Crysis is 10 years old, graphics don't develop since then

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

So this fall it will be 10 years since Crysis shocked us with its graphcis and forced us all to go buy a new highend GPU.

It was a real milestone in gaming graphics, but it also sort of marked the end of rapid development in gaming graphics, things didnt get much better since then. I thought it would be interesting to look at how graphics developed over the period of 10 years for last 30 years by presenting a screenshot of the game that had arguably the best graphics in each given year and comparing them to one another. So lets begin.

Best graphics of 1987 (2D sprites);

1997 (the dawn of 3D era);

2007 (the pinnacle of 3D);

2017 (not that much better at all);

Maybe 2027, we will be in VR?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Yes, they have.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlbecekBobecek

@freedomfreak said:

Yes, they have.

Nope.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

Crysis screenshot thread !!!

Take that console gamers!

Take that Uncharted 3 !!!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

Crysis was future-proofed. It was literally a game designed for future technology.

But yea, it's basically a graphical masterpiece with a legend forever imprinted on the landscape.

Too bad Crytek shat on it.

jorzorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 jorzorz
Member since 2017 • 114 Posts

crysis was a real let down for me. I built my first pc to play crysis thinking it would be the most amazing game ever due to the hype hermits gave it. I found it to be rather meh after the wow pretty graphics wore thin.

SheepKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SheepKilla
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

This jungle sight-seeing simulator had nothing but graphics going for it. I don't even need to have played it to know it's a disaster of a game. Sad how Hermits tried to trick people into thinking it was any good.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlbecekBobecek

I actually enjoyed the original Crysis. Suprisingly good AI combined with the invisibility suit option made it fun to play it like a stealth game and the story was decent. Gameplay fell apart a bit after the aliens attacked, but it was certainly one of the better FPS games I played.

SheepKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SheepKilla

@BlbecekBobecek said:

I actually enjoyed the original Crysis. Suprisingly good AI combined with the invisibility suit option made it fun to play it like a stealth game and the story was decent. Gameplay fell apart a bit after the aliens attacked, but it was certainly one of the better FPS games I played.

right, keep telling yourself that. Stockholm syndrome for wasting $5,000 on Crysis and a gaming PC that can run it.

If that was really the case, why wouldn't Hermits be posting about Crysis's gameplay instead of pictures all day? I literally don't even know what the game is about or anything about the weapons, gameplay, etc, but I know everything about how it looks and the setting. Very sad that they still try to pull the wool over everyone's eyes

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24846 Posts

LOL Crysis graphics was surpassed in 2010 when Metro 2033 released. then last light and redux version become best of graphics king.

now New Metro looks like up and coming graphic king.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

Was the high spec requirements because of the graphics or because of Cry Engine 2 though?

Because with Cry Engine 3, they were able to get Crysis running on 7th gen consoles. They cited efficiency of the newer engine as a reason.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

@SheepKilla said:

This jungle sight-seeing simulator had nothing but graphics going for it. I don't even need to have played it to know it's a disaster of a game. Sad how Hermits tried to trick people into thinking it was any good.

Crysis is better than any hentai simulator you've played.

Alas, your PS4 can't even run this old game without compromises

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yes, the game and Warhead were quite good too despite the hate they got from jelly console gamers that hadnt played them. The later released port for consoles was nowhere near the PC version despite the lies that the consolites wanted so desperately to believe.

Crysis was definitely going somewhere, its a real shame they had to ruin it with Crysis 2.

SheepKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SheepKilla

@koko-goal said:
@SheepKilla said:

Crysis is better than any hentai simulator you've played.

Alas, your PS4 can't even run this old game without compromises

...so this is what Hermits have come to? assertions without anything to back it up? Depressing.

And Sony would probably never allow that lousy garbage on their systems even if Crytek tried (as they have requested in the past), due to quality control and brand image reasons. Maybe they should ask Micro$oft instead and port it over with half the guns as Xbox Marketplace DLCs.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@SheepKilla said:

Bah, go with the mainstream, never form your own opinion :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k  Online

@BlbecekBobecek said:

Yeah the original Crysis and Warhead are great games, and truly unique sandbox FPS experiences.

I must've finished the original Crysis 5 times by now and each and every time I was taking new paths and trying new things, and the game allows you to do that.

@ghosts4ever said:

LOL Crysis graphics was surpassed in 2010 when Metro 2033 released.

Not really though.

