CVG: First party devs instrumental in making PS4 what it is

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

It seems like Sony is hitting all the right notes. They are trying to bring back that PS2 era domination. :D

Taken from GAF.

CVG: First party devs instrumental in making PS4 what it is

453666-playstation-4-press-conference-10

Quote:Sony's big shtick at its PS4 press event was this impression that the new console is a "super-charged PC" built with developer feedback in mind. Guerrilla reveals to CVG that - as a first-party studio - it was part of the consultation process and had a sizeable input in the final system specs."This was the first time we did this with PlayStation, where you get the entire group of core developers together and consistently give very deep, profound feedback on everything system-related, and that's really awesome," ter Heide said.

"The guys who made it are no longer in an ivory tower in Tokyo, [the development has been] shared with us and not just with us, but with Evolution, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, everybody and together we've built the machine.

"I think because it's so embedded in the work that we do, we who make games on a daily basis, it's a gamer's machine. That's the end result of it. I think Mark Cerny said at one point [in the PS4 conference] that it's a machine by gamers, for gamers, and I really think that's the essence of it. They've made sure that all the focus is just on how we can make the games as good as possible."The console's power is only one aspect of the PlayStation 4 that Guerrilla helped design. The new controller, the DualShock 4, was also the result of a collaboration between Guerrilla and other development teams. Each team told Sony exactly what it was looking for from Sony in terms of the genres they were most familiar with working on.

Evolution Studios offered feedback on the motion control aspects with racing games in mind, while Guerrilla asked for the controller to be more suited to FPS gaming. "It's a great controller for an FPS," ter Heide says.

"We've been having these discussions about putting a headset jack in there because everybody should be able to go online and have a chat, and they put it in there and it's awesome. It sounds like a lot of really simple features that we've put in there but they make all the difference because it's in one comprehensive package."For example, there are little tweaks to the indentation on the sticks, where you have your thumbs on them, we've slightly raised them so there's a little bit more precision. They're slight changes but they make a huge difference."

Hulst agrees: "I think it's a big step forward from what we have [on PS3]. It feels incredibly accurate, in your hands it feels solid, it feels really high quality with the materials that have been used, it feels like you're in control and particularly with that feeling of being a Shadow Marshal, this big hero guy with extra capabilities, it's very suitable. And like we said earlier, we've been feeding back on what it should be for so long that I think we have what we wanted to have. It's very suitable for Killzone."

While talking to the two, one thing is clear - Sony has turned to Guerrilla to be a key software provider for both home console and handheld, as well as its new approach to peer-developed hardware.

"The number of hours of feedback we've given on [the controller] to get it exactly to what we want - with the outward curving triggers, the indentations - and from all these different studios doing the same thing, it's a lot of detailed stuff, making games but also making hardware for games," Hulst says.

"And that's great, because since we've worked on it so long and given feedback on it, that's the reason we're quite confident today as a group of developers, because we know where it was and the path it's taken so we know that once it's in the hands of users, of people who love core gaming experiences, that it'll work well."

Source

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

At least one other company gets it. Nintendo makes consoles only for themselves and MS always had a good setup.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I hope Sony keep at it.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Oh my god I want that controller in my hands so badly! So f*cking sexy.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

PS4 seems to be shaping up to be very awesome

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Oh my god I want that controller in my hands so badly! So f*cking sexy.SaltyMeatballs

always thought you were an XBRO? 

It is a sexy controller thouhg :P

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Oh my god I want that controller in my hands so badly! So f*cking sexy.SaltyMeatballs

This.

I need it in my hands.

olart4618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 olart4618
Member since 2010 • 478 Posts

I hope that sony delivers all the things is saying, not bulls%$ as always.  I want a sony console in this generation

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol @ sony listening , we will see in time,   dont trust their word they said the same thing about psvita when it came out ill wait til i get the finished product in my hands before getting hyped for it 

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Sony seems to be making all the right decisions for a good next gen.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

I love the direction Sony is going this direction.

-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

This is awesome, PS4 just keeps sounded better and better, can't wait for E3!

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

So 2 sequels to AA game series, 2 very bad looking motion control games, 1 kiddie game, and a team racing game is Sony first party at full force? No wonder the PS3 is behind the 360 is game library according to critic scores.

stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

I love the new playstation controllers its sexy..I want it in blue and white

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

So 2 sequels to AA game series, 2 very bad looking motion control games, 1 kiddie game, and a team racing game is Sony first party at full force? No wonder the PS3 is behind the 360 is game library according to critic scores.

CanYouDiglt

Hey look it's canyoudigsh1t with his same tired argument.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

heeweesRus

Hey look it's canyoudigsh1t with his same tired argument.

Hey look it is someone with his alt account talking trash. Hey get your main account , oh wait nevermind it is probably about to be banned so you are using you alt account.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

CanYouDiglt
Dat damage control.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

bleehum
Dat damage control.

Dat not able to argue with what I said.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

CanYouDiglt

Dat damage control.

Dat reading comprehension.

"[the development has been] shared with us and not just with us, but with Evolution,Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, everybody and together we've built the machine."

You mad Sony is making a console that is going to be great?

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="bleehum"] Dat damage control. bleehum

Dat reading comprehension. "[the development has been] shared with us and not just with us, but with Evolution, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, everybody and together we've built the machine." You mad Sony is making a console that is going to be great?

