CVG: Halo ODST is the greatest game ever made

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222594?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

if you read this you will be shocked that these peopel work for game industry. This is a sad article but makes me hyped for halo odst alot more none the less.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Why would it shock me that people working in the industry have different tastes? Is everyone supposed to just say LoZ:OOT or SMB3 are the greatest games of all time? Not all of us agree with that, and it is not unheard of for people to use hyperbole in discussing a game they are excited for.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
they are allowed to say whatever they want is the best game ever. i will now, and forever say. that Starcraft is the greatest game ever (OoT is a very close second)
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nhh18

Why would it shock me that people working in the industry have different tastes? Is everyone supposed to just say LoZ:OOT or SMB3 are the greatest games of all time? Not all of us agree with that, and it is not unheard of for people to use hyperbole in discussing a game they are excited for.SpruceCaboose
Why is it shocking? Because it is silly talk. It is superlatives that don't make much sense. I mean do you see someone like New York Times walking out of a movie sayign this is the greatest movie you ever see. It is going to win every oscar ever, and is going to make 1 billion dollars. No. It is just unprofessional, and silly.

bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bronxxbombers
Member since 2009 • 2840 Posts
I dont buy it
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
The article doesn't say that.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
Where did they say that? I saw 'Shooter of the Year', but not 'best game ever'? :?
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nhh18

The article doesn't say that.Couth_
It kind of does.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Why would it shock me that people working in the industry have different tastes? Is everyone supposed to just say LoZ:OOT or SMB3 are the greatest games of all time? Not all of us agree with that, and it is not unheard of for people to use hyperbole in discussing a game they are excited for.nhh18

Why is it shocking? Because it is silly talk. It is superlatives that don't make much sense. I mean do you see someone like New York Times walking out of a movie sayign this is the greatest movie you ever see. It is going to win every oscar ever, and is going to make 1 billion dollars. No. It is just unprofessional, and silly.

Many did for The Dark Knight. Now again, what is your point? Do you want a whole critical community that loves the same games? That would defeat the whole point if every critic loved the same things.

I mean, Citizen Kane is widely considered the greatest movie ever, yet many people now hate it (I find it boring at best), and at the time it came out, it was widely panned. My, it seems as if opinions are subjective and can change with time and from person to person, huh?
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

[QUOTE="Couth_"]The article doesn't say that.nhh18

It kind of does.

No it doesn't. They give some really positive impressions, and they are obviously excited about it. (Why wouldn't they be?) But they don't say it's the greatest game ever made. They don't say greatest game this generation. They don't say greatest shooter this generation. They say shooter of the year. Hey it might be greatest shooter of this gen. Might be greatest game of the gen. But they don't say that. Too soon to make that call :P
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

It kind of does.

Where does it "kind-of" say that?
Avatar image for EndorphinMaster
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EndorphinMaster
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

Wow TC, way to make up stuff. :|

TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TPOJ-TPO
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

TC, mind changing the title to something they actually said?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Alright TC, since none of us can see what you're seeing, please take a screen shot of where they call it the greatest game ever made, circle it, and post it.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose
This thread did not turn out pretty at all.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

"Halo 3: ODST really is everything Bungie initially claimed that it wouldn't be. It's part Halo, part Far Cry 2, part Ghost Recon; over twice the size of the game they initially announced at TGS 2009, and stealthy right up to the point you actually pull the trigger."

I like the Ghost Recon part, but Far Cry 2?

TPOJ-TPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TPOJ-TPO
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

"Halo 3: ODST really is everything Bungie initially claimed that it wouldn't be. It's part Halo, part Far Cry 2, part Ghost Recon; over twice the size of the game they initially announced at TGS 2009, and stealthy right up to the point you actually pull the trigger."

mitu123

I think he meant it's kind of open world like Far Cary 2 and tactical as in Ghost Recon.

LiquidShnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LiquidShnake
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts
What a misleading title.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

TPOJ-TPO

I think he meant it's kind of open world like Far Cary 2 and tactical as in Ghost Recon.

True, but I was thinking of the quality of the game.:P

AssassinFonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AssassinFonce
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts
As I've said-- I own the game. The campaign is easily the best of the halos. If it does not get at least a 9.5, I'll cry. Game most worthy of a 10 this gen, although I wouldn't give any gamme one under the rating system GS uses.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

No, just no.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nhh18

Did anyone read the ign gta 4 review? It basically is just as sad as this :(. It didn't say it was ever the greatest game ever made but it was implied by what was written. But it sadi stuff like oscar winning script, etc. cvg said something like this is better than the best of halo combat evolved. It takes the best of tom clancy, and halo. It is longer more epic and greater than halo 3. Did anyone read the same thing I did. The author was infatuated with the game. It is hype but it is ridicolous claim after claim.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nhh18

ODST draws from the best of Halo and, at night, the best of the Tom Clancy games. You'll empty your SMG and pistol quickly enough to need to move onto the Covenant weapons, but even with Plasma Rifles and Spikers blazing in the night it's a cross between Halo and Ghost Recon.

Halo 3: ODST really is everything Bungie initially claimed that it wouldn't be. It's part Halo, part Far Cry 2, part Ghost Recon; over twice the size of the game they initially announced at TGS 2009, and stealthy right up to the point you actually pull the trigger. Bungie's Halo expansion has become the most ambitious and creative Halo title since Combat Evolved - always unique and original in the big city, always intense and exciting in the flashbacks, and always the very best of two very different worlds.

More than any other revelation it's the sheer bloody size of ODST which should take you by surprise. For a year Bungie have touted it as an expansion - a little extra dose of Halo for the fans - but ODST is as big as Halo 3, as epic as Halo 3, and even better than the very best of Halo 3.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpruceCaboose

Did anyone read the ign gta 4 review? It basically is just as sad as this :(. It didn't say it was ever the greatest game ever made but it was implied by what was written. But it sadi stuff like oscar winning script, etc. cvg said something like this is better than the best of halo combat evolved. It takes the best of tom clancy, and halo. It is longer more epic and greater than halo 3. Did anyone read the same thing I did. The author was infatuated with the game. It is hype but it is ridicolous claim after claim.

nhh18
Are you talking about what they really wrote in the review, or what you think you read in it? Your reading skills have been put into a bit of a questionable state after this thread....
boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

I'm sure it will be good, but they are overhyping it. I have it pre-ordered btw.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpruceCaboose

ODST draws from the best of Halo and, at night, the best of the Tom Clancy games. You'll empty your SMG and pistol quickly enough to need to move onto the Covenant weapons, but even with Plasma Rifles and Spikers blazing in the night it's a cross between Halo and Ghost Recon.

Halo 3: ODST really is everything Bungie initially claimed that it wouldn't be. It's part Halo, part Far Cry 2, part Ghost Recon; over twice the size of the game they initially announced at TGS 2009, and stealthy right up to the point you actually pull the trigger. Bungie's Halo expansion has become the most ambitious and creative Halo title since Combat Evolved - always unique and original in the big city, always intense and exciting in the flashbacks, and always the very best of two very different worlds.

More than any other revelation it's the sheer bloody size of ODST which should take you by surprise. For a year Bungie have touted it as an expansion - a little extra dose of Halo for the fans - but ODST is as big as Halo 3, as epic as Halo 3, and even better than the very best of Halo 3.

nhh18

Nothing in that says anything close to what you claim it does. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

*thanks to 10 Things I Hate About You*

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts

It kind of does.

