Crysis 3 launched this week 4 years ago. Crytek now in shambles. What went wrong and what they need to do to fix it?

• 58 results
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Poll Crysis 3 launched this week 4 years ago. Crytek now in shambles. What went wrong and what they need to do to fix it? (64 votes)

1. Go back to their roots, focus on PC Gaming and PC Centric development. 58%
2. Close down their other studios. 11%
3. Go back to PC Centric Development, shut down all their other studios and leave with only one or two studios. 19%
4. Other. 13%

Ahh Crytek the creators of the Crysis which was the poster boy of PC Gaming and PC Graphics is now no where near the level they were 5, even 4 years ago. This week marks 4 years since their last AAA title Crysis 3 hit the market. The only games they have released over the last couple of years was Ryse: Son of Rome which wasn’t that great and a couple of forgettable VR Titles like the latest The Climb and Robinson: The Journey. It’s been 4 years and no major AAA Ttile. What’s even worse they are losing talent and according GS Article haven’t even payed their current employees for 6 months which is ridiculous. One of their top graphics guys Tiago Sousa who was the Lead R&D Graphics Engineer at Crytek left to work at ID (coincidence that Doom looks so good). Which begs the question. What went wrong? Me personally, thinks they abandoned PC Gamers and PC Centric development. When Far Cry came out on the PC it pushed PC technology. One of the First Games to use Pixel Shader 3.0 and it’s use of HDR. I remember I couldn’t run Far Cry with HDR on my GeForce 4 64MB DDR but once I switched to GeForce 7600GT which supported HDR and Pixel Shader 3.0 you could see the instant difference with the water and the HDR the game looked significantly better. With Crysis they even raised the bar even more. Although, I couldn’t run the game maxed out I still pre-ordered it and when I did build a new rig the year after Crysis came out I was in awe of it’s graphics on my HD 4870. I remember so much hype in the PC Gaming Community with the release of Crysis, even the $600 GeForce 8800 GTX Ultra couldn’t max out Crysis. I remember drooling over screenshots of the game prior to the games release and where people were trying to extract every last juice out of their PC so they could play Crysis at the best possible settings. There was a lot of excitement of PC Gaming forums about people’s hardware and trying to max out Crysis (great times). With Crysis Warhead which was another PC Centric game, the game was an excellent follow up to Crysis. I think the problem started with Crysis 2 which they dumbed it down and focused on Console Development first instead of PC first. Although, the game got better looking as it progressed it nowhere set the bar like the original Crysis and it now had competition from DICE with BF3 with the new Frostbite Engine which looked as good if not better then Crysis 2. By the time Crysis 3 came out, although the graphics were better the game was never as good as it’s predecessor. It turned into another corridor type shooter, I still have the game just didn’t find it interesting enough to finish it which says a lot about how far it fell coming from a guy who pre-ordered the original Crysis.

Also, add to the fact that they went a spree of opening studios in USA, UK, Turkey, Ukraine and even some staff in South Korea and adding all that financial burden didn’t help. I am like what where they thinking opening up all those studios? So, in my opinon it was a mix of abandoning PC Gamers and pushing PC Graphics and PC Centric development combined with the fact that they opened up too many studios without the financial resources to back it up is what is causing their current predicament. Seriously, they are now focusing on VR Games? Don’t they realize that it’s a niche market and they aren’t going to enough funds generated to pay off all the costs of their studios.

What they need to do now is go back to their roots and only have one or two studios instead of like half a dozen all over the world and focusing on making another hit Crysis title that is NOT console centric but PC Focused and then dumb that game down for the consoles. And for those who say PC Focus development will not sell need I remind you Crysis and Crysis Warhed sold Millions and was enough to continue to develop more PC Centric games. It’s just that they decided to get greedy and focused less on quality and console centric development and making stupid business decisions like opening up too many studios, acquiring gaming assessts which they can’t afford or use and selling them (Homefront anyone) is what caused their current financial issues.

So, what do you guys got to say?

• 
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Let em die. They're in control of their own destiny.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#3  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Ha! I was going to add that as an option something like close down all their studios including the main one in Frankfurt (the one that made Far Cry, Crysis) and start over. But I think that would have been too harsh.