Why would I be mad? If it was great I would get it but right now it is nothing special at all. Also you are kidding yourself if you think it is going to get much better. Did you think with the 2 hour reveal of the PS4 they held back all the big news?
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Dat not able to argue with what I said.CanYouDiglt
Dat reading comprehension. "[the development has been] shared with us and not just with us, but with Evolution, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, everybody and together we've built the machine." You mad Sony is making a console that is going to be great?

Why would I be mad? If it was great I would get it but right now it is nothing special at all. Also you are kidding yourself if you think it is going to get much better. Did you think with the 2 hour reveal of the PS4 they held back all the big news?

I'm sure you'll be one of the first to wank it even if MS's reveal is terrible.  You don't think Sony will have more for E3? :lol:

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="bleehum"] Dat reading comprehension. "[the development has been] shared with us and not just with us, but with Evolution, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, everybody and together we've built the machine." You mad Sony is making a console that is going to be great?

I'm sure you'll be one of the first to wank it even if MS's reveal is terrible.

Do not change the subject. Do you think the games shown for the PS4 were amazing? Also do you honestly think Sony held back from their first reveal of the PS4 even though that is the first impression of the PS4?
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Why would I be mad? If it was great I would get it but right now it is nothing special at all. Also you are kidding yourself if you think it is going to get much better. Did you think with the 2 hour reveal of the PS4 they held back all the big news?CanYouDiglt

Do not change the subject. Do you think the games shown for the PS4 were amazing? Also do you honestly think Sony held back from their first reveal of the PS4 even though that is the first impression of the PS4?

First sentence is relevant to your bolded statement.  Games amazing?  Couldn't say, they were barely reveals.  Knack looked interesting, and Killzone as a series is ok.  It's not about the games, though (yet). It's the fact that Sony is taking their head from their *** it seems with developing the console.  They'll have more for E3, if you don't think that, then I don't know what to tell you.  You really think they'd leave their E3 conference, one of the biggest moments of the year for gaming, with nothing new?

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="bleehum"] I'm sure you'll be one of the first to wank it even if MS's reveal is terrible.bleehum

First sentence is relevant to your bolded statement.  Games amazing?  Couldn't say, they were barely reveals.  Knack looked interesting, and Killzone as a series is ok.  It's not about the games, though. It's the fact that Sony is taking their head from their *** it seems with developing the console.  They'll have more for E3, if you don't think that, then I don't know what to tell you.  You really think they'd leave their E3 conference, one of the biggest moments of the year for gaming, with nothing new?

Your post kinda shows you think so far the game list for PS4 is lackluster. Killzone is ok and the kiddie game Knack looks interesting lol. Also from a business perspective they will want to drop the biggest guns they have at the first reveal to build as much interest as possible and not wait months later. A company will not want a more lackluster reveal. E3 will not be some huge game reveals but instead more about motion controls since after all there is 3 different types involves with the PS4 and also a lot about the Vita to try and boost sales.
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Pack it up Microsoft, Nintendo, lems, and sheep.
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Why would I be mad? If it was great I would get it but right now it is nothing special at all. Also you are kidding yourself if you think it is going to get much better. Did you think with the 2 hour reveal of the PS4 they held back all the big news?CanYouDiglt

They didn't even show the console you fool, of course they're holding a lot of information and games back. It was a teasing taste of things to come.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Do not change the subject. Do you think the games shown for the PS4 were amazing? Also do you honestly think Sony held back from their first reveal of the PS4 even though that is the first impression of the PS4?CanYouDiglt

First sentence is relevant to your bolded statement.  Games amazing?  Couldn't say, they were barely reveals.  Knack looked interesting, and Killzone as a series is ok.  It's not about the games, though. It's the fact that Sony is taking their head from their *** it seems with developing the console.  They'll have more for E3, if you don't think that, then I don't know what to tell you.  You really think they'd leave their E3 conference, one of the biggest moments of the year for gaming, with nothing new?

Your post kinda shows you think so far the game list for PS4 is lackluster. Killzone is ok and the kiddie game Knack looks interesting lol. Also from a business perspective they will want to drop the biggest guns they have at the first reveal to build as much interest as possible and not wait months later. A company will not want a more lackluster reveal. E3 will not be some huge game reveals but instead more about motion controls since after all there is 3 different types involves with the PS4 and also a lot about the Vita to try and boost sales.

Well no crap, that is basically what I was saying. The games will eventually come, it's how the console itself looks to be shaping up that's exciting. I think they'll be a few more games shown, at the very least more details of games already shown.  The launch being holiday 2013 is another reason they should have more games shown.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Oh my god I want that controller in my hands so badly! So f*cking sexy.Obviously_Right

This.

I need it in my hands.

Same here it just looks so fvcking comfortable.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

CanYouDiglt

there was no need for that

grow up

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Doubt any of the developers were asking for a new eye-toy or a touchpad on the controller, but aside from that sounds like Sony were doing all the right things in the development of the PS4.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I see a pattern here, so the development of the Hardware is shifting from the guys at Sony to the developers, gone are the days when developers had to learn the architecture of the hardware and structure their games for it, now its going the other way around, the hardware guys are making it around what the software guys want

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

Sweenix

there was no need for that

grow up

He's just mad that Sony actually has a first party...MS on the other hand..... Im gonna laugh when the nextbox is announced and its launch title is Kinectimals
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
just back up your bags lems/sheep... this is sony territory now.
mike_on_mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 mike_on_mic
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts
Well key to that is the fact that system architect is a game developer. The Cell powerful, and we are seeing it more and more now with games on the PS3 consistently being overtaking their 360 rivals but the difficulty of the learning curve did give the 360 the edge in the early days.