Compelling arguement, i especially liked the part where you showed us where.
nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nhh18

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

SpruceCaboose

Nothing in that says anything close to what you claim it does. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

*thanks to 10 Things I Hate About You*

Sigh :(. I'm pretty sure I and the world consider halo CE one of the top 20 most pinnacle games ever made. And CVG is hyping this up to be a huge step forward to that. If someone says a game is better than zelda oot. Will people say that it is the greatest game ever made? Yes Sheesh.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

nhh18
Great, now if it cost 40 bucks like a good little expansion.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpruceCaboose

Sigh :(. I'm pretty sure I and the world consider halo CE one of the top 20 most pinnacle games ever made. And CVG is hyping this up to be a huge step forward to that. If someone says a game is better than zelda oot. Will people say that it is the greatest game ever made? Yes Sheesh.

nhh18

Now you are attributing your personal thoughts on Halo: CE to not only yourself, but to the world and the authors of the CVG article. Thinking a bit highly of your opinion, are we?

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Sounds like a great game but to me Killzone 2 is the shooter of the year. :)

EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EndorphinMaster

What to make of this? I think TC got a little too defensive when CVG said positive things about ODST, and as we all know, one's interpretation of something can be quite skewed by a pink sheet of fanboy filter.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nhh18

What to make of this? I think TC got a little too defensive when CVG said positive things about ODST, and as we all know, one's interpretation of something can be quite skewed by a pink sheet of fanboy filter.

EndorphinMaster

No. They said it was better than halo ce, all the tom clancy games, etc. That is a 10 game in my book, which I thought this was a 8 game. It doesn't make any sense. And another thing sprucecaboose I don't thinik my opinion is that high. But thanks for getting the first insult in. I'm pretty sure halo ce is considered by many as a top 20 game. Like zelda OOT, or mario 64, or half life 2, or MGS 1. There are many games that are on the top tier echelon in terms fo games. I doubt it is better.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
Wow what a way for a respectable mag to throw out its integrity:?
stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

mitu123

God help us, my heart goes out to this game.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nhh18

Honestly. Did you see a preview like this for modern warfare 2. Modern warfare 2 takes the best of all the cod, all the tom clancy, and all the scripted games. It is absoloutly insane that people are saying that the opinion when they state that it is better than all these games that are considered some of the best games in the last 10 years, and saying it is better than every game is somehwo not meant to be interperated as a pinnacle achievemetn

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#37 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
That's impossible, Final Fantasy IX was already released ages ago!
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EndorphinMaster

Wow what a way for a respectable mag to throw out its integrity:?-Pred-Alien-

People, please read the article. TC's making this whole thing up.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

the actual game looks miles better than Halo 3 in terms of single player. I haven't read up on it's MP but even if it's good, I doubt it's better than Halo 3s MP.

streloksbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 streloksbolt
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

CTRL + F "greatest game ever made"

FAIL

vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

TPOJ-TPO

Pretty much.

After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

Sounds like a great game but to me Killzone 2 is the shooter of the year. :)

RadecSupreme
But you haven't even played the other shooters like ODST, MW2, etc. :?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Excerpts from the article:

"More than any other revelation it's the sheer bloody size of ODST which should take you by surprise. For a year Bungie have touted it as an expansion - a little extra dose of Halo for the fans - but ODST is as big as Halo 3, as epic as Halo 3, and even better than the very best of Halo 3."

"It's neither an expansion nor a mission pack; ODST is a huge game. "It's big," says Curtis. "This is a full-size campaign; certainly nothing less than what we've done in the past."

"ODST draws from the best of Halo and, at night, the best of the Tom Clancy games. You'll empty your SMG and pistol quickly enough to need to move onto the Covenant weapons, but even with Plasma Rifles and Spikers blazing in the night it's a cross between Halo and Ghost Recon."

"(Ghost) Recon
The world in which you'll spend most of the story is almost pitch-black. A light rain leaves the city shrouded by fine mist, and streets are illuminated only by roadsigns and the barely functioning streetlamps. It's a city where you're forever low on ammunition and have to scavenge for every last clip and grenade, but a city you can navigate in shadow, staying stealthy and using the darkness against the Covenant."

