Crysis 2's Ceph...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NanosuitLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NanosuitLover
Member since 2011 • 677 Posts

Does anyone else think the Ceph soldier is like one of the coolest looking aliens ever?

Cephual seduction

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

Not to sound picky but what is the relevance of this thread?

On topic, the aliend does look very cool. :D

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Oh hey! Someone posted a picture of The Conduit 2 in HD! Lookin' good 8)

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

They look awesome in motion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

They looked so much better in the crysis 2 reveal trailerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHLEbuj5x6Q

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humans
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humansLed_poison
Their bodies are the orange/red blobs in the middle of their suits. They're based on on Cephalopods, a group of animals not even remotely similar to humans.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I don´t like those regular ceph very much and fighting them is basically the same as fighting humans,at least in Crysis the aliens posed a diferent challenge.

The bigger guys are ok I guess, but these are kind of rubbish if you ask me.

NanosuitLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NanosuitLover

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humansHoolaHoopMan
Their bodies are the orange/red blobs in the middle of their suits. They're based on on Cephalopods, a group of animals not even remotely similar to humans.

Yeah, they adapted thier exoskeleton "bodies" to look and operate like a human because it works for Earth. And I feel the Crysis aliens were boring floating targets that were waaaaayyy dumber then the C2 Ceph. And the new ceph do pose a different challenge then humans, its just more subtle. C.E.L.L. swarm, surround, and outnumber you, and move quickly enough to occasionally catch you off guard. The Ceph ar tougher and more dominant. You have to hunt down C.E.L.L, but you have to hit n run the Ceph.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
What do the ceph do with the animals they find in new york?
NanosuitLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NanosuitLover

What do the ceph do with the animals they find in new york?ferret-gamer

Beastiality? :P

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DreamCryotank

For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humansLed_poison

They're literally blobs with tentacles... :P

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
ME's reapers are better.
kickass1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kickass1337
Member since 2011 • 149 Posts
meh............ i killed most of them just by grab and melee :P but they r smarter than the humans
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Does anyone else think the Ceph soldier is like one of the coolest looking aliens ever?NanosuitLover

I'm not quite halfway yet in the game. I'm currently at the point where I tangle with CELL operatives once more. But, so far.... the cephs look okay.

This bad boy got into a world of hurt. Unfortunately, I forgot to tag the rest of his buddies (I thought there were only 5).

NightmareCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NightmareCV
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts
I thought they looked kinda cool, but was I the only one who thought of Hunters from Halo anytime they saw a heavy?
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="Led_poison"]For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humansHoolaHoopMan

I might be misinterpreting your sentence, but did you just say cephalopods are aliens? Ceph is short for "Cephaloids", which is the technical name given to Crysis' alien race that is just a lazy play on words.

Personally TC, I found the Ceph to be incredibly uninspired. Oh great, another bi pedal, projectile firing alien race in a video game. Because we don't have a million of those. I don't care if the storyline is "But they adapted their suits to work on Earth". It isn't real, that was a design choice by Crytek and the original aliens in Crysis were far more interesting because they weren't adapted to Earth. It was one of the few times you got to fight something "alien" instead of another human esque looking creature.

They look ok but I'd take a Hunter from Crysis 1 over any of the Ceph in 2.

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DreamCryotank

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Led_poison"]For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humansIndianaPwns39

I might be misinterpreting your sentence, but did you just say cephalopods are aliens? Ceph is short for "Cephaloids", which is the technical name given to Crysis' alien race that is just a lazy play on words.

Personally TC, I found the Ceph to be incredibly uninspired. Oh great, another bi pedal, projectile firing alien race in a video game. Because we don't have a million of those. I don't care if the storyline is "But they adapted their suits to work on Earth". It isn't real, that was a design choice by Crytek and the original aliens in Crysis were far more interesting because they weren't adapted to Earth. It was one of the few times you got to fight something "alien" instead of another human esque looking creature.

Aliens in Crysis 1 sucked. They were matrix rip offs and almost ruined the game. Crysis 2s aliens are actually interesting to fight. And the Pinger much more of a tactical fight than the Hunter from Crysis 1 was. Hunter from Crysis 1 looked kinda cool though. :D And Crytek chose humanoid aliens because they wanted to show off Cryengine 3s advance navigation AI.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Their bodies are the orange/red blobs in the middle of their suits. They're based on on Cephalopods, a group of animals not even remotely similar to humans. DreamCryotank

Aliens in Crysis 1 sucked. They were matrix rip offs and almost ruined the game. Crysis 2s aliens are actually interesting to fight. And the Pinger much more of a tactical fight than the Hunter from Crysis 1 was. Hunter from Crysis 1 looked kinda cool though. :D And Crytek chose humanoid aliens because they wanted to show off Cryengine 3s advance navigation AI.