Crysis has amazing looking environments, but inside of buildings look crap.

Metro 2033 has amazing looking places inside the metro, but outsides look really bad.

Metro does have some amazing lighting and atmospehre.

But honestly, there is no reason to replay the original Metro when redux is just such a better looking game, it makes the outside environments look actually good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Was the high spec requirements because of the graphics or because of Cry Engine 2 though?

Because with Cry Engine 3, they were able to get Crysis running on 7th gen consoles. They cited efficiency of the newer engine as a reason.

Sure, they got it running...

But Crysis on consoles (Cry Engine 3) was blue, had a jungle with barely any foliage and missed levels from the original game.

Every PC gamer that played the original Crysis (and/or warhead) and played Crysis 2 after that, could see very clearly what sacrifices were made and what was dropped in order to get the crysis franchise running on last gen consoles.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Moore's law is over

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

things didnt get much better since then

graphics don't develop since then

This is factually wrong. The fact you used Destiny 2 instead, say, Battlefront or Battlefield 1 shows how bias you are

@jorzorz said:

crysis was a real let down for me. I built my first pc to play crysis thinking it would be the most amazing game ever due to the hype hermits gave it. I found it to be rather meh after the wow pretty graphics wore thin.

Also this. Such an overrated game... even at the time of its release

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Sure, they got it running...

But Crysis on consoles (Cry Engine 3) was blue, had a jungle with barely any foliage and missed levels from the original game.

Every PC gamer that played the original Crysis (and/or warhead) and played Crysis 2 after that, could see very clearly what sacrifices were made and what was dropped in order to get the crysis franchise running on last gen consoles.

That is true, but my point was about what they could get it running on. If they can get the game running on an Xbox 360, Crysis on Cry Engine 3, would have allowed weaker hardware to do more with the PC.

Also, yes it was missing that flying level in particular. But apparently that was more to do with feedback, no one really liked it, it was frustrating from what I hear.

Regarding the sequels, I think that was more to do with the direction they wanted to go in for consoles. It's basically Crysis influenced by Halo. I have always wanted Crytek to pursue both the open world and linear Crysis directions, I enjoyed them all very much. Ironically, I played Crysis on the Xbox 360 and Crysis 2 and 3 on the PC :-P. But I'm sure they're all better on the PC.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlbecekBobecek

@Vatusus said:

things didnt get much better since then

graphics don't develop since then

This is factually wrong. The fact you used Destiny 2 instead, say, Battlefront or Battlefield 1 shows how bias you are

The fact that I need to be picky about what screenshot I post to demonstrate advance in graphics over the last 10 years actually proves my point.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:

That is true, but my point was about what they could get it running on. If they can get the game running on an Xbox 360, Crysis on Cry Engine 3, would have allowed weaker hardware to do more with the PC.

Also, yes it was missing that flying level in particular. But apparently that was more to do with feedback, no one really liked it, it was frustrating from what I hear.

Regarding the sequels, I think that was more to do with the direction they wanted to go in for consoles. It's basically Crysis influenced by Halo. I have always wanted Crytek to pursue both the open world and linear Crysis directions, I enjoyed them all very much. Ironically, I played Crysis on the Xbox 360 and Crysis 2 and 3 on the PC :-P. But I'm sure they're all better on the PC.

Sure, Cryengine 3 was a beast !

I mean Crysis 2&3 may be a bit worse in the gameplay departement, their graphics however blew me away.

They are last gen games by now, but they still look great to me.

Crytek always got the most out of their engine, as other Cryengine games were always less optimized or didn't look that great. Evolve was one of the few exceptions.

Since you never got to experience Crysis 1 on PC... What were your thoughts about the console version going in fresh ? Did you like the game ?

And be sure to play Crysis Warhead too, it's the only one not on consoles and can surely be picked up for the price of a pint on steam sales :)

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

The games were boring as **** to play. And to be honest, I was never impressed by the graphics even 10 years ago. It's highly overrated on every department.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

They have developed, just not as nearly as much as Crysis did at it's time, nice amount of jelly in this thread.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

It did look amazing but I don't understand the praise Crysis gets as a game. It had terrible pacing, an awful final third and massively overrated AI, which mostly consisted of every enemy in the immediate area surrounding you once they'd heard shots or you'd been spotted.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Yawn...this site is like a broken record. Yes Crysis looked great back in the day and ran like complete dog shit also even on monster rigs. Do we really need a thread like this every few months?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@vfighter: Every few months? It's been twice today. Haha. :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

At the time and as far as gaming itself.... Halo 3 stomped the snot outta poor Crysis and that's what really matters.