Funny thing is if you look at other successful studios like ID Software, they didn't go on a shopping spree and started opening up half a dozen ID branches all over the world despite the success of Doom series and Quake series. Same thing with Bungie with their successful Halo series or Epic Games with Unreal and Gears of War series. What were they thinking? That having 2 - 3 hit games now means a green light to open up half a dozen studios and try to expand like crazy. You don't even see Valve and Blizzard doing that despite being hugely successful. They only have the same studios as when they originally started.

They lost a tremendous amount of focus trying to expand too fast. Not even able to pay your employees for 6 months? WTF?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

The industry is full of snakes so it's always nice to see one get stood on.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto

I've seen big reputable developers/publishers (eg Microprose, Sierra) come and go. The tears dried up years ago. ;)

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Want to play Crisis 3 as it looks more fun than 2 which was disappointing but I have no PS3 now.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@Xtasy26: What went wrong? They partnered with AMD and had the gaming evolved intro. LOL

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

That dev is unable to create good games. Nothing's lost.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@silversix_: This. They haven't made a good game in 10 years.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Crytek is dead & gone. Simple as that. Crysis 3 was the last straw for them. Crysis 3 has it's flaws but In the end, it was just a shooter on rails without any really distinguishing features other than the fact that it looks fantastic. I think it is a somewhat of a good game, just not remarkable & nothing to write home about. Played Crysis 3 through EA Origin.

@Zensword said:

Want to play Crisis 3 as it looks more fun than 2 which was disappointing but I have no PS3 now.

Your really not missing much. Feels like it was made for console play. Nowhere close to the level of Crysis 1. It was average for Xbox standards (not for PS3) and poor for PC standards.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Close their many studios...& make a good game?..

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

What went wrong ? Crysis 3: pretty looking but shit game.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Not a single f$&% given. The only game I liked from them was Crysis Warhead. I found the first Crysis game itself to be boring.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

crysis 1 was a great game and crysis 2 and 3 tried to be call of duty with fancy graphics.

their latest "game", ryse, sums up how far they've fallen.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

At this point they're beyond fixing. I think they actually just got the shit end of the stick. They did an excellent job with Crysis 2 but were lambasted for it by the lamenting PC master race. Never did get to play Crysis 3 but would be nice to try as I liked the 2nd game. Ryse too was actually pretty good, despite all the hate for it I just think it got hated on for being an Xbox One launch exclusive. Though, MS offered to pay for a sequel on condition they retain the IP, Crytek refused because they wanted to retain an asset they could later auction off after going through bankruptcy as they'll likely do at some point if they haven't already. But they're done pretty much as developers, they've essentially minimized themselves to provide nothing more than CryEngine support, which itself is pretty dead end as they've always been trying to push their engine and failing to make it big, and that's definitely not going to happen without them making games to showcase it to developers.

Their worse decisions I'd say was their acquisition of Free Radical to work on Homefront: The Revolution. Here you have a studio that couldn't put out Battlefront 3, who made Haze, who squandered Disney's money to put out that air-ball of a Halo Killer and didn't have the money to finish the other game. Why would Crytek see them as an asset worth acquiring?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Well the Crysis series sucked. I'll tell you what happened in no particular order. They spent millions on the Cryengine 2.0 engine alone and with Crysis 1 reported that they only broke even. Crysis Wars (forgot about that didn't you?) failed and cost them a fair bit to create. Crysis Warhead probably didn't make it's own money back but who knows. They probably lost money on the port for the PS3 version of Crysis 1 considering it was a snooze release and no retailer seemed to offer it for sale that I know of, hardly anyone even knew it existed. Then they invested more millions into Cryening 3, 4 and 5. They also have not sold that many licenses for the engine especially compared to say Epic's Unreal engine series. Continuing with Crysis 2 and 3 which likely didn't make up for everything else lost.

Then they bought Homefront IP which horribly failed. I think they bought a couple other licenses too. Robinson Journey.....failed. And you can tell they spent a ton of money making that game too. They opened up several large studio's and basically what's going on is that they had to close them after Robinson's failure. Crtyek's main headquarters is still going. They reported that they are still going to continue working on games.

I think Crytek will be fine, they just had to shrink back to roots to resolve money issues.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Crysis fuggin sucked, get over it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Honestly I love the Crysis games, I think they are amazing. Crysis is obviously the best one (Warhead might actually be better), and one of the best shooters to have come out ever. Crysis 2 is the worst in the series, but I like where they went with the story to be honest. Crysis 3 was pretty cool and wrapped it up nicely.