They were a lot like the Matrix sentinels, I agree. But they could have evolved them and made them interesting instead of just making aliens that we've seen hundreds of times before. Maybe give them 4 legs? I don't care, just something different. And how was the Pinger tactical? You can just shoot it. In fact I had to on Supersoldier because the thing was looking at me 100% of the time and I never had the chance to shoot the weak spot. It just took a few more rockets.

And advanced AI? Yeah it was cool to see them slide and run along the walls during a firefight but if you just stand there they'll continue doing those stunts not realizing you left the room to get a sandwich. Really took me out of the moment. I'd say Crysis 2's AI is some of the worst in recent memory.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
The Thing looks way cooler than any other alien. The ceph look pretty cool though
EddieTheHead84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EddieTheHead84
Member since 2011 • 2131 Posts

I thought the Aliens in Mass Effect 2 were very interesting and well done. The salarians and collectors being particularly good.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Why can't you pick up nano catalyst from some of the dead Ceph sometimes?
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IndianaPwns39

I thought the Aliens in Mass Effect 2 were very interesting and well done. The salarians and collectors being particularly good.

EddieTheHead84

Mass Effect did a great job of creating species that are both typical to science fiction fare and also making some races make you question what you're looking at.

Like the Hanar and Elcor.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
Why can't you pick up nano catalyst from some of the dead Ceph sometimes?Salt_The_Fries
You have to look for the sparklies and jump if they are up in the air.
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]Why can't you pick up nano catalyst from some of the dead Ceph sometimes?DragonfireXZ95
You have to look for the sparklies and jump if they are up in the air.

yep..gotta jump.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
nope i dont..not even close IMO     i would have listed the helghast but they are not really aliens so..
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Led_poison"]For aliens, their body structure seems to be too familiar to humans. Also i liked the aliens in Crysis 1 better, as they have no resemblance to humansIndianaPwns39

They aren't bipeds, that's a suit, sorta like a mech. They are using tech to get an advantage in the environment, why would they want to remain inefficient. It's just logical. The octopus like aliens would be horrendously inefficient for navigating inside buildings.

Really, I think Crytek just didn't make enough variety in enemies. Woulda liked to see a meat shield type unit protecting the standard ceph soldier and some flying ones.

Halo, now that I think about it, really has a pretty good variety in enemie types.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

I thought they looked kinda cool, but was I the only one who thought of Hunters from Halo anytime they saw a heavy?NightmareCV

They seemed really familiar but I couldn't remember what they reminded me of. Now that you mention it, I think it was the hunters.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Their bodies are the orange/red blobs in the middle of their suits. They're based on on Cephalopods, a group of animals not even remotely similar to humans. Inconsistancy

They aren't bipeds, that's a suit, sorta like a mech. They are using tech to get an advantage in the environment, why would they want to remain inefficient. It's just logical. The octopus like aliens would be horrendously inefficient for navigating inside buildings.

Really, I think Crytek just didn't make enough variety in enemies. Woulda liked to see a meat shield type unit protecting the standard ceph soldier and some flying ones.

Halo, now that I think about it, really has a pretty good variety in enemie types.

That's my point though. I know the aliens themselves aren't bipeds but they're wearing a suit. It doesn't matter, its still a bidepal design choice on the developer's part. Its like people pretend that the story couldn't have been rewritten to fit a more imaginative design. It was still Crytek came up with these uninspired aliens and then half assed a story to go with it.

I wouldn't even have cared if there was some more variety. The first game had a lot of potential in the alien regard and they threw it away with this game. It all feels lazy to me. "So our aliens kind of look like squids, what's the technical name for squids? Cephalopods! We'll call the aliens Ceph!" Then they dropped all the big, mean looking Hunters for... human size robots. Damn it. Then the Pinder shows up and another uninspired design in the form of a walker.