Graphically, Forza Motorsports 7 wet track on Mighty X1X Monsterbox makes Crysis look PS2'ish. lolol :P

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter

@jumpaction: Damn I missed the other tread luckly lol.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@SheepKilla said:

Christ... "I didn't play it, but I know it sucked, I JUST KNOW IT!!!".

If you HAD actually played it, you'd know there IS more to it than pretty graphics and it was pretty innovative for its time. But of course you haven't. You're even too lazy to look up gameplay videos, which there are thousands of, to see it was more of a sandbox shooting gallery than "jungle sight-seeing simulator". But it's just easier to ride the hate train and say it was a glorified tech demo, isn't it? Pathetic.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34468 Posts

Graphics have developed, but slower. Or I don't know if slower, I'm not a programmer, but it doesn't show as fast a progress compared to back then. Console gamers hyping and praising their crappy console graphics might have something to do with it. Developers don't have to do much with the graphics in order to impress anymore. Just use the latest Epic engine and you're good to go. Bring it down to 30 fps so console owners can get some kind of eye candy, they don't care about fps anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@vfighter: It is titled 'Diminishing Returns'. A bit like how discussion on Gamespot has diminishing returns now too... :(

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

He just THINKS graphics haven't developed, because he's comparing Crysis on PC 10 years ago vs Consoles today LOL.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlbecekBobecek

@sts106mat said:

seeing a @BlbecekBobecek post is like being back in 2007.

IKR, once a cow, always a cow :-D

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter

@jumpaction: Lol, so true and so sad.

Avatar image for kangarbloodyroo
kangarbloodyroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kangarbloodyroo
Member since 2017 • 113 Posts

Holy shit, destiny 2 looks goddam amazing.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@themajormayor said:

Moore's law is over

Basically the reason.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

If you actually go back and play Crysis, they most certainly have. However, it's more and more diminishing returns at this point.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10597 Posts

I find it funny that the TC used a Destiny 2 screenshot to try to equate that Destiny 2 visuals is one of the best looking games on current gen. Besides, BF1 completely destroy this entire thread seeing that not only it looks just as good (if not better) as Crysis, but also obliterate it technically also.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Graphics have improved alot in the last 10 years, especially on consoles. 1080p became the minimum acceptable, pop up and screen tearing are almost non existant, effects like particles and real time reflextions are present in most games, animations are much better, textures have higher res, and now we have lots of games running at 60fps.On the top of everything, we got to a point where there's no bad looking games anymore.

Diminishing returns is the reason some untrained eyes can not see the improvements.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@killered3 said:

The games were boring as **** to play. And to be honest, I was never impressed by the graphics even 10 years ago. It's highly overrated on every department.

The graphics were impressive and that's factual. Whether you were impressed or not is irrelevant.

Game was good. Nothing more. It wasn't ZOMG great but it was certainly better than the majority of the crappy FPS games there were at the time.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

play crysis without mods its not that impressive compared to today and the A.I was awful wtf are you guys talking about. you can be hidden invisable mode mode and the enemy knew exactly where you were

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@sts106mat said:

seeing a @BlbecekBobecek post is like being back in 2007.

ikr! Fond memories of times before MS dropped core in 2009.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R4gn4r0k  Online

@kemar7856 said:

play crysis without mods its not that impressive compared to today and the A.I was awful wtf are you guys talking about. you can be hidden invisable mode mode and the enemy knew exactly where you were

Honestly, I played crysis a few years back and it still looks really good (check my screenshots in this thread, they are from that last playthrough)

All I really installed was an HD foliage mod and an HD suit mod which just ups the resolution on some textures, and makes the foliage less aliased...

Nothing really that special, just makes the game look a bit less aged.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Graphics have certainly improved. Crysis doesn't even have a deferred renderer which means it only can have like 5-10 dynamic lights. Crysis 2 has better graphics on that merit alone.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

Well as I said it many times, Crysis was the soul reason why I got into PC gaming in the first place when I build my first ever rig just to play Crysis and I personally like to say thank you Crytek for the amazing experience. When you make a game look as good as Crysis 1, you don't need a remaster. It's still visually on par with current-gen games.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

Crysis games were ahead of their time

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I realize most games have their warts and all. But, these are pretty bad....even in 2007.