What went wrong, though?

Crytek. Crytek went wrong. Their eyes were bigger than their stomach, they got greedy, they thought they could play in the "AAA" big leagues and they were an "A" (is that a thing?) at best. They made too many subsidiaries and too many projects, tried to do too many new things and they abandoned their bread and butter (PC) for what they thought were greener pastures (console) because the grass is always greener (but really, it rarely is) on the other side. Then they realized their mistake and made some cheap shit free-to-play/pay-to-win nonsense to make some quick cash, but it was bullshit and no fun and that failed.

What happened? They made Ryse, the flagship Xbox One game when the console was released, and it was a terrible game.

And now they're bankrupt or close to it.

TL;DR: everything but Far Cry and Crysis went wrong

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

@silversix_ said:

That dev is unable to create good games. Nothing's lost.

They were able to make great games at one time, now they can't. I'd call that a huge loss.

They were simple, great developers; both technically talented, and able to design great levels, gameplay, etc.. Then they thought they could be gods and ruined it all. It's a freaking tragedy is what it is.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@pimphand_gamer:

Actually Crysis 1 sold over one million copies mark by Feb of 2008 at full retail price. Crysis development cost was 22 million.

In August of 2008

""CEO and President of game developer Crytek said Crysis cost 15 million Euros (22 million USD) to develop during a panel about the future of gaming graphics at the Games Convention Developers Conference in Leipzig, Germany. Yet despite the cost, Yerli maintained the game was profitable, adding, "if it wasn't profitable I wouldn't be able to stand here.""

Crysis 2 and 3 is what made them broke even, Crysis 2 not sure on cost but Crysis 3 cost to develop was 66 million.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They held Timesplitters hostage and that asshole Cevat Yerli teased us with a HD remake of the trilogy if he could get enough petition signatures (and demanded a ridiculously high number, like 300K). Link

Fvck 'em.

And fvck Gamespot for that stupid fucking filter on fvck.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto

Although I may not care about Crytek's ultimate fate, I also don't have any vindictiveness because they tried to expand to other platforms. That's what any company would do. They just didn't go about it the right way.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Fun fact.

One of the original designers of the CryEngine made a free, open-source, Quake-clone called Cube before he joined Crytek. It has very low hardware requirements, fast movement speed, and a high frame rate. I played the crap out of that game in high school, and the community has kept it alive for over a decade now.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

but PC gamers love CDPR who are in same line as Cryetek after abondon PC and go to console route.

I predict crytek will shut down this year

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Either go back to PC or shut down all studios.

ribhu672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ribhu672
Member since 2014 • 173 Posts

And to think these were the guys who gave us far cry 1 and crysis 1.*sigh* They're gone now. Nothing can be done about it now. They tried to copy COD when instead they should have followed what made them successful in the first place.

ribhu672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ribhu672
Member since 2014 • 173 Posts

@ghosts4ever: with the Witcher 3 released and seeing as console version sold better than PC version I can see the future where cdpr too will shift to console market and just release PC ports in the future. But I can be wrong. For now I trust cdpr to not screw with their original market base, the PC to favour the console market.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Go back to make a good game. I know they're capable, making Crysis and Warhead probably wasn't just luck. Making Crysis 2 and 3 suck balls was planned by them. They thought dumbing down their games so they could work on consoles and release them there would make them much more money, but it just made the fans give them the finger and not buy the games. Crytek deserves all the shit they get and hopefully this is a lesson learnt.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Crysis and Warhead were great, then it all went to hell.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Crytek needs to stop pissing about and focus on Crysis games.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Crysis 3 cost to develop was 66 million.

What did they spent it all? hookers and new cars? seriously Crysis 3 didn't bring anything new from 2nd game, it was again a console game with maybe better multiplayer?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

things started to smell off when they released a sequel to crysis that had little to nothing to do with the first game(s). that was the first clue that whomever was steering the ship might be slightly drunk at the wheel. crysis 3 confirmed the captain had been drinking and they'd set course for the iceberg. several failed business ventures and flopping games later was them hitting the iceberg. now they're just gaming flotsam whose only real hope of getting back into the big time is some kind soul launching an expensive rescue operation to salvage the wreckage. tragic

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Let them die. Never liked their games. Far Cry was meh, Crysis 1 was just a tech demo, as a game it sucks.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@BassMan said:

@Xtasy26: What went wrong? They partnered with AMD and had the gaming evolved intro. LOL

Rapid expansion wasn't AMD's fault.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

Wow, it's crazy that game is already 4 years old.