If they added more "alien" aliens later on that functioned like the Hunters, or maybe even a boss fight similar to Crysis' ending, that would have been great. Give the game structure instead of fighting the same thing over and over and over. It didn't try to do anything new when there was already potential created in the first game, that's why I was disappointed.

Halo does have a good variety in enemies and the Covenant feels like a threatening force because of it. They have armor, shock troops, special forces, snipers, air support, and meat shields. Plus whatever category you'd file the Drones and Brutes under.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#30 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I think the Ceph are very cool aliens to fight. getting a close up to a dead one, i noticed it's basically a blob or gellatanous squid encased in armor.

Really neat twist on aliens i'd say.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
They're so boring to fight, I honestly prefer fighting the tridents in Far Cry more...
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Does anyone else think the Ceph soldier is like one of the coolest looking aliens ever?

Cephual seduction

NanosuitLover

I don't find it mind blowing. Well designed maybe. But I've seen better.

And ***Possible Spoiler***

Who said they're aliens?

NWA90s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NWA90s
Member since 2010 • 859 Posts

This is the coolest alien.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="NanosuitLover"]

Zero_epyon

Who said they're aliens?

The first game heavily suggested it with their distress beacon.

But who knows? Maybe they're from Earth, left, and made a civilization and came back for whatever reason.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Cephalopods are merely the order name for a group of animals on Earth, it includes squid, octopus, etc. It's no doubt that Crytek based them off of them, what with people calling them "squids" and Hardgreave saying that they undoubtedly evolved in an Ocean. Personally I think Crytek went with the exoskeleton route because combating the aliens in the first was easily the poorest part of the game. The change was merely for gameplay purposes.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="NanosuitLover"]

IndianaPwns39

Who said they're aliens?

But who knows? Maybe they're from Earth, left, and made a civilization and came back for whatever reason.

I think that's what happened. Something happened where they had to either leave or lay dormant until the planet became inhabitable again.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Their bodies are the orange/red blobs in the middle of their suits. They're based on on Cephalopods, a group of animals not even remotely similar to humans. HoolaHoopMan

Cephalopods are merely the order name for a group of animals on Earth, it includes squid, octopus, etc. It's no doubt that Crytek based them off of them, what with people calling them "squids" and Hardgreave saying that they undoubtedly evolved in an Ocean. Personally I think Crytek went with the exoskeleton route because combating the aliens in the first was easily the poorest part of the game. The change was merely for gameplay purposes.

You know, I'm pretty sure I read your sentence "Cephalopods, a group of aliens" and not animals. I read Led_poisons post where he says aliens and then yours and my mind didn't make the transfer :P But that's what I get for posting without proofreading.

I thought the Hunter fights were fun. They could have been implemented better but instead they abandoned it, which is a shame. I'm not completely against the new ones I just which there was more of them and variety.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] I don't find it mind blowing. Well designed maybe. But I've seen better.

Who said they're aliens?

Zero_epyon

I think that's what happened. Something happened where they had to either leave or lay dormant until the planet became inhabitable again.

Maybe the Ceph had something to do with the ice age. Which is something else I was sad to see not included in Crysis 2. A completely iced over NYC would have been cool.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

IndianaPwns39

Maybe the Ceph had something to do with the ice age. Which is something else I was sad to see not included in Crysis 2. A completely iced over NYC would have been cool.

The probably caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. Killed them off the same manor they're doing to us.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

Lame. You want cool aliens? Try Starcraft universe; Zerg & Protoss...

Archons, High Templars, Dark Templars, Roaches, Hydralisks, Queens and Zealots etc... those are cool!

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Surely, you jest!

dave00dance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dave00dance
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
ive got a theory why the aliens look so different from the original crysis,,, ok when that first alien ship crashes in the city your sent to retrive samples from the wreckage and its loaded with red biological goo analisis shows its human DNA...so basically those little insect bots are scooping up the dna from the melting virus victims and transporting it to ships where is taken someplace messed around with geneticaly by the aliens from crysis 1 and strapped in controll armor....thats why they look different to original aliens there bioweapons made from us YAY (it came to me when i noticed the little insect bots sticking needles in the dead bodies and extracting dna in the train tunnels)
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Surely, you jest!

Seiki_sands

Giygas is ******* terrifying, and the fact that [spoiler] it transforms into a mosaic that forms the shape of a fetus [/spoiler] makes it much more worse.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Nah, Predators and Xenomorphs are the coolest looking aliens ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
Massive bump