fancy graphics and cinematic experiences.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@lostrib said:

@silversix_ said:

ppl still play l4d2? what the hell

They gave it away for free during the sale. But the usual peak for the game is around 10-15K

that is still shitload of ppl for an old game like that

Pc games never seem to die like console games do.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Gargus said:

7.5m people in a entire world of 7 billion isn't a lot. And how many of those people were online just to play free games like DOTA2? Or how many of those people were playing it just because of 1 or 2 games they had?

Not to mention a lot of gamers leave their PC's on. So just having steam running and not even being home or playing a game counts you among one of those people.

World of warcraft had over 11 million people playing at once at one point and it was just one single game.

Im not impressed because it doesn't really mean much when you look at the nuts and bolts of it.

That is still higher than xbox live ever achieved. Also Wow had 12million subscribers not playing simultaneously

When you look strictly the gaming world then yes that is impressive

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

7.5m concurrent users is just how many people have Steam on. I never turn Steam off. It's always running in the background. But yes the sales, which have been amazing again this year, is he reason for that spike. It's usually between 3-5 million.

Man, the lines between PC and consoles are blurring so much its crazy. I mean, I can hook up the PC to the TV and play games using a 360 controller. It's the definition of console gaming.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@RadioGooGoo said:

7.5m concurrent users is just how many people have Steam on. I never turn Steam off. It's always running in the background. But yes the sales, which have been amazing again this year, is he reason for that spike. It's usually between 3-5 million.

Man, the lines between PC and consoles are blurring so much its crazy. I mean, I can hook up the PC to the TV and play games using a 360 controller. It's the definition of console gaming.

Whats your point, i never turn steam on unless im using it it is also turned off if im using another service like origin when my pc is not being used its turned off and so is steam.

Whats with everyone one trying to come up with crap excuses to justify the numbers, 7.5 million is awesome its way more than either console and its only gonna get bigger.

And the usual numbers are usually between 5-7 million not 3 to 5

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#82 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Oh no the piratez!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@silversix_ said:

@wis3boi said:

@silversix_ said:

I was saying this from the first month yet got raped on the pc board.... sigh. FOREVER ALONE.

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

I hate to be cynical, but my laptop auto-logs in to Steam when I do work, do I count as one of the concurrent users?

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Holy crap, Left 4 Dead 2, next-gen!

Make sure your GTX Titan which you paid $1,000 for at the time is running that game on ultra!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@dbtbandit67 said:

Holy crap, Left 4 Dead 2, next-gen!

Make sure your GTX Titan which you paid $1,000 for at the time is running that game on ultra!

I would rather play Quake 3 live than Killzone shadow fall.

would rather play mario kart 64 than forza 5.

you console muppets and your peasant movie games are the ones obsessed with graphics.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#87  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@thegroveman said:

I hate to be cynical, but my laptop auto-logs in to Steam when I do work, do I count as one of the concurrent users?

I believe so. That also goes for console owners who sign in just to watch a movie or BBC iPlayer etc.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@thegroveman said:

I believe so. That also goes for console owners who sign in just to watch a movie or BBC iPlayer etc.

Yeah I was thinking that this would count some PS3 logins too right?

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

How many services can console owners login to? Is it more than one or are you forced to use XLive or PSN only? I think that if PC were the same (heaven forbid) that the numbers would be staggering how many concurrent users there. However since the nature of the beast is to allow for more freedom (and not even use an online service) it's impossible to tell how many are really out there and it makes the numbers look very small.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By silversix_

@MBirdy88 said:

@silversix_ said:

@wis3boi said:

@silversix_ said:

I was saying this from the first month yet got raped on the pc board.... sigh. FOREVER ALONE.

i was saying that on the official forums since month 3 and got perma banned there so lol