"It looks and feels like Halo, but it's Halo with a brain - less Star Wars and more Blade Runner; less X-Men and more Dark Knight."

"When the game is over, it's really only just beginning; on your second run every door is unlocked and the entire city is wide open. Each flashback can be selected and played in isolation, or tackled as part of the open world in any order you please. The city becomes a true sandbox with secret terminals to find and extra missions to tackle, and even some Mongooses to ride and new characters to unlock for the ten Firefight maps."

"Halo 3: ODST really is everything Bungie initially claimed that it wouldn't be. It's part Halo, part Far Cry 2, part Ghost Recon; over twice the size of the game they initially announced at TGS 2009, and stealthy right up to the point you actually pull the trigger. Bungie's Halo expansion has become the most ambitious and creative Halo title since Combat Evolved - always unique and original in the big city, always intense and exciting in the flashbacks, and always the very best of two very different worlds."

-

Holy ****! This game is a dream come true. No matter what the fanboys, doubters, or Halo haters say, Halo 3: ODST is going to be absolutely fantastic!

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

"This is a full-size campaign; certainly nothing less than what we've done in the past."

Now I hope people will stop complaining about the price.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mitu123

"More than any other revelation it's the sheer bloody size of ODST which should take you by surprise. For a year Bungie have touted it as an expansion - a little extra dose of Halo for the fans - but ODST is as big as Halo 3, as epic as Halo 3, and even better than the very best of Halo 3."

"It's neither an expansion nor a mission pack; ODST is a huge game. "It's big," says Curtis. "This is a full-size campaign; certainly nothing less than what we've done in the past."

"ODST draws from the best of Halo and, at night, the best of the Tom Clancy games. You'll empty your SMG and pistol quickly enough to need to move onto the Covenant weapons, but even with Plasma Rifles and Spikers blazing in the night it's a cross between Halo and Ghost Recon."

"(Ghost) Recon
The world in which you'll spend most of the story is almost pitch-black. A light rain leaves the city shrouded by fine mist, and streets are illuminated only by roadsigns and the barely functioning streetlamps. It's a city where you're forever low on ammunition and have to scavenge for every last clip and grenade, but a city you can navigate in shadow, staying stealthy and using the darkness against the Covenant."

"It looks and feels like Halo, but it's Halo with a brain - less Star Wars and more Blade Runner; less X-Men and more Dark Knight."

"When the game is over, it's really only just beginning; on your second run every door is unlocked and the entire city is wide open. Each flashback can be selected and played in isolation, or tackled as part of the open world in any order you please. The city becomes a true sandbox with secret terminals to find and extra missions to tackle, and even some Mongooses to ride and new characters to unlock for the ten Firefight maps."

"Halo 3: ODST really is everything Bungie initially claimed that it wouldn't be. It's part Halo, part Far Cry 2, part Ghost Recon; over twice the size of the game they initially announced at TGS 2009, and stealthy right up to the point you actually pull the trigger. Bungie's Halo expansion has become the most ambitious and creative Halo title since Combat Evolved - always unique and original in the big city, always intense and exciting in the flashbacks, and always the very best of two very different worlds."

-

Holy ****! This game is a dream come true. No matter what the fanboys, doubters, or Halo haters say, Halo 3: ODST is going to be absolutely fantastic!

BioShockOwnz

I'm really excited after reading that.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 organic_machine

"(Ghost) Recon

BioShockOwnz

That quote alone should silence the "OMG TEH REHASH!!1!one!" claims.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

"(Ghost) Recon

organic_machine

Don't you know? It's has Halo in the title, it's automatically a rehash.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mitu123

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

"(Ghost) Recon

organic_machine

I LOVE Ghost Recon, so that's a damn good thing.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 organic_machine

Don't you know? It's has Halo in the title, it's automatically a rehash.

heretrix

How could I forget?! It's also generic too. And plus, Bub and Bob is a much better hero than Master Chief!!!