Still an amazing looking piece of tech. Though nowhere as good as Crysis 1 and warhead, it was miles better than Crysis 2.

What can they do to fix Crytek ? I think they've tried everything now, exhausted every option. They can no longer be redeemed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

but PC gamers love CDPR who are in same line as Cryetek after abondon PC and go to console route.

An unfortunate truth.

Great hypocrite in action. Very great.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

An unfortunate truth.

the funny thing is. Crysis 2 (no matter how dumbed down it was) was better game than witcher 3.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

As a business, they were run into the ground, and as developers they declined severely in quality. It's been 10 years since they released a top game, time to let them go.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Their games are generally boring so let their employees move on to other studios/opportunities and shut'em down.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

An unfortunate truth.

the funny thing is. Crysis 2 (no matter how dumbed down it was) was better game than witcher 3.

Gameplay wise yes, no question.

Story was an incomprehensible mess that wanted to be Halflife 2.

But overall - still better than the Witcher 3.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Honestly I love the Crysis games, I think they are amazing. Crysis is obviously the best one (Warhead might actually be better), and one of the best shooters to have come out ever. Crysis 2 is the worst in the series, but I like where they went with the story to be honest. Crysis 3 was pretty cool and wrapped it up nicely.

What went wrong, though?

Crytek. Crytek went wrong. Their eyes were bigger than their stomach, they got greedy, they thought they could play in the "AAA" big leagues and they were an "A" (is that a thing?) at best. They made too many subsidiaries and too many projects, tried to do too many new things and they abandoned their bread and butter (PC) for what they thought were greener pastures (console) because the grass is always greener (but really, it rarely is) on the other side. Then they realized their mistake and made some cheap shit free-to-play/pay-to-win nonsense to make some quick cash, but it was bullshit and no fun and that failed.

What happened? They made Ryse, the flagship Xbox One game when the console was released, and it was a terrible game.

And now they're bankrupt or close to it.

TL;DR: everything but Far Cry and Crysis went wrong

exactly my thoughts. I dont get people saying Crysis 3 was a bad game. Have they even play it ? Sure Crysis 1 and Warhead are better games but the direction Ctysis 3 took was much better than 2 which was a massive disappointment ( sure Crysis 3 wasnt the open world level of Crysis but the levels are quite big and allow some flexibility on the way you play )

As for Crytek they sold 3 million copies of Crysis on pc eventually and still werent happy with sales and thought going console centric will allow them to compete against the COD and Battlefields of this world and started aquiring studios and all that without even releasing a quality product other than Crysis 3 but it was to late for them as their pc fanbase abandoned them and console gamers didnt care as much for Crysis franchise

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrbojangles25

@adamosmaki: exactly.

it's like I opened a restaurant and broke even, which is incredible because restaurants (and game devs) have a huge failure rate.

but no, that wasn't good enough. So not only did I abandon my successful restaurant, I thought I was successful enough to take on McDonalds, Burger King, and Carl's Jr. all at the same time, which is not only A.) an entirely different type of restaurant style I am not familiar with, but B.) an entirely different league of business requiring a lot more success and capital (both literal capital and the reputation kind) than I had.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Holy wall of text Batman!

All the talented people that were once at Crytech are now at C.I.G., they don't have much left at this point.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I would say Ryse is the straw that broke the camel's back.

When you look at that turd, there really is no going back.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

The should take contracts, but deny every single one of them using some gimmic.

One in a while they would make another good game again.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@crashnburn281: Actually when you look at Ryse it is fantastic. It's when you play it the problems start.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Cevat Yerli got too big headed.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Crysis was a benchmark for PC, then it shifted off to consoles to get lackbusting sequels nobody cared about. As nobody played it for the story to start with.

The endless focus on consoles made pc gamers move away from it as it also didn't push tech anymore forwards.

The shitty anti consumer practises with it, nobody cared.

They choose there destiny, and honestly they should be made a example of how to do not do business.

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

What happened, they made a masterpiece in 2007, but it was too heavy for the PCs of it's time and impossible to recreate on console, so they dumbed things down for the console users and made two average games after.
Guess we can blame those weak consoles for destroying what could have been an amazing franchise.